Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Pucklynn posted:

I see no duck!

Although now I can't unsee the T-Rex face. Goddamnit.

gently caress you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

Vib Rib posted:

Uh, that's clearly a duck. It should be called Duck Mountain.
What are you talking about? You don't see the skull?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

waffle posted:

What are you talking about? You don't see the skull?
It looks like a Duck.
It should be called Duck Island.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
So now that we have persistant livestock, can we get movement code that doesn't cause them to wander across the ocean when I spend a night mining?

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
I was typing in random phrases trying to get a decent world and finally found one I like that has lots of windy rivers and lakes with some flat terrain. At the start there were a shitload of chickens so I killed them early on for snacks, but there wasn't much else around. Once I built a house I went searching around for them and I found heaps of pigs and chickens stuck in a number of deep water holes. Retards.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Vib Rib posted:

It looks like a Duck.
It should be called Duck Island.

Well, you see, you gotta kinda squint and turn your head and OOOO it's just SOOO SCARYYY.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

DarkStryke posted:

Alright you redstone circuit pro's, I need some help and I've gone in circles with googlefu.

Here's what I posted on a small community server forum:

I tried putting repeaters on both paths, a whole bunch of elaborate spaghetti redstone and repeater layouts from web examples but I just can't get this to work.

** There we go.

You didn't really specify many properties, so hopefully this works for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbpxYkcIUto

Intl Cron
Dec 5, 2005

I'm just an olde-fashioned cowboy...
So apparently Notch fixed the OpenGL crash for OSX 10.5 users, but for some reason has the fix in the upcoming 1.9 patch instead of just updating to 1.8.2.

I don't really understand why he's placing a fix he wrote in two hours in a patch that isn't due for a couple of months, but oh well that's Notch I guess.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Unoriginal Name posted:

So now that we have persistant livestock, can we get movement code that doesn't cause them to wander across the ocean when I spend a night mining?

It's called fences.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Vargs posted:

It's a rabbit with a dinosaur head and gremlin ears.

Was just going to post "Hey, that looks like a dinosaur ... if the ears were removed."

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

trandorian posted:

It's called fences.

I'm not going to fence off the perimeter of my entire mainland. The random pathing has taken about half the stock of my island off into the deep blue sea where I hit them with boats. It's really annoying.

Frock Lobster
Jun 11, 2010
So C418 posted one of the new sound effects he's been working on: http://c418.org/minecart.mp3

Apparently he's reworked about 90% of the sounds in the game, but they haven't been put in for some reason.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh
God damnit I didn't realize 1.8.1 had different terrain gen than 1.8.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Yeah I love how much good sound adds to a game.

And I hate how neglected sound is in most games.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Travic posted:

So I'm getting back into Minecraft now that 1.8 is out and after five minutes on my friends server I find this:

It's an over hang at the back of a box-canyon which is part of a mountain range and it has several waterfalls and caves.

Jesus Tap-Dancing Christ I love this game.

Holy gently caress, that is amazing. Any chance I could get the seed/location of that?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Unoriginal Name posted:

I'm not going to fence off the perimeter of my entire mainland. The random pathing has taken about half the stock of my island off into the deep blue sea where I hit them with boats. It's really annoying.

It's time to herd 'em pardner. :clint:

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011

Raskolnikov posted:

Yeah I love how much good sound adds to a game.

And I hate how neglected sound is in most games.

It's amazing, C418 has remade like nearly every sound in the game and notch just sits on his rear end not adding literally any of them and using his dumb placeholder sounds. It's mindboggling, and really upsetting. I just want him to add the drat sounds how hard can it be??

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Lavender Philtrum posted:

It's amazing, C418 has remade like nearly every sound in the game and notch just sits on his rear end not adding literally any of them and using his dumb placeholder sounds. It's mindboggling, and really upsetting. I just want him to add the drat sounds how hard can it be??

It's almost like the game is in constant development and is as yet unfinished in many major aspects.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.
Does anyone here use any of the goon server hosts to run a server? I'm looking to rent a server for a group of friends, and I was leaning toward SMP's, since it looks like the best one. But I'm interested in hearing experiences with any of them!

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"

Beard Yawn posted:

Does anyone here use any of the goon server hosts to run a server? I'm looking to rent a server for a group of friends, and I was leaning toward SMP's, since it looks like the best one. But I'm interested in hearing experiences with any of them!

I use Akliz (SMP's service) and cannot sing enough praises for it without inserting part of him into part of me. Any specific things you're looking to know about?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Kortel posted:

Noting a lot of you have some sort of ingame map system. I cannot seem to find a link to it. Would someone post a link?

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/482147-181-sep20-reis-minimap-v19-02/

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.

HAL9100 posted:

I use Akliz (SMP's service) and cannot sing enough praises for it without inserting part of him into part of me. Any specific things you're looking to know about?

Just general impressions, support quality, stuff like that. I haven't run a Minecraft server before, but I imagine it's not too different than most games. One specific question, if I rent a Bukkit-enabled server, can I switch back and forth to vanilla when we get an update and Bukkit isn't ready?

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

Beard Yawn posted:

Just general impressions, support quality, stuff like that. I haven't run a Minecraft server before, but I imagine it's not too different than most games. One specific question, if I rent a Bukkit-enabled server, can I switch back and forth to vanilla when we get an update and Bukkit isn't ready?

General Impressions: Stable (completely, has not gone down on us once), quick, and their support is more than fast and helpful enough. The control panel you're provided with removes 99% of any help you'd require though, it's quite intuitive.

And yes, switching between builds and changing a lot of the server settings are easier than they have any right to be.

SMP
May 5, 2009

Beard Yawn posted:

Yep! We even provide a bunch of older server jars if you want to stay on a previous version of Bukkit.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I realized that now that animals don't despawn, you can keep them as pets. However since chickens lay eggs, which when thrown have a chance of hatching into more chickens, you can already make your own primitive chicken farm.

I'm hoping to get the population up to a point where I can gather a decent amount of eggs regularly from them. Then I'll hatch those chickens somewhere else and slaughter them for feathers. Probably not going to be to efficient, but at least it gives me easy access to renewable feathers.

Also because I'm terrible at planning I ended up digging this chicken pen right under my nether chamber. So it comes with a nice view of the local hell mouth.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Also because I'm terrible at planning I ended up digging this chicken pen right under my nether chamber. So it comes with a nice view of the local hell mouth.

I'm telling PETA. :colbert:

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Are there still outstanding chest bugs? I think I've brought down my friends SMP server twice now (I was the only one online) while manipulating items in chests. It says "Minecraft 1.8.1" on the top of my client while playing, does that just mean my client or his server version?

e: I mean its obviously at least 1.8 on his server as there are all the new features, but is there an easy way to verify it's exact version just as a user?

Pakistani Brad Pitt fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Sep 21, 2011

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!

Odette posted:

I'm telling PETA. :colbert:

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

I thought there was some problem with them randomly/inexplicably dying when you tried to raise them in close quarters?

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

Jin Wicked posted:

Your episode of Hoarders was quite awful :( Have you gotten that chin-scrotum checked out?

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!

HAL9100 posted:

I thought there was some problem with them randomly/inexplicably dying when you tried to raise them in close quarters?

I have not had that problem. They do escape fences occasionally, by jumping off of each other I suspect.

Minecraft Wiki posted:

In 1.8, Chickens need a large area to walk around in or they will start dying on their own. This happens because the chickens push each other into the walls, suffocating for a split-second. To solve the problem, make sure they are surrounded by fences and not solid blocks.

I killed about one hundred afterward and the room still looked full. So there are at least one hundred and fifty there.

Notgothic posted:

Your episode of Hoarders was quite awful :( Have you gotten that chin-scrotum checked out?

Quickly, someone mod Tupperware containers for me to stuff all of those chickens into! :suicide:

Jin Wicked fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Sep 21, 2011

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Senator Woofington posted:

God damnit I didn't realize 1.8.1 had different terrain gen than 1.8.
Thankfully it seems restricted to terrain features. The landscape seems the same, but islands that before had a single tree now have none, that grew reeds don't grow reeds, etc. The ground seems the same but the stuff placed on it changed between 1.8 and 1.8.1.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Lavender Philtrum posted:

I think at this point, ambient sound that is biome specific would add a great deal more to the game than a few sound effects. It would help with immersion and differentiate biomes a lot more.

Echoing sound in caves wouldn't hurt either.

FIRE CURES BIGOTS
Aug 26, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

VomitOnLino posted:

I have seen quite similar in single and multiplayer maps, too. Mostly on the ground though.

They look like normal lakes, that were only half-way generated. There is a sharp edge at which the still water cuts off and transforms into a current, usually filling the rest of the lake.

Gravel generated, then water on top, then the gravel updated and fell.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Fire posted:

Gravel generated, then water on top, then the gravel updated and fell.

That's a sensible explanation yeah. Didn't think of that.
But... one lake that I saw had no gravel whatsoever in its vicinity.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

VomitOnLino posted:

That's a sensible explanation yeah. Didn't think of that.
But... one lake that I saw had no gravel whatsoever in its vicinity.

How about sand?

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Science fiction writers, I am sorry to say, really do not know anything. We can't talk about science, because our knowledge of it is limited and unofficial, and usually our fiction is dreadful.

Grimey Drawer

Frock Lobster posted:

So C418 posted one of the new sound effects he's been working on: http://c418.org/minecart.mp3

Apparently he's reworked about 90% of the sounds in the game, but they haven't been put in for some reason.
I always bring up that C418 has had many new songs ready for the game for months and months, and we STILL only have two records in-game at the moment. It's like Notch has totally forgotten about him or something.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

I know this has been brought up but I can't seem to find it.

Where is the property I need to change to make villages spawn in the new chunks in a 1.7 world?

Logtar
Sep 15, 2008

by T. Fine
Pretty sure adding a bird mob (with sounds of course) would be the best thing. Also rare giant birds you can mount so I can pretend I'm Gandalf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Beard Yawn posted:

WilsonSMP uses Minehost for our hosting and have gotten nothing but great service from them. Even with the problems 1.8 SMP seems to be having we are fine averaging 25 players while slow and maxing out 60 easily, we are about to upgrade to an eighty slot server and yet even maxed out the only real lag we experience is from the memory leak issues found in the latest patch.

In short they are incredibly stable, hardware is always top of the line, Huns their developer has hand written their incredible control panel and most of the rest of their server infrastructure and as you can see on their SAmart page, they set you up with your server insanely fast.

AAA service, would buy again.