Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Rustybear posted:

Also hastily shoehorned jon+dany ice n' fire targ romance puts jon and arya in direct conflict. Books end with the every major house broken and at each others throats.

Hmmm. A Golden Witchbreed - Ancient Light sort of ending would be interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smudgie Buggler
Feb 27, 2005

SET PHASERS TO "GRINDING TEDIUM"
I'm slowly reading through this series, and am nearly finished A Clash of Kings.

I'm having a lot of trouble understanding why Arya didn't declare her identity to Roose Bolton after he takes Harrenhal. It doesn't seem to be explained. Surely she could prove her heritage easily enough with knowledge of her family, her upbringing, Winterfell etc. She recognises him as one of her brother's bannermen when he arrives. I just don't understand why she'd stay silent and servile.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Cwapface posted:

I'm slowly reading through this series, and am nearly finished A Clash of Kings.

I'm having a lot of trouble understanding why Arya didn't declare her identity to Roose Bolton after he takes Harrenhal. It doesn't seem to be explained. Surely she could prove her heritage easily enough with knowledge of her family, her upbringing, Winterfell etc. She recognises him as one of her brother's bannermen when he arrives. I just don't understand why she'd stay silent and servile.

Arya's journey in ACoK is all about setting up whose loyalties are where. "I'm a daughter of a man just executed for treason, help me". She's already survived a few turn of events and now ends up in 'custody' of a house of whom she's wary. Arya's young and smart enough to lay low.

Enough to properly plan her escape (she could read messages, etc. could move somewhat freely) But, why couldn't she have sent a raven to Robb letting him know she's somewhat safe

lapse
Jun 27, 2004

Cwapface posted:

I don't remember exactly what the reasoning was, but I thought she was suspicious of him for some reason.

I seem to recall an inner monologue where she was actually planning to do just that, and decided against it. So find that passage, I guess.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

geeves posted:

But, why couldn't she have sent a raven to Robb letting him know she's somewhat safe
I thought of this too but I imagine she didn't do it because Ravens can be intercepted and she didn't want to be found.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

the kawaiiest posted:

I thought of this too but I imagine she didn't do it because Ravens can be intercepted and she didn't want to be found.

Wasn't Arya also suffering from minor insecurities about her family still loving her? I remember her wondering if her mother would even want her back and I thought that fear extended to Robb.

She didn't know Roose personally, she just heard unsettling things about him and his house. Therefore, she didn't trust him.

waar
Sep 29, 2001
Doubt she would even know how to send a raven

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Quantify! posted:

I look forward to Dany meeting Tyrion, but I look forward even more to Dany meeting Jaime.

Jaimeee~~~ has blonde hair and a gold handddd. Daaaarioo and his gold tooth will be fast forgotten. Jaime might have to start braiding his beard.

VVVV How did Jaime gently caress Tyrion over VVVV

niethan fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 21, 2011

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Quantify! posted:

Foreshadowed in the first book when Tyrion gives Jon some good advice.

The great thing about Tyrion is he's so cheerfully indifferent to which side he's on. The only reason he worked against Stannis is because Stannis probably would've beheaded him had he won. He uses his house name to prop himself up and look more important, but in fact he has little loyalty to his own house which is understandable given how he's been treated by his family.

I look forward to Dany meeting Tyrion, but I look forward even more to Dany meeting Jaime.

I think Tyrion had a fair bit of loyalty to his own house, even though he hated the people in it (with the exception of Jaime, who always looked out for Tyrion). What changed his mind was getting completely hosed over by everyone in his house, including the one brother he actually liked.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Tyrion and Jaime will be :respek: dragon-riding bros :respek: with Danaerys, it is known.

waar
Sep 29, 2001

DirtyRobot posted:

I think Tyrion had a fair bit of loyalty to his own house, even though he hated the people in it (with the exception of Jaime, who always looked out for Tyrion). What changed his mind was getting completely hosed over by everyone in his house, including the one brother he actually liked.

Jaime didn't gently caress Tyrion over, he was forced to do what he did by Tywin. Besides they were basically kids back then anyway. Tyrion can feel emotional anger toward Jaime but I don't think he's justified in disowning Jaime.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?

waar posted:

Jaime didn't gently caress Tyrion over, he was forced to do what he did by Tywin. Besides they were basically kids back then anyway. Tyrion can feel emotional anger toward Jaime but I don't think he's justified in disowning Jaime.

I must disagree. Jamie never had a problem telling Tywin to gently caress off before. It wasn't like Jaime was some kind of yes man towards his father. The fact that he went along with what his father planned and kept the secret from Tyrion, who he took an active role in shielding, makes the betrayal that much worse.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

cenzo posted:

I must disagree. Jamie never had a problem telling Tywin to gently caress off before.
No. Jaime never had a problem telling Tywin to gently caress off AFTER. He was loyal to his father until he had a place in society other than as Tywin Lannister's son.

