Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thenipwax
Jun 20, 2001

by Ozmaugh

Wagonburner posted:

Mcdonald's nuggets are pretty clearly real white meat unless they are able to fake it somehow.

Of course they fake it. If you open a nugget, you can clearly tell the texture is that of a processed paste formed into a nugget shape. I'm sure they just bleach the meat or some poo poo to make it white. I'm not saying nuggets are the worst thing ever, but there is clearly a huge jump in quality when you go to the popcorn chicken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So I was wondering about these "multigrain" products, and what could possibly be so much healthier about having multiple kinds of grain as opposed to just one.

Turns out that wasn't always the way they were marketed.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Thenipwax posted:

Of course they fake it. If you open a nugget, you can clearly tell the texture is that of a processed paste formed into a nugget shape. I'm sure they just bleach the meat or some poo poo to make it white. I'm not saying nuggets are the worst thing ever, but there is clearly a huge jump in quality when you go to the popcorn chicken.

Maybe it's just a regional thing? I dunno, for me they have white meat that pulls apart in strings/fibers just like any real chicken, not the gross poo poo they used to be made of.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Turns out that wasn't always the way they were marketed.

This is one reason why I'm afraid to venture out of the suburbs, the possibility that I'll see a group of neighborhood toughs sitting on the dingy steps of an apartment building breaking into song. We have no apartments and we have lots of police.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 19, 2011

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Wagonburner posted:

Maybe it's just a regional thing? I dunno, for me they have white meat that pulls apart in strings/fibers just like any real chicken, not the gross poo poo they used to be made of.

I think they've changed it in the last year or so to be more real chicken than mechanically seperated whatever, but so many people got so frightened from finding out about that pink goop they used to make it out of that they haven't gone back since. I know I haven't.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
If there's one thing that's worse than seeing an awful commerical it's seeing the same bland spot during every...single...break. Like that Audi one during the Emmys last night.

I don't care about careless loving roads and people anymore! I just want Audi to die and stop showing this crap.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

SpacePig posted:

I think they've changed it in the last year or so to be more real chicken than mechanically seperated whatever, but so many people got so frightened from finding out about that pink goop they used to make it out of that they haven't gone back since. I know I haven't.

You eat the McNuggets for the dipping sauce, not for the realistic chicken texture. Also, the Sweet n Sour is the best dipping sauce for nuggets and anyone who says otherwise is wrong. :colbert:

As far as the Multi-grain Cheerios thing goes, I actually prefer the older one. Makes it sound more delicious than the current commercials. Making it out to be health food is going to make me think it tastes like cardboard. The old commercial makes me think that rice, oats, etc etc, would taste loving great together!

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The J-Lo Fiat ad was on during literally every commercial break during the NFL games on CBS yesterday. Holy poo poo, that was awful.

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Wagonburner posted:

"fiber one? this taste's like jack's cereal"
"oh no I forgot jack's cereal"
"hay jack, try this number one cereal"
THIS. Jesus Christ this commercial makes me LIVID. Who the hell is so permissive with a 10 year old kid that they are AFRAID to tell the kid the cereal isn't "His." This kid is way too old to be allowed to be that picky an eater. My 11 year old saw this and said "That kid's a jerk, he needs to get over it."
If I buy Corn Flakes, my kids eat Corn Flakes. Or they just don't get cereal.
If I buy kiddy cereal it's because they DESERVE it, not because they are entitled to special kids cereal because they won't eat the healthy stuff and then I eat most of it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Stairs posted:

If I buy kiddy cereal it's because they DESERVE it, not because they are entitled to special kids cereal because they won't eat the healthy stuff and then I eat most of it.

Nobody deserves to eat a bowl of Fruit Loops you monster!

Tragedienne
Sep 7, 2007

"I need your stage no longer. I dance for myself."
eBay has a new commercial. A man is laughed at and mocked for bringing pen and paper to a meeting where everyone else has a tablet. So while they are doing this, making various comments about how pens are obsolete, he is on his phone buying a tablet on eBay, and then brags about it to everyone.

It's not that it's annoying like so many others on this list, it's just mindnumbingly stupid.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

raditts posted:

I've always hated that "where on a chicken is a nugget" saying because it's so goddamn stupid. Where on the cow is a hamburger? Where on a pig is the bacon?

Which is still loving dumb, because where's the popcorn on a chicken, huh? :colbert:

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Hate on that one all you want, but Sexy Grandpa Time is fantastic and I don't know why.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

100 Years in Iraq posted:

Which is still loving dumb, because where's the popcorn on a chicken, huh? :colbert:

We used to feed popcorn to the chickens.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Rhyno posted:

We used to feed popcorn to the chickens.
Chickens are barbaric little dinosaurs, I bet I could feed them nuggets and they would eat them.

I just saw some commercial for Toyota Prius that disturbed the hell out of me. It's some big man made up of people doing poo poo like brushing his teeth and whatnot. Then they get outside and break up and go to their separate cars. It was freaky as poo poo. Not as hosed up as that one commercial for honda or whatever where everything in it was a person (the flowers, the grass, etc) but still pretty hosed up.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Chickens are barbaric little dinosaurs, I bet I could feed them nuggets and they would eat them.

I just saw some commercial for Toyota Prius that disturbed the hell out of me. It's some big man made up of people doing poo poo like brushing his teeth and whatnot. Then they get outside and break up and go to their separate cars. It was freaky as poo poo. Not as hosed up as that one commercial for honda or whatever where everything in it was a person (the flowers, the grass, etc) but still pretty hosed up.

The Prius has been a purchase that you make because you want to be a member of a group ever since its release. I'm just chuckling that they're now so openly blatant about it. Nobody who wants to 'go green' and does their homework ends up picking out a Prius.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Tragedienne posted:

eBay has a new commercial. A man is laughed at and mocked for bringing pen and paper to a meeting where everyone else has a tablet. So while they are doing this, making various comments about how pens are obsolete, he is on his phone buying a tablet on eBay, and then brags about it to everyone.

It's not that it's annoying like so many others on this list, it's just mindnumbingly stupid.

It's annoying because it's saying if you don't have *newest tech item* then you should be mocked until you 'show' everyone and buy one.

And in a year they'll have new commercials with the same office meeting and that dude is being mocked because, scoff, he only has a first gen tablet and we all upgraded already so what's your problem dude? You too poor to drop $2,000 a year on needless tech upgrades? But you're white and work in an office, of course you need the most up to date stuff what will others think if they see you?!

As you can tell I think this new yearly ipod/ipad/iphone thing is disgusting but I doubt most people share or agree with my view.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 18 days!)

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

It's annoying because it's saying if you don't have *newest tech item* then you should be mocked until you 'show' everyone and buy one.

And in a year they'll have new commercials with the same office meeting and that dude is being mocked because, scoff, he only has a first gen tablet and we all upgraded already so what's your problem dude? You too poor to drop $2,000 a year on needless tech upgrades? But you're white and work in an office, of course you need the most up to date stuff what will others think if they see you?!

As you can tell I think this new yearly ipod/ipad/iphone thing is disgusting but I doubt most people share or agree with my view.

Nah I'm with you.

I honestly thought the commercial would flip around at the end and the guy with the pen would have the last laugh but nope.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Peanut President posted:

Nah I'm with you.

I honestly thought the commercial would flip around at the end and the guy with the pen would have the last laugh but nope.

Yeah, I was really hoping this, but by halfway through it, I figured it would be an "awesome tablet" ad. And then I was wrong again, as it was an eBay ad! That had so little to do with eBay that it was honestly mind-boggling!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I always liked their old "On eBay" commercial

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

That was indeed a great ad. Weren't there more in that series?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Rhyno posted:

That was indeed a great ad. Weren't there more in that series?

There was the do you know the way to use ebay? one.

E: and "Do it Ebay"

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I like those eBay commercials, but I can't say that I agree with the core concept of them. There are a lot of ads out there that take a well-know song, change the lyrics to fit their thing, and then do some dumb series of ads with it. While I was watching that "That's on eBay!" commercial just now, all I could think of was UPS's dumb "That's Logistics!" campaign, and I got kind of angry.

e: I think the difference is that the eBay commercials have people that seem to know how ridiculous it is, and are trying to have fun doing it, while others actually try to get the ads taken seriously.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Have you seen that commercial for a site you can sell your gadgets to that will re-sell or recycle them? They talk about how it's the responsible thing to do. The real responsible thing would be to not cultivate such a tech fetish that you need to buy a new tablet or camera or whatever every year.

