Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Rejected Fate posted:

A Sufi Shi'a Azeri :colbert:

Sufi Mysticism here we go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

nothing to seehere posted:

Hey, that Spanish crusader state has been annexed by the Spanish muslins!

IIRC that was last turn, and it appears to have been Christians who did it. Infidels fighting infidels, it is madness. They are all equally damned!

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
People talking about invading Armenia are being silly. What do we want with backwards cross-man worshipping polytheist lands? Kurdistan looks like a tastier morsel, rather.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

MadPierrot posted:

I am so happy that we took Georgia and that reforms (hopefully for the better in the long run) are being enacted. This LP is going in an excellent direction!
Indeed. This is exactly what I'd hoped for at the outset- religious and ethnic conflict so fierce and costly that the only hope for survival is tolerance. With all it's been through, Azerbaijan could be a nice country.

The Saurus posted:

People talking about invading Armenia are being silly. What do we want with backwards cross-man worshipping polytheist lands? Kurdistan looks like a tastier morsel, rather.
But, but, look at the map!

Azerbaijan has been impaled, or maybe it's got a gaping mouth that's been filled with Armenia. How can you not get the overwhelming desire to see Azerbaijan bite down and fill itself, resulting in a nice straight rational border?

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
There's nothing more rational than sticking to the rich coastline and avoiding the poor interior! And Armenia is a strong foe, who could beat us handily without Syrian help (which is not guaranteed). And Syria would undoubtedly take a large amount of land in any war with Armenia too...Their inexorable growth should worry any right thinking Azeri. We must absorb the last of the minor powers on our borders, then we can take on Armenia ourselves, without the need to hide under Syrian skirts like concubines and weaklings.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
[quote="The Saurus"]
There's nothing more rational than sticking to the rich coastline and avoiding the poor interior!

Kartili (the province that would give us Pretty Borders) is pretty decent for the region.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Eiba posted:

But, but, look at the map!

Azerbaijan has been impaled, or maybe it's got a gaping mouth that's been filled with Armenia. How can you not get the overwhelming desire to see Azerbaijan bite down and fill itself, resulting in a nice straight rational border?

I agree with this man, we are being threatened by a knife to our very heart.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The Saurus posted:

There's nothing more rational than sticking to the rich coastline and avoiding the poor interior!

There's no point in a war that will not guarantee pretty borders for our descendants. Think of the children!

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

ZearothK posted:

There's no point in a war that will not guarantee pretty borders for our descendants. Think of the children!

What if the children fancy octopi or sea anemones? We need to spread our tendrils everywhere, while leaving space in between our expansion lines as to best imitate sea life!

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
Truly the darkest desire in the hearts of all men is the desire for pretty borders.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
I shall be requesting an audience with the sultan to put forward the policy that we must burn all maps in Azerbaijan, that it will stop this mass hysteria of favouring foolish invasions.

Everyone knows Kurdistan produces more great generals per annum than anywhere else except Azerbaijan. :colbert: With both of them under our control, we can conquer Armenia and Syria both!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Give me pretty borders or give me death.

(has this become an impromptu vote?)

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Did somebody say vote?

The Official Pretty Borders Vote Count

For: (7) Sniper4625, Eiba, Patter Song, Herr Tog, ZearothK, Pakled, farraday
Against: (2) The Saurus, nimby

Go pretty borders!

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 22, 2011

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

sniper4625 posted:

For: (6) Sniper4625, Eiba, Patter Song, Herr Tog, ZearothK, Pakled
Against: (20) The Saurus, nimby

Nice to see the bribe I gave you back then is still paying off today

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Well pretty borders will come in handy when the time comes to modernize the country and place railroads everywhere.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Sorry, I won't vote for anything that a little customized icon hasn't told me to.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

The Saurus posted:

Nice to see the bribe I gave you back then is still paying off today

Please stop misquoting my posts!

Also I would totally make icons if I wasn't sick. Tomorrow!

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I'm sorry I was just trying to be funny by referencing old Nazi propaganda validating the invasion of Czechoslovakia, I didn't mean to aid in the derail. Strike my 'vote' from the record.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
I don't desire pretty borders, but I do desire petty bribes, so I'm voting for pretty borders until said bribe appears.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Herr Tog posted:

I'm sorry I was just trying to be funny by referencing old Nazi propaganda validating the invasion of Czechoslovakia, I didn't mean to aid in the derail. Strike my 'vote' from the record.

No that is not how voting works, you can't take it back. Also, this is a completely authorized vote. Why? Because Wiz's tyranny over this thread has gone on long enough!

