Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I've been jamming with a dude who's opening for Ufomammut in his band, so he's gonna try and get me backstage when they play in Bristol - let's hope so.

And then there's Yob a week or so after! For the first time in my life. Holy poo poo.

That said, you guys really make me want to put Earth 2 on repeat right now. It is a loving amazing record

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Idioteque Dance posted:

I've been jamming with a dude who's opening for Ufomammut in his band, so he's gonna try and get me backstage when they play in Bristol - let's hope so.

:stare: I am so jealous.

Even a Ufomammut gig would be nice, don't have the time or money to go over to England just to see them though :(

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

Metanaut posted:

Finally gave Yob's Atma a spin and maybe I'm a tone deaf brute, but I don't understand why some complain about the sound quality.

It's not the sound quality, more the way it's mixed. It's a very mono-centric mix, with the guitar spread at somewhere like 15-20% L/R, vocals centered, bass centered, kick centered, and only the occasional toms and cymbals using the rest of the spread. That combined with the guitar tone (very mid-heavy, no bass, no 3k+ highs) occupying some of the traditional vocal space, and the vocals pushed even higher (why they sound so cutting) makes ATMA sound nothing like YOB's previous albums.

It's a much harsher sound overall, and not in the way people were expecting. From what I've heard Mike say, the sound on the album is supposed to be the live sound. If you see a YOB show, the new stuff will translate perfectly. And tbh it's loving amazing live. Just that mixing an album to match that is a weird choice.

It's grown on me though, the album sounds better the louder you play it :).

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

The slave is doomed to worship time and fate and death, because they are greater than anything he finds in himself.

The Gasmask posted:

It's grown on me though, the album sounds better the louder you play it :).

This perfectly describes so many of my favourite albums.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008
Oh my gosh, The Obsessed are reuniting for Roadburn 2012. This is looking to be even better than this years festival!

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Regarding the Earth show:

At some point during the show, I became so heavy that my feet became rooted in the ground and turned into a mighty tree. Years passed as the sun and the rain pressed against my trunk. I watched as small animals built nests in my branches and young lovers sat at my base. The ages passed until I was hewn and cut up to fashion the hull of an exploring ship. Bright eyed voyagers sailed me to parts unknown until a storm took us all to the bottom of the sea, where I became a temporary home for other types of small animals until I finally wasted away.

so it was pretty good

Mordekai
Sep 6, 2006

Salt in the wound eases the soul.

Silver Brushes posted:

Regarding the Earth show:

At some point during the show, I became so heavy that my feet became rooted in the ground and turned into a mighty tree. Years passed as the sun and the rain pressed against my trunk. I watched as small animals built nests in my branches and young lovers sat at my base. The ages passed until I was hewn and cut up to fashion the hull of an exploring ship. Bright eyed voyagers sailed me to parts unknown until a storm took us all to the bottom of the sea, where I became a temporary home for other types of small animals until I finally wasted away.

so it was pretty good

Haha sounds awesome. But I get a small suspicion that mind-altering substances were consumed before the concert.

Goint to Ufomammut + Morkobot in ten minutes. Then YOB on tuesday. And Nadja plays later this month I think. A good time for doom.

seafood28
Nov 14, 2007
So my friend and I went traveling for 6 months last year, and we filmed ourselves headbanging in front of all the famous sites. I set it all to "Flower Travelin' Man" by Earthless, so I thought some of you guys might enjoy watching this.

http://vimeo.com/29300907

Falls Motel
May 2, 2009
New Rwake album is streaming and my preliminary thoughts are it might be the best thing they've done. Stuck on this band right now, kind of amazed by the quality and artfulness of the poo poo they do.

http://rwake.bandcamp.com/album/rest

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

New Mastodon, bar one or two songs, is pretty weak sauce.

flamingdawg
May 25, 2006
mastodon have been wack for years.

West
Jul 8, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

flamingdawg posted:

mastodon have been wack for years.

