Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

DELETED posted:

Protip: Brake cleaner destroys nitrile gloves. The typical blue gloves shrivel up and look like they have goosebumps before falling apart.

chlorinated brake cleaner? I've never had a problem with my purple nitrile gloves, even fishing around in containers of mek and acetone. non-chlorinated brake cleaner can't even touch them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

Throatwarbler posted:

I am unfamiliar with this. What happened? I am completely blown away by it though.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
Looks like the airborne car hit the car behind the one the video was being taken from and ramped off its rear wheel.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

chlorinated brake cleaner? I've never had a problem with my purple nitrile gloves, even fishing around in containers of mek and acetone. non-chlorinated brake cleaner can't even touch them.

Whatever the typical spray brake cleaner is, it'll make the typical blue nitrile gloves go all pruny, then they just fall apart under the slightest pressure. Kleen-All solvent does the same thing.

I need to get some gloves made out of rubber or something that won't absorb or dissolve in the stuff.

Ossetepo
Mar 12, 2011

Godholio posted:

Whatever the typical spray brake cleaner is, it'll make the typical blue nitrile gloves go all pruny, then they just fall apart under the slightest pressure. Kleen-All solvent does the same thing.

I need to get some gloves made out of rubber or something that won't absorb or dissolve in the stuff.

Silvershields work quite nicely.

Until you get one with a giant crease in it, and the point at the end of the crease slices you open from the middle of your palm to halfway down your forearm.

Airbone Operation
Dec 22, 2007
Tosser

Geoj posted:

^
Looks like the airborne car hit the car behind the one the video was being taken from and ramped off its rear wheel.

I thought it was the baltimore crash that i saw earlier this month but it wasn't. Same deal though http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RhiMAq78CI

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Godholio posted:

Yeah, maybe the purple ones are different or higher quality but the blue ones can't handle good old non-chlorinated Brakleen and similar brake cleaners. I did get some Gunk brake cleaner once. That stuff sucks, it doesn't smell like brake cleaner should and seems to only mildly inconvenience wasps.

I will say that ATF is a drat good cleaner for metal parts though.

mungtor
May 3, 2005

Yeah, I hate me too.
Nap Ghost

DELETED posted:

Yeah, maybe the purple ones are different or higher quality but the blue ones can't handle good old non-chlorinated Brakleen and similar brake cleaners. I did get some Gunk brake cleaner once. That stuff sucks, it doesn't smell like brake cleaner should and seems to only mildly inconvenience wasps.

I worked in a machine shop many years ago where there was a covered drum of 50% ATF and 50% acetone (I think). The head machinist used to call it "The Dip" right after "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" came out, and it had the same effect on various crap as the movie dip did on 'toons. Wasn't great for skin either.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

Throatwarbler posted:

thvwlshvscpd posted:

I am unfamiliar with this. What happened? I am completely blown away by it though.

Ever seen that lovely movie Freejack with Emilio Estevez and Mick Jagger? That's what.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Got a truck in a few days ago, it leaked gas, and had been sitting for SIX years.

A 1984 Ford Pickup with a 351W in it. We rebuild the carb, flush the liquids, replace the cap/rotor/wires/plugs and fire her up.

Hrm.. it's making a rattling noise, but all in all it seems to be ok.

The rattling noise seems to be coming from a lifter, must just be stuck from sitting so long.

Hrm.. noise isn't going away, even though we added a ton of additives and beat the poo poo out of the motor, compression is even at 170ish PSI on all 8 cylinders. Let's check the lifters and push rods...

:stare: I.. I don't think the pushrod is supposed to look like that. Ford V8s run off of magic.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

ratbert90 posted:

:stare: I.. I don't think the pushrod is supposed to look like that. Ford V8s run off of magic.

Magic and stubbornness.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

DELETED posted:

engine flush = ATF and acetone. poo poo is BEAUTIFUL

mungtor posted:

I worked in a machine shop many years ago where there was a covered drum of 50% ATF and 50% acetone (I think). The head machinist used to call it "The Dip" right after "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" came out, and it had the same effect on various crap as the movie dip did on 'toons. Wasn't great for skin either.
Turpentine, Acetone, Benzine.

...ToonTown will be erased in a matter of minutes.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Sep 21, 2011

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

engine flush = ATF and acetone. poo poo is BEAUTIFUL
When I worked at an oil change shop, when we did our own cars we would "ghetto flush" our engines with one quart of 10w30 then fill to capacity with ATF, idle for 5 minutes. Worked every bit as well as the "ultimate engine cleaning" service we charged $60 for.

niggerstink420
Aug 7, 2009

by T. Fine

GWBBQ posted:

When I worked at an oil change shop, when we did our own cars we would "ghetto flush" our engines with one quart of 10w30 then fill to capacity with ATF, idle for 5 minutes. Worked every bit as well as the "ultimate engine cleaning" service we charged $60 for.

