Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Sometimes I still like to listen to the soundtrack :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
I, too, have dumb nostalgic-tinted fondness for this stupid, beautiful game with the amazing OST.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Nostalgic fondness wouldn't have caused me to play Chrono Cross for longer in one sitting than any game I have ever played, probably about 18 hours straight. And it's not like I was a little kid at the time, I think it was my sophomore year of college. That game totally ruled me.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Count me as one of those that liked it too. Though I only half played it as my 2nd disc was hosed I got like 5 minutes of play before it would crash my ps1.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
In other news, Enslaved won't get a sequel due to low sales. Ninja Theory co-founder Tameem Antoniades says they had plans to expand Ninja Theory into two teams but that because of the sales this didn't happen and they have to focus on the DMC reboot.

I honestly fail to see why Enslaved should have gotten a sequel - the story is told and better left as is, same as Heavenly Sword. This is still a bummer, though, I loved Heavenly Sword and Enslaved wasn't exactly bad, just unfinished. I hope DmC does well so NT can continue making gorgeous games with amazing animation and story telling and, hopefully, more polished and involving gameplay.

EDIT: The takedown animation pictured in the article might be the most hilarious, over-the-top, plain bad-rear end thing I've seen in a game. It has to be seen in motion to be believed.

EDIT2: Now I'm kind of regretting trading the game in after beating it the first time.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Sep 23, 2011

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Much as I have disdain for Ninja Theory, (more so of Capcom going with them for dmc) it does suck that their sales weren't' that great for Enslaved. But this is one of the reasons why I still question Capcom's move to go with them. With the high expectations of wanting DMC to sell 5 mil or higher makes it very hard for Ninja Theory. I rather they not be berated not being able to sell that high, when they do have a track record of not selling very well or meeting low expectations.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Shindragon posted:

Much as I have disdain for Ninja Theory, (more so of Capcom going with them for dmc) it does suck that their sales weren't' that great for Enslaved. But this is one of the reasons why I still question Capcom's move to go with them. With the high expectations of wanting DMC to sell 5 mil or higher makes it very hard for Ninja Theory. I rather they not be berated not being able to sell that high, when they do have a track record of not selling very well or meeting low expectations.

The biggest problem is rather that fighting mechanics isn't really Ninja Theory's strongest aspect, it's the storytelling, environments, and animations that are their selling points. I like NT, but they really need to step up their game if they want to reboot the DMC franchise.

EDIT:

BTW, Might & Magic is discounted at PSN now, are the changes worth the price or should I just stick to the portable DS version?

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Sep 23, 2011

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
About Chrono Cross, I remember it being unplayable past a certain point on the PS3, usually locking up on the Isle of the Damned. I don't know if that's only if you're playing it off the discs like I was, or if it's only for certain models of PS3 (mine is one of the original 60 gigs). Did they update the emulator or will the PSN version correct this error? Basically I wouldn't want to pay for a game I already own only to find it won't work on my model regardless. Really wanna play that game again. :(

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Chrono Cross had good music but I actually got kinda bored with the game proper

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Dark ID has a phenomenal LP thread about Chrono Cross thats archived somewhere. Highly reccomened if you want to be entertained and actually understand what the hell happenend in this game. And yes, the soundtrack is one of the best from the PS1 RPG era, if not the best. You can buy the import CD on Amazon for about $50.
http://www.amazon.com/Chrono-Original-Soundtrack-Yasunori-Mitsuda/dp/B0009J8HB6/

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Sep 23, 2011

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Samurai Sanders posted:

Chrono Cross is a good game. I like it and Trigger more or less equally.
Chrono Cross was a good game but let's not say things we can't take back

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Never played any of these big PS1 JRPGs and based on the LPs of them I've read I feel pretty good about that. Without nostalgia they all seem really terrible.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Some of them are good but a lot of them have aged really badly. The PS1 was the weird era where RPGs were more complex and lengthy then their SNES counterparts but before they became faster and more streamlined like PS2 RPGs. The end result is that they're often rather slow, plodding and awkward.

