Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 47 minutes!

Vib Rib posted:

Notch is a horrible coder.
And yet here we all are.

He's so clearly amateurish -- we've established that time and time again when he doesn't spend his time coding in the exact right way or leaves a glaring bug -- and yet there's still no superior Minecraft spinoff.
Instead all we get is FortressCraft.

That's the thing, right? Notch whipped up the basics of Minecraft as some goofy little toy with like four block types in like a week. Yet we haven't even seen so much as a prototype from anybody who claims to know better, even though they have the benefit of not having to invent the idea from scratch as notch did and also planning the project out for expansion from the beginning. It's actually a little baffling, to be honest, because I feel like you could make some real fuckin money if you set out and made a better one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
:mad: I HATE SNOWMEN :mad:

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

notch posted:

The snowmen are ridiculously suicidal, throwing snowballs at creepers and spiders, annoying them to attack the snowmen. It's funny. :D

gently caress the haters! This is awesome.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Reminds me of how people looked at Dwarf Fortress. Now there was a truly inspiring game, with a truly frustrating development cycle.

"Why," everyone asked, "is this brilliant concept not being picked up by a more competent coder?"

And so in the dark icy land of Sweden, an obscure indie programmer took up the challenge to make his own version of Dwarf Fortress... but he ended up getting distracted and made Minecraft instead.

I'm sure there's a lesson there somewhere.

But seriously, if the guy's having fun making snowmen, let him have fun making snowmen. It'll add something to the game at least. I mean, he could just dick around and play other games when he's frustrated coding something boring-yet-important.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Al! posted:

That's the thing, right? Notch whipped up the basics of Minecraft as some goofy little toy with like four block types in like a week. Yet we haven't even seen so much as a prototype from anybody who claims to know better, even though they have the benefit of not having to invent the idea from scratch as notch did and also planning the project out for expansion from the beginning. It's actually a little baffling, to be honest, because I feel like you could make some real fuckin money if you set out and made a better one.
I would unironically love to see a big studio pick up the idea and run with it.
I mean a lot of people have sarcastically quipped that there's so much money in the "Minecraft" genre that a big studio doing the idea "right" could make a lot of money. Well drat, I say I'd love to see it. Anyone from Valve to loving EA. Let's do this. Someone, anyone.

There's a reason I cling to games like Stranded 2 and Minecraft despite their shaky coding, simplistic visuals, slow updates and frequent bugs.
Because indie developers are the only goddamn ones who bother making survival games like this.

I can't be the only potential customer who loves to play Robinson Crusoe. Why is the concept so utterly ignored by mainstream developers and big studios?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Al! posted:

It's actually a little baffling, to be honest, because I feel like you could make some real fuckin money if you set out and made a better one.

Minecraft has momentum, accessibility, a good sense of humor, and a near-endless fanbase spreading it by word of mouth and improving on the base game's ugly aesthetic. Accidental or not, it's a masterwork of presentation.

I suspect there's also a kind of Catch-22 at work; most of Minecraft's problems (bugs aside) are that it's trying to be a game and a toy at the same time and the game side is anemic and clumsy. But the kind of person who would design a more game-like game wouldn't make a Minecraft clone in the first place.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Sep 21, 2011

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I'm looking forward to snowmen. I'd edit the skin and make myself an army of Calvin & Hobbes-esque snow monstroseties!

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
The reason nobody's making a competitor to Minecraft is because it'd just wind up a rip-off of that game, plus while the game is busted in many ways it's still functional for the most part, so instead they make mods which regularly fix the issues in the vanilla game.

Of course, then they descend into drama spirals and need to be quarantined away in another thread, thank goodness, but all the same.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Al! posted:

Because it's a passion to make a game like this. It's everything you're going to do with your life for years.

People think because they can hit 'Submit Reply' on a forum they can act like they're capable of doing everything on the planet, and everyone else is a retard... riiight.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hungry Gerbil posted:

Notch is an idiot savant of game design.

This sums it up nicely. Game design != game development, unfortunately. I'm glad they hired an outside CEO, and Jeb seems like a genuinely good guy/coder, but Notch is not going to be the John Carmack of the sandbox block world genre, unfortunately. Minecraft reached critical mass long ago, but what Notch does or doesn't do at this point isn't going to have much effect on the game/community at this point.

Also: Can we make use of the word "entitlement" bannable, or at least a probatable offense? Using the word "entitlement" labels you as a 12 year old boy incapable of independent or original thought. :smithicide:

Jewel
May 2, 2009

And more about snowmen!

Notch posted:

The snowmen are ridiculously suicidal, throwing snowballs at creepers and spiders, annoying them to attack the snowmen. It's funny. :D

Remember that snowballs deal 0 damage.

They do sound kinda cute :3:

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems
1.9, wherein I wander the wastes with nothing but steak and an indomitable force of snowmen..

