Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

fordan posted:

Hmm. Think we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. Loved Snow Crash, liked Zodiac & Diamond Age, but he really went off the deep end of the historical "look how much research I did" novel. I barely made it through Cryptonomicon, and gave up about half way through the first book of the Baroque Cycle.

Maybe I just like my plotlines simpler.

I read Cryptonomicon, and really only enjoyed the Bobby Shaftoe parts in WW2. The later day stuff was kinda blah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
Bobby Shaftoe is half the man that Half Cock Jack Shaftoe (from Baroque Cycle) was.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

fordan posted:

Hmm. Think we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. Loved Snow Crash, liked Zodiac & Diamond Age, but he really went off the deep end of the historical "look how much research I did" novel. I barely made it through Cryptonomicon, and gave up about half way through the first book of the Baroque Cycle.

Maybe I just like my plotlines simpler.

This is basically my feelings on him. I really love Snow Crash though. The Diamond Age has awesome ideas, but it is so similar to Snow Crash while simultaneously being not as good.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
I'm reading Well of Ascension for the first time, about halfway through now. These characters sure have acquired a lot of angst since the first novel. I don't mind soul searching in my characters, but I think I've read about 300 solid pages of WHO AM I.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

keiran_helcyan posted:

I'm reading Well of Ascension for the first time, about halfway through now. These characters sure have acquired a lot of angst since the first novel. I don't mind soul searching in my characters, but I think I've read about 300 solid pages of WHO AM I.

It's even worse if you read the annotations and find out that Sanderson had actually toned Sazed down from the earlier drafts.
On the bright side, at least Breeze is doing okay :unsmith:

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

404GoonNotFound posted:

It's even worse if you read the annotations and find out that Sanderson had actually toned Sazed down from the earlier drafts.
On the bright side, at least Breeze is doing okay :unsmith:

Yes, Breeze's chapters are a breath of fresh air (har har) between Elend being a textbook definition of "good is dumb" and Vin alternating between moping and pining after the bad boy.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
So this showed up on Sanderson's blog yesterday, surprised nobody's mentioned it. I mean yeah, more :jerkbag: fanwankery, but I gotta say it got the desired reaction out of me.

Well, except for the sheer horror of having that RE fight stand-in for Vin vs. an Inquisitor at the end, which would mean the theoretical movie would have the stink of Paul WS Anderson all over it.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
nooo lovely movie adaption :(

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

404GoonNotFound posted:

So this showed up on Sanderson's blog yesterday, surprised nobody's mentioned it. I mean yeah, more :jerkbag: fanwankery, but I gotta say it got the desired reaction out of me.

Well, except for the sheer horror of having that RE fight stand-in for Vin vs. an Inquisitor at the end, which would mean the theoretical movie would have the stink of Paul WS Anderson all over it.
I like it, if only because I have always pictured Vin looking like Ellen Page.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Ellen Page would be perfect for Vin, but that trailer was meh.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
Yeah, though I like Paul Bettany as Kelsier.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

A Nice Boy posted:

Yeah, though I like Paul Bettany as Kelsier.

Wait what, Paul Bettany? He's awesome, don't think I've ever seen him play an rear end in a top hat character though.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
Yeah, but Kelsier is a good guy...?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

A Nice Boy posted:

Yeah, but Kelsier is a good guy...?

But still an rear end in a top hat.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

arioch posted:

But still an rear end in a top hat.

Yup. Smug, cocky and pushes people into situations that they ordinarily wouldn't find themselves in.

Leaders tend to have to be assholes at one point or another.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
And thus, the moral of the Mistborn series reveals itself:

Man, Jesus was kind of a dick.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

Kelsier: heard about the 11th metal from somewhere, gained mistborn powers somehow, whispers to people after he's dead because.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
That trailer was atrocious and made little sense.

Koryk
Jun 5, 2007
oh, what

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Something I wondered about. The notes in the Way of Kings illustrations(like say, the sketch of the fabrial), any idea what they say? Some of them are written in english but others are basically soundwave graphs.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

veekie posted:

Something I wondered about. The notes in the Way of Kings illustrations(like say, the sketch of the fabrial), any idea what they say? Some of them are written in english but others are basically soundwave graphs.

http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog/1012/THE-WAY-OF-KINGS-interior-illustrations-now-uploaded

If they are readable you'll be able to read them there. Obviously some you can't read, I'm sure there's a reason he didn't put actual text on them. Possibly it could be "spoilerish" for the next book if it was there? Not sure.

subx fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Sep 23, 2011

Yeroc2
Aug 13, 2003

"The glow is the combination of all your past lives, focusing their energy through your body."
Grimey Drawer

veekie posted:

Someone managed to translate them. There used to be pictures with a more detailed overlay, but they seem to have vanished. The text is available here though: http://coppermind.17thshard.com/wiki/Navani%27s_Notebook

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Goddamit, Brandon Sanderson is cool as poo poo. He tweeting about getting everybody together at some card shop grand opening tonight to play magic. He's trading signed hardback copies of his books for certain cards...

quote:

I haven't played MtG in years. Strangely, I found a factory sealed starter deck from 1994 in my closet. Interested? :)

I'd give you some signed hardcovers or an Alloy of Law ARC for it. I haven't opened one of those in years.

:what:

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Sep 24, 2011

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos

Yeroc2 posted:

Someone managed to translate them. There used to be pictures with a more detailed overlay, but they seem to have vanished. The text is available here though: http://coppermind.17thshard.com/wiki/Navani%27s_Notebook

Thats pretty nifty. Wish I could see the overlay but it just takes a bit of cross referencing with the book illustrations to work out what goes where I suppose.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Cartoon Man posted:

Goddamit, Brandon Sanderson is cool as poo poo. He tweeting about getting everybody together at some card shop grand opening tonight to play magic. He's trading signed hardback copies of his books for certain cards...

I saw that same tweet. I bet he is the chillest dude to hang out with, I'd play magic with him.

Yeroc2
Aug 13, 2003

"The glow is the combination of all your past lives, focusing their energy through your body."
Grimey Drawer

veekie posted:

Thats pretty nifty. Wish I could see the overlay but it just takes a bit of cross referencing with the book illustrations to work out what goes where I suppose.

After a little more searching, I found it. The actual images are on yet another wiki http://stormlightarchive.wikia.com/wiki/Alethi_Script

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

well thats the end of my Brandon Sanderson binge. Just finished Elantris and well holy poo poo! that ending was not at all what I was expecting

Hroden was one of the most interesting characters strong on duty but wrestling with his faith, I found his whole character arc fascinating and thought that he went out like a badass. Dilaf on the other hand was the perfect villain, Fanatical and initially seeming a great foil for Hroden and then the reveal was perfectly timed and it was not what I was expecting at all. In fact the only character I had any real problem with was Raoden I don't know why he just struck me as too perfect to be a believable character and towards the end too much of a messiah figure for me to like him.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 25, 2011

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Here's a fantastic Sanderson interview.
http://www.fantasy-magazine.com/new/new-nonfiction/feature-interview-brandon-sanderson/

quote:

Tell me a little bit about the new Mistborn book, Alloy of Law [coming out in November 2011]. It seems like the story arc of the original Mistborn trilogy (The Final Empire, The Well of Ascension, and The Hero of Ages) was well resolved by the end of the third book. So in what direction does this new one go, if you can say without spoilers?

Well, one of the things that bothers me about a lot of fantasy is that the worlds are strangely static, like we invent all sorts of contrived circumstances to keep them from progressing naturally, because we want stories of a certain type. What we do in fantasy, this kind of idealized time period, in literary terms we call it uchronia. Which in some ways is fun, but it’s not very realistic.

I envisioned a series in which there was real progress. There are books that have done it; the Wheel of Time did it, for example, with the introduction of steam power [into a medieval/Renaissance setting], but I wanted to do a story where I wrote a trilogy which explored a fantasy world, and then do other books years later where that fantasy world has now progressed, and its technology has progressed, so that it’s now almost more of an urban fantasy world. You know, write urban fantasies in a setting where the mythology and history are things you saw take place in the first part of the series.

And what is The Rithmatist? Can you tell me a little about it?

The Rithmatist is a YA novel I wrote in 2007, right before the Wheel of Time deal hit me like a freight train. And because I was so busy with that, I didn’t have time to get back to The Rithmatist and play with it, and I’m only now getting to the point where I’ll be able to do some revisions and things, because I’ve been breakneck these last few years and we’re only now slowing down a little. Tor’s going to publish it, but the release is probably a few years off because of the workload involved with the Wheel of Time.

But it’s a really fun book. I wrote it when I was supposed to be working on other things back in 2007, and it’s actually gearpunk—which is not steampunk, but more Da Vinci-era technology, extrapolated hundreds of years into the future. It’s very whimsical; it’s about a boy who goes to magic school, which you’ve seen before, except that he doesn’t have any magical powers, and it’s not something you can learn in this world. He only gets in because his mother is a cleaning lady who works at the school, so he gets free tuition.

So he goes to get a world-class education, but he doesn’t go to the magic classes, just all the other classes. It’s like a private school that also happens to train wizards. I don’t want to get too much into it, but the magic is chalkboard-based; you draw these very elaborate designs that do certain things, and you kind of duel with it. :siren:It’s kind of like playing magical chalkboard Starcraft, in a gearpunk world, told through the eyes of the unmagical son of the cleaning lady. It’s very fun.

Brandon, you are such a goon, never stop writing please.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 27, 2011

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Sanderson is indeed a cool guy. I noticed he lived in the same city as a friend of mine, and mentioned it to my friend. Figuring he had nothing to lose and that Sanderson seemed pretty approachable, he bugged him on Reddit about getting some books signed. Sanderson agreed, and a few days later my friend had a signed Mistborn trilogy in his hand.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
I just started Elantris the other day. Man, it's incredible how much better Sanderson's writing has gotten since his debut. I haven't read Mistborn or Way of Kings since this spring, but I could still tell the difference is night and day.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

I just started Elantris the other day. Man, it's incredible how much better Sanderson's writing has gotten since his debut. I haven't read Mistborn or Way of Kings since this spring, but I could still tell the difference is night and day.

This is true overall, but I liked Elantris more than Warbreaker.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
I haven't read Warbreaker yet, but I will soon. I also need to finish up Wheel of Time before A Memory of Light comes out; I'm on Knife of Dreams but I've been taking a break after slogging through Crossroads of Twilight.

Every time I think about how many books I want to read, I have a minor freakout. :(

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Sanderson tweets about the mistborn movie:

Brandon Sanderson posted:

I have sold rights, but so far all we have is a script and a lot of high hopes.

I'm sure some studio is sitting on it. :argh:

Hope it gets made though.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
I'm re-reading Wheel of Time again. I might end up doing even another re-read before AMOL comes out at this rate.

Come on Brandon, I'm jonesing here.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Mortanis posted:

Sanderson is indeed a cool guy. I noticed he lived in the same city as a friend of mine, and mentioned it to my friend. Figuring he had nothing to lose and that Sanderson seemed pretty approachable, he bugged him on Reddit about getting some books signed. Sanderson agreed, and a few days later my friend had a signed Mistborn trilogy in his hand.

Whoa. That is very cool! I wish I could get some of my books signed by the authors, but it's a one in a million chance of happening. Especially the first eds.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Only a month until Alloy of Law? :dance:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Odette posted:

Whoa. That is very cool! I wish I could get some of my books signed by the authors, but it's a one in a million chance of happening. Especially the first eds.

Most authors are pretty cool about it. A lot won't take mailed books just because they'd get so many and they have other poo poo to do, but if you catch them at a convention or something and have the book with you, most will sign it for you.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
I actually like Elantris a lot. Warbreaker was my second favorite thing he did after WoK. Mistborn was kind of overrated, and is my least favorite.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

If that Mistborn movie gets made, I hope the jumping and fighting scenes are as awesome on screen as they were in my head while I was reading the series (they won't be because hollywood never fails to disappoint).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

pakman posted:

If that Mistborn movie gets made, I hope the jumping and fighting scenes are as awesome on screen as they were in my head while I was reading the series (they won't be because hollywood never fails to disappoint).

I would rather Hollywood had no part in the movies, because they'll just do the bare minimum work for the movie, expecting to get a massive profit. :colbert: