Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

My dad had like a 30 year old paint can of some sort of industrial carb dip, I dunked one of my old carbs and it came out shiny new in about a minute. Got some on my hands and it seriously felt like I had poured boiling water all over them instantaneously. Wonder what it was.

I miss that stuff... <sigh> :corsair:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

14 INCH DICK TURBO posted:

My dad had like a 30 year old paint can of some sort of industrial carb dip, I dunked one of my old carbs and it came out shiny new in about a minute. Got some on my hands and it seriously felt like I had poured boiling water all over them instantaneously. Wonder what it was.

Superfund site in a can. :v:

You can probably still get the stuff, whatever it is, but it definitely isn't sold over the AutoZone counter as carb cleaner.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I hear HFl is great for etching parts. Would it be overkill to wear gloves while I'm dunking engine components?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

You mean hydrofluoric acid, the stuff that penetrates your skin without a mark and then eats your bones? :psyduck: Yes, you should probably wear gloves.

wikipedia posted:

Hydrogen fluoride gas is a severe poison that may immediately and permanently damage lungs and the corneas of the eyes. Water solutions (hydrofluoric acid) are a contact-poison with the potential for deep, initially painless burns, with later tissue death. By interfering with body calcium metabolism, the concentrated acid may also cause systemic toxicity and eventual cardiac arrest and fatality, after contact with as little as 160 cm2 (24.8 square inches) of skin.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

thelightguy posted:

You mean hydrofluoric acid, the stuff that penetrates your skin without a mark and then eats your bones? :psyduck: Yes, you should probably wear gloves.
Also don't forget that it's one of the few acids that will dissolve glass. :staredog:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

peepsalot posted:

Also don't forget that it's one of the few acids that will dissolve glass. :staredog:

gutta percha 4 lyfe

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
I am very familiar with good ol' aircraft remover. When I was 12-14 my dad would make me strip bike frames with it for 15 bucks a piece, which I may or may not have gotten because he "didn't have the money right now goddamnit stop asking or you won't get it ever."

It's weird stuff, slather it on like barbecue sauce and let it sit for 15-20 minutes. Depending on the paint, sometimes it makes a nice dramatic crackling and everything comes off really quickly like on that jeep, and sometimes it just makes the paint soft enough to scrape off. Even though it goes right through paint, it doesn't hurt rubber kitchen gloves and if you douse it with water it gets immediately deactivated and changes from a thick liquid to something that very closely resembles mucus. If you get it on your skin it starts to burn in a weird way, almost like very strong menthol.

I'm pretty sure it's called aircraft remover because it was developed for use on aircraft where sandblasting would be too abrasive on the aluminum.

Also, picture of a small mechanical failure that caused the particularly horrific mechanical failure at Reno:

something something joke about aircraft remover :v:

i own every Bionicle fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Sep 19, 2011

JD Brickmeister
Sep 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Wojcigitty posted:

Also, picture of a small mechanical failure that caused the particularly horrific mechanical failure at Reno:

something something joke about aircraft remover :v:

Isn't that like an aileron for the aileron? It's hard to believe that something that minor could cause such trouble, but I guess when you're 100 feet off the ground going 400 mph there is no such thing as a minor problem...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

JD Brickmeister posted:

Isn't that like an aileron for the aileron? It's hard to believe that something that minor could cause such trouble, but I guess when you're 100 feet off the ground going 400 mph there is no such thing as a minor problem...

ailerons are on the wings and control direction... that is (was) an elevator flap. You lose one of those and you lose the ability control whether you are going straight ahead, up, or down. That's how he ended up going straight into the ground in the middle of the crowd instead of flying over them.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

JD Brickmeister posted:

It's a trim tab for the elevator. By adjusting the angle that that tab has with the elevator, you adjust where the elevator wants to stay with no pressure on the stick. When it broke like that it became impossible for the elevator to be moved...or at least that's what I read elsewhere on the internet.

flacoman954
Nov 9, 2009
Aircraft paint remover doesn't have any free hydrogen ,so it doesn't embrittle metals it touches. IIRC YMMV et.al

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Why don't they just use crushed walnut shells instead?