Carver
Jan 14, 2003

Vib Rib posted:

Though mineshafts can get a little on the large side.

I get an instant Daggerfall flashback looking at this.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
You can have a QA and bug fixing cell 10 times the size of Mojang and still end up with a bug-ridden mess like, say, the sorry clusterfuck that's become the saga of the Sims 3 expansions.

Which is not to excuse Notch entirely about the crappy code, but on the other hand I like the little bursts of whimsy. He seems properly functional compared to some of the weirdos in the mod scene, or indeed other sperg-game developers we could mention.

Traveller In Time
Apr 4, 2009

You got anything to eat? I haven't eaten anything since later this afternoon.

Odette posted:

I'm telling PETA. :colbert:

The pistons at the top hold back water source blocks that flood the chamber after the switch is pulled, then I can go round back and fire in more eggs to load it up.

The worst part is the chilling silence after they all die. :(

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Honestly constructible defenses against dangerous mobs is exactly the kind of thing I think the game could use, if only it were all pieced together better. Instead you've got craftable minions that don't actually do damage, built from a trivially available resource, to attack mobs that don't really need defending against.

You can do all kinds of things in Minecraft, there's just never any compelling reason to do so other than creativity. And yet it has hunger and health and scarcity and all these other trappings of goal-based gameplay, just without actual goals.

The game is still fun most of the time because the creative side is nigh-perfect, but it's kind of frustrating to see all these scattered pieces of something that could hold your attention much longer if only it were all integrated into a single system.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I don't understand how this doom and gloom can be so prevalent after what we got in 1.8. Whatever you like about Minecraft- exploring the surface, spelunking, or just building pretty things without worrying about resources- 1.8 made incredible strides to improve the game.

Biggest most satisfying update the game has ever had, and people are whining about the lack of direction the next week... because Notch added a fun little thing to the game. People are honestly upset and angry at how Notch spent the couple hours or whatever coding a snowman instead of fixing bugs.

"Entitlement" may be an overused slur... but if the word means anything at all, I'm sure you could see at least a hint of entitlement in this situation.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I just want lanterns. Tired of only having torches or full block sized glowstone to use as lights. I don't care what else he adds as long as he adds lanterns. Especially if they can be hung.

Carrion Luggage
Nov 24, 2006

V for Vegas posted:

gently caress the haters! This is awesome.

I want defensive turrets to build around my buildings so I can avoid littering the landscape with torches.

Zero Trust
Dec 29, 2009

"the car's on fire, and there's no driver at the wheel..."

mrwuss posted:

I want defensive turrets to build around my buildings so I can avoid littering the landscape with torches.

Arrow filled dispenser on-top of a fence post, rightclicked with redstone to program it with SpergAI

Autoturret!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I am going to build a million snowmen and use them as sentries on my fortress walls. In fact, I wonder if I can set up a minecart circuit and stick a snowman in the cart, as a kind of patrolling sniper.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Traveller In Time posted:

The pistons at the top hold back water source blocks that flood the chamber after the switch is pulled, then I can go round back and fire in more eggs to load it up.

The worst part is the chilling silence after they all die. :(

This is amazing.

I can't wait to see Kas' textures for the snowmen :3:

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

This is the only worthwhile potential snowman reskin.

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan
I look at stuff like the snowman the same way I look at other quirky and fun little useless features in any other game. How many times have you come across something like that in a game that probably took 5 minutes to put in but is cool to discover anyway? Hell, New Vegas had an entire trait devoted to them.

Notch took a little downtime to add something in that is easily ignorable but would be pretty drat cool if you were exploring the game with fresh eyes and came across. There's no gameplay reason for a bunch of the new blocks he's added, either, but they're not complained about.

I'd love it if he bunkered down and fixed all of the bugs, too, but it's ridiculous think he's giving up any real amount of polish or work to throw something like this in once in a while.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
Well it's not something cool you come across. They're a turret defense system in the guise of adorable snowmen.

The entire thing is very minecraftian, if you ask me.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Eiba posted:

I don't understand how this doom and gloom can be so prevalent

"Entitlement" may be an overused slur... but if the word means anything at all, I'm sure you could see at least a hint of entitlement in this situation.

I think the conversation has moved on from "WOW. I cannot believe we did not get feature xyz :words:", to disccusion about "someone like Notch is calling the shots for a $25 Million company? :psyboom:"

Don't get me wrong, I love Minecraft and that they are offering incremental - and with the 1.8 update, generational improvements in the game. There is no "but," here. The problem is that Mojang is a failed company in the long term with Notch steering the ship.

That said, I hope he and Mojang continue to innovate games and publish other indie titles such as Cobalt. If anything long term comes from Minecraft, it will be a solid publisher of quality indie titles. If that was the CEO's idea, then more power to him, and it sounds like they made an excellent choice in hiring him.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Snowmen over Yetis?? gently caress you, Notch

unless we're talking TMNT2 Arcade Edition Snowmen, with rocket noses and robotic skeletons.

