Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

I said come in! posted:

I'm hoping From Software still keeps the Demon's Souls servers online.
It's up to Atlus, isn't it? (Or do you own the Asian version)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Rakanakle posted:

What kind of shady stuff? How can someone purchase a game before street date in a shady fashion? Are drug dealers getting shipments of games now?

Pretty sure most people who get games early often pirate it

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Mustach posted:

It's up to Atlus, isn't it? (Or do you own the Asian version)

Atlus is just the publisher, From Software runs the server.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rakanakle posted:

What kind of shady stuff? How can someone purchase a game before street date in a shady fashion? Are drug dealers getting shipments of games now?

Trying to trick employees into believing the game has the wrong number and should already be out, creating a fake complaint about an employee because they wouldn't break street date.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

I said come in! posted:

Atlus is just the publisher, From Software runs the server.

Atlus runs the US servers.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

I said come in! posted:

I'm hoping From Software still keeps the Demon's Souls servers online. They only have them scheduled for October 2011, but I think they will extend the license another year. If they don't, I hope they release a patch that disables the save file protection.

Oh my goodness, I just got demon's souls a week ago and I'm enjoying it. No :pray:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

40 OZ posted:

Oh my goodness, I just got demon's souls a week ago and I'm enjoying it. No :pray:

They only ever have the license to run the server, for one year, but have always extended it each year. They'll do it again, almost 100% positive.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Yeah, no way they'll turn off the servers right before the sequel comes out. There'll no doubt be newcomers who love Dark Souls that want to go back and try the predecessor.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I know it's just beta but MAN is All 4 One a clusterfuck. I just don't see how that game does well, at the core gameplay level.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
European PS Store has a single-player demo of Resistance 3, if anyone's on the fence about the game.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

drat, Resident Evil 1 (Director's Cut) is shockingly good. I completely missed PSX the first time around. Thank the PSN+ account for the freebie. (Voice acting is hilarious, but it's not a terrible game by any means.)

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I have to recommend the PSN Bloodrayne game. People wanted it to be like Metroid, but instead it plays more like an old-school Castlevania but with better controls. The fighting has a surprising amount of depth (you have to experiment), the game does a good job of keeping the gameplay from getting stale, and it really gives me this great "just-one-more-stage" feeling. Also, infecting an enemy by biting them and then pressing a button to make them loving EXPLODE in a rain of blood and body parts, and also making any nearby enemy explode in a chain reaction of death, is hilarious.

EDIT: PSN has received some great games lately: Bloodrayne, Renegade Ops, SF3...

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Sep 22, 2011

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Seconding the praise for Bloodrayne. It also has a seriously great Castlevania: SOTN-ish soundtrack, which you can get for free (or whatever you want to donate) here. Even includes NES versions of all the tracks, which are unlockable in-game via a cheat code.

Wayforward are one of the best old-school studios out there. Really looking forward to their Aliens DS game at the end of the month, which WILL be Metroid-style.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Dominic White posted:

Seconding the praise for Bloodrayne. It also has a seriously great Castlevania: SOTN-ish soundtrack, which you can get for free (or whatever you want to donate) here. Even includes NES versions of all the tracks, which are unlockable in-game via a cheat code.

Wayforward are one of the best old-school studios out there. Really looking forward to their Aliens DS game at the end of the month, which WILL be Metroid-style.

Bought and downloading it right now :D

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

On a bizarre note, the IGN review for the game (while glowingly positive on all other fronts) marked it down for the soundtrack. Apparently goth-metal just doesn't fit a Castlevania-esque game, according to that guy.

Man, gently caress that guy.

Rakanakle
Mar 17, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Pretty sure most people who get games early often pirate it

I was talking about people buying before street date. I just don't understand the idea that someone is being shady by buying a game early.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Dominic White posted:

On a bizarre note, the IGN review for the game (while glowingly positive on all other fronts) marked it down for the soundtrack. Apparently goth-metal just doesn't fit a Castlevania-esque game, according to that guy.

Man, gently caress that guy.

That's better than marking the game down for not being a Metroidvania when they never claimed it to be one. It would be more understandable to me if he ragged on the last three levels, because holy crap does the game get hard, no holds barred. Especially the last level is hilariously dickish - limited visibility, a hard platforming segment followed by a tough encounter AND another platforming segment with no checkpoint in between, AND you have to do this while walking LEFT instead of right like usual. It was like playing Super Meat Boy at times (and it felt as good when I finally beat it). The last boss was no push-over either, and the end I felt like a goddamn master at Bloodrayne.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 22, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Dominic White posted:

Hey virt does the soundtrack! Pretty cool, that guy just used to do VG remixes and now he gets hired for occasional videogame work.

Rakanakle posted:

I was talking about people buying before street date. I just don't understand the idea that someone is being shady by buying a game early.
Oh yeah that's totally the store's fault. I've walked into stores a week before street date, they have a game and sell it to me and I walk out. Nothing shady from my end, they just wanted a sale.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 22, 2011

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Hey virt does the soundtrack! Pretty cool, that guy just used to do VG remixes and now he gets hired for occasional videogame work.

He's the full-time music guy at Wayforward now.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Dominic White posted:

He's the full-time music guy at Wayforward now.

That's awesome.

The Bloodrayne demo was better than I expected! Great soundtrack and pretty fun combat. Gonna buy it.

Is Saints Row 2 a good buy at $20 [it's $20 on PSN right? or $30? Can't recall]? Always been really curious about it, and before anyone recommends it, I don't have a PC that can run it so I can't buy it on PC instead. :(

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Code Jockey posted:

Is Saints Row 2 a good buy at $20 [it's $20 on PSN right? or $30? Can't recall]? Always been really curious about it, and before anyone recommends it, I don't have a PC that can run it so I can't buy it on PC instead. :(

I just finished playing it for the first time, and I had a good time with it. Within about a half hour or so of starting up, my cockney-voiced gangster clad only in a mankini and trucker cap was going over sweet jumps on a motorcycle, trying to impress a gangster chick into joining my gang -- all while Final Countdown was blaring on the radio. If that sounds like fun to you, SR2 is what you need. The game obliterates the usual tendency of games these days to take themselves too seriously. The story is crazy heaped on crazy, and most everyone was well voice-acted.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Code Jockey posted:

That's awesome.

The Bloodrayne demo was better than I expected! Great soundtrack and pretty fun combat. Gonna buy it.

If you liked GTA4, but felt it could be a bit less about being realistic and a bit more about being fun, then you'll probably like it.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Code Jockey posted:

I bought a disc copy for $20 a couple days before the PSN release was announced. So far I'm roughly half way thru it and all I can say is gently caress YES it's worth every drat penny. It's like the true sequel to Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, not quite as polished as GTA4 but with a double scoop of everything that made SA fun to play.

Zero Punctuation did a pretty decent job of covering why SR2 is so awesome.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/312-Saints-Row-2

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon
For those of you who were wondering, Atlus has extended the Demon's Souls servers to 2012.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
I work at a local Wal-Mart in electronics and we get games sometimes a week or two before the release date. Last week I opened an envelope with only two copies of the ICO/SOTC PS3 remake inside and it made me wince because I want to play those game so loving bad but I can't buy it until the 27th. And we only got two copies! :suicide:

Edit:^^^^So after 2012 Demon's Souls will be unplayable?

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 22, 2011

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

spasticColon posted:

Edit:^^^^So after 2012 Demon's Souls will be unplayable?

No invasions, blue phantoms, blood stains, messages or ghosts. And it was supposed to happen this year, next month actually. I think this is the second time the server lifespan has been extended.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Atlus has stated in the past that they'll keep renewing the end date for the servers as long as there's still a sizable amount of people playing. Whether that number will drop significantly when Dark Souls hits is anyone's guess.

Edit: And it is Atlus running the NA servers(and I think the EU ones as well). Whoever kept insisting that From Software runs the servers is tragically misinformed.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

...! posted:

Edit: And it is Atlus running the NA servers(and I think the EU ones as well). Whoever kept insisting that From Software runs the servers is tragically misinformed.

Namco Bandai handled the PAL release so I think they run the EU servers.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

evilalien posted:

Namco Bandai handled the PAL release so I think they run the EU servers.

Either way, it's certainly not From running it.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Why does Santa Monica intentionally put things in their games that they know people are going to cheat to get? Like i'm actually going to grind for half a million red orbs in Ghost of Sparta to get all the unlockables.

Thank God for turbo controllers and tape. :kratos:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

AngryBooch posted:

No invasions, blue phantoms, blood stains, messages or ghosts. And it was supposed to happen this year, next month actually. I think this is the second time the server lifespan has been extended.

It's actually happened quite a few times. It released here in Fall 2009 (I'm pretty sure), and they guaranteed 6 months of server support, and then about a month before that day, they would usually extend it for another 6 months or so.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Chrono Cross and Final Fantasy Origins have just been rated by the ESRB for a NA PSN release. Personally, I hate Chrono Cross but I'm sure this news will get someone excited.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Renoistic posted:

I have to recommend the PSN Bloodrayne game. People wanted it to be like Metroid, but instead it plays more like an old-school Castlevania but with better controls. The fighting has a surprising amount of depth (you have to experiment), the game does a good job of keeping the gameplay from getting stale, and it really gives me this great "just-one-more-stage" feeling. Also, infecting an enemy by biting them and then pressing a button to make them loving EXPLODE in a rain of blood and body parts, and also making any nearby enemy explode in a chain reaction of death, is hilarious.

EDIT: PSN has received some great games lately: Bloodrayne, Renegade Ops, SF3...
Thirding, fourthing the game.

I love it, but all of a sudden it hits a brick wall of a difficulty curve when you meet the crab basher mk. 2.

I feel like it was originally intended to be a Castlevania remake, considing WayForward made Contra 4. Konami probably rejected it because they're doing all kinds of weird hosed up things to Castlevania on their own, so the devs shopped around their concept until they found something somewhat related.

edit:

Also highly recommend Hard Corps which is a modern old Contra game. Not made by WayForward but loving solid.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

...! posted:

Chrono Cross and Final Fantasy Origins have just been rated by the ESRB for a NA PSN release. Personally, I hate Chrono Cross but I'm sure this news will get someone excited.

It's me. This gets me excited. I loving love Chrono Cross.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

...! posted:

I'll replay Chrono Cross, mostly for the nostalgia value. I originally played it at the same time as my roommate and we ended up with completely different parties, I remember being blown away that he had the pirate guy when I completely missed having him join.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Final Fantasy Origins? You mean they're not going to shove out FF1 and 2 as separate games like Japan did? Nice!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Crowbear posted:

I don't know how this makes me feel about you. :negative:

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

I said come in! posted:

I don't know how this makes me feel about you. :negative:

Chrono Cross was a really good game and I won't hear anything negative about it :colbert:

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.

Crowbear posted:

Me too. I love the gently caress out of that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Chrono Cross is a good game. I like it and Trigger more or less equally.

• Locked thread