That can't be good for an engine.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Epic Fail Guy posted:

I know for a fact that this is how two of our local mechanics perform their "engine cleaning service," the only difference being that they have a machine attached to the oil drain pan that vacuums/drains the oil out after it's done running. They talk about the machine like it flushes/circulates the oil, which is BS - it's not even running during the "service."

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
I didn't know Mazda made trailers!

I see this almost daily in the summer.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
Wheel bearings, who needs em?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Even with a Bearing Buddy, you should be repacking every once in a while!

fishmech_1.1_RC
Jul 22, 2003

thvwlshvscpd posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaC3OKZ-FkI

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Epic Fail Guy posted:

I've heard of using one quart of ATF to clean an engine, but never all but one quart of ATF.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

I give that a 7.5/10 for the rodeo flip, a bit sloppy on the landing.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Epic Fail Guy posted:

ATF is about 20 weight and loaded with detergents. I wouldn't put any load on the engine and I wouldn't put it in a turbo engine, but it's safe.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Skyssx posted:

I didn't know Mazda made trailers!

I see this almost daily in the summer.
The bearing and PT shop I used to work at made me absolutely paranoid to ever rent a U-Haul.

Getting after hours emergency calls on a Sunday from some poor bastard usually moving to Alaska because their wheel bearings suffered catastrophic failure has made me more than a little jaded of their maintenance periods, or lack of.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
I realize it's on a trailer but still, wouldn't you be able to hear that a while before it shredded itself?

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

heat posted:

I realize it's on a trailer but still, wouldn't you be able to hear that a while before it shredded itself?

Apparently not. There's one on the lot right now where the entire hub fell off at speed. It showed up last week full of roofing materials (dump trailer) and the end of the axle missing the hub was tied up with many multiple ratchet straps. We made him go dump the load before we'd do any work to it. Pretty sure the axle is fuckered on that one, too.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I had another random breakdown outside my house today. Couple of guys in a Vauxhall Astra. Now, I've seen a few overheating cars, and been the person responsible for a number of them, but this thing was hot. Even after sitting for fifteen minutes with the bonnet up, it was instantly boiling any water put in it (while making some very interesting noises), and according to my IR thermometer the oil filter was still over 140 degrees C. Mmm, toasty.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled
My friend had an explorer with a bad thermostat. He was about to move cross country and was getting a new car so he just kept driving it. It sounded like a diesel and smelled like a welding shop driving down the road but it kept going for a few days.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Has this been posted?

http://youtu.be/IY1hXAoOnLg

Looks like its still drivable.

NickBlasta
May 16, 2003

Clearly their proficiency at shooting is supernatural, not practical, in origin.

Shaocaholica posted:

Has this been posted?

It doesn't even seem like it would be possible for that thing to keep moving.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I can't remember who, but someone in the WRC had to drive an entire stage like that when they trashed a joint. At the next stop, the wheel was worn away to a D shape.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

NickBlasta posted:

It doesn't even seem like it would be possible for that thing to keep moving.

Good luck turning right with that thing.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Shaocaholica posted:

Has this been posted?

This is what :stare: was made for...

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Geoj posted:

This is what :stare: was made for...

I know that's been posted before, and I swear someone mentioned it was the "run" part of a hit & run, but I can't find a source for it.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
From a friends FaceBook page:

edit: From a Grand Cherokee. Mine will probably do this sooner or later.

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode
Why's everyone so cavalier about brake cleaner usage? That stuff will decompose into gases illegal for use in warfare:
http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm

I'm pretty sure that article's been posted earlier in this thread, too.

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine
Because we're all using non-chlorinated brake cleaner...

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
yeah, that's why I use non-chlorinated brake cleaner... acetone (CH3)2CO and heptane CH3(CH2)5CH3 don't contain any chlorine.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Skyssx posted:

Because we're all using non-chlorinated brake cleaner...

I went to Hawaii and got my first can of chlorinated stuff. What a disappointment. It didn't even smell good, it smelled like bad chemicals, which is it.

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

NightGyr posted:

Why's everyone so cavalier about brake cleaner usage? That stuff will decompose into gases illegal for use in warfare:
http://www.brewracingframes.com/id75.htm

I'm pretty sure that article's been posted earlier in this thread, too.

Did you read the part of the article where he was welding with it? It won't decompose into phosgene without argon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skyssx
Feb 2, 2001

by T. Fine

heat posted:

Did you read the part of the article where he was welding with it? It won't decompose into phosgene without argon.

Ultra-violet light. Argon is inert.