Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I missed this patch, sadly. Doubly sadly, I've been hammering on my mouse button to get it to save and quit out for several minutes to no avail.

edit - MC crashed to desktop as I hit ctrl-alt-del to kill the process...and now Minecraft is actually refusing to load upon a restart. I may need to fix up a new profile in the MPM.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Sep 24, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LotionMan
Nov 1, 2004
Shut up, or I'll give you a nasty rash !
here is a seed for you guys who love being stranded on an island in 1.9
mainland is about 1km off to the northeast, and straight north at x -1000 there is an infected island with mooshrooms

"Anderby" without the quotation marks

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If a normal cow wanders into a mushroom biome, can it become infected and turn into a mooshroom?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Just found a silly thing, I was putting a pillar underwater and noticed an underground cave, I went into it to find out it was an abandoned mine. I went to the end of a short length of corridor and placed a torch on the smoothstone, torch pops off and the block disappears!

This goes on for about 5 or 6 blocks back, until the rest of the mineshaft suddenly pops into being. I go back, explore a different leg and find this.

I relogged a couple of times before jumping into it. I can run around in it fine, place torches and blocks. If I dig down, there's more tunnels 1 block underneath. Is this a known bug?

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
I play on a server with friends, and I've made a private cubby hole for my personal diamond and gold. It's a bedrock room with an iron door. I want to set up a cryptic way of entry so only I can access the room. Right now, it's hidden behind 2 blocks of dirt, it would only be found if someone decided to dig exactly there (Rare).

I've never played with red-stone circuits, but I've managed to set up a button both inside and out for my iron door. Is there a way I can set a remote switch to open my door. What are some other cool ways?

Or ideally, is there a way I can have my iron door non-destroyable to anyone but me?

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
The last one is only if you install mods.

Otherwise, redstone circuits enable you to set up combination locks, order-sensitive locks, etc. Just go to youtube and look for something that sparks your interest.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

simosimo posted:

I've never played with red-stone circuits, but I've managed to set up a button both inside and out for my iron door. Is there a way I can set a remote switch to open my door. What are some other cool ways?

There's some really cool stuff that aren't even too hard to do with a little bit of imagination and some experimentation. I have very little understanding of circuitry and have only recently tried doing stuff with them, but it's very rewarding to see your automated piston gate with built-in door bell in action.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Well, I'm in for a cold in the next couple hours here I think, so I've decided to do something stupid. Remember my artists rendition of an Imperial Star Destroyer? Yeah. . .

The Iolkos clocks in at 105 blocks long. This was 600 before I put the tail on, so it's now probably more like 640-660ish. The Iolkos is down there at the bottom left for comparison. I have clearly taken leave of my faculties.

I actually had a low 200-something block Executor started, got the sides and the bottom done, and then realized "Godsdamnit, this is only twice as big as the other one."

I'll be back later. . .

Much later. After I loving sleep.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Dr. VooDoo posted:

The best moment of YogCast, for me, has to be when they're testing the new blocks in 1.8 and discover the Silverfish block. The screams they make when it pops out are the best
Stumbling on those fuckers unawares and unprepared is pretty goddamn terrifying.

I apparently happened upon a stronghold yesterday without realizing it and released one when I went to carve out a step down. As it happens, swinging madly at it with a stone pick while screaming like a girl is not the wisest response to the situation. I mean, I killed it, but that just meant more spawned and started chasing after me. A better way to resolve the situation is actually to run like a girl (screaming optional) and put the most convenient pool of magma between you and the oncoming horde, which I realized just in time.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.
In some screenshots I see a compass / map thing in the upper right hand corner. How does one get that? Is it a texture pack?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Bookshop Memories posted:

In some screenshots I see a compass / map thing in the upper right hand corner. How does one get that? Is it a texture pack?

