Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Not a Twat
Oct 11, 2010

Oops you almost got away without your Diddy
Build a tower out of two snow blocks with a pumpkin at the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drake Lake
Aug 7, 2003

I'm a respected community leader! A shining pillar of moral strength!

Not a Twat posted:

Build a tower out of two snow blocks with a pumpkin at the top.

Wee!

I'm liking the water seep addition, as it allows you to see where there might possibly be water underground.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.
After playing with the Millenaire mod (http://millenaire.org/) installed I have to say the NPCs in 1.9 are a disappointment. I'm getting into trading with my NPCs and the official ones seem a bit... :downs:

Gonna try installing the mod into 1.9 to see what happens.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Aw first time I've ever had trouble with a Minecraft update, prerelease or otherwise. When my prerelease of 1.9 goes to generate a new level, Java just straight out closes. No error or anything :(

LotionMan
Nov 1, 2004
Shut up, or I'll give you a nasty rash !
the snow golems spread snow under their feet on grass tiles

rage2kk2
Aug 21, 2007
:( I had no idea glass panes were in.

Thanks VVV

rage2kk2 fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 22, 2011

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Glass panes were added since 1.8 update

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Biggus Dickus posted:

After playing with the Millenaire mod (http://millenaire.org/) installed I have to say the NPCs in 1.9 are a disappointment. I'm getting into trading with my NPCs and the official ones seem a bit... :downs:

Gonna try installing the mod into 1.9 to see what happens.

I know exactly what you mean.

Millenaire kicks some rear end in that department.

I've liked almost every Minecraft bit of quirk before, but I find these NPC designs really bonkers and not good enough. It just doesn't work to evoke much other than "WTF is that I'd better kill it" :/

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Taffer posted:

People were talking about texture packs earlier, specifically John Smith. It's, in my opinion, far, far better than any other texture pack out there, but like anything it has little problems. So I figure that's a good chance to post the edits I've been doing on it. Mostly I've just mix-matched textures from different versions he's released, but I finally got bothered enough with what he was doing to smoothstone and ores to actually do some real edits. Credit still remains with John Smith of course.
snip
Ok, sorry for the image dump! Last relevant thing, terrain.png:

The .zip is here, includes some other stuff like extra mob skins and custom rain and a smoother font (which you can see in the corner of those pics)

And the puny structures are from here.

Hope whoever downloads it enjoys. :3:
Alright, I know this is from a bunch of pages back but it absolutely bears repeating. Thanks for this, I am pretty much in love with these textures.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
quick testing of cool 1.8 seeds reveal that the "Something Awful" seed is now rather dangerous. largeish island, giant ravine, no trees. at least there's plenty of sheep and an abandoned mine in the ravine.

i need a seed that spawns you close to a village in 1.9!

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

Hypnolobster posted:

Alright, I know this is from a bunch of pages back but it absolutely bears repeating. Thanks for this, I am pretty much in love with these textures.

Yes, these are awesome. Thank you!

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
So the 1.9 pre-release contains snow golems, really bad looking NPCs, Blazes (fire sprites) and their drops Blaze Rods, Magma Cubes, Moosrhooms, netherbrick and netherbrick fences, nether ruins, gold nuggets, ghast tears, nether warts, drip effects for when water/lava is directly above the square overhead, snow biomes are back and swamp biomes have been upgraded with lily pads and darker water?

Nothing to do with the experience system? That is a little lame as I've been running around with so much experience in 1.8 that the bar has disappeared.

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!
I managed to find falling snow, but there was none on the ground.

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems
So, if you used anything but letters, numbers, and underscores in your MC registration, you're required to change it now. Awesome! My friends have hated me for including a period in my name (for sake of /tp), and I'm tired of my real name being visible.

Let's do it!

quote:

Not found

The file public/profile/doCorrectName does not exist

:pwn:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Enzer posted:

So the 1.9 pre-release contains snow golems, really bad looking NPCs, Blazes (fire sprites) and their drops Blaze Rods, Magma Cubes, Moosrhooms, netherbrick and netherbrick fences, nether ruins, gold nuggets, ghast tears, nether warts, drip effects for when water/lava is directly above the square overhead, snow biomes are back and swamp biomes have been upgraded with lily pads and darker water?

