Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Taffer posted:

Stop strip mining, you'll just use up your diamonds almost as fast as you can find them. There are way more natural underground formations where you can find exposed diamond, or better yet, diamonds in chests.

I found 15 diamond, mostly from chests, just by spending an hour in a mine. I think they're MORE common now.

I've found that I was finding more resources from just exploring ravines anyway and pretty much stopped strip mining a while back. I like having the diamond reserves in case I die with my equipment too far from being retrieved, so I hardly ever use any diamond anything and instead hoard it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

HYMEN.SYS posted:

Good. I hate the fact that getting the last tier of equipment in the game took maybe a couple hours of play time. Especially considering how diamond armour and tools make the game completely trivial.

Well no they don't because they decay.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

YOURFRIEND posted:

Well no they don't because they decay.

They cut through everything faster than any other item and decay the slowest.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

HYMEN.SYS posted:

They cut through everything faster than any other item and decay the slowest.

Yes? That's how the top tier of things in games work? But they still decay pretty fast and you could always lose your diamond poo poo due to unfortunate accidents. I've never had a situation where I had an excess of diamonds or was using primarily diamond tools.

e: eagerly waiting for you to tell me about your ten chests of diamonds and how you made houses from diamond blocks

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_18"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.8.7) (6b18-1.8.7-2~squeeze1)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 14.0-b16, mixed mode)

This apparently can't run the 1.9 preview server and the guy who owns the machine doesn't want to install Oracle's java. Has anyone managed to get the server to run with any version of openjdk or am I hosed?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Taffer posted:

Stop strip mining, you'll just use up your diamonds almost as fast as you can find them. There are way more natural underground formations where you can find exposed diamond, or better yet, diamonds in chests.

I found 15 diamond, mostly from chests, just by spending an hour in a mine. I think they're MORE common now.

Yeah, strip mining is a waste of time in my opinion. I'm sitting on like 20 something diamond right now, with the rest of my friends on the server having a pretty good amount of diamond as well. It's better to go to ravines/mineshafts/cave networks and stumbled upon it. Plus that way, you don't waste all your mining picks. And the caves are a lot more connected and go on forever which is awesome.

I also only use diamonds for swords and mining picks. Those things last FOREVER. They do not decay fast at all. Axes and Shovels you should not be using diamond for, that's a waste.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

YOURFRIEND posted:

Yes? That's how the top tier of things in games work? But they still decay pretty fast and you could always lose your diamond poo poo due to unfortunate accidents. I've never had a situation where I had an excess of diamonds or was using primarily diamond tools.

e: eagerly waiting for you to tell me about your ten chests of diamonds and how you made houses from diamond blocks

It used to be that a couple hours mining got you stacks of diamonds. This was pretty common, actually. Especially after mining guides were put out.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Taffer posted:

I just found 10 diamonds (two five diamond veins like ten blocks from each other) while strip mining. :colbert: Not all naturally formed caverns go to the depths where you're most likely to find the compressed lumps of coals, so I think strip mining still serves a purpose when you really are in a need of a means to collect obsidian. (And also have uses for tons of rock.)

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Synnr posted:

This is from several pages back, but do you know what seed was used to generate that server map Obscurity?

Seed: -300423223989685325

I had the coords saved, but I lost them. >_<

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Taffer posted:

Stop strip mining, you'll just use up your diamonds almost as fast as you can find them.

This isn't true unless you're astronomically unlucky, FYI. One diamond pick is enough to mine out an entire set of diamond tools with uses to spare as long as you're using an efficient pattern.

I've never had enough diamonds to use diamond blocks in architecture or anything, but I can't remember the last time I had to revert to stone tools in my old 1.7 save, even for shovels.

Willie Trombone
Feb 13, 2004

Macaluso posted:

Shovels you should not be using diamond for, that's a waste.

