Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Did you save over that file? Because you can just create 8th day data and re-do it to get the second one. That's what I did for Naoya's.

Yeah, pretty sure. I think I created the NG+ save and the 8th day save, and just saved over the 8th day data, since I didn't realize there'd be any need for anymore playthroughs of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
I think it's only Naoya's 8th day that lets you create 8th day data instead of regular clear data after the 8th day is over, so if you're playing on a single savefile and gently caress up Yuzu's 8th day then you're kind of SOL unless you do an entire NG+.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Thanks Thuryl.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
Amane's 8th day has some pretty hard fights, but nothing I felt was on the level of welp, have 15 angels in your face right after starting the day. The final fight is kind of a bitch if you don't have Prayer/Mediarahan on a demon in every one of your parties, though.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Technique posted:

It is pretty good so far, but the combat system is still terrible. Still, it's awesome to finally be playing The One That Didn't Get Released.

(But in case anyone is wondering, P1 is still my #1 Persona :colbert:)

How can you say that P2's combat is terrible when P1 has the exact same system pretty much? :psyduck:

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Krad posted:

How can you say that P2's combat is terrible when P1 has the exact same system pretty much? :psyduck:

Every post these days is a fakepost.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Krad posted:

If by "exact same" you mean "so much worse than P2 in every way imaginable."

Persona 1 might have the worst JRPG gameplay I've ever experienced.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Krad posted:

Are you kidding? P1 and P2 are like night and day in terms of combat. P2 is just "set up attacks, hit auto, make a sandwich".

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Technique posted:

P2 is just "set up attacks, hit auto, make a sandwich".

P1 is just "chew this poo poo sandwich thoroughly for 40 hours"

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Justice posted:

P1 is just "chew this poo poo sandwich thoroughly for 40 hours"

P1 only takes like 20 hours to complete. :colbert:

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I wasn't sitting there in awe of how innovative and exciting P1 combat is, but at the same time I was never dreading another random encounter. It was pretty firmly in my "I have no problems with this" category.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

TurnipFritter posted:

P1 only takes like 20 hours to complete. :colbert:

Too bad it's not a race! :downs:

chrimbus granger
Jul 5, 2004

by Lowtax
Am I the only one who actually enjoys the gameplay of P1 and 2? Maybe I'm just a masochist. I'm playing through the translated rom of SMT1 at the moment and loving it...and that game is like 100 times more grindy than P1.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Technique posted:

Are you kidding? P1 and P2 are like night and day in terms of combat. P2 is just "set up attacks, hit auto, make a sandwich".

While P2's is "set up group magic thing whatever it's called, hit auto, wait for P5 to get announced". Come on, the game even encourages you to do that by giving you extra stats.

chrimbus granger
Jul 5, 2004

by Lowtax
The PSP remake of P1 eliminates most of the problems of the original in my opinion. You can now run through dungeons at a super fast speed. On top of that, most random battles you can auto battle through, and there is a fast forward button to speed them up. The game is perfectly fine. :colbert:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
I think Atlus did a better job remaking P1. P2 just feels, well, not rushed, but like they didn't do much to it. There's no fast forward for battles, no new j-pop music (which I actually liked in P1, so there), no new cutscenes save for the intro. Oh, yeah, they translated the game, I guess that counts for something.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Krad posted:

I think Atlus did a better job remaking P1. P2 just feels, well, not rushed, but like they didn't do much to it. There's no fast forward for battles, no new j-pop music (which I actually liked in P1, so there), no new cutscenes save for the intro. Oh, yeah, they translated the game, I guess that counts for something.

Actually, P2 DOES have a fast forward! Same button as in P1. (start, i think?) This alleviates some of the horrible tedium, at least.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Oh.... ooooooh. Okay.

I still stand by my opinion. I wanted my P3/4 style music even if it doesn't fit at all. :colbert:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Thanks for the responses on Strange Journey, guys - sounds like it's worth getting through just for the goodies on NG+!

On a completely different note - how long will the Persona 1/2/3P games be available on the PSN? I have a physical copy of P1 (two if you count the Playstation version that I've played precisely once since buying it a year ago) but never play it due to the PSP's abysmal battery life and the fact that both of mine are busted up. I'll probably buy all three the day the Vita drops if they're still available but I don't know if they'll be up forever or if Atlus hates money and pulls things from the online store every so often or what.

I'm....kind of bad at the PSN.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
It's nice to meet someone else who loved the PSP Persona soundtrack. I seriously think it was the best part of the game. :allears:

I understand why people were upset and why they didn't take the same path with P2, of course. Still, those poppish Meguro songs help me relax a lot more when I play the games.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Ryoshi posted:

Thanks for the responses on Strange Journey, guys - sounds like it's worth getting through just for the goodies on NG+!

On a completely different note - how long will the Persona 1/2/3P games be available on the PSN? I have a physical copy of P1 (two if you count the Playstation version that I've played precisely once since buying it a year ago) but never play it due to the PSP's abysmal battery life and the fact that both of mine are busted up. I'll probably buy all three the day the Vita drops if they're still available but I don't know if they'll be up forever or if Atlus hates money and pulls things from the online store every so often or what.

I doubt Atlus would pull any of the Persona games. The only time stuff gets pulled is when a company goes out of business (Irem) or when a company loses the rights to something (Outrun, TMNT: Turtles in Time) so you're fine.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Ryoshi posted:

I haven't heard of any games getting pulled from the PSN like, ever. In any case, if you decide to get them, wait for one of the sales. Atlus has them relatively often.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Ryoshi posted:

As far as I'm aware, games stay up indefinitely on the psn.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Cool, thanks. I'm excited for the Vita mainly for PSP games that are remakes of PSOne games, what does that make me?

(Also, Atlus should port some of their older stuff to the iPhone, because clearly I don't give them enough money yet and I still have some free time every now and again.)

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

A person who enjoys the ability to play PSP games with two analog sticks like a real human being.

I've been buying PSP games as always but only on digital and stuffing them into a folder on my hard drive called "poo poo for vita". Currently at 9 GB!

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Ryoshi posted:

Cool, thanks. I'm excited for the Vita mainly for PSP games that are remakes of PSOne games, what does that make me?

Me, basically.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
I'm hoping that by the time the Vita is released, we'll eventually have Persona 2: Eternal Punishment announced. As a Vita title. I know I'm loving dreaming here, but that would be so neat. I guess I'm just kind of worried too, since IS came out in April(?) in Japan and I still haven't heard anything about a PSP version of Eternal Punishment. :(

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
They're probably too busy with P4P, and so will I be once I buy it. They can take their time with EP. :)

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

How long/playable is the original (well, only) version of P2:EP? I have that in my collection as well and was planning on running through it immediately after beating P2:IS on whatever handheld I end up playing it on, but if it's like 80 hours and completely ancient I'm afraid I might give up halfway through....

I do remember liking it slightly more than I liked P1, but I was pissed at the time that the goddamned instruction manual of all things spoiled the end of the first part for me. I mean, I understand why it was necessary I guess, but it still sucked.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Krad posted:

They're probably too busy with P4P, and so will I be once I buy it. They can take their time with EP. :)

Considering how slipshod the ports of P1 and IS have been, I wouldn't expect them to take their time with it.

Ryoshi posted:

How long/playable is the original (well, only) version of P2:EP? I have that in my collection as well and was planning on running through it immediately after beating P2:IS on whatever handheld I end up playing it on, but if it's like 80 hours and completely ancient I'm afraid I might give up halfway through....

I do remember liking it slightly more than I liked P1, but I was pissed at the time that the goddamned instruction manual of all things spoiled the end of the first part for me. I mean, I understand why it was necessary I guess, but it still sucked.

30-40 hours. Considerably more if you try to do the godawful mapping sidequests.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Sep 23, 2011

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

TurnipFritter posted:

30-40 hours. Considerably more if you try to do the godawful mapping sidequests.
Good stealth edit. I had just hit reply to add a, `...unless you do the map sidequests, in which case double that'.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Care to elaborate on those mapping sidequests? Are they worth doing or just terrible without a proportionate reward?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Ryoshi posted:

Care to elaborate on those mapping sidequests? Are they worth doing or just terrible without a proportionate reward?

You have to step on every tile of nearly every dungeon map in the second half of the game. You can't revisit dungeons, so you have to do all this before you complete them. You get (high-level) Spell Cards for your reward.

It really, really, really isn't worth it.

Edit: Actually, I just checked, the rewards are mid-level Spell Cards. It's even more worthless than I thought!

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 23, 2011

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
It's also the easiest way to get Fool cards without save states.

Of course you don't really need Fool cards ever except maybe once to make a boss fight trivial instead of just easy.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Overclocked question, can I keep the newgame+ thing rolling over multiple playthroughs?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

RentACop posted:

Overclocked question, can I keep the newgame+ thing rolling over multiple playthroughs?

Yes.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Well, they smoothed out the interface a bit for the new version of Innocent Sin, gave it a new text parser, made all the menus new, and (I think) made the sprites a little less pixel-y, but it's not a complete remake like it could have been, nor does the plot seem to progress as naturally as Eternal Punishment did. I guess when they made EP back in the day, they smoothed out most of the wrinkles after they were done with IS.

Still, I am enjoying it so far. The remixed battle themes are actually pretty drat nice to listen to, pulse-pounding, even.

Huh..there seems to be a whole new scenario or two added on, though, called "Theater." I don't know if this was in the original version of Innocent Sin. I may have to eat my words about this being a low-effort re-release.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Sep 23, 2011

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Speedball posted:

Well, they smoothed out the interface a bit for the new version of Innocent Sin, gave it a new text parser, made all the menus new, and (I think) made the sprites a little less pixel-y, but it's not a complete remake like it could have been, nor does the plot seem to progress as naturally as Eternal Punishment did. I guess when they made EP back in the day, they smoothed out most of the wrinkles after they were done with IS.

Still, I am enjoying it so far. The remixed battle themes are actually pretty drat nice to listen to, pulse-pounding, even.

Huh..there seems to be a whole new scenario or two added on, though, called "Theater." I don't know if this was in the original version of Innocent Sin. I may have to eat my words about this being a low-effort re-release.

The Theater is extra content added for the port. Although use it at your own peril, you can essentially break the game by going to the first one the second it becomes available and render the main game trivial from all the levels you get.

HarveyVdarski
Aug 19, 2011

by Pipski
Guys, d you think that Persona 5 will be darker...or lighter?

P4 has better scores, but P3 has better sales.

So...will it be a dark and depressing HD joyfest? Or will it be a bright and zany videogame.

Im asking if you guys think I should cry like a bitch and get over it immediately(P4) or stay awake at night for weeks wishing I had actually died(P3)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Hopefully it won't repeat itself as much as P4. Christ, the characters in that game would say the same things over and over and often I just wanted them to MOVE ON.

Personally I hope they either keep the P4 gameplay or even improve it further, while going back to the gravity of P3's story.

Spiffo fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 23, 2011