Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

HAL9100 posted:

How about sand?

Yeah it was sand. I didn't look closely enough. I really should have come up with the solution for this "mystery" by myself. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
That water still looks weird though. I've seen underwater air pockets in the ocean as well myself.

Minecraft related: FortressCraft passes 500k sales and the dev still hasn't been paid.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vib Rib posted:

Uh, that's clearly a duck. It should be called Duck Mountain.

I love you Vib :golfclap:. Waffle too. And anyone else who got the joke.

Spoonimus
Nov 5, 2007
I swear, this game creates its own narrative. I haven't played for more than a few minutes since the halloween update, so a lot of this stuff is really new to me. I think downloading that minimap mod (which my roommate later told me was useless since you can make a map ingame) really helped me stick around an area longer. I spawned next to a huge river separating a vast and dense forest and a desert. I built a small hovel, slowly upgraded it and explored the surrounding areas. Endermen will run around the desert at night. The forest retains a lot of zombies and skeletons because of the shade it provides, so this little spot I have on a hill is sort of the only safe place for miles. The only time the mobs seemed to actively seek me out was when I was trying to build a portal, so it became this really intense struggle to grab all these materials and deal with setbacks and mobs and all that junk, and I imagined my guy becoming increasingly more obsessed with finishing the portal and eventually racing to finish it, find something to eat, and not die (I did not know that not eating would kill you :downs:)

gently caress yes, this game is awesome.

edit: oh yeah, I got to typing that and forgot why I even posted. I can't find sheep ANYWHERE and all the mineshafts I find seem to intersect in really weird ways with natural caverns... as in, the support beams will just be floating in midair and stuff like that. I think some poo poo might be broken, but I thought I'd ask if this was common now or something.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

ThndrShk2k posted:

That water still looks weird though. I've seen underwater air pockets in the ocean as well myself.

Minecraft related: FortressCraft passes 500k sales and the dev still hasn't been paid.

Jesus christ, that guy is developing another game as well, which is complete poo poo-looking.

"Physics based 2D Space Shooter". loving Asteroids that plays itself.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Spoonimus posted:

edit: oh yeah, I got to typing that and forgot why I even posted. I can't find sheep ANYWHERE and all the mineshafts I find seem to intersect in really weird ways with natural caverns... as in, the support beams will just be floating in midair and stuff like that. I think some poo poo might be broken, but I thought I'd ask if this was common now or something.

Animal mobs are persistent now it seems, so there will be a ton of sheep somewhere and if you don't kill them, they'll still be in roughly the same area when you return. Also, yeah, mineshafts/caverns don't mix very well, most of the 'mineshafts' I've found have been floating in midair.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

notch posted:

Got frustrated with AWS, so I made a new mob! :D

notch posted:

It will be craftable, is friendly, and throws snowballs at enemies. Also melts in hot biomes.

notch posted:

Also, they spread snow by walking around. Nice.

RISE my army of snowmen!!

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Awesome. Yet another thing we don't need while many more important issues/features are ignored. Thanks Notch!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Hopefully this means there will be a handful of new content for snow biomes; I really miss the snow.

edit: I wonder, will the recipe be the obvious 3 snow blocks + 2 sticks or will there be a rare ingredient required?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Sep 21, 2011

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.

Mr Scumbag posted:

Awesome. Yet another thing we don't need while many more important issues/features are ignored. Thanks Notch!

I don't know who you're talking about when you say we don't need snowmen but it sure ain't me. :colbert:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Mr Scumbag posted:

Entitlement-complex much?

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Mr Scumbag posted:

It's almost as if they want the game to be feature-complete before release! :monocle:

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

"Also, they spread snow by walking around. Nice."

So what happens when you push one off a cliff into the sea? Ice?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Man, I would absolutely love/kill to be in charge of sound design for this game. You'd be getting all of the ambient noises you could handle. That said, I can't wait to hear the new stuff.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Oh god, Endermen and snowmen are going to be the bane of my existence. Our moat will be frozen and Endermen can then pick apart our wall piece by piece.

I suddenly also wish this game had goblin invasion at times so the moat would be very useful.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Notch's "let's add a whole bunch of random poo poo and then fix the bugs with it and the rest of the game later it'll work out fine!" complex is really getting annoying to have to put up with.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

That snowman is adorable! I hope it only melts in really hot biomes like deserts and we'll be able to have them in temperate ones, because I really want to populate all my villages with snowmen npcs. Even if they don't do anything, just having people mobs would make my villages feel more alive.