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Just as in Crete there were only two real parties - Pro-owl and anti-owl, so in Azerbaijan there are only two parties. Pretty borders and intelligent expansion :colbert:

Sniper, move Herr Tog's vote as he requested. We shall not merely trade one tyrant for another!

vvv This is a slippery slope that will end with us giving away land to make ourselves more attractive to cartographers!

The Saurus fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Sep 22, 2011

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Let me make it official, then.

Boldly Organizing Reforms of our Defensive Outlying Regions ACT

The Sultan is hereby directed to take actions that will give Azerbaijan an aesthetically pleasing form on the world map, including taking Kartili province. To that end, he is instructed to produce a causus belli appropriate for such a task, likely Holy War. The Sultan must take this action within the next 15 years.

In the future, the Sultan must not take land in a war except such land as contributes to the aesthetic charm of our homeland.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Clearly what we should do is declare war on the Golden Horde in order to link up with our similarly coloured brethren! There's no possible way it can fail, and we'll have a very nicely coloured tan blob!

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Simplified, to make it clear we're not doing Crete 2.0.

YES: 6 (Sniper4625, Eiba, Patter Song, ZearothK, Pakled, Lord Baxter)
NO: 2 (The Saurus, nimby)

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 22, 2011

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
Oh no don't do this :(

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Zeron posted:

Clearly what we should do is declare war on the Golden Horde in order to link up with our similarly coloured brethren!

Good point. We should support the Unnamed dynasty in all their efforts, their religion seems quite similar to the mighty sufiism.

Sniper Herr Tog changed his vote you despot!

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Look, the thread just went gold. :toot:

This is a clear sign that the people want voting!

Also fine, I removed Herr Tog.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

How about no.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
I just voted this thread a '1' to try and undo the gold so that sniper would have to stop the voting. It didn't work. Now I feel bad :(. I'm going to click the 5 button a hundred times now in the hope it will undo my deed.

vvv This is a good point. Wiz should release the mod immediately to placate the masses.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

As Terry Pratchett wrote, "He gave the people democracy and they voted against it." Let's just skip the voting part.

If people want input they can play the mod for themselves when it gets released.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
Look, Crete was fun, but gently caress this. Azerbaijan is not Crete. This is not a legislative LP. Go start one, if you want that to happen.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Look, we just came out of a 3 page debate on what the term "pitched battle" meant. All this that this "vote" means is that people can have their say about what they hope Azerbaijan to become in the future. (Pretty borders or focusing on good territory). Will Wiz care about this vote? Almost certainly not! It's no different then the usual suggestions and such between updates, it's just in a different form. This isn't going to become Crete 2.0.

Edit: Besides, this thread is going to have the occasional vote...just consider this a practice run. Or ignore it, if you really hate the idea.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 22, 2011

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
I think where you went wrong was reusing the old Crete legislative update thing...Makes it seem too similar. With just a bit of effort, all this could have been avoided:

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

The Saurus posted:

I think where you went wrong was reusing the old Crete legislative update thing...Makes it seem too similar. With just a bit of effort, all this could have been avoided:

Yes I was going to do that tomorrow when Photoshop was acting nicer. Thanks!

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
There needs to be an Ugly borders casus belli.

And clearly this is a motion any Azeri can support.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Hasn't anyone ever even looked at modern day azerbaijan's borders? They're totally hosed. And then they've got that one exclave between armenia and iran plus a whole bunch of little bits and pieces inside armenia's borders. I think in honor of that wiz should strive for the ugliest borders he can manage.

e; to be honest I really just want to make all the borderspergs in here squirm :unsmigghh:

super fart shooter fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 22, 2011

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I don't support any borders that aren't twisting and turning and pushing further, ever further, towards the moon. That's right, we're declaring war on the sky. Those clouds have had it easy for long enough :colbert:

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
^^^ Everyone knows the only way to ascend into the sky is via Jerusalem. Invade Syria/Annex dome of the rock/invade the heavens and force-convert Allah to sufi mysticism.

The modern southern border of Azerbaijan is also 100 miles north of our current capital of Tabriz too - So I wouldn't want Wiz to adhere to a modern image of Azerbaijan too much.

LordBaxter
Sep 7, 2009

I finally managed to make everybody like me, if only for one day
Yes to pretty borders. Our nation must either be square, rectangular or roughly circular in shape.

Also start setting up for world-conquering come HoI, we're gonna need a long history of conquest. And tanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

we are all dead men on leave
No Azerbaijan in HoI. I think Wiz said that it would be too much of a pain in the rear end with little or no payoff in the end (IIRC it's geared towards a world war no matter what, so we'd be stuck either doing nothing or seeing a situation play out similarly to the one already in the Hohen LP).

• Locked thread