Not as whack as your lack of justification thereof.

In other news, my friend Keith drew a comic about Matt Pike today.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

That one Sleep comic I like. The above not so much.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Quantum of Phallus posted:

New Mastodon, bar one or two songs, is pretty weak sauce.

Creature Lives is so far beyond any other song of theirs in how bad it is. They have done songs I didn't like, but that is so bad. I think between this and Crack the Skye they are in "listen to the new albums but don't get pumped any more for them" territory from here on out.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Asnorban posted:

Creature Lives is so far beyond any other song of theirs in how bad it is.

I liked Crack the Skye when I first listened to it but it was the complete opposite of some grower albums. There's a few great ideas here and there but a lot of it is bad.

Giving Creature Lives a listen again now...
Hmmm...I thought there was worse on the album to be honest. It's still fairly weak, the lyrics are awful.

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 21, 2011

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

-Woops, replied instead of quoted.-

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 21, 2011

seafood28
Nov 14, 2007
Crack the Skye is by far my favourite Mastodon album, and one of my all-time favourite albums, as well. I can't wait to pick up the new album, I like what I have heard. I jsut wish there were some longer songs on it.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
I said it in the Metal thread and I'll say it here, Creature Lives is my favorite song on the new album. It's just so different from what they normally do. I hope that they trend more in that direction on future albums.

I could listen to that song on repeat and not get sick of it.

flamingdawg
May 25, 2006

West posted:

i just think they haven't done anything really sticky or worth getting excited about since leviathan. it's just my opinion.

e: crack the skye seemed good at first, but i lost interest in it really quickly. i think it was the predominance of clean vocals. then again the jonah hex tunes they did were okay.

flamingdawg fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 22, 2011

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic
Like I said in the metal thread, I think it's a really fun record. I've listened to it a couple more times and I like it more each time. I remember reading an interview with Brann Dailor (I think) where he said they wanted to make an album that people would want to party and dance naked and stuff to. I can definitely hear that intention, though I don't know if I'd ever expect to hear it at a party or anything. But I don't get invited to parties so who knows.

I agree that Creature Lives is great. It's so out of left field for them and even for the album itself but I think it works really well. I'm already a nerd for Mastodon anyway but I'm still pleasantly surprised how much I'm enjoying this album. After Opeth and Dream Theater disappointed, this is nice.

edit: also I meant to say earlier but I went to the Weedeater/Saviours/Bison BC show in Toronto last week and gently caress me if Weedeater aren't heavy as hell live. And intense, too. The frontman looked like he'd just as soon eat your throat as play another song. Goddamn, it was ridiculous. And Bison (the band I went to the show for) loving slayed as well. So much energy, really got the crowd going. Saviours was kind of boring by comparison. They weren't terrible, but largely stationary noodling was a poor choice to follow up a band like Bison.

Velocirocktor fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Sep 22, 2011

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
I hear tons of complaints about the last half of The Hunter, but honestly I think I like that section the most. Creature Lives made my ears perk up for the rest of the album, as the first half was fairly standard/expected Mastodon fare.

Can't wait for Weedeater/Bison...hometown show for Bison so it's going to be insane.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Why are you talking about Mastodon in this thread anyway?

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Dyna Soar posted:

Force of habit?

Moving on to bands I assume pretty much everyone in this thread can enjoy, I got the Rise Above reprint LPs of Church of Misery's Master of Brutality and The Second Coming yesterday. Doomy goodness!

Not to mention the Iron Monkey full-lengths that arrived Tuesday.

Edit: Oh, hey, this French band called Celeste, have you heard them?
I got their debut, Pessimiste(s) a while ago and last week ordered a couple other albums of theirs (but they haven't arrived yet). Can't speak of anything but the debut, but that's some pissed off as hell sludge.