Alternately, he should add equivalently useless animated scarecrows (with pumpkin heads).

FRAZZLED JOHNSON posted:

edit: I wonder, will the recipe be the obvious 3 snow blocks + 2 sticks or will there be a rare ingredient required?
Coal is traditional as well.

But yeah, you'd think it'd take something special to animate it. Ender Pearls don't do anything yet... it might be kind if neat if they ended up being a kind of vital essence thing in crafting recipes.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
How dare he add something cute and fun during a brief break from bugfixing.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm just wondering if something might be done to make mining more interesting. I'm thinking, since there's only so many blocks one can make and the development focus is on surface elements, that finding underground "surface" areas would be cool. Just being able to find big dome caves with trees, grass, etc. would be interesting, and make mining a lot more rewarding without having to add another kind of underground block or something. The big problem would be lighting: grass blocks die without light. I'm not really sure how to solve that.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

Notch's "let's add a whole bunch of random poo poo and then fix the bugs with it and the rest of the game later it'll work out fine!" complex is really getting annoying to have to put up with.

People also don't want to read about a bunch of semi-colons on twitter, but honestly, it's his decision on what to do with his own game.

If you don't want to put up with it, frankly don't. Just forget Minecraft even exists and play some more Dwarf Fortress. Run around and choke everyone to death in adventure mode, it's rather fun.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm just wondering if something might be done to make mining more interesting. I'm thinking, since there's only so many blocks one can make and the development focus is on surface elements, that finding underground "surface" areas would be cool. Just being able to find big dome caves with trees, grass, etc. would be interesting, and make mining a lot more rewarding without having to add another kind of underground block or something. The big problem would be lighting: grass blocks die without light. I'm not really sure how to solve that.
Subterranean biomes and terrain features would be awesome. I think abandoned mineshafts are the first step in that direction (and ravines too, since they can spawn entirely underground).

Though mineshafts can get a little on the large side.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

Entitlement-complex much?

Oh, spare me the entitlement bullshit. God forbid someone on the Internet has an opinion! Not everyone who criticizes Notch for his design decisions has an entitlement complex. That kind of statement contains just as much hyperbole as you're accusing others of.

When a decent amount of your player base is experiencing game breaking crashes, you have an incomplete sound design and a litany of glitches and other problems, people are going to be unhappy when you're creating snowmen, music blocks and countless food items that are more or less pointless. It doesn't mean such people have an "entitlement complex" (rite goons? lol) as you seem to gleefully enjoy pointing out.

Say what you like, but just because "it's beta" doesn't mean everyone should shut up and keep their opinions to themselves. I've said countless times before that I've more than gotten my money's worth, but if you think that there is no grounds at all for criticizing some of the decisions Notch and the others have made regarding the order they have added features and what seems like the lack of any concrete plans and direction for the game then I can accuse you of being a mindless fanboy just as much as you can claim I have an "entitlement complex".

Minecraft is a great game maybe moreso based on its potential than its current state, but right now it's full of glitches, half finished systems and features. It's hardly a crime to be frustrated when we hear about yet another "feature" (of questionable usefulness and/or relevance) being added while other things that have been on the waiting list for months are being ignored. Release is (I believe) around two months away, and instead of sound design being fleshed out and completed, we're getting friendly snowmen who for all we know will be just as useful as wolves. Just seems to me like their priorities aren't where they should be considering they have a shitton of work to do between now and November.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
You're entitled to an opinion, but you are freaking out over a snow-man model.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
That Snowman is the best thing :3:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Yeah, okay, notch got bored with bugfixing so he made a new mob in a couple of hours. I'm not seeing the problem here. It's not like this snowman is now the main focus of 1.9 and will take 2 weeks to make. It's probably already done.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Mordaedil posted:

No?

Notch really is an awful coder. This isn't opinion anymore, seeing the uncluster-hosed sourcecode only leaves you scratching your head more at the lesser cluster-hosed source code.

Notch has ADHD if anyone has ever had it.

These aren't bad things, they are just bad things for the people wanting current issues corrected rather than new feature that will most likely be broken or break other features that work well.

It's been like this since....2009.

The frustration has nothing to do with a snowman, it could have been anything.

(except fence gates, those would be OK to add)

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Amppelix posted:

Yeah, okay, notch got bored with bugfixing so he made a new mob in a couple of hours. I'm not seeing the problem here. It's not like this snowman is now the main focus of 1.9 and will take 2 weeks to make. It's probably already done.

