Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

My PIN is 4826 posted:

Can I manually turn a off second internal hard drive in my optibay slot? Apparently the sudden motion sensor only works if the drive is in the main slot where I want to put my SSD, but I still want an option to protect the platter drive when I pick it up.
You might be able to unmount it which may spin it down...the problem is if it's in use by anything you won't be able to unmount it in the first place.

KingEup posted:

So I opened 6 and now I can't even see all the windows:

Are the windows all the same size? If so I think that's a bug that's been around for a while, I remember something similarly funky happening with 10.6's Exposé too sometimes when I had same sized windows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ogreboy
Apr 1, 2003
To be honest I, too, regret shelling out $10 for Sparrow.

I do like its Gmail integration far better than Mail.app's, but I HATE how it (un)handles the Priority Inbox feature of Gmail.

With the web app, you can have up to four different 'sections' in your inbox. The sections are completely customizable. One section could be 'important and unread', another could be 'starred', another one 'important and read' and 'everything else' is at the bottom. This way I can take one quick glance at my inbox and can remember what action items are on my plate and what their priorities are.

With Sparrow, there's just one big flat listing that cannot be grouped by label/status. And it seems like they will never intentionally add this capability. When my inbox gets out of control, Sparrow just makes dealing with important stuff harder because I cant easily locate what's going on. (And its too-minimal handling of labels doesn't help (great, a coloured triangle... but what if I have 15 labels? I'm supposed to differentiate turquoise from aquamarine?))

So at that point I find myself just opening up the web app or launching Mailplane. Once Mailplane can find some way to support the new offline Gmail caching solution, I am done with Sparrow and pouring a 40oz on my :10bux:

drat you, Google. You ruined every other freaking mail client for me, forever. :argh:

Edit: P.S. I know Sparrow it shows the 'important' tags on mail but it's not as useful as with the web app.

ogreboy fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 23, 2011

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm kind of looking forward to the rollout of Apple's iCloud for mail. I've been a die hard gmail user since day one so I don't see myself switching addresses, but I'm hoping Apple gives me a reason to consider it.

e: err redacted some NDA stuff sorry

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

japtor posted:

Are the windows all the same size? If so I think that's a bug that's been around for a while, I remember something similarly funky happening with 10.6's Exposé too sometimes when I had same sized windows.

Yeah, the windows are the same size. That seems to be the problem.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

ogreboy posted:

To be honest I, too, regret shelling out $10 for Sparrow.

Same. My issue is that Sparrow, at least in my experience, introduces a new bug or two with each update. One version was filling my conversations with "deleted" messages. Another was using a crazy amount of CPU. Sure, mail.app might have some weird label implementations, but it's been much more solid for me.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Talking about regretted buys, "Reeder" is mine. I frickin love the iOS versions, but the OSX one, while being really slick, is buggy and prone to sucking up huge amounts of resources.

Seems like it's still kind of half baked. Perhaps when it gets another rev or two I'll use it more but now I find I just use google reader in chrome most of the time.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Martytoof posted:

I'm kind of looking forward to the rollout of Apple's iCloud for mail. I've been a die hard gmail user since day one so I don't see myself switching addresses, but I'm hoping Apple gives me a reason to consider it.

e: err redacted some NDA stuff sorry

I'm not sure if this counts as NDA (I don't think it does? but if it is, I'll delete it), but do @me.com emails created from the iOS5 beta live through the official launch, or are they wiped? As of right now it's not even a "real" email in the sense that while it works, it's only accessible through iOS.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can't tell you (because I don't know), but I've been avoiding using mine just in case they are. I know several developers have migrated their mobileme accounts to iCloud so for their sake I would hope they don't wipe everything, or at least do a selective wipe.

edit:

God drat it, there is SOMETHING running on my machine that is making a weird echo-sonar type sound every now and then. I have no idea what it could be and it's driving me crazy. There's no visible notification or anything. I would selectively close apps but it happens so sporadically that I will be testing this for the next four days before I figure it out, if at all.

e2: Oh it was loving Steam's "friend online" sound.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 24, 2011

SonnyTheGreat
Jan 19, 2007
I'm going to do an opti-bay upgrade in the near future and I'm planning on moving my SSD to the opti-bay and putting my original platter drive back in the normal drive bay. Currently I just have an SSD in the primary drive bay and my DVD-ROM where the opti-bay's going to go. I mainly want to do this to take advantage of the drop sensors in the primary bay.