Frank Caskelot fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Sep 22, 2011

flamingdawg
May 25, 2006
fair enough. who likes capricorns? the answer is all of you. also i can recommend the conan/slomatics split ep

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
A band that I'd never heard of, Megaton Leviathan, opened up for the Wolves in the Throne Room show I went to this past weekend (and the played before an indie pop band and an R&B solo project... but I digress). They actually really blew me away, so I'm recommending their album, Water Wealth Hell on Earth to you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSYABlLLpqQ

They're from Portland, so you know they're good. They sounded 100% heavier and huge live though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dyna Soar posted:

They used to be sort of sludge-y and they remind me of Kylesa and Baroness I suppose.

More Gore
Nov 20, 2007
Bloooooood

seafood28 posted:

So my friend and I went traveling for 6 months last year, and we filmed ourselves headbanging in front of all the famous sites. I set it all to "Flower Travelin' Man" by Earthless, so I thought some of you guys might enjoy watching this.

http://vimeo.com/29300907

I don't know why nobody has said anything about this yet? This is loving awesome. I couldn't believe how many incredible spots you guys went to. And the song is excellent as well!

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Listened to that album (Sonic Prayer) like three times tonight :)

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Idioteque Dance posted:

Listened to that album (Sonic Prayer) like three times tonight :)

I loved Rhythms from a Cosmic Sky, so finding out that they have ANOTHER album and the news about Absu? Hell yea. This is an amazing day.

flamingdawg
May 25, 2006
if you like earthless, give 35007 a try: http://youtu.be/dPv9dPCKYAw

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Frank Caskelot posted:

Edit: Oh, hey, this French band called Celeste, have you heard them?
I got their debut, Pessimiste(s) a while ago and last week ordered a couple other albums of theirs (but they haven't arrived yet). Can't speak of anything but the debut, but that's some pissed off as hell sludge.

Their entire catalog is up for free download from their label's website (http://denovali.com/mp3shop/Free-Downloads:::2.html). They also get a lot of play in the punk thread. Divider (http://dividerny.bandcamp.com/) have a similar sound.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

anticake posted:

Their entire catalog is up for free download from their label's website (http://denovali.com/mp3shop/Free-Downloads:::2.html). They also get a lot of play in the punk thread. Divider (http://dividerny.bandcamp.com/) have a similar sound.

Thanks for this! I was aware of the first album's availability and had downloaded it long ago, but I didn't know they have this free download section there that contains all of those.

Duncan Doenitz
Nov 17, 2010

There are four lights.
Would a show featuring Weedeater, Saviours and Fight Amp be worth seeing? I saw Saviours at Ozzfest last year and thought they were good, if not exceptional, but I know little about the other two.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Weedeater are fuckin' great live, and the only band that for me have come close to Sunn O))) in terms of sheer volume. Definitely go for it.

beeps-a-palooza
Jan 2, 2009

by T. Finn
anyone seen bongripper live?

West
Jul 8, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Idioteque Dance posted:

Weedeater are fuckin' great live, and the only band that for me have come close to Sunn O))) in terms of sheer volume. Definitely go for it.

Agreed! Was Dave shooting fireworks at the crowd?

Southern sludge phenoms Junior Bruce, featuring members of Bloodlet, released two songs from their upcoming debut LP on A389 Recordings.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Featuring our sound engineer / producer MP.

We're recording today & tomorrow, feeling real good about it.

Xithyl
Jul 17, 2004

Watching You Pee
I need some more stuff in the vein of Acid Bath. :)

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic

llama_arse posted:

Would a show featuring Weedeater, Saviours and Fight Amp be worth seeing? I saw Saviours at Ozzfest last year and thought they were good, if not exceptional, but I know little about the other two.

Yeah, go. I was pretty much unfamiliar with Weedeater when I went and it was a blast. Is Bison BC not playing at the show you're considering? They're on that tour and they kill it live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thalamus
Jan 20, 2007

Peace, Brothers & Sisters!

West posted:

My only complaint is that he isn't nearly fat enough.