The PS1 was really the era of RPGs that could do with remakes. Of course, most of the PS1-era remakes they've made suck for other reasons...

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Renoistic posted:

BTW, Might & Magic is discounted at PSN now, are the changes worth the price or should I just stick to the portable DS version?

I think it's overall worth it. The new graphics are really pretty and the rebalances really do improve the game overall. If you think you'd have fun going through the campaign again, I'd say go for it.

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.

Pablo Gigante posted:

What's wrong with what he's saying? I actually feel the same way.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Rueish posted:

What's wrong with what he's saying? I actually feel the same way.
Likewise. I really enjoyed them both, and Chrono Cross definitely gets my nod for best soundtrack of the two.

Chrono Cross was a slightly more grown up Chrono Trigger. A bit less saccharine, a bit darker. Less enthralling combat, but I enjoyed the story more, and a ton of side-plots to explore (but some of them for insufferable characters), so eh, it's a wash.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I like Cross more than Trigger, and I haven't even finished Cross. There, I said it. :colbert:

This has more to do with me not liking Trigger than liking Cross though.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Pablo Gigante posted:

I've played neither game, but "I like them equally" does not mean "They are both objectively equally good".

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

SpacePig posted:

I've played neither game, but "I like them equally" does not mean "They are both objectively equally good".
Chrono Trigger is the best game of all time so "I like them equally" is an impossibility

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I liked Chrono Cross until I finished it and realized it was just a poorly-told sidequest for Chrono Trigger. Then I hated it.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

TaurusOxford posted:

Why does Santa Monica intentionally put things in their games that they know people are going to cheat to get? Like i'm actually going to grind for half a million red orbs in Ghost of Sparta to get all the unlockables.

Thank God for turbo controllers and tape. :kratos:

Wasn't there an item that multiplied the orbs you get? I unlocked everything after my second playthrough on the PSP.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Armor-Piercing posted:

This has more to do with me not liking Trigger than liking Cross though.

I'm curious, and I don't mean this like a WTF WHATS WRONG WITH YOU spergy rant, just as making conversation - what don't you like about it?

For me, it's one of the absolute best JRPGs I've ever played, but I'm curious what you didn't like about it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The only part of Chrono Trigger I didn't like, was the post-apocalypse future. A few of the sections in that, were terrible.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

I said come in! posted:

The only part of Chrono Trigger I didn't like, was the post-apocalypse future. A few of the sections in that, were terrible.

Wow, really? That had to have been one of my favorite parts, because of how dark it got at points, and I just kind of liked the environment. Was it plot or gameplay elements you didn't like?

e. I'm curious because for all I know there was some really lovely part of it, but it's been years since I played through CT and I can't really remember it all

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Code Jockey posted:

Wow, really? That had to have been one of my favorite parts, because of how dark it got at points, and I just kind of liked the environment. Was it plot or gameplay elements you didn't like?

Gameplay, the factory parts were really annoying, and the junkyard with the ghosts. Plus that stupid rat you had to chase. The racing part was really cool though.

I agree with you on the storyline parts. Some of the best storyline segments were done in the post-apoc section. The revelation the characters come to when they realize what happened, was really well done, plus the introduction of Robo was awesome.

My favorite sections were the Stone Age, the age with the huge floating islands, and the one where Frog and Magus come from.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

The post-Apocalypse overworld "music" might be the only part of CT that I dislike.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

I said come in! posted:

Gameplay, the factory parts were really annoying, and the junkyard with the ghosts. Plus that stupid rat you had to chase. The racing part was really cool though.

Ohhhh, right. Yeah, the rat was annoying for sure, and I forgot about the ghosts.

quote:

I agree with you on the storyline parts. Some of the best storyline segments were done in the post-apoc section. The revelation the characters come to when they realize what happened, was really well done, plus the introduction of Robo was awesome.

Yeah, I'm still kind of surprised that an SNES-era RPG got that dark. Pretty sure young me was pretty floored by those revelations when I first played it.

quote:

My favorite sections were the Stone Age, the age with the huge floating islands, and the one where Frog and Magus come from.

Yeah, good stuff. The floating islands had some of my favorite music for sure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJtwEpQe6w0

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I love Spekkio :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9XlURMQ3Fc

Also Nu

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 23, 2011

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Gato's the best http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7bV7hxXiPs

They call me Gato
I have metal joints
Beat me up
And earn 15 silver points!

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

I'd still have to go with the Zeal theme / Corridors of Time for best in Chrono Trigger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xsj5xjoLXtE

... but, yeah, Chrono Cross. Zeal was great, but CC had many that still topped it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=923fVDDwaHo

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
I still maintain that Chrono Cross has the best soundtrack ever. Nier's is the only one that's come close to matching it for me.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

For like the two other people I know at some point said they used this for it: Dedicated Poker with persistent banking returning to PlayStation Home in the Fall (also some FPS stuff)

I was kinda sad when EA pulled the Poker arena, it was like the best Poker thing on PS3 and it was free.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
That FPS thing looks interesting just because like many of you I am sure, I had fantasies about playing a FPS in environments that are normally peaceful and mundane, like the school or at work or whatever. I mean gameplay-wise I am expecting it to be a pile of poo poo but at least it is tapping into the childish glee center of my brain in that way.

Also just in general that new version of Home looks like...the only thing Home should have ever been, right from its launch.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Samurai Sanders posted:

Also just in general that new version of Home looks like...the only thing Home should have ever been, right from its launch.
It still doesn't seem worth starting up.

In all seriousness, if they actually want to make the Home stuff matter, I'd want to see turning on the PS3 become logging into a Home appartment. There's my avatar, and I have an overlaid XMB (and the avatar wanders over to the TV in sync with highlighting the game option, or checks the trophy cabinet when you go to the trophy section, etc). I'm just hitting buttons on the XMB, but the avatar thing is miming what I'm doing as I do it, and yay, it might at least make me chuckle if they're wearing a silly hat.

Add to all of that one last button, the "I just want to wander around" button, that drops me into Avatar mode and I can just explore. Now, hey, ok. I might actually hit that button if I was bored, occasionally. It isn't such a stretch if I'm already in the world, and it feels less like I'm intentionally loading a crappy half-game specifically to wander around doing nothing in it.

The only reason I give a poo poo (the tiniest poo poo) about the 360 avatar is because it's right there when I start up. So it's at least good for a short chuckle as I scroll by, if I've dressed it in stupid clothing.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 23, 2011

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

And here's something that actually matters: Castlevania: Harmony of Despair comes out next week

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Couch co-op for that sounds awesome. Every review I'd read about it for the 360 said that it got pretty boring, but being able to play alongside a bud would be great.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Policenaut posted:

And here's something that actually matters: Castlevania: Harmony of Despair comes out next week

The million dollar (literally) question: Does the PS3 version have all the DLC built-in? Because that poo poo costs about five times the cost of the base game.

Edit: I'd totally be up for a game-share of the game + all DLC, though!

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Hey, Binary Domain looks pretty cool, third person shooter-clone and all. I'm a sucker for AI/Snatcher ish settings. :shobon:

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Krad posted:

Hey, Binary Domain looks pretty cool, third person shooter-clone and all. I'm a sucker for AI/Snatcher ish settings. :shobon:
I was feeling it, right up until... they crouched behind a chest-high wall, in a corridor full of what appeared to be chest high walls. :bang:

Does the world really need another cover-based straight up shooter right now? This looks like Vanquish with a better plot but less interesting gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

It's really funny watching the Japanese muddle through their own "obsessed over cover shooters" phase.

• Locked thread