Jaime was his father's son before the King made him one of the Kingsguard, which gave him a place in society that WASN'T heir to Casterly Rock (since he couldn't be after taking the vows anyway). His sense of honor developed while serving under Aerys and culminated in him killing the King. Which was less an act of family loyalty than an act born out of need to stop the maniac from nuking King's Landing.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

So I just finished reading A Dance with Dragons, and overall I liked it. I've liked all of the books to an extent, even A Feast for Crows. I'd probably put DwD above it though, and somewhere along the same level as CoK, but below GoT and SoS.

Like a lot of people here, I was disappointed that the chapters which I thought would be most interesting (Dany, Tyrion) turned out to be a drag. At least Tyrion's started out interesting, and I did not see the reveal of Aegon coming at all, but it was just aggravating to watch Dany be so ineffectual. I was so annoyed with Dany not taking Xaro's boats and getting the hell out of Meereen (yeah, I know, personal growth and all that), but hopefully she's going to stop screwing around in the next book.

I didn't find Jon's chapters especially entertaining either, but it was interesting on some level seeing him balancing out working with the wildlings, the Watch, and the Queen's Men. And while I wouldn't put it past GRRM to kill him off for good, I'll be surprised if that's the case. Not until it's verified by an independent third party, and maybe not even then. Same goes for the fate of Stannis.

My favourite chapters were probably the ones with Theon and Barristan. GRRM did a great job with Theon in particular, making me sympathize and root for a character that I didn't think I ever would. I also liked that he had what passes for a happy ending (for now) in these novels. I thought the chapters with Arya and Cersei were good as well, even if they were short.

One other thing I'm disappointed with was how many cliffhangers the book ended on. I understand that some of them probably weren't GRRM's decision (like the siege of Winterfell and Dany's return to Meereen), and leaving threads open for a subsequent book isn't necessarily bad, but not when you have GRRM's casual attitude to completing novels. Oh, well.

Oh, and when did "Words are wind" become everyone's catchphrase? I don't think that phrase appeared even once in the first three books, or at least it barely did.

Nick Biped fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 21, 2011

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

waar posted:

Doubt she would even know how to send a raven

What?! Noble girls text each other all loving day.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Nick Biped posted:

Oh, and when did "Words are wind" become everyone's catchphrase? I don't think that phrase appeared even once in the first three books, or at least it barely did.

I must have been in book 4, right? About the time everyone started calling shiit "nightsoil" and thinking about the rafters, blackened by smoke. Just so. Dad-a-chowm, it is known.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Ashrik posted:

I must have been in book 4, right? About the time everyone started calling shiit "nightsoil" and thinking about the rafters, blackened by smoke. Just so. Dad-a-chowm, it is known.

Stop bothering me, nuncle.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20
"It is known" is the best phrase, not like that nuncle words are wind where do whores go poo poo.

You do not gently caress with "it is known".

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
I laughed for like thirty seconds after I read the part in Dance where Dany's handmaidens are arguing over which of their crushes was going to kill the other in the arena and one is all "My guy's the best, it is known" and the other gets furious and shouts "It is not known!"

A stupid not-punchline five books in the making and it killed me.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Desumaytah posted:

I laughed for like thirty seconds after I read the part in Dance where Dany's handmaidens are arguing over which of their crushes was going to kill the other in the arena and one is all "My guy's the best, it is known" and the other gets furious and shouts "It is not known!"

I also enjoyed this heartily.

"Nipples on a breastplate" gets overused a lot too, although I think it's at least been present throughout the series.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Ambiguatron posted:

"It is known" is the best phrase, not like that nuncle words are wind where do whores go poo poo.

It's been said a hundred times and one, and it still never gets old.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
So what did happen at Summerhall? Has it been discussed in any detail in the books? (Maybe it was in a Bran chapter, I tend to skim those.)

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Hijinks Ensue posted:

So what did happen at Summerhall? Has it been discussed in any detail in the books? (Maybe it was in a Bran chapter, I tend to skim those.)

poo poo burned, killed the King and his heir. This resulted in Aerys becoming king.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/FAQ/Entry/1990/

You know, maybe.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Desumaytah posted:

I also like the other one:

“You are too skinny for him,” Jhiqui was saying. “You are almost a boy. Rakharo does not bed with boys. This is known.” Irri bristled back. “It is known that you are almost a cow. Rakharo does not bed with cows.”

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

Ross posted:

"Nipples on a breastplate" gets overused a lot too, although I think it's at least been present throughout the series.

Every time I came across that line, my mind would flash back to those horrible Schumacher Batman movies and those nipples he put on the Batman and Robin suits. They weren't too useful then either.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Does someone have that image of how many times "nipples on a breastplate" came up in aDwD and the other books? I thought it was some low number, and that people just reacted so strongly to it that they imagined it was used more frequently than it actually was. And then other phrased actually were abused in the last two books.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

eggsovereasy posted:

poo poo burned, killed the King and his heir. This resulted in Aerys becoming king.

http://www.westeros.org/Citadel/FAQ/Entry/1990/

You know, maybe.

Jaehaerys rather, I think (except in the TV universe where Jaehaerys is skipped). Some think Gurm intends to write out the full life of Dunk and Egg, meaning Summerhall is going to be the last story. If so, it's going to make the publication pacing of the main ASoIaF novels look positively frenetic.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

NihilCredo posted:

Jaehaerys rather, I think (except in the TV universe where Jaehaerys is skipped). Some think Gurm intends to write out the full life of Dunk and Egg, meaning Summerhall is going to be the last story. If so, it's going to make the publication pacing of the main ASoIaF novels look positively frenetic.
He's free to skip around their lives though and not cover everything. He can't do that in the main story.

And I think he only writes a new story when he's asked to participate in an anthology and prominent fantasy anthologies aren't incredibly common.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474
Jan 12, 2006

eat your vegetables dot com

Ross posted:

I'm fine with this one because it seems like it might have been a legitimate turn of phrase from the medieval period, and it gave us that awesome punchline when Jorah marches out of the armory with just such a decorated breastplate.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ross posted:

Yeah I'm not sure why you would cut that, that sounds great.

:argh:editors:argh:

To hit their (for once) hard deadline. That gently caress would have dragged on for AT LEAST another year. And I think "another year" in ADWD years means like 5.

They pulled two major events (he had already written) and he still was working right up to the deadline.

whowhatwhere posted:

You really think it'll take three years? We already went through this song-and-dance twice. I say two years tops.

... you know he's taking a year off from writing. Editor suggests it would have been another year just to get to where GRRM wanted to end ADWD. So that is two years from now just to get to where GRRM's timeline for ADWD should have ended.

And anyone who thinks the bad thread was horrible, should wait about 3 years, when they are really good and frustrated by the lack of new book, and read the first version of that thread. It was ridiculously funny.

In fact, wait until the 5th year, when you find out the book is only half done and GRRM is in the hospital for his infected poo poo dick, and blogging about how the new wildcards book is out soon, and to quit bugging him about ASOIAF.

Yeah, then go read it.

Anyway - what is up with Melisindre being the "best" in her order but 1) Doesn't have pimp spells like Moroq 2) can't read the flames as well as morroq

edit: and thanks to peeps who summarized Dance with Dragons war with me.

kcroy fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 22, 2011

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

kcroy posted:

Anyway - what is up with Melisindre being the "best" in her order but 1) Doesn't have pimp spells like Moroq 2) can't read the flames as well as morroq
Because she's got an inflated opinion of herself. Gonna be funny to see Stannis behead her for loving him up like she did.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Ambiguatron posted:

Just so.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

kcroy posted:

When do we hear that she is the best in her order? Its pretty clear that while she is powerful, shes far from top dog in the Order of Rhllor or whatever.

And 'Just so' is the best.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

cheese posted:

When do we hear that she is the best in her order? Its pretty clear that while she is powerful, shes far from top dog in the Order of Rhllor or whatever.

And 'Just so' is the best.

Mel claimed she was the best flame-reader she knew at one point. Don't think it was ever claimed she was the generally best.

And she may well be better at seeing things in the flames as Moroq, she just messed up interpreting that big one.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

niethan posted:

Jaimeee~~~ has blonde hair and a gold handddd. Daaaarioo and his gold tooth will be fast forgotten. Jaime might have to start braiding his beard.

VVVV How did Jaime gently caress Tyrion over VVVV

gently caress you, ~my Daario~ is awesome and he will be with Dany forever and ever as ~soulmates~!

And kcroy is right, the bad thread kicked rear end. It was hilarious. Recently it tried to come back via PHIZ but it lasted like 4 hours.

Bounded Empire
Apr 26, 2010

kcroy posted:

... you know he's taking a year off from writing. Editor suggests it would have been another year just to get to where GRRM wanted to end ADWD. So that is two years from now just to get to where GRRM's timeline for ADWD should have ended.

And anyone who thinks the bad thread was horrible, should wait about 3 years, when they are really good and frustrated by the lack of new book, and read the first version of that thread. It was ridiculously funny.

You really think it'll take three years? We already went through this song-and-dance twice. I say two years tops.

(whowhatwhere's post meant the bad thread coming back, not a new book coming out)

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

kcroy posted:

I think she's just a bit stupid.

"Urgh, I keep asking for Azhor Ahai, and all I see is you, Jon. What's wrong with this thing?" *Turns fire on and off again*

Darilian
Jun 14, 2007

Junkenstein posted:

I think she's just a bit stupid.

"Urgh, I keep asking for Azhor Ahai, and all I see is you, Jon. What's wrong with this thing?" *Turns fire on and off again*

It's possible that the flames were just leading her to Jon by some greater design through Stannis. Stannis just has his part to play and leads her to the Wall. And perhaps the Wall was obfuscating Jon (ice trumps fire?).

JohnnyDangerously
Aug 3, 2007
Disgruntled

Bounded Empire posted:

(whowhatwhere's post meant the bad thread coming back, not a new book coming out)

grrm couldn't wipe his rear end in 2 years. Considering how complex the books have gotten, his terrible method of 'note-keeping' that relies on fan knowledge of events/people, and his exhaustive schedule of cons/pizza tasting, there's no way this book is out before 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amish Ninja
Jul 2, 2006

It's called survival of the fittest. If you can't slam with the best, jam with the rest.

Quantify! posted:

Gonna be funny to see Stannis behead her for loving him up like she did.

Wait, what?