Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
I am a self-professed non-Porsche guy, but :drat:

Edit: gently caress, new page. I was referring to the last post.

For some content, this is a pretty drat handsome CNG car
http://jalopnik.com/5842053/how-to-make-a-green-car-sexy

Boaz MacPhereson fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Sep 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
That car looks brilliant, just a bit dumb to have to call it "green".

From the article though, something jumped out at me:
"If you have a natural-gas line at home, such as for your stove, you can even buy a converter to make your own CNG."

That can't be legal, surely? Or is it the same kind of thing as biodiesel where you should pay take on what you use but there's nobody to enforce it?
Home natural gas is way way cheaper than LPG.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

~Coxy posted:

That car looks brilliant, just a bit dumb to have to call it "green".

From the article though, something jumped out at me:
"If you have a natural-gas line at home, such as for your stove, you can even buy a converter to make your own CNG."

That can't be legal, surely? Or is it the same kind of thing as biodiesel where you should pay take on what you use but there's nobody to enforce it?
Home natural gas is way way cheaper than LPG.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Civic_GX

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Not much info in that wiki article but from looking up the Phill I guess home refuelling cannot make financial sense even with the cheaper price per therm.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
New Alfa Giulietta based Dodge Caliber spotted.

Also, the new M5 will have Active Sound Design. It's... exactly what it sounds like.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Throatwarbler posted:

Also, the new M5 will have Active Sound Design. It's... exactly what it sounds like.
Sigh. Reminds me of the VW ad where the old beetle talks and makes vrooming noises. Don't treat me like a child; treat me like a driving enthusiast. I'll pay the extra thousands for you guys to engineer the real sound to be good.

69sofine
Jan 30, 2007
Im a hott horny asain.

kimbo305 posted:

Sigh. Reminds me of the VW ad where the old beetle talks and makes vrooming noises. Don't treat me like a child; treat me like a driving enthusiast. I'll pay the extra thousands for you guys to engineer the real sound to be good.

Who needs some fancy BMW engineered engine sounds when they make this

http://www.soundracer.se/?p=98

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That would be awesome if the engine sounds didn't sound computerized/electronic.

If they made one that sounded like a real 5.0 Mustang with Flowmasters I'd be all over it.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Throatwarbler posted:

Sounds design is not new, sorry to burst your bubble.

eames
May 9, 2009

2ndclasscitizen posted:

So it turns out the 991 is pretty fast. 997 GT3 fast.

The 991 Turbo and GTx models are going to be stupid fast.

2013: 991 GT2 RS with PDK and Röhrl at the wheel… :wotwot:

Looking forward to that youtube video!

eames fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Sep 24, 2011

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Boiled Water posted:

Sounds design is not new, sorry to burst your bubble.
I'm aware that manufacturers tune their cars to make the sound customers expect, but this is the first time I've seen a factory system that replicates an appropriate sound for you. It's pretty pathetic, really.

Though I think the aftermarket guys are missing a trick - sell one for four-cylinder Wrangler owners that replicates the thrudding and turbo spool of a big diesel...

Cmdr Will Riker
Mar 27, 2003
Isn't it more because the cabin sound insulation is so good that they feel like you're missing out on the fun up front? Plus I'm sure you can turn it off. If not, then that is a little weird.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

InitialDave posted:

I'm aware that manufacturers tune their cars to make the sound customers expect, but this is the first time I've seen a factory system that replicates an appropriate sound for you. It's pretty pathetic, really.

Though I think the aftermarket guys are missing a trick - sell one for four-cylinder Wrangler owners that replicates the thrudding and turbo spool of a big diesel...

Don't know what "bubble" of mine is being popped here, I never said it was new. IIRC some version of the Honda Accord had a similar system except the stereo put out sound waves designed to cancel out cabin noise, like in a noise cancelling headset, to make the cabin quieter.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I, for one, can't think of a metaphor for a modern BMW that's better than the reality they presented here. You are isolated so much from the car that you need a computer simulation to draw you into the ultimate driving machine.

Yeticopter
Nov 19, 2004

Everybody's favorite urban legend, now airborne.
Isn't that almost exactly like that cigarette lighter device that makes fake V8 sounds? I was thinking of buying one for my friend who drives a Prius.

In the new M5, I have to say that's incredibly misguided. It's one thing to have a pleasant commuter vehicle that's also a balls-out sport sedan but to replicate engine noise through the car stereo? Come on that's just sad.

I know they probably justified it with some ridiculous internal logic like "ve vant to allow ze driver to adjust zee experience to their exact preferences... including only hearing the engine roar ven zey vant to."

Pretty soon their entire lineup will be turbo 4's mated to an electronic driveline that makes any fake sound you want, V8, V12, boost-crazy 4-banger. The choice is yours! gently caress hybrids.

Yeticopter fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 24, 2011

Bat Legs
Mar 13, 2006

I can understand the draw of sound kits for laughs on hybrid or electric cars, but it does seem a little silly on a gasoline powered car. I wonder if it's just cheaper than doing something like Maserati system where you hit a "sport" button and it opens a port in the exhaust system that amplifies the engine noise.

The idea of having Tesla that makes ambient DOOM zombie noises while idling and a hell baron scream when accelerating with sound kit amuses me, as long as I could switch the kit off after the five or so minutes I imagine it would take the joke to get old.

69sofine
Jan 30, 2007
Im a hott horny asain.

Bat Legs posted:

I can understand the draw of sound kits for laughs on hybrid or electric cars, but it does seem a little silly on a gasoline powered car. I wonder if it's just cheaper than doing something like Maserati system where you hit a "sport" button and it opens a port in the exhaust system that amplifies the engine noise.

The idea of having Tesla that makes ambient DOOM zombie noises while idling and a hell baron scream when accelerating with sound kit amuses me, as long as I could switch the kit off after the five or so minutes I imagine it would take the joke to get old.

Sounds like what you're talking about is an electronic exhaust cutout

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Throatwarbler posted:

Don't know what "bubble" of mine is being popped here, I never said it was new. IIRC some version of the Honda Accord had a similar system except the stereo put out sound waves designed to cancel out cabin noise, like in a noise cancelling headset, to make the cabin quieter.

Ah the 90s.

Many Japanese Nissans and Mitsubishis had the same system

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Throatwarbler posted:

IIRC some version of the Honda Accord had a similar system except the stereo put out sound waves designed to cancel out cabin noise, like in a noise cancelling headset, to make the cabin quieter.

I don't know why they wouldn't make the exhaust nice and loud on the M5, then implement a system like this that's switchable by the driver.

Bat Legs posted:

I wonder if it's just cheaper than doing something like Maserati system where you hit a "sport" button and it opens a port in the exhaust system that amplifies the engine noise.

The best use of those is Aprilia's on the RSV4 superbike. The valve is only closed in neutral so it can pass the noise test for emissions approval, then the moment you select first it opens right up.

2ndclasscitizen fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 25, 2011

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I don't know why they wouldn't make the exhaust nice and loud on the M5, then implement a system like this that's switchable by the driver.

I guess the unusual exhaust layout of the turbo V8 makes the noises different that what people expect.

eames
May 9, 2009

2ndclasscitizen posted:

I’d say the target audience changed.
The M-series (5 and 7 in particular, 1 and 3 not so much) is moving from "sporty cars for enthusiasts" to "luxurious car for your loaded wife". Just look at the interior of the F10 M5… or its weight for that matter.

DirtyAddict
Sep 24, 2011

by T. Finn
Lotus started useing electronics to change the cars sounds some time ago.

" http://www.lotusespritturbo.com/Lotus_Esprit_Turbo_Car_And_Driver.htm
Lotus's extensive four-cylinder experience has led to a novel approach to noise reduction. An experimental system called "adaptive noise control" uses microphones to monitor engine noise in a car's passenger compartment. A computer resolves the noise into its basic frequencies and uses the car's sound system to generate the same frequencies in reverse phase. The opposing sound waves cancel each other out resulting in a much quieter cabin. The system is still in the earliest stages of development, but it promises to be much more effective than conventional sound-deadening techniques."

Here is 1 car that.. Im sure alot will love a Ford with the RS500 badge, brings back great memories of the Ford RS/Cosworth era..

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

DirtyAddict posted:

Lotus started useing electronics to change the cars sounds some time ago.

" http://www.lotusespritturbo.com/Lotus_Esprit_Turbo_Car_And_Driver.htm
Lotus's extensive four-cylinder experience has led to a novel approach to noise reduction. An experimental system called "adaptive noise control" uses microphones to monitor engine noise in a car's passenger compartment. A computer resolves the noise into its basic frequencies and uses the car's sound system to generate the same frequencies in reverse phase. The opposing sound waves cancel each other out resulting in a much quieter cabin. The system is still in the earliest stages of development, but it promises to be much more effective than conventional sound-deadening techniques."

Here is 1 car that.. Im sure alot will love a Ford with the RS500 badge, brings back great memories of the Ford RS/Cosworth era..

That's for a totally different purpose though. BMW is doing it to make the car sound better to the driver. Lotus is attempting to do exactly what noise canceling headphones do accept with engine noise to keep the drone down in the cabin.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

So did anyone realise that big Bugatti was coming out?
I was speaking to a dude today who has bought one.
Ridiculous.

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008
I know the V8.mp3 in the M5 is bad, but isn't BMW doing something similar to get the I6 sound out of the new 4 cylinder they're putting in the new Z cars? At least the M5 isn't faking it -as- bad.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Couldn't you just open a window? Or drive through a tunnel? Or both?

"you do not understand BMW M5 buyers" -BMW marketing team

My guess is BMW was losing tosser market share to Audi so had to give their tossers something new and lame to show off to their tosser friends.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The more I read about the new features cars come packed with these days the more I want to build a kit car with a manual 5 speed & v8.

69sofine
Jan 30, 2007
Im a hott horny asain.
http://jalopnik.com/5843721/nissan-europes-secret-godzilla+powered-super-juke

Apparently Nissan Europe wants to put the twin turbo v6 from the GTR into a Nissan Juke. I have no problems with this.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Hot Cops posted:

I know the V8.mp3 in the M5 is bad, but isn't BMW doing something similar to get the I6 sound out of the new 4 cylinder they're putting in the new Z cars? At least the M5 isn't faking it -as- bad.

yes

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

69sofine posted:

Apparently Nissan Europe wants to put the twin turbo v6 from the GTR into a Nissan Juke. I have no problems with this.

A while back someone posted a photoshop of the juke that removed the upper lights & sank then into the grill. Combine these two & I may make a financially stupid decision.

69sofine
Jan 30, 2007
Im a hott horny asain.

Cakefool posted:

A while back someone posted a photoshop of the juke that removed the upper lights & sank then into the grill. Combine these two & I may make a financially stupid decision.

I remember that thread. I forgot exactly why everyone was photoshoping the juke though. I don't really mind the 2 sets of headlights. It looks ugly but at least it doesn't look like an accord or camry

dag01
Mar 9, 2004
for you to be inside of me is a delightful concept

69sofine posted:

And it will probably never come to the states because someone hates us.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

dag01 posted:

And it will probably never come to the states because someone hates us.

Its never going to get made.

The GT-R needs to be as large as it is to fit the drivetrain in, no way that'd be going in a Juke

dor1
Jun 5, 2011

dissss posted:

Its never going to get made.

The GT-R needs to be as large as it is to fit the drivetrain in, no way that'd be going in a Juke

Even if it gets made, it'd be a one-off.

Mr. Pither
May 28, 2006

Hello, friends!

A5H posted:

So did anyone realise that big Bugatti was coming out?
I was speaking to a dude today who has bought one.
Ridiculous.
The Galibier? Last I heard they're on some kind of hold, but I guess it's nothing official.

I imagine if you're wealthy enough to purchase one, you can probably talk to Bugatti directly. Even if they're right on the cusp of approving it, it'll be a while before even the most interested customer can get their hands on the production model.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Mr. Pither posted:

The Galibier? Last I heard they're on some kind of hold, but I guess it's nothing official.

I imagine if you're wealthy enough to purchase one, you can probably talk to Bugatti directly. Even if they're right on the cusp of approving it, it'll be a while before even the most interested customer can get their hands on the production model.

It's not on hold apparently. £1.3 mil. Delivered end of 2012.

Mr. Pither
May 28, 2006

Hello, friends!
That's pretty cool then. I like the idea of all that crazy technology being in a massive sedan. I always thought the Veyron's headlights were a big blemish on its styling and the concept Galibier looks a lot better in that regard.

Of course, I'll be very surprised if I ever even see one in person!

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
So has the 7spd manual 991 popped up anywhere? I want to see the shift pattern/possible lockout.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Ziploc posted:

So has the 7spd manual 991 popped up anywhere? I want to see the shift pattern/possible lockout.

The next Corvette is also going to 7 speeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Throatwarbler posted:

The next Corvette is also going to 7 speeds.

So, how does one avoid shifting into 7th from 4th, I wonder?