Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

mattdev posted:

Welp, my 2008 Macbook Pro decided to bite the dust and I'm in the market for a new laptop.

I do work remotely quite often, so portability is an issue. This originally made me want to get a Macbook Air, but I'm wondering if it's a bit underpowered for my needs.

Most of my work is basic word processing/web based poo poo, but I also do small amounts of photo editing (in lightroom) and a little bit of design stuff (Illustrator). I do most of this on my desktop, but there are times where I've needed it on a laptop.

Could the Air handle stuff like this? Should I just stick with the Pro?
The only real caveat with the Air for your use would be the 4GB RAM but for "small amounts" of Lightroom and "a little bit" of Illustrator it should handle it no problem (barring Adobe possibly sucking things up).

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Apple completely replaced my semi-liquid damaged (out of warranty) MBP for the $280 flat rate, complete with the installation of the previously undamaged hard drive. What the gently caress?
That would be the magic of the flat rate* although people have varying experiences with it.

*not available on desktops

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

blah_blah posted:

Yeah, I just posted that one because it was clearly the non-sale price. Not sure why he's getting all upset over it. In other words, in practice they end up being half the price of the Studio LX drives, just like I said.

I'm not getting upset at all, just pointing out the ridiculousness of the pricing. That is a really abnormal price that not even Amazon matches (Newegg does now, though) - just a few weeks ago I certainly couldn't get that storage for that price. It's just weird considering how much their internal drives cost. I honestly do not understand why they're so cheap. Amazon hast a list price of $190, while Newegg has a list price of $170; I wonder if they updated the Elements line then are just selling off some of the stock at lower prices - but maybe not, Hitachi matches that price, but the other storage people don't seem to. It's honestly just weird. W/e, clearly I got this one wrong, I guess, but I still don't understand it.

japtor posted:

The only real caveat with the Air for your use would be the 4GB RAM but for "small amounts" of Lightroom and "a little bit" of Illustrator it should handle it no problem (barring Adobe possibly sucking things up).

Yeah, I have a 2GB Air and run into problems in Photoshop, occasionally, but I think a 4GB would be a lot better.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Sep 21, 2011

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

well, I dropped off my computer now and got it back two hours later with a new screen, half-screen flickering gone as far as I can tell, but now it flickers with white lines instead.

New logic board, here I come :v:

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Also, I just got my optibay from some random third party reseller on amazon, and they had included a leaflet advertising skin whitening pills in the jiffy bag :wtf: :confused:

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
My new iMac just arrived minutes ago, and while I was being all giddy and clearing space on my desk, I knocked over my drink onto my old MacBook. I shut it down immediately and at first glance it seems it only got lightly splashed, so I guess it'll be fine. But just to be sure: what's the best way to make sure there's no residual fluid left anywhere?

I hope it'll be allright. I was hoping it'd make its fifth anniversary next year. :ohdear:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Jolan posted:

My new iMac just arrived minutes ago, and while I was being all giddy and clearing space on my desk, I knocked over my drink onto my old MacBook. I shut it down immediately and at first glance it seems it only got lightly splashed, so I guess it'll be fine. But just to be sure: what's the best way to make sure there's no residual fluid left anywhere?

I hope it'll be allright. I was hoping it'd make its fifth anniversary next year. :ohdear:

Can you remove the battery? Also, if you have the right screws, pop off the back cover.

Open it and flip it upside down onto some absorbent surface. Let it sit for a day, blow a fan on it. If it was still working when you powered it off, you will be fine. Just make sure it's dry before you turn it back on.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.

mediaphage posted:

I'm not getting upset at all, just pointing out the ridiculousness of the pricing. That is a really abnormal price that not even Amazon matches (Newegg does now, though) - just a few weeks ago I certainly couldn't get that storage for that price. It's just weird considering how much their internal drives cost. I honestly do not understand why they're so cheap. Amazon hast a list price of $190, while Newegg has a list price of $170; I wonder if they updated the Elements line then are just selling off some of the stock at lower prices - but maybe not, Hitachi matches that price, but the other storage people don't seem to. It's honestly just weird. W/e, clearly I got this one wrong, I guess, but I still don't understand it.

I don't have any of these drives, but is it possible they are using 2 x 1.5t drives in there?

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Jolan posted:

But just to be sure: what's the best way to make sure there's no residual fluid left anywhere?

Full disassembly is not that taxing. A girl I know spilled milk in her santa rosa macbook and gave it to me to "fix". Dry on the outside, wreaked of milk stink and melted plastic on the inside. Unless you're keenly aware of how it spilled, I wouldn't take many chances if you care about it.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

mediaphage posted:

Can you remove the battery? Also, if you have the right screws, pop off the back cover.

Open it and flip it upside down onto some absorbent surface. Let it sit for a day, blow a fan on it. If it was still working when you powered it off, you will be fine. Just make sure it's dry before you turn it back on.

Removed the battery and put it on its back (it spilled near the optical drive, so if there's any liquid in there it's probably in the exhaust vents). I tried to take it apart further (like Kuskus also suggested), but after taking out a small hardware store worth of screw I still had no idea how to actually take the cover off. Let's cross our fingers.

By the way, shouldn't Macs come with software discs, and APCC with a diagnostics disc?

Jolan fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 21, 2011

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Jolan posted:

Removed the battery and put it on its back (it spilled near the optical drive, so if there's any liquid in there it's probably in the exhaust vents). I tried to take it apart further (like Kuskus also suggested), but after taking out a small hardware store worth of screw I still had no idea how to actually take the cover off. Let's cross our fingers.

Check on ifixit.com, they'll have detailed instructions on how to disassemble nearly anything apple has ever made in the last decade.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Putting it on top of rice also helps absorb any liquids.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

Bob_McBob posted:

Well, I went ahead and ordered it, but I am still having some misgivings and might cancel when I wake up.

And I wake up to find it was picked up by UPS in Shanghai 5-1/2 hours after I hit the order button.

:negative:

The one time I actually don't want a company to be efficient.

Auriak
Aug 6, 2007

My backpack's got jets!
I am thinking about buying a used Mid-2009 13" MBP (MacBookPro5,5) for a family member. I was planning on putting the 4GB of DDR3 that came in my 2011 MBP into it. Will the 2009 model be able to recognize it and use it?

As a last minute aside, I am pretty new to the world of Macs; do you guys think $475 is a good price to pay for that old of a machine? Thanks!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Auriak posted:

I am thinking about buying a used Mid-2009 13" MBP (MacBookPro5,5) for a family member. I was planning on putting the 4GB of DDR3 that came in my 2011 MBP into it. Will the 2009 model be able to recognize it and use it?

As a last minute aside, I am pretty new to the world of Macs; do you guys think $475 is a good price to pay for that old of a machine? Thanks!

That's a great price but the RAM probably won't work. In theory PC-10600 should be backwards compatible but for most people they need to get the PC3-8500 or whatever. You could always try, though.

Auriak
Aug 6, 2007

My backpack's got jets!

Bob Morales posted:

That's a great price but the RAM probably won't work. In theory PC-10600 should be backwards compatible but for most people they need to get the PC3-8500 or whatever. You could always try, though.

Okay, thanks a lot for the quick response! I figured worst case scenarion, RAM is pretty cheap these days so if it doesn't work then no worries.

I assume it should have no problem running Lion? (especially if I upgrade the RAM to 4GB or 8GB)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Auriak posted:

Okay, thanks a lot for the quick response! I figured worst case scenarion, RAM is pretty cheap these days so if it doesn't work then no worries.

I assume it should have no problem running Lion? (especially if I upgrade the RAM to 4GB or 8GB)

Granted, I don't use a ton of Apple hardware, but I'd be surprised if the RAM doesn't work -- most times it downclocks just fine. Let's go 0 for 2, haha.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

mediaphage posted:

Granted, I don't use a ton of Apple hardware, but I'd be surprised if the RAM doesn't work -- most times it downclocks just fine. Let's go 0 for 2, haha.

Most indications seem to be that it doesn't; I have 4GB of PC3-10600 from my MBP to sell, and most of the links that I've googled indicate that it's very hit or miss and refuses to downclock (probably because Macs don't have a proper BIOS).

In any event, 4GB of PC3-8500 is under $30 these days.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

blah_blah posted:

Most indications seem to be that it doesn't; I have 4GB of PC3-10600 from my MBP to sell, and most of the links that I've googled indicate that it's very hit or miss and refuses to downclock (probably because Macs don't have a proper BIOS).

In any event, 4GB of PC3-8500 is under $30 these days.

That is super dumb.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

It should downclock without issue. I've cannibalized countless sticks of memory from newer Macs to toss in old ones and never had an issue.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Doesn't seem to be what a large number of people report:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2065191?start=0&tstart=0

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

blah_blah posted:

Doesn't seem to be what a large number of people report:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2065191?start=0&tstart=0
I've had plenty of problems with third-party RAM, yes. That has nothing to do with grabbing Apple-approved memory from one machine and slapping it into another.

edit: 7 people is suddenly a "large number" of Apple customers? What?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I put 1333 in a 13" 2010 MBP, it refused to boot. I swapped to 1066 and it worked fine; one stick of 1333 and one stick of 1066 also booted.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.
Just got my Logitech K750 unpacked and installed. All I have to say is: who wants to buy a gently used Dinova Edge, cheap?
:-)

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I've had plenty of problems with third-party RAM, yes. That has nothing to do with grabbing Apple-approved memory from one machine and slapping it into another.

Apple-approved memory in this case is just generic PC3-10600 made by one of multiple manufacturers, there's nothing special about it.

edit: 7 people is suddenly a "large number" of Apple customers? What?

It's one of many discussion threads on the internet reporting exactly the same problem!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

blah_blah posted:

Apple-approved memory in this case is just generic PC3-10600 made by one of multiple manufacturers, there's nothing special about it.
Working for a vendor who supplies parts for Apple and having pretty intricate knowledge of their qual process compared to other OEMs, I find that hard to believe. Not all RAM is created equal, and I expect Apple uses slightly better modules than what Fry's gives out for free after rebate.

That said, this a pointless derail. He can try the RAM. If it works, super. If not, RAM is cheap. I was just throwing my anecdotal evidence into the ring as "it's worked for me every time." I guess I've gotten lucky with the stock sticks in my Apple machines.

blah_blah posted:

(probably because Macs don't have a proper BIOS)
Also saying that EFI isn't a "proper BIOS" makes no drat sense.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

pipebomb posted:

I don't have any of these drives, but is it possible they are using 2 x 1.5t drives in there?
I was thinking this too but (from a quick search at least) it appeared to be a single 3TB drive. The cheap external vs expensive internal thing doesn't seem too uncommon. Pretty annoying when I want to use my own enclosure and see a bunch of externals for about the same price as a bare drive.

BlackMK4 posted:

I put 1333 in a 13" 2010 MBP, it refused to boot. I swapped to 1066 and it worked fine; one stick of 1333 and one stick of 1066 also booted.
I've read this happening on to people on Mac minis too for whatever reason, one is fine but both isn't. I wouldn't be surprised if it just varies as SWSP says.

Cmdr Will Riker
Mar 27, 2003

pipebomb posted:

Just got my Logitech K750 unpacked and installed. All I have to say is: who wants to buy a gently used Dinova Edge, cheap?
:-)

Is it that good? I was totally excited about the K750 but I read that the quality isn't that great (very plasticky and cheap feeling) and it turned me off.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.
Not at all. It's got good heft, stays in place and the keys feel great. It does gather a bit of lint though and the solar panels are a tiny bit distracting when light from the monitor or something hits them.

SmirkingJack
Nov 27, 2002
Is there any reason why I can't use a Jawbone ICON to listen to music (or any audio) from my 2011 13" MacBook Pro? I'm looking for something that I can use with my cell phone, iPod Touch and laptop and is affordable.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Also saying that EFI isn't a "proper BIOS" makes no drat sense.

Well, EFI isn't a proper BIOS by definition, and the Apple implementation certainly doesn't allow you to manually set RAM speeds and timing like you can through just about every PC BIOS ever.

japtor posted:

I've read this happening on to people on Mac minis too for whatever reason, one is fine but both isn't. I wouldn't be surprised if it just varies as SWSP says.

If either stick works fine when paired with a 1066 stick, it's pretty clear that it's not an issue of bad RAM. If you actually read the threads I mentioned, you would see that many people who have gotten 1333 RAM to work in older Macbook pros have it show up as running at 1333 MHz (i.e., it doesn't downclock). With that in mind it's not hard to see why the computers won't boot in many cases with the faster RAM.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

My PIN is 4826 posted:

Check on ifixit.com, they'll have detailed instructions on how to disassemble nearly anything apple has ever made in the last decade.

I took a chance and just turned it back on, and hooray! That's one meter-high drop and one drink spill survived so far. The only time I actually managed to gently caress something up was when I tried to force-create a Boot Camp partition against MacOS's advice, and even that was only a software issue. These things are durable as gently caress.

By the way, I'm loving the trackpad I got with my iMac. It feels like I'm in Minority Report (in a good way, I mean).

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Working for a vendor who supplies parts for Apple and having pretty intricate knowledge of their qual process compared to other OEMs, I find that hard to believe. Not all RAM is created equal, and I expect Apple uses slightly better modules than what Fry's gives out for free after rebate.

That said, this a pointless derail. He can try the RAM. If it works, super. If not, RAM is cheap. I was just throwing my anecdotal evidence into the ring as "it's worked for me every time." I guess I've gotten lucky with the stock sticks in my Apple machines.

I just wanted to stick my ugly face in this rant and say that the ram from my 2011 MBP worked fine in my 2009 Mini. It even runs at 1333 MHz :shepface:

sbt
Jan 13, 2006

squonk
Tortured By Flan
Can someone recommend a decent usb hub?

I have an iMac and a Belkin 7-port hub. It does the hubbing business well enough, but the drat thing keeps waking up my computer from sleep. Sometimes immediately after putting the machine to sleep and sometimes in the middle of the night. My "solution" for this so far has been unplugging the thing before putting the computer to sleep. :(

I found by googling that others have had these problems with belkin crap as well. I found no proper solutions though, besides "get a better hub".

jubles
Oct 25, 2010
I just picked up a new MBA from the apple store and the battery already has 13 cycles. Is this unusual?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Unless you notice your battery behaving strangely, for the love of god stop obsessing over battery stats.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

sbt posted:

Can someone recommend a decent usb hub?

I have an iMac and a Belkin 7-port hub. It does the hubbing business well enough, but the drat thing keeps waking up my computer from sleep. Sometimes immediately after putting the machine to sleep and sometimes in the middle of the night. My "solution" for this so far has been unplugging the thing before putting the computer to sleep. :(

I found by googling that others have had these problems with belkin crap as well. I found no proper solutions though, besides "get a better hub".

I use a couple of these and have had no such problems: http://www.macally.com/en/product/ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=221

jubles
Oct 25, 2010
My concern is that it was used by someone else (for a significant amount of time) before being returned. I don't want to pay the full price for a new computer if the computer isn't new. 13 cycles is like 2 months of use.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

jubles posted:

My concern is that it was used by someone else (for a significant amount of time) before being returned. I don't want to pay the full price for a new computer if the computer isn't new. 13 cycles is like 2 months of use.

For who? I charge mine every day so that's 2 weeks of use. 13 cycles isn't going to affect things but if they sold you a used computer somehow I'd complain..

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Can anyone recommend a good quality PCI/PCIe sound card that has MacOS drivers? Bonus points if it has HD Audio/AC97 Audio headers on board.

(Yes it's going into a hackintosh before someone inevitably asks why I need one with front panel audio headers)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sbt
Jan 13, 2006

squonk
Tortured By Flan

beefnoodle posted:

I use a couple of these and have had no such problems: http://www.macally.com/en/product/ArticleShow.asp?ArticleID=221

Thanks, I'll have to check those out.