Mod. http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/91544-181sep-15-lahwrans-mods-zanminimap-for-18/#ZansMini

Also, if you wish to discuss further on the subject, remember to take it to the other thread

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
Minecraft keeps running out of memory for me within minutes of starting it, is there a way to fix this? (It's never been an issue until the most recent patch)

Welp, I came to post this fix I found and I think it's doing pretty much the same thing as what has been posted below me.

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 24, 2011

Joe Law
Jun 30, 2008

Wildtortilla posted:

Minecraft keeps running out of memory for me within minutes of starting it, is there a way to fix this? (It's never been an issue until the most recent patch)

I had a similar problem, and I fixed it by allocating more memory to java and turning my view distance down. I haven't crashed at all since then. If you're on a 64bit OS make sure you also have the 64bit version of java.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Wildtortilla posted:

Yeah, make a batch file to run it with more memory. You paste this in a notepad file:

javaw -Xmx6144m -Xms3072m -jar "C:\ThisMustBeChangedToYourMCLocation\Minecraft.exe"

Then you save the txt file as whatever.bat, click on it and it runs the game.

Those numbers are for 4gb RAM, you'll want different ones depending. And your minecraft.exe could be anywhere on your computer so you'll have to figure that out.

If the file doesn't run the game because of some java error, install the latest JRE version of java 7 and make the install directory simpler than what it wants to use (i.e. make it C:\java or something) and then it should all work.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Is anyone having an issue where Minecraft starts with no sound? I had it going fine until I saved and quit to look at something in MCEdit and when I went back into the game, it's just mute. The sound and music are both at 100% in options, but it's completely silent.

I can't play this game without being able to hear zombies and skeletons sneaking up on me.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Orv posted:

Well, I'm in for a cold in the next couple hours here I think, so I've decided to do something stupid. Remember my artists rendition of an Imperial Star Destroyer? Yeah. . .

The Iolkos clocks in at 105 blocks long. This was 600 before I put the tail on, so it's now probably more like 640-660ish. The Iolkos is down there at the bottom left for comparison. I have clearly taken leave of my faculties.

I actually had a low 200-something block Executor started, got the sides and the bottom done, and then realized "Godsdamnit, this is only twice as big as the other one."

I'll be back later. . .

Much later. After I loving sleep.

Is this just how maps generate now? It's really beautiful.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

simosimo posted:

I play on a server with friends, and I've made a private cubby hole for my personal diamond and gold. It's a bedrock room with an iron door. I want to set up a cryptic way of entry so only I can access the room. Right now, it's hidden behind 2 blocks of dirt, it would only be found if someone decided to dig exactly there (Rare).

Or ideally, is there a way I can have my iron door non-destroyable to anyone but me?

Something that works well for me is having a water source dropping down a shaft nearby, a kind of 'sacrificial spring' feature. Tossing an object into the spring carries the object along a flow to a wooden pressure plate that triggers whatever redstone you've set up.

Once allocators are a multiplayer thing, I'm looking forward to making doors with specific keys!

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Yeah, the stream method would be really obscure and hard to figure out, the only problem being that the door would stay open until the item dissolves, unless you make the water extend beyond it so that it just pushes past it and opens it for a second, giving you enough time to slip inside.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Apparently animals can glitch through glass panes, making them poor walls for cages. Shame, they look a lot better than thick glass windows.

Orv
May 4, 2011

YOURFRIEND posted:

Is this just how maps generate now? It's really beautiful.

It is! An already oddly (wonderful) beautiful game now actually is more so. It's kind of distressing, really. I walk over a hill and go "Damnit, I'd live here" more often now than ever before. And it was pretty frequent before.

Lady Chinky Eyes
May 6, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Has anybody else had problems with snow accumulation replacing items? At first I thought it was weird that snow accumulated over rails but then when I removed the snow there were no more tracks underneath. It really sucked when it replaced the booster tracks that came from a couple hours of digging for gold.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

It'll probably be fixed in the real 1.9 but you can always build a cute little roof over your tracks

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've been away for 3 months and I've no idea what has changed in MC over that period. Can somebody give me a quick summary as to changes and stuff?