I still just want the Mo Creatures stuff in the game and I'll be a happy boy as far as mobs are concerned.

Enzer posted:

WilsonSMP uses Minehost for our hosting and have gotten nothing but great service from them. Even with the problems 1.8 SMP seems to be having we are fine averaging 25 players while slow and maxing out 60 easily, we are about to upgrade to an eighty slot server and yet even maxed out the only real lag we experience is from the memory leak issues found in the latest patch.

In short they are incredibly stable, hardware is always top of the line, Huns their developer has hand written their incredible control panel and most of the rest of their server infrastructure and as you can see on their SAmart page, they set you up with your server insanely fast.

AAA service, would buy again.

I play here and I'll vouch for minehost. Huns always comes on to fix our problems and isn't deterred by idiots like me on the server!

THE MACHO MAN fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 21, 2011

Vinigre
Feb 18, 2011

Prepare your bladder for imminent release!
I wonder if snowmen could be used to aggro mobs and tricking them into trying to cross a lava moat. The snowmen would need to be fenced in to keep them from falling, themselves.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

HAL9100 posted:

I thought there was some problem with them randomly/inexplicably dying when you tried to raise them in close quarters?

If you have a bunch of chickens, they occasionally push each other into walls. If the walls are "solid" that means they suffocate for like a half a second and lose some of their health, when this happens enough times they die. The only way to avoid this is to use non-"solid" blocks like fences or glass/glass panes (in both cases you should stack them 2 high to avoid escape).

So that's how you build a chicken coop that won't kill chickens.

DR AIDS
Nov 4, 2008

No shits will be given
Making a building in the middle of a large body of water, anybody know the best way to get rid of a lot of water?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

DR AIDS posted:

Making a building in the middle of a large body of water, anybody know the best way to get rid of a lot of water?

You have to replace it with something and then get rid of that something, basically. Wood or wool work well because you can just burn them away afterwards, sand and gravel are easier because you can stand above the water and drop them in rather than having to swim down and come up for air all the time, but they're more of a pain to get rid of afterwards, although you could go with the torch trick to speed things up.

DR AIDS
Nov 4, 2008

No shits will be given

chippy posted:

You have to replace it with something and then get rid of that something, basically. Wood or wool work well because you can just burn them away afterwards, sand and gravel are easier because you can stand above the water and drop them in rather than having to swim down and come up for air all the time, but they're more of a pain to get rid of afterwards, although you could go with the torch trick to speed things up.

Torch trick you say? Go on.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

Mordaedil posted:

You're entitled to an opinion, but you are freaking out over a snow-man model.

Yeah I can park my dog next to it and then just never use either of them, it'll be great! What's your problem, guys?

Al! posted:

This is because the other groups did not put as much into their game as Notch is. Like snowmen or not, whether or not you think Notch's design decisions are stupid, he is adding more stuff to the game, and the modding community helps to flesh out the game a lot. I think, with most games, the modders add a ton of life into the game (look at Morrowind, which is still being modded and replayed even though it came out in 2003). These other guys just copied what Minecraft had at the time, and released it in like a month, no add-ons, no more content later, and I don't think they even had good co-op play, which makes up the bulk of what people do in Minecraft. The other guys I guess just guessed what Minecraft would be like at release time and tried to beat them to it, with better graphics or whatever. Terraria was a game that started as a Minecraft clone and evolved into something else and is actually successful on its own. There also is not really any need for competition between these types of games, people will go for the one which is the first, or has more features.

Devoyniche fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Sep 21, 2011

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

DR AIDS posted:

Power-mining gravel (or sand)

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

DR AIDS posted:

Gravel/Sand that falls onto a torch automatically breaks. So dig all the way down under the first non-gravel block, plant a torch, break that block, instant stack of gravel/sand.

Estel
May 4, 2010
If you are quick you don't really need a last non gravel or non sand block, just remove the last block and quickly put a torch.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Yeah, just hold the torch, hold left click to smash away at that gravel and then the instant it breaks just right click.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
You don't even need to be holding the torch, there's more than enough time to switch away from your shovel. If you're too fast, the next-to-last block will forget to start falling, but then you can just remove it manually and the rest of the column will take care of itself.

Andenno
May 1, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Also: Can we make use of the word "entitlement" bannable, or at least a probatable offense? Using the word "entitlement" labels you as a 12 year old boy incapable of independent or original thought. :smithicide:

Slippery slope: then, to be fair, we'd have to ban references to Asperger's. And then what would we have left to talk about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I like the snowman, but it is a little disheartening. It's not like I'm asking for crazy new features, I'm just tired of "oops! I fell off a ledge in SMP and died! Now the server won't work for 2 hours while three people try to siphon up all the orbs, which actually dupes them and makes way more experience for the next time someone dies, so the server won't work for 4 hours."