Is there any reason this is a bad idea, or will there be any headaches using an opti-bay drive as a primary drive? Using a mid-2009 MacBook Pro running 10.7.1.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Martytoof posted:

I can't tell you (because I don't know), but I've been avoiding using mine just in case they are. I know several developers have migrated their mobileme accounts to iCloud so for their sake I would hope they don't wipe everything, or at least do a selective wipe.
They're not wiping emails, contacts, or calendars. Only user-uploaded data like your iCloud documents/backups, photos, etc. are getting cleared -- basically what used to be iDisk stuff.

edit: Also that maintenance was done yesterday, so it's a moot point.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
One of my two identically configured machines running Lion is undergoing frequent freezes. Not crashes. Good old fashioned frozen screen, though I can still move the cursor. After 10-30 seconds it will start working again. But it's annoying as hell. Doesn't seem tied to the use of a particular application. I have 8 GB of RAM on a two year old MBP.

Googling produces nothing. Anyone have any idea what this is or how to fix it?

Martytoof posted:

edit:

God drat it, there is SOMETHING running on my machine that is making a weird echo-sonar type sound every now and then. I have no idea what it could be and it's driving me crazy. There's no visible notification or anything. I would selectively close apps but it happens so sporadically that I will be testing this for the next four days before I figure it out, if at all.

e2: Oh it was loving Steam's "friend online" sound.

Wait is it really Steam? Because I've been getting that too and I don't have Steam.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Petey posted:

Are they stock hard drives?

ogreboy
Apr 1, 2003

priznat posted:

Talking about regretted buys, "Reeder" is mine. I frickin love the iOS versions, but the OSX one, while being really slick, is buggy and prone to sucking up huge amounts of resources.

Seems like it's still kind of half baked. Perhaps when it gets another rev or two I'll use it more but now I find I just use google reader in chrome most of the time.

Now that I'm using a MBA, Gruml performs like a champ with the SSD. I think it's the best free Google Reader-integrated RSS reader on Mac. Supports Lion fullscreen too.

So long as you have an SSD. Man did Gruml ever chug on my old MBP.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I put to you that any newsreader which chugs on a regular hard drive isn't that good of a newsreader.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Since it's Lion related: how can you make it so that when the mouse is active, scrolling is normal, whereas with the trackpad, it's natural? Doesn't seem to work that way even if you turn one on/off. Is it a bug?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
So I've got an external hard drive formatted to NTSF. I've got a PC desktop and a Macbook Air, and ideally I'd like to use the external drive to store files from both. I read that there's software that would allow me to write to the drive from my Macbook Air. Are there any recommendations as to what would be the best programs to use to do so?

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
NTFS. And the easiest solution might be to just reformat the external as exFAT.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

qbert posted:

So I've got an external hard drive formatted to NTSF. I've got a PC desktop and a Macbook Air, and ideally I'd like to use the external drive to store files from both. I read that there's software that would allow me to write to the drive from my Macbook Air. Are there any recommendations as to what would be the best programs to use to do so?

I use NTFS-3G; it provides support for writing to NTFS drives and it's free. Just be aware that writing to NTFS via MacOSX will often be a bunch slower than if you were to do it in Windows, and that you always have to safely unmount your external drives (even on Windows!) to avoind NTFS-3G to be weird about it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Petey posted:

One of my two identically configured machines running Lion is undergoing frequent freezes. Not crashes. Good old fashioned frozen screen, though I can still move the cursor. After 10-30 seconds it will start working again. But it's annoying as hell. Doesn't seem tied to the use of a particular application. I have 8 GB of RAM on a two year old MBP.

Wait is it really Steam? Because I've been getting that too and I don't have Steam.

a: Does dmesg or Console.app show anything relevant to your hangups?

b: Yep, I'm like 99% sure it was Steam.app/Contents/MacOS/friends/friend_online.wav

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Jolan posted:

I use NTFS-3G; it provides support for writing to NTFS drives and it's free. Just be aware that writing to NTFS via MacOSX will often be a bunch slower than if you were to do it in Windows, and that you always have to safely unmount your external drives (even on Windows!) to avoind NTFS-3G to be weird about it.