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tollymain posted:

I've been away for 3 months and I've no idea what has changed in MC over that period. Can somebody give me a quick summary as to changes and stuff?

Knock yourself out. It's a lot of changes!

Drake Lake
Aug 7, 2003

I'm a respected community leader! A shining pillar of moral strength!

Weeee! He's updating on Wednesday, though.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

simosimo posted:

There is this method:

There's a lever behind the fire on the left. If you think you'd be inside for long periods of time you could replace it with a button and stick another button on the block above the redstone to let you exit. If you make the design more ornamental and hide the redstone people will probably just think the fire's purely ornamental.

neogeo0823 posted:

Is anyone having an issue where Minecraft starts with no sound? I had it going fine until I saved and quit to look at something in MCEdit and when I went back into the game, it's just mute. The sound and music are both at 100% in options, but it's completely silent.

I can't play this game without being able to hear zombies and skeletons sneaking up on me.
I have this problem too. I tend to resolve it by rebooting minecraft, but the sound comes back on its own after a little while (normally a few minutes).

Tollymain: Here are the major changes I can remember:
New biomes: swamp (trees growing in water, much darker grass, leaves and water, lily pads, vines growing on trees, lots of clay and mushrooms), mountain (few trees, very tall), mushroom land (giant multi-block mushrooms, mycelium instead of grass, mooshroom mobs), ocean (massive, deep oceans with scattered islands), river (winding, moderately-deep bodies of water), ravine (not technically a biome, basically a canyon or crevice cut out of the ground during world creation)
New mobs: Endermen (neutral until you look directly at them, then attack if you look away, can teleport and pick up some types of block, won't attack if you're wearing a pumpkin), Mooshroom (cordyceps cows, you get red mushrooms from shearing and mushroom stew from using bowls in them), Poison Spider (small spider found in abandoned mineshafts, can poison you to drain health, can fit through 1x1 holes), Blaze (Nether-only, flying creature that shoots non-exploding fireballs), Magma Cube (Nether-only, basically a spring-like Slime), Villagers (passive, pacifistic mobs found in NPC villages), Snow Golems (manufactured allied mobs that throw snowballs), Silverfish (burst out of certain types of block, can call other silverfish out to attack, can return to block form if you run away)
New food system: eating food increases a food gauge. If it's full or nearly full you regenerate health. If it's empty you lose health (to 5 on Easy, 0.5 on Normal, death on Hard). Chickens give you Raw Chicken, Cows give you Raw Beef, these can be cooked like pork. Melon seeds can be found and used to grow melons to get melon slices. Zombies now drop Rotting Meat. Raw Chicken and Rotting Meat can poison you, which drains your food bar. There's also some hidden 'food saturation' subsystem where different foods will raise a hidden buffer food bar by different amounts, keeping you full for longer if you eat well.
New light: basically it now goes black->blue->red->white rather than black->white.
Creative Mode: you can fly, are invincible and have access to a lot of blocks and items.
New structures: abandoned mineshafts (long series of winding tunnels with plank struts, scattered minecart rails and the occasional chest with decent loot, as well as spiderwebs and poison spider spawners), strongholds (currently only spawn three times per map, big subterranean silverfish-infested complexes made of a) boring corridors and b) the occasional interesting room), nether ruins (huge complexes of bridges and rooms made from dark red bricks, occasionally have Blaze spawners), NPC villages (groups of simple buildings like houses, libraries, churches, granaries and forges along with small farms, inhabited by Villagers)
New blocks: iron rails, vines, lily pads, window panes, stone bricks, mossy stony brick, cracked stone brick, silverfish-infested stone brick, nether brick, nether fence, nether brick stairs, red and brown giant mushrooms blocks (you can grow them from mushrooms using bonemeal)
New items: blaze rods (dropped by blazes), ghast tears (dropped by ghasts), gold nuggets (dropped by zombie pigmen), netherwort (grows in the Nether on Soul Sand)
Experience: you get it from killing things and, in the v1.9 pre-release, jumping. Currently useless, kills servers because hundreds of xp orbs flood out of someone when they die.
Controls: you can't hold space to repeatedly jump, or hold leftmouse to repeatedly hit things, in the v1.9 pre-release

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

This tunnel was pitch dark when I found them. It's maybe 30 blocks underground, and there's nowhere anywhere remotely nearby that leads to the surface. How did these pigs get here? Mystery pigs

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
So yeah, i assume everyone who plays multi regularly is just eating yummy disconnect/reconnect food?

Is this intended or gunna be fixed? I like the food system, and won't bitch if this is fixed, just wanting to know if I should start stocking up on pigmeat now.

Might raid the nether.

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!

Drake Lake posted:

Weeee! He's updating on Wednesday, though.

Those poor mooshrooms look so tormented :(

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I've got an HD4850, a 2.6 Athlon II X4 and 4 GB of RAM. With 1.9 Pre, 64-bit Java 7 and a force the use of 4 GB of RAM shortcut I get a constant 70 FPS fullscreened at 1920x1080 with a 32x texture pack, Fancy graphics, Far rendering, Smooth Lighting on and Advanced OpenGL off. No lag spikes either. Maybe I'm just a lucky SoB.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Obscurity posted:

Nothing amazing, but I was traveling around my new server checking out the seed and found a neat mountain..

This is from several pages back, but do you know what seed was used to generate that server map Obscurity?

drquasius
Dec 25, 2004

Jetsetlemming posted:

This tunnel was pitch dark when I found them. It's maybe 30 blocks underground, and there's nowhere anywhere remotely nearby that leads to the surface. How did these pigs get here? Mystery pigs

Take the pork and shut your mouth. We don't talk about mystery pigs.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Orv posted:

What system/program are you using to map this with?

Lady Chinky Eyes
May 6, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Fayez Butts posted:

It'll probably be fixed in the real 1.9 but you can always build a cute little roof over your tracks

I can't believe I didn't think of that. Thanks.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

drquasius posted:

Take the pork and shut your mouth. We don't talk about mystery pigs.

I've been finding a lot more animals underground than above ground with 1.8/1.9. Some of it is reasonable, like pigs falling down holes, but other times it's a chicken two miles into an abandoned mine.

Anyone finding diamond much more rare in the last updates? I used to be able to find 20 diamonds in a mine by using the traditional "Dig to Y:12, make tunnel" method, but I've only found seven in the newest world I've made.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I'm having some diamond woes as well.

I do branch mines, 60 long, then 20 long branches and so far I've found 5 total.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Loving Life Partner posted:

I'm having some diamond woes as well.

I do branch mines, 60 long, then 20 long branches and so far I've found 5 total.

Good. I hate the fact that getting the last tier of equipment in the game took maybe a couple hours of play time. Especially considering how diamond armour and tools make the game completely trivial.

drquasius
Dec 25, 2004

Lazyfire posted:

I've been finding a lot more animals underground than above ground with 1.8/1.9. Some of it is reasonable, like pigs falling down holes, but other times it's a chicken two miles into an abandoned mine.

Anyone finding diamond much more rare in the last updates? I used to be able to find 20 diamonds in a mine by using the traditional "Dig to Y:12, make tunnel" method, but I've only found seven in the newest world I've made.

Last night I broke through the roof of a lava chamber which was almost at bedrock level. There were two chickens standing on gravel that promptly died squawking in the lava lake. Maybe Notch believes in spontaneous generation.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Stop strip mining, you'll just use up your diamonds almost as fast as you can find them. There are way more natural underground formations where you can find exposed diamond, or better yet, diamonds in chests.

I found 15 diamond, mostly from chests, just by spending an hour in a mine. I think they're MORE common now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I found a giant gently caress all cavern hooked up to a ravine with ANOTHER cavern and after exploring like 250 torches worth of cave found no diamonds, sigh.

But yeah, I did feel more accomplished in this world making my first diamond pick than any other times.

Course, where I threw the pick but it landed in the lava as well