Interesting fact about crushed walnut shells:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_CH-47_Chinook#Notable_accidents_and_incidents posted:

On 11 September 1982, at an airshow in Mannheim, Germany a United States Army Chinook (serial number 74-22292) carrying parachutists crashed, killing 46 people. The crash was later found to be caused by an accumulation of ground walnut shells that had been used to clean the machinery.[79][80][81]

They were using them to clean certain hydraulic control parts and they clogged up the hydraulic lines, causing that incident. So they don't use 'em for that purpose no mo.*

*edit: actually not, see 2 post down VVVV

whose tuggin fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 19, 2011

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Plain old FOD there. Someone didn't do their inspection properly.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

The Scientist posted:

They were using them to clean certain hydraulic control parts and they clogged up the hydraulic lines, causing that incident. So they don't use 'em for that purpose no mo.

No, they used them to clean transmissions during overhauls, and they didn't clean this one out enough when they were done with it, for whatever reason, and the grit blocked the lubrication channels, leading to failure of a journal bearing for the input pinion. The hydraulic system wasn't involved at all.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

Phanatic posted:

No, they used them to clean transmissions during overhauls, and they didn't clean this one out enough when they were done with it, for whatever reason, and the grit blocked the lubrication channels, leading to failure of a journal bearing for the input pinion. The hydraulic system wasn't involved at all.

Oh ok, thanks for that. I was trying to find the episode of the History channel's "Modern Marvels: Engineering Disasters" that I first saw it on, but couldn't so just used that wiki article referencing it. Does anyone recall a similar crash attributed to walnut shells involving a blackhawk instead of a chinook? Maybe I'm mis-remembering that part, as well.

JD Brickmeister
Sep 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The Scientist posted:

walnut shells

Peanuts are bad luck at auto races for some reason.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

thelightguy posted:

He was making fun of people for using aircraft remover without gloves (I hope)

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

heat posted:

He was making fun of people for using aircraft remover without gloves (I hope)

We have a winner!

Actually, skin and eye protection are a good idea with pretty much any cleaning agent/solvent stronger than ammonia, especially where prolonged or repeated exposure is involved.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Shroomie posted:

Pinion bearing failure?

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

DJ Commie posted:

Pinion bearing failure?

Something along those lines, I don't really remember. I just found it while digging through a pile of old, useless car parts.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Looks like an outer pinion bearing failure to me.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

DJ Commie posted:

Pinion bearing failure?

I have seen this a few times. Pinion bearing failure, even the pinion nut backing off can cause this.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Coasterphreak posted:

We have a winner!

Actually, skin and eye protection are a good idea with pretty much any cleaning agent/solvent stronger than ammonia, especially where prolonged or repeated exposure is involved.

Protip: Brake cleaner destroys nitrile gloves. The typical blue gloves shrivel up and look like they have goosebumps before falling apart.

DELETED fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 19, 2011

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

DELETED posted:

Protip: Brake cleaner destroys latex gloves. The typical blue gloves shrivel up and look like they have goosebumps before falling apart.

What about nitrile gloves?

thealphabetsez
Jun 1, 2004

EightBit posted:

Nitrile are a good "base" glove. I wear a pair of either latex or nitrile under my acid gloves not only out of practice from work, but preventative measure in the event the acid gloves had a pinhole or other tear.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

EightBit posted:

Scratch that, I meant nitrile.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

DELETED posted:

Scratch that, I meant nitrile.

Good thing I don't brush my teeth with that stuff, unlike some of you guys.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

B4Ctom1 posted:

I have seen this a few times. Pinion bearing failure, even the pinion nut backing off can cause this.

forgot that one, yeah that can cause it too... ALWAYS USE A BRAND NEW PINION NUT FOR FINAL ASSEMBLY! Hell, you should probably use a new one for setup as well, though it can be a regular grade 8 or ISO PC 10.9 not one of the special staked all-metal locknuts specifically for pinion usage. A friend of mine wrecked a brand new gearset trying to save a few bucks by doing his setup using the old factory nut, it rounded off a couple threads and then stripped out.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009
The talk of HF reminded me of this blog post on some other "interesting" chemistry involving fluorine: http://pipeline.corante.com/archives/2010/02/23/things_i_wont_work_with_dioxygen_difluoride.php

quote:

Even Streng had to give up on some of the planned experiments, though (bonus dormitat Strengus?). Sulfur compounds defeated him, because the thermodynamics were just too titanic. Hydrogen sulfide, for example, reacts with four molecules of FOOF to give sulfur hexafluoride, 2 molecules of HF and four oxygens. . .and 433 kcal, which is the kind of every-man-for-himself exotherm that you want to avoid at all cost. The sulfur chemistry of FOOF remains unexplored, so if you feel like whipping up a batch of Satan's kimchi, go right ahead.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

