Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

Thanks for the BDM advice, all. I don't think they're my type of band, based on a quick YouTubing, but if they're as good live as you say they are it won't be too horrible, at least.

I'm in the group that says it isn't worth it. The times I've seen them they were beyond boring, but then again I really don't like their music, so maybe I'm a bit biased. Also their fans are the loving worst. I had to punch one of them in the face because he kept losing his balance and slamming into me while I was in the back of the crowd. gently caress him and gently caress that lousy band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

attackmole posted:

Anthrax is pretty hit or miss, but every now and then, they'd just hit the best mosh riffs that I usually thought were more catchy than SOD. Among the Living and I am the Law are A+ mosh songs.

They are pretty silly and cheesy, but I am the Law has one of the BEST riffs. I must have heard the first 10 seconds of that song like a million times.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

So, the Lou Reed + Metallica abortion/thing has a new clip. No, it's not any better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho3cxShzsNE

:smithicide:

Sir Xiphos
Dec 11, 2008

hemophilia posted:

So, the Lou Reed + Metallica abortion/thing has a new clip. No, it's not any better.

da gently caress. I appreciate Lou Reed and everything but who thought this was a good idea?

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

hemophilia posted:

Jesus Christ. Who thought this would be a good idea? The beginning really sounds awful.

In other news, my "magazine" is getting big-ish. I have deals with Napalm Records and Century Media, so I get to listen to their albums before they're released; the same things with other minor labels as well as emerging bands that send me their demos.
However, I also have a full-time job (I'm doing my PhD) so I can't really review everything they send me. If anybody wants to help me review albums and/or concerts, please let me know. You'll get the chance to listen to music before everyone else!

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Presumably James Hetfield and Lou Reed thought it was a good idea.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

MrBling posted:

Presumably James Hetfield and Lou Reed thought it was a good idea.

This means Hetfield needs to go back into rehab.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Non Serviam posted:

This means Hetfield needs to go back into rehab.

I think it means the opposite.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I think if he went back to doing speedballs his heart would explode.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Non Serviam posted:

Jesus Christ. Who thought this would be a good idea? The beginning really sounds awful.

In other news, my "magazine" is getting big-ish. I have deals with Napalm Records and Century Media, so I get to listen to their albums before they're released; the same things with other minor labels as well as emerging bands that send me their demos.
However, I also have a full-time job (I'm doing my PhD) so I can't really review everything they send me. If anybody wants to help me review albums and/or concerts, please let me know. You'll get the chance to listen to music before everyone else!

I think I could get behind doing this since I have more time these days. Send me an e-mail at burkanj [at] gmail [dot] com and I'll give you some examples of my previous work.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
It seems pretty obvious that Hetfield has reached the point in his life/career where he just does whatever he wants and gives no actual fucks about whatever fans there might be left.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

I tried my hardest to just straight up not listen to that collabortion, but I finally gave in to temptation, and Jesus. loving. Christ. You would think that with Lars being as terrible of a drummer as he is, he would at least be able to compensate with getting a decent sound to his drums. But no, his kick drum sounds like it has a sheet of paper stapled over it, and his snare sounds like a machine. He's also still off-time despite this being edited at least a few times already. And that's still the most skin deep criticism I can think of for the entire thing. I can't even be bothered to go further than that.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
It sounds like the metal version of Speak the Hungarian Rapper

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 22, 2016

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Metallica are clearly trying to pull an In Utero and will fail in a spectacular fashion.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

thepitgoddess posted:

New Medadeth song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2Mb2vMTIjg&feature=player_embedded

It's not that *good* but it's not bad, and it's better than Anthrax.

Eh..

Feels like Dave really can't think of any snapping riffs anymore, and just uses sub-par stuff. That's too bad, but oh well, we'll always have the first four albums.

Personally, if I was Dave I'd sit myself in front of a speaker and play the entire KimB album over and over, then go hire Chris Poland again.

Hefty Leftist fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Sep 25, 2011

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Just found out that some of the new Redemption album leaked. Its a little heavier than Snowfall on Judgement Day from what I have heard, and for the most part it really sounds like a decent follow up.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Finally had some time to listen to some new albums this morning.

Opeth's Heritage was very boring. I even love all that off tempo prog stuff but this just didn't do it for me. I felt there were times when they could've (should've) gone heavy and held off just to be different from their norm. I think even non metal prog acts would've gone heavier.

New Skeletonwitch was loving great, some good old thrash with some more melodic elements. I guess Mastodon's The Hunter actually is growing on me (contrary to my previous post). I think my new favorite rotation album is Hunters From Birth to Soil. http://www.frombirthtosoil.com/ This poo poo slays. They're streaming their whole album on their website. Check the tracks Grime Maiden and World Lament (although the whole albums is great.

_Leviathan_
Jul 12, 2006

by Lowtax
I love the new Mastodon. Big improvement on the vocals, a lot of great riffs, melodies, and drumming. There's a couple of tracks I didn't care for, but for the most part its amazing, and fits into the rest of their discography nicely. I'm picking it up on Tuesday for sure.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

Non Serviam posted:

If anybody wants to help me review albums and/or concerts, please let me know. You'll get the chance to listen to music before everyone else!

gothichouseplant at gmail dot com

If you need a website or reviews, let me know.

