Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.

Macaluso posted:

Yes they will. They still have to be somewhat close to wood even if the player places it.

new update removes this, they will never decay if player-placed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Notch just tweeted that the "thing he tweeted about earlier" was a secret and he wasnt supposed to talk about it, so he removed the tweets. Anyone catch them before he got rid of them?

Captain Zeroth
Feb 24, 2007
Im a captain?!

Dominion posted:

Notch just tweeted that the "thing he tweeted about earlier" was a secret and he wasnt supposed to talk about it, so he removed the tweets. Anyone catch them before he got rid of them?

He said something about those going to MineCon getting a unique cloak.

e: Yep, https://twitter.com/#!/t_matthews/status/116253324403159040/photo/1/large.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
e: ^^^ That was it

I think it was something he said to C418, but don't quote me on that.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Dominion posted:

It was something about Minecon attendees getting a free cape. I have no idea how he could do that though. vOv

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:
It was saved in the RSS, MineCon attendees will get a unique cloak.

e:f,b. Did you know that you can craft stone bricks? Four stone in a square makes 4 stone bricks.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Cabinet posted:

It was something about Minecon attendees getting a free cape. I have no idea how he could do that though. vOv

I'm guessing that attendees will give their account name and get flagged for the gift somehow.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

is there a way to find ravines or mineshafts with the map renderer? When I see several sinewaves of stone are those the layers of a ravine? When I see brown with white x's are those mines with spider silk?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Oh man, I can't wait to see how those entitled fucks in minecraft modding forum respond to this cloak thing.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Kortel posted:

Bought the game this morning, played for the first time. Never understood the whole "creepers" being scary as gently caress.

But...
Creepers are scary as gently caress.

People greatly exaggerated it for most of Minecraft's lifetime. Creepers were dangerous, but not overly so. They mostly served to annoy the poo poo out of you when leaving your house only to find one hiding just outside, ready to blow up your front wall. loving great, now I have to waste time cooking up more glass to replace the windows. On a super, super rare occasion they might destroy the ground beneath you, causing you to fall into lava or a deep pit. Whatever.

It's only since the last patch that they've become really deadly. Now they can take you out from full health in one hit, and will do so if they sneak up on you. And they are quite capable of sneaking up on you while you're busy mining, which is also when you are likely to have a bunch of valuable poo poo in your inventory.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Vargs posted:

It's only since the last patch that they've become really deadly. Now they can take you out from full health in one hit, and will do so if they sneak up on you.

Bullshit, this has always been true.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Cool, Notch. Now can you please make it so that when somebody dies in SMP, they don't drop a billion XP orbs that completely kill anyone's ability to do anything forever? Thanks.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole

wyoming posted:

Yeah I remember the first time I played back in alpha that they would take me out one hit. It was my first death at night I remember.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Actually, I too have noticed how much more deadly they've become. I can't wait until bukkit updates so I can nerf those fuckers to not perma destroy items.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

ALFbrot posted:

Cool, Notch. Now can you please make it so that when somebody dies in SMP, they don't drop a billion XP orbs that completely kill anyone's ability to do anything forever? Thanks.

Is this still a thing? I thought that the official 1.8 fixed this.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

wyoming posted:

Their damage and explosion radius got increased significantly for 1.8.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Cloaks? What are they? (In the context of Minecraft, obviously I am familiar with cloaks in general)

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

^^^^: A cape that you can wear on your model. Only a few people have them though. Only Mojang employees and the 1,000,000th buyer have them iirc

I'm loving the new terrain generation 1.8 has to offer. I always loved maps that spawned huge mountains and weird shapes and floating islands. I'm spoilt for choice now!

I think that Endermen are still a little bugged. I've come across a few that I can walk right up to them, look at them directly and walk away without repercussion. Glad to hear that the block removing thing is being nerfed too. While it never happened to me really, I can see how it would get very annoying, very fast.

ZShakespeare posted:

Oh man, I can't wait to see how those entitled fucks in minecraft modding forum respond to this cloak thing.

I presume they would say something along the lines of "WAHHH WHY CAN'T I HAVE MY OWN SPECIAL CAPE SO I CAN BE A UNIQUE SNOFLAKE!"

Skull Servant fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Sep 20, 2011

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
I think the player damage done by creepers should be nerfed enough so they are only a risk to your structures unless you already have low health or you're near lava, etc. The sneaking up, loud explosion, and subsequent disorientation are enough to make you vulnerable to the next mob/lava/gravity. Doing massive damage isn't really required to make Creepers a threat. Creepers gonna Creep.

quote:

Cloaks? What are they? (In the context of Minecraft, obviously I am familiar with cloaks in general)

"I went to MineCon and all I got was this lousy in-game cloak"

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Cabinet posted:

^^^^: A cape that you can wear on your model. Only a few people have them though. Only Mojang employees and the 1,000,000th buyer have them iirc

Don't forget the guy who said he wanted to have sex with notch.

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

Don't forget the guy who said he wanted to have sex with notch.

And the guy who did have sex with Notch.

It's been a while since I've heard back about the chain world. If I don't get it by this weekend, I'll send it off to the next person to keep it going.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Cabinet posted:

I presume they would say something along the lines of "WAHHH WHY CAN'T I HAVE MY OWN SPECIAL CAPE SO I CAN BE A UNIQUE SNOFLAKE!"

Make the cape DLC, rake in mad cash.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Is this still a thing? I thought that the official 1.8 fixed this.

Hm, if that's the case then I'll get on the owners of my server to make sure they have the correct version. The server didn't update until the official 1.8 came out, though.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Make the cape DLC, rake in mad cash.

