Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Crazy has and always will be a way to discredit or otherwise demean a woman's thoughts and opinions
Oh, one more thing. Does anyone know of a good .edb to .pst recovery tool that will actually let you do a test extract? I'm leery of paying $300-$1000 for something I can't test fully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

SmellsOfFriendship posted:

Oh, one more thing. Does anyone know of a good .edb to .pst recovery tool that will actually let you do a test extract? I'm leery of paying $300-$1000 for something I can't test fully.

http://www.krollontrack.com/software/powercontrols/

Call them and talk to them, powercontrols has saved my rear end multiple times.

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Crazy has and always will be a way to discredit or otherwise demean a woman's thoughts and opinions

Nebulis01 posted:

http://www.krollontrack.com/software/powercontrols/

Call them and talk to them, powercontrols has saved my rear end multiple times.

I tried using the eval version. They won't let you extract, which totally sucks. I get why, they don't want people using it without purchasing it for like one or two mailboxes. But I can't justify the cost without proving the data comes out and is acceptable.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

I tried using the eval version. They won't let you extract, which totally sucks. I get why, they don't want people using it without purchasing it for like one or two mailboxes. But I can't justify the cost without proving the data comes out and is acceptable.

Call them and get a 30day key, they will give you one, they did for us.

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Nebulis01 posted:

Oh sweet, you're an angel. We're a 503c too!

SmellsOfFriendship
May 2, 2008

Nebulis01 posted:

Total jerks as it turns out. I tried to explain the situation and that I'm on a really tight deadline. They flat out refused.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

Total jerks as it turns out. I tried to explain the situation and that I'm on a really tight deadline. They flat out refused.

:( I'm sorry man

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010
Hey guys, my boss want's me to generate a Powershell report on how many e-mails she receives on a day to day basis... :iiam:

I have googled some stuff but can't really come up with anything.

I have tried Get-MailboxStatistics and GetMessageTrackingReport cmdlets and while they give me good information I can't narrow down just raw received e-mails on a daily basis.

Anyone have ideas?

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

johnnyonetime posted:

Hey guys, my boss want's me to generate a Powershell report on how many e-mails she receives on a day to day basis... :iiam:

I have googled some stuff but can't really come up with anything.

I have tried Get-MailboxStatistics and GetMessageTrackingReport cmdlets and while they give me good information I can't narrow down just raw received e-mails on a daily basis.

Anyone have ideas?

Pretty sure the EPA will do that.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=10559

You won't be able to track daily message counts via the shell since I don't think that statistic is kept. And performance counters could possibly be set to see how many messages a mailbox gets per second(?). To get an actual count you will need to use a tool that scans the tracking logs.

Blame Pyrrhus fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Sep 16, 2011

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010

Linux Nazi posted:

Pretty sure the EPA will do that.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=10559

You won't be able to track daily message counts via the shell since I don't think that statistic is kept. And performance counters could possibly be set to see how many messages a mailbox gets per second(?). To get an actual count you will need to use a tool that scans the tracking logs.

Thanks! Unfortunately we are using hosted Exchange with Live@EDU and I'm not familiar with a way to check against our server out in the wild.

Maybe if I setup SSO with the hosted Exchange the Profile Analyzer will successfully connect.

Thanks for the tip

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

Oh sweet, you're an angel. We're a 503c too!

Get a TechSoup account and see if you qualify for donated software. Microsoft puts a lot of good stuff out there for close to nothing.

Italy's Chicken
Feb 25, 2001

cs is for cheaters
Cached exchange mode is the loving devil. Does anyone know how to recover a the contents of a giant OST file? I see there's lots of chargeable software that claim to convert OST into PST, but we have no money to spend on a single users problem.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Why do you need to recover it? Just delete it and let it re-build from the server?

Altimeter
Sep 10, 2003

Not sure if this is in the right place or not, but hopefully someone can help me out. I'm trying to see if there is a way to see what iOS version a device connected to Exchange Activesync is at. If possible, I'd like to check a list of maybe 50 users in a quick manner. Is this doable?

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
for exchange 2003, if you have HTTP logging on on your frontend server, you can use logparser to query for requests where cs-uri-stem is the activesync path and ask for cs-username and cs(user-agent). the user-agent for iphones is something like Apple-iPhone3C1/812.1, the part before the slash is the hardware model and the part after the slash corresponds to an iOS version (there's some docs on apple's site about how to figure out what those numbers correspond to). Not real easy to do as just a one time thing but if you have to do it repeatedly it's easy enough to setup.

exchange 2007/2010 probably does it alot better, but i haven't used those.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
I have seen this issue pop up on Exchange 2010, and I am wondering if any of you have seen it or know of a fix.

A user sends an email to say 10 external recipients. 9 of those 10 recipients are valid, but 1 of them isn't. The email goes out to the 9 mailboxes, but the 10th one gets rejected (with say a 4xx or 5xx error) and the entire message goes back in the Exchange queue. A minute later, the email goes out again to the 9 mailboxes, but the 10th one gets rejected. Repeat indefinitely until the 9 working users all get TONS of copies of the email, while the messages is still stuck in my Exchange queue waiting on the 10th person's mailbox to start working.

It seems like Exchange doesn't split the message into 10 different pieces, but rather sends it as one big push and will restart from scratch any time one piece of the push fails.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Mutar posted:

Not sure if this is in the right place or not, but hopefully someone can help me out. I'm trying to see if there is a way to see what iOS version a device connected to Exchange Activesync is at. If possible, I'd like to check a list of maybe 50 users in a quick manner. Is this doable?

For exchange 2010 (not sure on 2007) there is a cmdlet that will output this for you.

Something like:
code:
Get-ActiveSyncDevice|fl identity,name,devicetype,deviceuseragent
Will tell you the name of the device, the type of device, the version of the useragent, and the mailbox that is utilizing the device.
code:
Identity        : domain.local/Users/Test Testington/ExchangeActiveSyncDevices/iPad§ApplDLFFL6KDUJHG
Name            : iPad§ApplDLFFL6KDUJHG
DeviceType      : iPad
DeviceUserAgent : Apple-iPad2C3/808.8

Blame Pyrrhus fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 20, 2011

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

madsushi posted:

I have seen this issue pop up on Exchange 2010, and I am wondering if any of you have seen it or know of a fix.

A user sends an email to say 10 external recipients. 9 of those 10 recipients are valid, but 1 of them isn't. The email goes out to the 9 mailboxes, but the 10th one gets rejected (with say a 4xx or 5xx error) and the entire message goes back in the Exchange queue. A minute later, the email goes out again to the 9 mailboxes, but the 10th one gets rejected. Repeat indefinitely until the 9 working users all get TONS of copies of the email, while the messages is still stuck in my Exchange queue waiting on the 10th person's mailbox to start working.

It seems like Exchange doesn't split the message into 10 different pieces, but rather sends it as one big push and will restart from scratch any time one piece of the push fails.

This isn't typical. The bad recipient should generate an NDR that gets kicked back to the sender and that is it. I've not seen it behave any other way. Even if it is sent to a distro group with external contacts as members, and one of those contacts is bad it should gracefully kick back an NDR to the sender.

I can't imagine a scenario where this would not be the case, unless you are relaying to a smarthost that is re-submitting the messages.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Linux Nazi posted:

For exchange 2010 (not sure on 2007) there is a cmdlet that will output this for you.

Something like:
code:
Get-ActiveSyncDevice|fl identity,name,devicetype,deviceuseragent
Will tell you the name of the device, the type of device, the version of the useragent, and the mailbox that is utilizing the device.
code:
Identity        : domain.local/Users/Test Testington/ExchangeActiveSyncDevices/iPad§ApplDLFFL6KDUJHG
Name            : iPad§ApplDLFFL6KDUJHG
DeviceType      : iPad
DeviceUserAgent : Apple-iPad2C3/808.8

Exchange 2007:
code:
[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-ActiveSyncDeviceStatistics -mailbox:bonerpillz | fl identity,name,devicetype,deviceuseragent

Identity        : [email]bonerpillz@i.have.viag[/email]ra\AirSync-iPhone-Appl12345ABCDE
DeviceType      : iPhone
DeviceUserAgent : Apple-iPhone3C1/810.2

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

Linux Nazi posted:

This isn't typical. The bad recipient should generate an NDR that gets kicked back to the sender and that is it. I've not seen it behave any other way. Even if it is sent to a distro group with external contacts as members, and one of those contacts is bad it should gracefully kick back an NDR to the sender.

I can't imagine a scenario where this would not be the case, unless you are relaying to a smarthost that is re-submitting the messages.

We are relaying through a smarthost outbound (Postini), but the message definitely gets stuck in our queue and keeps retrying. If the error code we get back is serious (e.g. no such mailbox) it works fine, but if the error code is like "Please Retry Later" then it just keeps trying. I will see if it occurs if we don't relay through Postini. Thanks for the tip.

Drumstick
Jun 20, 2006
Lord of cacti
I have a user that is missing the junk email folder in Outlook, but it is there in OWA. How can I fix this?

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Drumstick posted:

I have a user that is missing the junk email folder in Outlook, but it is there in OWA. How can I fix this?

Easy answer? Kill the outlook profile entirely and re-create it. If it's there in OWA then it's part of their store, they've just managed to mask it somehow. Re-creating the profile will set most of the settings back to default.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Drumstick posted:

outlook.exe /resetnavpane

if that doesn't work try

outlook.exe /resetfolders

Bookmark this site for a nice list of outlook.exe switches, they come in handy sometimes.

http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/commandlineswitches.htm

NinjaPablo
Nov 20, 2003

Ewww it's all sticky...
Grimey Drawer
For some reason, the free/busy folder on my 2003 server isn't replicating to my 2010 server. I've created a public folder DB on 2010, and other folders seem to replicate to it fine. I've added the 2010 server as a replication partner for the Schedule+ Free Busy Information folder on the 2003 server, it just never replicates.

On 2010, I keep getting this error in the event log - "Couldn't find an Exchange 2010 or later public folder server with a replica for the free/busy folder: EX:/O=example/OU=example.". The event log on the 2003 server doesn't have any errors.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

NinjaPablo posted:

For some reason, the free/busy folder on my 2003 server isn't replicating to my 2010 server. I've created a public folder DB on 2010, and other folders seem to replicate to it fine. I've added the 2010 server as a replication partner for the Schedule+ Free Busy Information folder on the 2003 server, it just never replicates.

On 2010, I keep getting this error in the event log - "Couldn't find an Exchange 2010 or later public folder server with a replica for the free/busy folder: EX:/O=example/OU=example.". The event log on the 2003 server doesn't have any errors.

Have you manually added the replica for the schedule+ free busy on the Exchange 2010 side? Give this KB a look. check your replicas property on the "\NON_IPM_SUBTREE\SCHEDULE+ FREE BUSY" folder to make sure that it includes all of the replica partners you are expecting.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Elvis is dead, Sinatra is dead, and me I feel also not so good.
My brain is playing tricks with me. I have a client with about 45 users, but a bunch of generic e-mail addresses. I only need CALs for the actual users accessing the server right?

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Mithra6 posted:

My brain is playing tricks with me. I have a client with about 45 users, but a bunch of generic e-mail addresses. I only need CALs for the actual users accessing the server right?

1 CAL per mailbox. If the mailbox as 20 e-mail domains attached to it, it is still only 1 CAL.

e: If in doubt go run the organizational summary in the management console and it will give you an exact count of CALs that you require.

Blame Pyrrhus fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 28, 2011

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Does anyone know if you can disable hyperlink filtering/blocking in OWA 2007?

We've got a couple internal web-apps that I have no control over the HTML format of the email it sends; but it freaks out over the link format.

Google doenst indicate any way to disable this, but anyone know of something?

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Walked posted:

Does anyone know if you can disable hyperlink filtering/blocking in OWA 2007?

We've got a couple internal web-apps that I have no control over the HTML format of the email it sends; but it freaks out over the link format.

Google doenst indicate any way to disable this, but anyone know of something?

Are you referring to this issue?

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Linux Nazi posted:

Are you referring to this issue?

Yes, that's the exact one.

Looking for a way around it, that doesnt involve Exchange 2010.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Walked posted:

Can you give an example of one of the URLs that OWA2007 is blocking?

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

Walked posted:

Behavior by design, corrected in 2010 obviously, but when you see the "Workaround" worded that way consider it a big ol' WONTFIX.

It isn't a bug, so much as a poor design decision. But then again, Exchange 2007 was full of poor design decisions, the awkward pubescence between 2003 and 2010. Your correction is likely going to be change the way the HTML is generating the links, or ~*~update~*~.

MrDoDo
Jun 27, 2004

You better remember quick before we haul your sweet ass down to the precinct.
I am curious about what peoples opinions are on backing up exchange 2010. Do you just using Windows Server Backup, a third party software solution, or can you simply just do a VSS copy of the data directory?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Any good books to learn about exchange 2010? I haven't worked with it in a while

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

MrDoDo posted:

I am curious about what peoples opinions are on backing up exchange 2010. Do you just using Windows Server Backup, a third party software solution, or can you simply just do a VSS copy of the data directory?

I have seen a change from backup exec towards backups at a vmware or SAN level. It's nice. You don't get granular recovery anymore but the deleted item retention in exchange can be tweaked to get around that. If someone wants an email back they deleted 6 months ago they're out of luck but whatever.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

MrDoDo posted:

You can use Windows Server Backup, but a third-party Exchange-aware VSS backup app is probably what most people are going to be using. We're using DPM here (though just on Exchange2007) and it works fine. It also has the benefit of being able to backup passive mailbox databases.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
We're definitely a BackupExec shop as the owner of the company wants to be able to go back up to a year to recover accidentally deleted items.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

sanchez posted:

I have seen a change from backup exec towards backups at a vmware or SAN level. It's nice. You don't get granular recovery anymore but the deleted item retention in exchange can be tweaked to get around that. If someone wants an email back they deleted 6 months ago they're out of luck but whatever.

As long as you have a copy of the database you can mount it as a recovery database and get whatever you want out of it.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Linux Nazi posted:

As long as you have a copy of the database you can mount it as a recovery database and get whatever you want out of it.

Ugh. That's what email vaults are for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Speaking of email vaults... Since we have one, and it only goes back as far as our email retention policy dictates, we're looking at implementing a managed folder mailbox policy (entire mailbox) that deletes email older than 18 months. Has anyone flipped something like this on before and just let it chew away at mailboxes before? I have no idea what kind of performance hit to expect as it starts deleting all this email.