Scrubadubdub
Dec 26, 2008

_Leviathan_ posted:

I love the new Mastodon. Big improvement on the vocals, a lot of great riffs, melodies, and drumming. There's a couple of tracks I didn't care for, but for the most part its amazing, and fits into the rest of their discography nicely. I'm picking it up on Tuesday for sure.

Currently not all that stoked on new Mastodon, the recording doesn't seem to have the right mojo to it. Guitars are nasty bright, for one. Totally might like it more in a week though, we'll see!

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

The full Metallica/Lou Reed song The View was released today. Man, the same riff plays over and over until the end of the song.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

keratas posted:

The full Metallica/Lou Reed song The View was released today. Man, the same riff plays over and over until the end of the song.

I actually really like the sound of the guitars, drums, bass and James' voice I would say is back to full glory.

The only problem is that Lou Reed...doing...whatever the gently caress he's doing is really terrible.

Apparently we're meant to approach this as a Lou Reed album, but with Metallica behind him.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
There's only one possible way for Metallica to follow 'Lulu', and that's to do a Shatner album.

Also, the new Machine Head album is out and loving awesome, yet no one is discussing it? Don't tell me folks are too TROO CVLT BLACK METUL!!!! for it.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

The End posted:

There's only one possible way for Metallica to follow 'Lulu', and that's to do a Shatner album.

Also, the new Machine Head album is out and loving awesome, yet no one is discussing it? Don't tell me folks are too TROO CVLT BLACK METUL!!!! for it.

Nup, just don't like Machine Head. You are free to enjoy as you please though.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

The End posted:

Vio-Lence or bust.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Turk February posted:

Vio-Lence or bust.

Practically is Vio-lence these days, with Demmel on board.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
The new Devin Townsend video for Juular is...awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-DKs0qfdEk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-DKs0qfdEk

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Not a huge fan but that was alright -- he's really big on Facebook, posts all the time about his shows and offers some cool stuff from time to time.

This is probably the only thing I like of his.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3ES53REY9Y

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Very mixed feelings over Road Salt Two :(

This month has been extremely disappointing- I was looking forward to Heritage, A Dramatic Turn of Events, and this so much. And none of them are what I hoped they'd be.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Non Serviam posted:

Do they expect actual reviews that will tell them if something is poo poo or do they just want every thing to get high grades like metal observer does?

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic

Sab669 posted:

Really? I know this is probably the wrong thread for it since it's not even slightly metal, but I adore this album. It's got such a joyous sound, I can't remember the last time I could hear how much the band loves making the music so clearly. It's got a few weaker moments but I think it's a lot more consistent than Road Salt One. Daniel sounds amazing, and Leo Margarit is quickly becoming one of my favourite drummers. They're clearly in a completely different place than when they were making albums like Remedy Lane but you'll hear no complaints from me.

The Lou Reed + Metallica thing is one of the most jarringly unpleasant songs I've heard in a while. It sounds like at least three completely different songs at different tempos being forced together, and not in the interesting way that Zappa used to do it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sab669 posted:

This month has been extremely disappointing- I was looking forward to Heritage, A Dramatic Turn of Events, and this so much. And none of them are what I hoped they'd be.

What were you expecting out of ADTOE? It's the best thing Dream Theater has done in over 10 years.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.

hemophilia posted:

This is loving hilarious. Comedy album of the century.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass

Durendal posted:

Just found out that some of the new Redemption album leaked. Its a little heavier than Snowfall on Judgement Day from what I have heard, and for the most part it really sounds like a decent follow up.

Totally forgot about this band since their 2007 album.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

This is loving hilarious. Comedy album of the century.

This is basically what I thought when I heard it - I thought "my god... they've done it. They've beat St. Anger in awfulness"

I know, this album isn't a Metallica album, it's a Lou Reed album featuring Metallica, and is based on a play, or whatever.... but god drat, nonetheless.

Hellwuzzat
Nov 28, 2008
Smash Mouth eat egg.
Metallica cover Yakety Sax.

crazyvanman
Dec 31, 2010

Non Serviam posted:

If anybody wants to help me review albums and/or concerts, please let me know. You'll get the chance to listen to music before everyone else!

This would be good, I'd love to help if you still need it.

crazyvanman fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jun 30, 2021

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

IRQ posted:

What were you expecting out of ADTOE? It's the best thing Dream Theater has done in over 10 years.

I'm not sure what I was expecting from it-- Don't get me wrong, I'm not unhappy with the album, but nothing has jumped out at me and made me go "This is awesome". There hasn't been a track I could just really get into, and I find myself still going back to their old stuff time after time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

henpod posted:

The new Devin Townsend video for Juular is...awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-DKs0qfdEk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-DKs0qfdEk

I feel like I'm watching a Nightmare Before Christmas outtake. I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing.