Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Hammer Floyd posted:

Listened to Amon Amarth today and it finally clicked.

Goddrat this poo poo is epic. I've only got Surtur Rising, what else should I look at?
I'm late to this party but Once Sent is their only really great album (mostly courtesy of one Mr. Martin Lopez on drums)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 22, 2016

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I spent way too long trying to find that logo and came back with nothing. That "underline upside-down cross underline" dealie looks really familiar.

West
Jul 8, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I posted some complete set videos for rear end in a top hat Parade, Despise You, Shitstorm and Magrudergrind at their most recent show with Floor in Gainesville, FL.

Bolek
May 1, 2003

On the new Mastodon, so far the Scott Kelly track and The Creature lives are the standouts for me. Definitely need more listens to develop a real opinion of it. One thing I noticed right away is how up front the drums were. I wish they were that prevalent in the mix in Remission and Leviathan. That would have been fantastic.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

New Myrath leaked and it sounds amazing :toot:.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Durendal posted:

New Myrath leaked and it sounds amazing :toot:.

Two tracks in and I already feel hooked. It's odd, I feel I shouldn't really be since it seems fairly by-the-book prog, yet they've got some sort of groove underneath that pulls me in quite well.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
New Absu and Skeletonwitch on back to back days :getin:

BSchlang
Mar 27, 2009
Be honest, who else discovered Skeletonwitch by playing Brütal Legend?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

nerve posted:

I got excited cause I thought there was new Absu to listen to right now :(

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

QPZIL posted:

I got excited cause I thought there was new Absu to listen to right now :(

Abzu leaked yesterday, unless I'm misunderstanding you

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

BSchlang posted:

I was aware of their existence before I played it, but yeah, pretty much that was where I first heard them.

nudejedi
Mar 5, 2002

Shanghai Tippytap
Awesome. Too bad stuff like this doesn't come through MN very often.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Skeletonwitch going back on tour with Unearth and one other, forget who. Coming back to Winnipeg in December, check their site! :D Didn't feel like paying $45 for just them when they played with Devildriver and Arch Enemy.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Vintersorg posted:

Skeletonwitch going back on tour with Unearth and one other, forget who. Coming back to Winnipeg in December, check their site! :D Didn't feel like paying $45 for just them when they played with Devildriver and Arch Enemy.

Those guys are touring MACHINES.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Music vid for Curl of the Burl. Naturally, it owns.

Possibly :nws: at the end.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAihDAJX8Ow&feature=player_embedded

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

BSchlang posted:

I discovered Skeletonwitch by drinking beers with them at a Cannibal Corpse show. Cool guys!

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
So anyone listen to the new Anthrax yet? I'm not entirely sure I want to put myself through it.

hopper2k
Jan 22, 2007

BSchlang posted:

I discovered them when they opened for Valient Thorr and Golden Axe at a small bar in Houston. I thought they were pretty awesome live.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

attackmole posted:

So anyone listen to the new Anthrax yet? I'm not entirely sure I want to put myself through it.

I don't like Anthrax, so I didn't like it. I find them really...tacky. That's the only way I can consider it.

However, people who are fans have called it a "return to form" so I guess, take that as you will.

Nirvana7x
Feb 2, 2004

nerve posted:

How does the new Absu album sound? My buddy landed their new guitarist gig so pretty excited to hear the new stuff with his guitar input/work. Unfortunately I can't grab anything leaked right now =(

edit: and I think the other guy was confused that Abzu wasn't referring to some other band, but rather the new album from Absu. Case closed!

edit2: Found a track on youtube and it seems cool. Saw two tracks, but the other song was lovely quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBj1ZE7tokE

Nirvana7x fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Sep 23, 2011

Sir Xiphos
Dec 11, 2008
Finally listened to the Mastydon. Pretty good on the first listen, definietly a grower though. It's unlike anything they've done before but it's still good.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Nirvana7x posted:

edit: and I think the other guy was confused that Abzu wasn't referring to some other band, but rather the new album from Absu. Case closed!

If you're talking about me, I was confused because I had seen nothing posted anywhere about sample tracks from the album or anything, so I was searching for some released sample tracks or something. I've heard the album now and it's pretty awesome. Not as catchy as Absu, but a little more aggressive. Very good stuff.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Nirvana7x posted:

How does the new Absu album sound?

it loving owns

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

thepitgoddess posted:

I don't like Anthrax, so I didn't like it. I find them really...tacky. That's the only way I can consider it.

However, people who are fans have called it a "return to form" so I guess, take that as you will.

Prancing around in videos with indian headdresses on and scott ian being all zany?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I don't think I "get" Anthrax, people praise them as some thrash gods but the poo poo I hear is so weak. Especially on vocals, it just takes me right out of everything. They loving suck. I prefer stuff more along the lines of Sodom, Overkill, Razor, etc.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Vintersorg posted:

I don't think I "get" Anthrax, people praise them as some thrash gods but the poo poo I hear is so weak. Especially on vocals, it just takes me right out of everything. They loving suck. I prefer stuff more along the lines of Sodom, Overkill, Razor, etc.

It's fun to listen once every six months but all I can think about is Belladona's hair.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Vintersorg posted:

Its more on the punk end of thrash I think. I prefer thrash like Overkill much more myself as well.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Vintersorg posted:

Fistful of Metal is the only thing to listen to, really, but it goes without saying that S.O.D. left behind a much better legacy than Anthrax did.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17
On the subject of Skeletonwitch, is it worth paying for a ticket to see the Black Dahlia Murder just because Skeletonwitch are supporting? I'm kinda torn.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

On the subject of Skeletonwitch, is it worth paying for a ticket to see the Black Dahlia Murder just because Skeletonwitch are supporting? I'm kinda torn.

I caught BDM a couple years ago at the Mayhem fest, and they were pretty good - energy wise and technically. I'd do it.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

BDM would be better live if they had better fans. They're actually a really fun and energetic band to watch. One of BDM's fans cracked one of my ribs! Hooray! If you don't like hardcore dancers, stay away from the pit most of the night. Then again, I saw them like 4 years ago, so I don't know if people still hardcore dance to them.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Skeletonwitch are pretty awesome live, and if you get a chance to talk to any of the guys in the band, they're pretty awesome dudes. I'd do it if the tickets are cheap.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Nirvana7x posted:

How does the new Absu album sound? My buddy landed their new guitarist gig so pretty excited to hear the new stuff with his guitar input/work. Unfortunately I can't grab anything leaked right now =(

edit2: Found a track on youtube and it seems cool. Saw two tracks, but the other song was lovely quality.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBj1ZE7tokE

Pretty awesome, but I can hear the drums a lot less. :(

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

thepitgoddess posted:

BDM would be better live if they had better fans. They're actually a really fun and energetic band to watch. One of BDM's fans cracked one of my ribs! Hooray! If you don't like hardcore dancers, stay away from the pit most of the night. Then again, I saw them like 4 years ago, so I don't know if people still hardcore dance to them.

Agreed, the BDM fanbase is poo poo. I personally like their music, so I would go see them.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
New AaL track streaming

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYbu9YRzD3Y&hd=1

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Misogynist posted:

Fistful of Metal is the only thing to listen to, really, but it goes without saying that S.O.D. left behind a much better legacy than Anthrax did.

Anthrax is pretty hit or miss, but every now and then, they'd just hit the best mosh riffs that I usually thought were more catchy than SOD. Among the Living and I am the Law are A+ mosh songs.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17
Thanks for the BDM advice, all. I don't think they're my type of band, based on a quick YouTubing, but if they're as good live as you say they are it won't be too horrible, at least.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

I like the new Anthrax, its not as thrashy like the old stuff, but more around State of Euphoria/Persistence of Time-ish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

New Medadeth song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2Mb2vMTIjg&feature=player_embedded

It's not that *good* but it's not bad, and it's better than Anthrax.