The Electronaut posted:

The talk of HF reminded me of this blog post on some other "interesting" chemistry involving fluorine: http://pipeline.corante.com/archives/2010/02/23/things_i_wont_work_with_dioxygen_difluoride.php

One of my favorite blogs... PS, ClF3 (yup, holy poo poo, you can start running now) is even worse than FOOF. It's a stronger oxidizer than oxygen and will spontaneously combust on contact with such reactive things as wet sand, asbestos fireproofing, cement, rock, glassware, lab assistants, etc. Same guy has a pretty good article on it, I think it's titled "wet sand won't save you now".

During one of the world wars (iirc) they had mixed up A TON OF IT (literally) and somehow (unsurprisingly) it got spilled or the containment was broken. As a result it ate a significant hole through a thick cement floor and consumed the sand and gravel under the floor leaving approximately a 1 meter deep crater, and spewed wonderful fluorine and chlorine based chemical vapors and acid fogs everywhere in the process. I wish I had pictures of this...

e: http://pipeline.corante.com/archives/2008/02/26/sand_wont_save_you_this_time.php

kastein fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Sep 20, 2011

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

kastein posted:

One of my favorite blogs... PS, ClF3 (yup, holy poo poo, you can start running now) is even worse than FOOF. It's a stronger oxidizer than oxygen and will spontaneously combust on contact with such reactive things as wet sand, asbestos fireproofing, cement, rock, glassware, lab assistants, etc. Same guy has a pretty good article on it, I think it's titled "wet sand won't save you now".

All this talk of horrible sulphur and flouride compounds, and yet sulphur hexaflouride is inert and completely harmless. Hell, think about how dangerous "sodium chloride" sounds for a second.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

All this talk of horrible sulphur and flouride compounds, and yet sulphur hexaflouride is inert and completely harmless.

Yeah, but it exists in equilibrium with S2F10, which is really NOT harmless. Those guys doing the anti-helium voice thing with SF6 on youtube? They're idiots.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Captain Postal posted:

Yeah, but it exists in equilibrium with S2F10, which is really NOT harmless. Those guys doing the anti-helium voice thing with SF6 on youtube? They're idiots.

Yeah, but it's still hilarious and you can do it with xenon instead, which just works kinda like nitrous oxide.

I love how Wikipedia states that S2F10 is a possibly by-product of electrically decomposed SF6 and that SF6 is an essentially inert insulator used in high voltage systems such as transmission lines, substations and switchgear.

:supaburn:

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah, but it's still hilarious and you can do it with xenon instead, which just works kinda like nitrous oxide.

I love how Wikipedia states that S2F10 is a possibly by-product of electrically decomposed SF6 and that SF6 is an essentially inert insulator used in high voltage systems such as transmission lines, substations and switchgear.

:supaburn:

Its also what they inject into your eyeball if your retina detaches. The pressure holds it in place while it hopefully regrows. The SF6 eventually works its way out via osmosis.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

kastein posted:

One of my favorite blogs... PS, ClF3.

e: http://pipeline.corante.com/archives/2008/02/26/sand_wont_save_you_this_time.php

That quote from Ignition! is great:

quote:

It is also hypergolic with such things as cloth, wood, and test engineers, not to mention asbestos, sand, and water-with which it reacts explosively.

Ossetepo
Mar 12, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

All this talk of horrible sulphur and flouride compounds, and yet sulphur hexaflouride is inert and completely harmless. Hell, think about how dangerous "sodium chloride" sounds for a second.

Speaking as someone who has a disciplinary action in my employee file that says, essentially, "stop labeling bottles as "dihydrogen monoxide" and leaving them places where inter-departmental auditors can see them", I can attest that otherwise-educated people will freak the gently caress out over chemical names.

As far as SF6 being harmless, I wish someone had told the EPA and the NRC before they made us both replace all of our gas-insulated switchgear and promise to never, ever use SF6 as a tracer gas for air inleakage ever again.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ossetepo posted:

As far as SF6 being harmless, I wish someone had told the EPA and the NRC before they made us both replace all of our gas-insulated switchgear and promise to never, ever use SF6 as a tracer gas for air inleakage ever again.

That may have something to do with SF6 being a greenhouse gas more than 22,000 times more potent than CO2 ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
We use a ton of SF6 in radar operations.