No need to worry if you have an alpha account! :science:

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Zaa Boogie posted:

No need to worry if you have an alpha account! :sci101:

I was thinking that but then I thought "Do I really give a poo poo if I get an aesthetic attachment that I will never actually even see?" and the answer is no! I know 'all updates free forever' and all but I would fully support Notch charging people for capes if it means I get to see awesome MC forums drama.

Chunderstorm
May 9, 2010

legs crossed like a buddhist
smokin' buddha
angry tuna
Once again I've started an adventure map. No mods yet so I don't have any mobs in here, so it's a bunch of levers and stuff for the most part. But this temple is getting large. I've finished all the top stuff so now there's just the underneath to finish. Feel free to explore/critique/add, it's still in creative.

Rules consist of 'Don't break any blocks.'

Download here.

I plan on putting 4 or 5 temples all over the entire island, maybe putting in some items for you to gather and letting you break certain blocks, etc. Any input is appreciated!

Edit: You've reached the end when you open the pistons in the floor. There's nothing past that yet.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I had completely forgotten that adventure maps are a Thing. I'm sorry if this has been asked a bunch already, but what are some good ones? Does 1.8 break them at all?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Fren posted:

Oh boy! Notch learning concurrency! This won't be like the worst goddamn thing ever.

1.9.1: Fixed a race condition that caused all chunks to overwrite eachother while saving

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Danyull posted:

And the guy who did have sex with Notch.

It's been a while since I've heard back about the chain world. If I don't get it by this weekend, I'll send it off to the next person to keep it going.

Sorry. With the 1.8 leak and release I forgot about it for a bit. Will give it by saturday, even if I do not die.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
If you're using Java 7 64-bit, you should know that it has several notable bugs that could cause incorrect calculations and could even corrupt worlds. To work around the bugs, you should use the options "-XX:-UseLoopPredicate" and "-XX:LoopUnrollLimit=1". Put these in a shortcut or batch file like you would memory options. This will cause performance to decrease, but it will most likely still be faster than Java 6.

Chunderstorm
May 9, 2010

legs crossed like a buddhist
smokin' buddha
angry tuna

Dr Snofeld posted:

I had completely forgotten that adventure maps are a Thing. I'm sorry if this has been asked a bunch already, but what are some good ones? Does 1.8 break them at all?

There are a bunch in the second post. I doubt 1.8 breaks them, and the only one I've played so far is Valley de la Seda, which I can give a glowing recommendation.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

dpbjinc posted:

If you're using Java 7 64-bit, you should know that it has several notable bugs that could cause incorrect calculations and could even corrupt worlds. To work around the bugs, you should use the options "-XX:-UseLoopPredicate" and "-XX:LoopUnrollLimit=1". Put these in a shortcut or batch file like you would memory options. This will cause performance to decrease, but it will most likely still be faster than Java 6.

Those bugs are a couple months old. Could they have been fixed since then?

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?
I went exploring in my first mining complex ever. The mine was only accessible by a hole in the ocean (fortunately right near the surface). Over the course of an hour and a half, I explored a grand total of about a third of a kilometer of linear paths (never going below about y=35), filled my inventory, and ran screaming like a little girl from a spider rush when I decided to try to take out just one more spider spawner and my last sword broke on a loving cobweb.

I remember my first time playing back around 1.2. Mining had me on edge, granted, but I was more curious about what was around the corner than scared. My roommate came in half way through this most recent trip to ask why I had screamed. I had to explain that a spider had dropped on my head while I was mining in what I had previously assumed was a safe area.

I haven't enjoyed exploration this much since I started playing the game. Time to go hunt down more clay and start building my own town. Am I the only one that takes an odd amount of pleasure in finding, harvesting, and baking clay?

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"

ItalicSquirrels posted:

Am I the only one that takes an odd amount of pleasure in finding, harvesting, and baking clay?

I will run clear across the draw distance for even a few pieces, while running right past diamond ore blocks assuming I will 'get them once I finish lighting this cave.'

I cannot explain why.

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop
I hate myself for this, but I almost always turn on Peaceful when I go mining. And then I lose interest and stop playing. If I keep the monsters on, I get more and more wound up until I'm screaming obscenities every time the cat startles me, or something moves in the corner of my eye.

If I leave the monsters on, I can only cave for about five to ten minutes at a time before I'm too tense and have to turn the game off. And I play on Easy. I may have a problem. x_x

Also, I give you Rabbit Mountain:

I plan on going out and fixing the ears a bit if it ever stops raining loving christ.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Pucklynn posted:

Also, I give you Rabbit Mountain:

Uh, that's clearly a duck. It should be called Duck Mountain.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

It's a rabbit with a dinosaur head and gremlin ears.

Mast
Dec 1, 2007

Estel posted:

Today i found the world a couple of friends and me played long ago on our server. It's a world pre 1.3 with the old world generation and saves and wanted to see what we built because i could only remember an airport and a big temple i built with a creeper statue.

I found a conversor so i could change the world format from the old one with thousands of files to the new one. After the conversion i still couldn't access the world and i found an old version of cartograph and... yeah, there is something wrong with this world:

I will try opening the world with mcedit to see what is all that mess near the temple and at least try to recover the temple as a schematic.

Your world is being assimilated.

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop

Vib Rib posted:

Uh, that's clearly a duck. It should be called Duck Mountain.

I see no duck!

Although now I can't unsee the T-Rex face. Goddamnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
So I'm getting back into Minecraft now that 1.8 is out and after five minutes on my friends server I find this:

It's an over hang at the back of a box-canyon which is part of a mountain range and it has several waterfalls and caves.

Jesus Tap-Dancing Christ I love this game.