Besides, notch has people working for him now, right? So he probably doesn't even actively have to look for bugs and has some people whose job-description isn't net-code fixing and thus had some time on the side to work on this.

Unless you think it's really a good idea to let your artists mess with code. That tends to be interesting.

mrwuss posted:

Notch has ADHD if anyone has ever had it.

These aren't bad things, they are just bad things for the people wanting current issues corrected rather than new feature that will most likely be broken or break other features that work well.

It's been like this since....2009.

The frustration has nothing to do with a snowman, it could have been anything.

Actually, he's just Swedish. Swedes tend to be that way (spoken as a Norwegian)

But honestly, I think it's mostly him trying to placate fans by playing to their level. Just look at the trial between Bethesda and Mojang over the use of the title Scrolls. His suggestion that they settle it out of the courts with a Quake 3 match was a half-serious suggestion to make him and his company seem more human and more approachable than a big corporation whose main pursuit is money.

The snow-man? It's cute and adorable. It's on his twitter to appease fans who can play the game. This is the following he desires.

Mordaedil fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Sep 21, 2011

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Mr Scumbag posted:

It's more a case I think that this was a little aside to ease the frustration of working on the hard problems. I don't know if you've ever worked on a large, complex project, but sometimes taking a short break from a difficult problem and doing something easy and fun related can reinvigorate both your thinking processes and your overall enthusiasm for the whole thing.

If this had been some huge change which took weeks to implement you might have a point, but as it stands it probably only took a couple of hours to put together.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Mordaedil posted:

Besides, notch has people working for him now, right? So he probably doesn't even actively have to look for bugs and has some people whose job-description isn't net-code fixing and thus had some time on the side to work on this.

Unless you think it's really a good idea to let your artists mess with code. That tends to be minecraft.

Well, it's true.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Mordaedil posted:

This is disingenuous and dismissive. I'm expressing my concern about the unfocused and schizophrenic nature of the development of Minecraft. The snowman is just another thing that represents that. If it were an isolated incident then I wouldn't care but as it stands it seems like they have no idea where they're going.

It's only because I enjoy the game that I feel so annoyed by this stuff. I just want to see it fleshed out with stuff integral to the game and not just incidental. It's not like I enjoy making GBS threads on Notch and team for the sake of it.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

To quote a post from the "Coding Horrors" thread:

quote:

I'm a little more familiar with minecraft's internals than the average player, but less so than modders and server administrators. I'm fortunate enough to rub shoulders with these folks and do the odd bit of mc development work myself, and I'd like to point out that Mojang's testing cannot be considered thorough by industry standards.

For those following minecraft, you'll note than 1.8 was released today. On friday, the first public pre-release came out, and yesterday the second was released. For the first time I started actually documenting the protocol with the help of others in #mcdevs on freenode. Here's some fun things we found, all new bugs:

* Chest state (open or closed) is sent twenty times per second per chest, even if the state hasn't changed. This equates to at least 10kB/s network traffic on a medium-sized server plus the processing the client does
* Same deal with the user list. Each user list packet contains the ping time for one user, and these are sent out twenty times per second per user.
* Experience orbs were broken in 1.8pre1 due to notch's horrible, backwards use of OpenGL. It was already known that dropped items cause serious framerate drops, and the inclusion of orbs made this worse. Multiplayer was unplayable. "So what?", you say, "this is a pre-release". This bug was supposedly fixed by jeb, but instead has resulted in experience orb duping
* The new user list renders improperly with Max Players set above 60, and completely fails to render when Max Players is set above 127.
* The new food system has bugs too - if food saturation is above zero, you can happily not eat without your food decreasing. Only if you take damage will your food start to decrease.
* New player effects can easily be manipulated to give users a speedhack. The server-side stuff that used to detect this cheating has been completely removed.
* The new server list incorrectly assumes a server is up if it has been refreshed within 5s

The best bit is that mojang has no bug tracker. Currently the best thing we have is a wiki talk page that contains some 300kB of plain text for 1.8 ALONE!

And I'm glossing over some of the more egregious bugs that went unfixed for many months. One of my personal favourites was the invisible player glitch - where some players were randomly invisible to others. I play on a player-versus-player server where this sort of thing was pure nightmare material. Imagine playing Halo 3 against an invisible sniper.

I'd like to qualify this whole post by pointing out I'm a huge fan of minecraft and mojang. They do some really great work and have created one of my favourite games ever. I can barely comprehend the amount of time I've spent on it and the good friends I've made. But their development process, QA, and relationship with the modding community continues to suck.