Also, a guy with a Hummer and a ten minute commute is "greener" than a guy with a Prius and an hour and a half commute.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

The Moon Monster posted:

Have you seen that commercial for a site you can sell your gadgets to that will re-sell or recycle them? They talk about how it's the responsible thing to do. The real responsible thing would be to not cultivate such a tech fetish that you need to buy a new tablet or camera or whatever every year.

Don't those companies just send the hardware to third world countries where kids get paid pennies a day to smash them and salvage some of the plastic/metal on the inside? And it's still dangerous and toxic?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

ElwoodCuse posted:

And it's still dangerous and toxic?

Dangerous and toxic on the other side of the earth. :cheers:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

The most carbon-friendly car is a used one: so much energy is used making a car that you'd need to drive your prius a few decades before the savings would make up for it.

For highest fuel-efficiency, get a pickup, carry a dozen people at once, and drive about ten miles an hour once a day to the marketplace and back.

I'd love to see that commercial. Or one that pointed that out and then finished with "...So gently caress the earth! Buy our SUV!"

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Doc Hawkins posted:

I'd love to see that commercial. Or one that pointed that out and then finished with "...So gently caress the earth! Buy our SUV!"

One of my favorite Reno 911 bits was when they got the Hummer for the department, and the one guy says "the way I see it, if we use up all the oil, we win, because then there's nothing they can hold over our heads anymore."

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

The commercial with all the people as flowers and grass was also for the Toyota Prius, so apparently it's just a creepy car.

Continuing sort of in the same vein as "commercial couples hate each other" is a commercial for 1-800-Dentist. The ad ends with their number the slogan "Sometimes your family is useless" in giant letters. I guess it's technically true but really? :psyduck:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

ElwoodCuse posted:

Don't those companies just send the hardware to third world countries where kids get paid pennies a day to smash them and salvage some of the plastic/metal on the inside? And it's still dangerous and toxic?

They had some 60 Minutes/Dateline expose on recycling electronics and how a majority get sent to this one spot in asia making it the most polluted/dangerous place on earth.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Classtoise posted:

Hate on that one all you want, but Sexy Grandpa Time is fantastic and I don't know why.

I have yet to see a Geico or Aflac commercial I genuinely dislike. Power to them.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ElwoodCuse posted:

Well, on the commercial they quote prices like "We gave so and so 580 dollars for his digital camera" so they must resell the stuff they get that hasn't massively depreciated in value. I don't doubt that for the majority of the stuff they get they'll give you 5 dollars and just scrap it, though.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Pink's "Raise Your Glass" is one of the most obnoxious songs I've heard in months, and now it's running in the background of no less than 3 commercials right now.

It's become such a bad earworm that I've woken up two mornings in a row with that drat song as the first thought that enters my mind and the last thing I remember before I go to sleep.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
The Volvo ad about the car being a pro wrestler is quite weird.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

The J-Lo Fiat ad was on during literally every commercial break during the NFL games on CBS yesterday. Holy poo poo, that was awful.

"The Fiat 500: small enough to save gas, big enough to carry J-Lo's rear end"

Firmy Shoyombo
Apr 3, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Toyota is raising the bar with these two obnoxious commercials

"This is living"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUGmcb3mhLM

"I'm basically killing it out here"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCUQYORDYIw

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Tired of the Weight Watcher ad with the lady singing the same one hit she had. Wouldn't be a problem if it was just one commercial, but there are multiple ads with her as their spoke model, and she always singing the same song in every single one of them!

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Rirse posted:

Tired of the Weight Watcher ad with the lady singing the same one hit she had. Wouldn't be a problem if it was just one commercial, but there are multiple ads with her as their spoke model, and she always singing the same song in every single one of them!

The bitch of it is that it's not even her song:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feeling_Good

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.

Rirse posted:

The guys one is worse.

:smug: - "I look better than you."

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Rirse posted:

It wouldn't be quite so obnoxious if her idea of singing didn't boil down to "stretch one note out for as long and needlessly as possible." I'm not saying she doesn't have talent and sometimes that works well in a song, but she kind of overdoes it in that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
SCREEAAAAWWWW I'm kickin' coney- and so forth.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opTjHUv8pDA
gently caress Sonic.