Nothing to do with the experience system? That is a little lame as I've been running around with so much experience in 1.8 that the bar has disappeared.

*makes long rear end list of new stuff in a pre-release*
*complains his particular bone wasn't tickled*

drquasius
Dec 25, 2004
The grass that grew where I filled in the edges of the ocean is now gray.

Edit: Actually all vegetation in this area is gray, including the trees. The ocean is gray and everything growing in that area is affected.

drquasius fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 22, 2011

Estel
May 4, 2010

Frobbe posted:

quick testing of cool 1.8 seeds reveal that the "Something Awful" seed is now rather dangerous. largeish island, giant ravine, no trees. at least there's plenty of sheep and an abandoned mine in the ravine.

i need a seed that spawns you close to a village in 1.9!

Estelandia spawns you near a village.

x:112
y:73

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

A Sassy Dog posted:

So, if you used anything but letters, numbers, and underscores in your MC registration, you're required to change it now. Awesome! My friends have hated me for including a period in my name (for sake of /tp), and I'm tired of my real name being visible.

Let's do it!

:pwn:

How/where is this done?

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Did they add any new tools or weapons with the 1.9 prerelease, or are all the new harvestables (not counting the new foods) still moot?

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain
Using axes is a little glitchy. I have to keep re-clicking the mouse button each time I cut another block of tree.

Also, I get experience just by jumping.

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems

Montalvo posted:

How/where is this done?
I don't think you should look forward to changing your name unless it has an illegal character (only letters, numbers, and underscores, as I said) in it. The following is a screenshot of what I get when I log in at https://www.minecraft.net:

Aaand the moneyshot

The best part is, until I change my name - not possible - I can't do anything like download servers, change skin, etc..

edit: lol @ failing to censor my login name properly

moondust fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 22, 2011

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

A Sassy Dog posted:

I don't think you should look forward to changing your name unless it has an illegal character (only letters, numbers, and underscores, as I said) in it. This following is a screenshot of what I get when I log in at https://www.minecraft.net:

Aaand the moneyshot

The best part is, until I change my name - not possible - I can't do anything like download servers, change skin, etc..

You didn't block it out in the top right corner, if you care.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Anyone have an official, or unofficial list of the changes? I'd like to know, specifically, what I'm looking for while I do my pre-serious crazy run throughout my newly generated world.

Other people do that, right? You just... run all over the place?

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

1.9 is out about an hour now. I wonder how many e-mail kaz has gotten about Painterly by now?

The stuff looks pretty nice. I won't update until there is an "official" release though. I stayed away from the pre-release 1.8 and I'll do the same with this "leak."

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe
If you want snow to play with, use the seed "Thrall is a pussy" and you'll spawn on a small peninsula covered with a small snowy biome.

EDIT: However, it appears that snowballs are not dropping from snow on top of grass. Weird.

Republicanus fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 22, 2011

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So can you interact with the NPCs at all? Or are they just reverse endermen, wandering about seemingly at random, putting blocks back where they should go during the day?

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems

Hadlock posted:

So can you interact with the NPCs at all? Or are they just reverse endermen, wandering about seemingly at random, putting blocks back where they should go during the day?

And are they pigs. :colbert:

Edit: VVVVVV dear god who cares if they arent pigs these guys own hard

Someone make a Squidward retex now.

moondust fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 22, 2011

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Also they're muppets. Which kind of owns.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

At first I felt sorry for the spider- it was bombarded nonstop from all directions by snowballs. It could barely move as it was constantly pelted.

But as time went on I realized it was the snowmen who were in a desperate battle for their lives. One they were doomed to lose. The spider would get an opportunistic hit in every so often, and one by one the snowmen slowly fell.

It was a sad battle... the many snowmen in a hopeless battle vs. the one spider.

Then a creeper showed up.

So many snowballs... so many.