EDIT: I encourage anyone from a technical standpoint to have a look at the protocol docs and gaze in wonder. Also worth bearing in mind that the client's network handling is completely tied up with the physics engine and rendering. They all rely on one another - if one lags, so do the others. The server's model is even more lulsy, involving 4 threads being spawned for every user connected. The server I play on regularly accomodates 50 or more players, and I hear off our techadmins that a significant amount of server cpu time is spent context switching.

By no means is Notch a good coder, and we've known this from the very start, but at least he has some people on the team who hopefully can clean things up. He is creative, and sets a nice base ground for the rest of the team to build up from, or fix.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Arrath posted:

Holy gently caress, that is amazing. Any chance I could get the seed/location of that?

x:278
y:70
z:387

Those coordinates will put you inside that mountain so allow a little wiggle room.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

Are Seeds save in map files yet?

Can I seed a map in single player and keep that seed once I upload it to the server? (For all new chunks spawned)

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Mr Scumbag posted:

This is disingenuous and dismissive. I'm expressing my concern about the unfocused and schizophrenic nature of the development of Minecraft. The snowman is just another thing that represents that. If it were an isolated incident then I wouldn't care but as it stands it seems like they have no idea where they're going.

It's only because I enjoy the game that I feel so annoyed by this stuff. I just want to see it fleshed out with stuff integral to the game and not just incidental. It's not like I enjoy making GBS threads on Notch and team for the sake of it.

Well, I'm sorry, but I don't tend to follow Minecraft's development that closely, so that kind of reaction seemed hyperbole and very emotionally provoked.

When it comes to indie projects I tend to approach them with wariness equal to that of a Flash-video from Newgrounds. There's a small chance it'll be really cool, but most of the time it's a loving Sonic fanfic mixed with Dragonball Z references. If I'm lucky.

Of course, finding the gem in the mud and it getting a ton of attention because it has potential and then it suddenly starts failing because it has a talent focused too heavily on sporadic side is very sad.

But you shouldn't set yourself up for disappointment either, imo.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
First, I think the snowman looks like poo poo.

Second, it's perfectly valid to express displeasure at Notch basically wasting time when attempting to fix his incredibly broken game. So what if he gets bored fixing the save system? Maybe that would free up time for working on NPCs, or updating the sounds like we were just discussing, or fixing the items.png limit, or working on animal husbandry/making the fuckers respawn ever again, or making less lovely-looking buildings for the npcs, or pretty much any one of a million billion things that don't involve an mspaint snowman that looks like its texture was drawn by a blind 5th grader.

In fact, I'm only here to post this because my game crashed. Again. I'm talking multiple times a session, sometimes unable to save (the worst kind because it guaranteed ruins the whole experience for the end user), and an issue that affects what seems to be the majority of the player base. Whether or not I'm qualified to boss Notch around, his game has more unfinished features than it does finished features, and adding more random bullshit to the equation isn't really worth :Ding about.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Tw1tchy posted:

To quote a post from the "Coding Horrors" thread:

By no means is Notch a good coder, and we've known this from the very start, but at least he has some people on the team who hopefully can clean things up. He is creative, and sets a nice base ground for the rest of the team to build up from, or fix.

Boy, I wish people would spend half as much energy building their own, better minecraft. I mean this honestly, not "well why don't you do it if you complain so much" I would just love to see a game in the minecraft formula that wasn't just an equally-shoddily made cash-in.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Al! posted:

Boy, I wish people would spend half as much energy building their own, better minecraft. I mean this honestly, not "well why don't you do it if you complain so much" I would just love to see a game in the minecraft formula that wasn't just an equally-shoddily made cash-in.

Why don't you do it, smarty-pants?

Frogmarched
Jul 11, 2011
Does anyone agree now that biome generation is very horrible? nearly every picture of a 'good' biome in this thread has been either of the beggining of the mountain range biome or a big rear end sea.

Where has the box canyons, hiding a enclosed forest gone? pre 1.8 had so much more interesting terrain and now it is all flat, segregated and completely boring.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Notch is a horrible coder.
And yet here we all are.

He's so clearly amateurish -- we've established that time and time again when he doesn't spend his time coding in the exact right way or leaves a glaring bug -- and yet there's still no superior Minecraft spinoff.
Instead all we get is FortressCraft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Notch is an idiot savant of game design.