Thanks for the advice, but it looks like on NTFS-3G's site they say there's no current support for OS X 10.7 and above.

I may look into trying out the Paragon option.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

Sulk posted:

Since it's Lion related: how can you make it so that when the mouse is active, scrolling is normal, whereas with the trackpad, it's natural? Doesn't seem to work that way even if you turn one on/off. Is it a bug?

Currently the preference for trackpad and mouse scroll direction seems to be linked across both preference panes.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Sulk posted:

http://pilotmoon.com/scrollreverser/

This might help.

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

I just got a macbook air. This is my first mac. What's the best free antivirus?

Sebb
Aug 8, 2007
kinda like the way you're breathing
kinda like the way you keep looking away

Appachai posted:

None.

rookieone
May 25, 2004

A small town never forgets
I'd like to stream music to my xbox360 from my Mac from iTunes or a networked drive, but I seem to only find DLNA servers like eyeconnect, connect360 and the like. Which is of no use because the DLNA browser on the XBOX is absolute crap and reads files in their alphabetical order. For some reason it does not account for track numbers even though the files are correctly tagged.
I currently use the built-in DLNA server on my XBMC machine which works ok, but it's really not ideal.

My idea would be to have some kind of airplay-like function where I could send music that's currently playing on my Mac to the XBOX to output it over the connected speakers. I don't want to go to the XBOX to control what's being played, I'd like to do that from the computer directly.

Any idea if such a thing exists ? Maybe there's some AirPlay hack I'm not aware of

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Appachai posted:

ClamX AV isn't horrible, though I've always told it to only watch my downloads and mail folders, as they're pretty much the 2 big vectors.

Also note that if you just install the main part, it won't actually scan anything unless you tell it to; you have to set up watched folders in the Sentry portion of the app to do that.

But to be honest, I don't run it anymore. There's no real need, especially now that I've already got a standard set of apps I run, and most of the new stuff is coming from the App Store.

On a side note, I tried installing a fresh copy of Lion on my 2010 MBP last night, by burning the Install ESD.dmg image to a dvd. Everything worked fine until it got most of the way through the install then said the installation failed and to try again. Unfortunately, it then kept failing no matter what, and wouldn't let me restart the installation from scratch even after re-partitioning and formatting the hard drive. It turns out the Lion installer records the status of the install in the PRAM, which you need to reset if you want to try completely reinstalling Lion from scratch.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Appachai posted:

Amazing, I know, but you don't need an antivirus on a Mac.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Granite Octopus posted:

ClamX AV isn't horrible, though I've always told it to only watch my downloads and mail folders, as they're pretty much the 2 big vectors.

Please don't encourage him. As maduin says, you don't need an antivirus app on OS X. The few apps that are available just scan for Windows viruses (as there are no OS X viruses in the wild, they have nothing to scan for) and are intended for mixed-OS LAN environments even if they're marketed as OS X antivirus apps.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Terpfen posted:

Please don't encourage him. As maduin says, you don't need an antivirus app on OS X. The few apps that are available just scan for Windows viruses (as there are no OS X viruses in the wild, they have nothing to scan for) and are intended for mixed-OS LAN environments even if they're marketed as OS X antivirus apps.

Right, no Mac viruses.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

yaoi prophet posted:

Right, no Mac viruses.

Someone doesn't know the difference between a virus, a Trojan, and malware.

These words all mean different things. A Trojan is not a virus is not malware. So when I say there are no OS X viruses in the wild, I mean precisely that: there are no OS X viruses in the wild. You can't name one because there aren't any to name. There ARE Trojans, which the AV apps in question do nothing against because they scan for Windows viruses; and it's funny that you cite Mac Defender considering that it's ceased being a threat after a raid on the fake Russian security firm that wrote it.

So, not only are you wrong, but you're wrong in multiple ways.

fryzoy
Sep 21, 2005
What.

Terpfen posted:

Someone doesn't know the difference between a virus, a Trojan, and malware.

These words all mean different things. A Trojan is not a virus is not malware. So when I say there are no OS X viruses in the wild, I mean precisely that: there are no OS X viruses in the wild. You can't name one because there aren't any to name. There ARE Trojans, which the AV apps in question do nothing against because they scan for Windows viruses; and it's funny that you cite Mac Defender considering that it's ceased being a threat after a raid on the fake Russian security firm that wrote it.

So, not only are you wrong, but you're wrong in multiple ways.

^^^^^
This right here is THE definition of backpedaling.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Oh, okay! So if my mom tells me that she's getting a pop-up from her MacBook asking for her credit card information and she says she thinks she has a virus I can just cite Internet Security Expert Terpfen and say that no, mom, your computer doesn't have a virus, heh, it has malware.

I'm not even saying that the average OSX end user needs security software, I'm just saying that 'there are literally no OS X viruses' is dishonest at best.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

fryzoy posted:

^^^^^
This right here is THE definition of backpedaling.

No, actually, it's the definition of elaboration. There are no OS X viruses to scan for, ergo OS X AV apps don't actually scan for OS X viruses. They scan for Windows viruses that might be present but inactive on OS X due to, say, cross-OS file sharing.

yaoi prophet posted:

I'm not even saying that the average OSX end user needs security software, I'm just saying that 'there are literally no OS X viruses' is dishonest at best.

Again: name them.

Saying there are no OS X viruses is not dishonest, it's accurate. There are OS X Trojans, and certainly OS X security holes. There are no OS X viruses. This isn't a blanket statement that OS X is immune, it's a statement that there are no viruses in the wild for OS X. This is true. If it weren't, you'd be posting or linking to the massive list of known OS X viruses. You can't, because there aren't.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

It's dishonest because while it might be technically true, there are OS X trojans and both of them fall under the category of 'software that does bad poo poo to your computer.'

Also here's an OS X virus from 2006.

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

yaoi prophet posted:

Also here's an OS X virus from 2006.

To be fair, LEAP required a lot of user input and couldn't propagate beyond a Bonjour network. It was a virus in the smallest sense of the word.

I think the bottom line is that Mac users, right now, don't need antivirus. In fact, as far new users or parents are concerned, education is much better. Tell your parents to not put their credit card info into sites (or popups) they don't know. And give them a user account with limited privileges.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

Terpfen posted:

No, actually, it's the definition of elaboration. There are no OS X viruses to scan for, ergo OS X AV apps don't actually scan for OS X viruses. They scan for Windows viruses that might be present but inactive on OS X due to, say, cross-OS file sharing.

Again: name them.

Saying there are no OS X viruses is not dishonest, it's accurate. There are OS X Trojans, and certainly OS X security holes. There are no OS X viruses. This isn't a blanket statement that OS X is immune, it's a statement that there are no viruses in the wild for OS X. This is true. If it weren't, you'd be posting or linking to the massive list of known OS X viruses. You can't, because there aren't.

Yes because the only thing AntiVirus protects against is viruses.

Yes you don't really need AV on a Mac, but quit this idiotic pedantic bullshit. OS X has security problems just like anyone else, and for the general public a lot of that crap falls under the generic umbrella of "virus". So stop it.

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Must I dream and always see your face?
I'm looking for a way to run a simple .exe file on my girlfriend's Macbook running Snow Leopard. I've got both licenses for both VMWare and Parallels (yay Macupdate bundles!) but it feels like overkill just to run one little program. What is the easiest and simplest way to go about this? Wine? Crossover? Preferably free if possible.

The program is a digital book with some geneaology stuff. You can find it here if you want to: http://home.no/bygdebok/ - downloadable by clicking on the header. I have no idea if it's got any viruses or anything, so click at your own risk.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

Terpfen posted:

A Trojan is not a virus is not malware.
If you want to get all nitpicky, the term "malware" easily applies to both viruses and trojans, which are, by definition, malicious software. And of course there is malicious software that targets Macs. Just not very much of it.

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

maduin posted:

Amazing, I know, but you don't need an antivirus on a Mac.

That's crazy. Do I need to have anti-malware stuff too like ad-aware or malwarebytes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Appachai posted:

Do I need to have anti-malware stuff too like ad-aware or malwarebytes?
No.