As a side note, I will like how renewable the snowman resources are as soon as we actually get some way to acquire pumpkin seeds. As it stands, they're stupidly finite, as pumpkins are fairly rare, and you don't get your pumpkin back when the snowman dies. If we do get pumpkins seeds, however, we'll have a good reason to farm pumpkins. Each one will basically be a free summon-able shield to distract monsters. It would totally be possible to just throw one down in a cave as a distraction too.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Cygni posted:

*makes long rear end list of new stuff in a pre-release*
*complains his particular bone wasn't tickled*

What? No, what was added in 1.9 is good, I like the new mobs and they are pretty interesting. I just wish there was some hint of the level system in this. Not like I was throwing a fit, just would be nice to have a use for exp orbs since I end up with so many of them that when I die it lags the hell out of my game even with the fixes that 1.8.1 introduced and I really want to know what kind of skills they have in mind, that's all. :)

I'm guessing that the gold nugget will be for some kind of interaction with the user, and that the blaze rods and ghast tears may have to do with whatever Notch was talking about a few weeks ago with "upgrading" weapons in place of just adding another material tier.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

PalmTreeFun posted:

Also they're muppets. Which kind of owns.

Bork bork bork!
___/
:notch:

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Eiba posted:

At first I felt sorry for the spider- it was bombarded nonstop from all directions by snowballs. It could barely move as it was constantly pelted.

But as time went on I realized it was the snowmen who were in a desperate battle for their lives. One they were doomed to lose. The spider would get an opportunistic hit in every so often, and one by one the snowmen slowly fell.

It was a sad battle... the many snowmen in a hopeless battle vs. the one spider.

Then a creeper showed up.

So many snowballs... so many.

As a side note, I will like how renewable the snowman resources are as soon as we actually get some way to acquire pumpkin seeds. As it stands, they're stupidly finite, as pumpkins are fairly rare, and you don't get your pumpkin back when the snowman dies. If we do get pumpkins seeds, however, we'll have a good reason to farm pumpkins. Each one will basically be a free summon-able shield to distract monsters. It would totally be possible to just throw one down in a cave as a distraction too.

Pumpkin seeds exist, and are farm able.

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems
Minecraft Wiki says that gold nuggets are craftable into ingots, which I guess is just to make it renewable. And here I thought gold nuggets were going to be an icon for gold ore so that you didn't just carry around blocks of stone with untouched ore in them.

e:

GobyWan posted:

You should really be able to get pumpkin seeds by crafting jack o' lanterns. Also: eating melon slices should produce melon seeds.

:golfclap:

moondust fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 22, 2011

Bicehunter
Jul 8, 2010

Nenonen posted:

Bork bork bork!
___/
:notch:

Yeah very funny you racist.

GobyWan
Jun 5, 2006
tiny plastic novelty palm trees are all I need

Eiba posted:

You should really be able to get pumpkin seeds by crafting jack o' lanterns. Also: eating melon slices should produce melon seeds.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Pumpkin seeds exist, and are farm able.
They exist, but there's no way to get them in game as far as I know. You'd think they'd be dungeon drops like melons seeds, but it seems they aren't.

Complete list of new features according to the wiki (lazily copy-pasted so crap formatting):

# New mobs

* Villager
* Magma Cube
* Snow Golem
* Mooshroom [Note: I'm pretty sure this is bullshit and they're not in yet]
* Blaze

# New blocks

* Netherrack Bricks
* Netherrack Fence
* Lily Pad

# New items

* Blaze Rod
* Ghast Tear
* Nether Wart
* Gold Nugget

# New generated structures

* Nether Ruins

Besides all that there's swamp biome shading... which is pretty hosed up at the moment, and a liquid dripping graphical effect.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Something Awful spawns you on a treeless island with a ravine. There's mine exposed so if you want wood...

Anyone got a seed for a village?

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Wait how do you get gold nuggets?

Farside
Aug 11, 2002
I love my Commodore 64

GobyWan posted:

Put melon slices into a workbench they give you seeds. i think it also works with pumpkins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Senator Woofington posted:

Wait how do you get gold nuggets?

Kill pigmen.