Diamond shovels are actually the best way to find iron as they can clear blocks from cave walls faster than diamond pickaxes can and they can remove thrice as many blocks per diamond consumed. At the depth where diamonds are, there may not be enough dirt and gravel for this to make tons of sense, but over the range where iron appears you can find iron at the rate of about one per minute if you race through caves scouring out all of the dirt and gravel you see (or you used to anyway, I haven't done intensive iron mining since pistons were added).

Willie Trombone fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 24, 2011

Orv
May 4, 2011

Hadlock posted:

What system/program are you using to map this with?

No clue! I'll ask our resident tech guy for that community and get back to you on that.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Vanadium posted:

$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_18"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.8.7) (6b18-1.8.7-2~squeeze1)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 14.0-b16, mixed mode)

This apparently can't run the 1.9 preview server and the guy who owns the machine doesn't want to install Oracle's java. Has anyone managed to get the server to run with any version of openjdk or am I hosed?

Notch specifically says it has to be Oracle's IIRC, sorry.

MrSpiffy
Aug 13, 2000

:woop::siren::siren::siren::woop:
FREDDIE WONG POSTING HERE
:woop::siren::siren::siren::woop:
Getting a bizarre issue - have a multiplayer server world and when you enter the area where we've all been building stuff, slowdown gets insane. Giant FPS spikes, server message saying it can't keep up, etc. It's unplayable in that area (other parts of the world run just fine)

Loaded that same map into singleplayer and the same thing happened. Anybody have any idea what can be done?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Orv posted:

No clue! I'll ask our resident tech guy for that community and get back to you on that.

Thanks! :)

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Orv posted:

I believe it's dynmap (https://github.com/webbukkit/dynmap/wiki). It's what I use on my little server. Really nice maps, dynamic updates so you can watch people build stuff, web to game chat, realtime lighting (so it's night when the server is night and day when the server is day), weather, the works. All on an internal web server (or it'll dump stuff somewhere else for you) It's awesome. Best thing ever for Bukkit servers.

Orv
May 4, 2011

runsamok posted:

I believe it's dynmap (https://github.com/webbukkit/dynmap/wiki). It's what I use on my little server. Really nice maps, dynamic updates so you can watch people build stuff, web to game chat, realtime lighting (so it's night when the server is night and day when the server is day), weather, the works. All on an internal web server (or it'll dump stuff somewhere else for you) It's awesome. Best thing ever for Bukkit servers.

Thiiiiis. . .appears to be correct. I won't give you the 100% confirmation because I don't know personally, but it lines up with what we have (https://idlemc.com:8000/ is our map page) so it's a safe bet. I'll probably have an answer by tomorrow morning at the latest, so I'll just add a confirmation to this post when I get it.

E: http://forums.bukkit.org/threads/misc-dynmap-v0-22-1-realtime-minecraft-maps-1060.489/

Orv fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Sep 25, 2011

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Obscurity posted:

Seed: -300423223989685325

I had the coords saved, but I lost them. >_<

Good enough! Unless you were running around like an hour away from the spawny area! Much obliged though, my previous seed just went to poo poo on me.

Akito12345
Apr 29, 2010

:duane:

MrSpiffy posted:

Getting a bizarre issue

I had this problem awhile back and after being frustrated I had to just use a new map on the server. You could always see if you could move the spawn with MCedit and see if that alleviates the problem but it might be a long shot.
*edit. Sounds like your map may have been corrupted. This happens to me when there's a power outage or the computer is shut off without the server being shut down.

Akito12345 fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Sep 24, 2011

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Orv posted:

Thiiiiis. . .appears to be correct. I won't give you the 100% confirmation because I don't know personally, but it lines up with what we have (https://idlemc.com:8000/ is our map page) so it's a safe bet. I'll probably have an answer by tomorrow morning at the latest, so I'll just add a confirmation to this post when I get it.

That url is dynmap, cos that's exactly what mine looks like :D

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Found a nice map with lots of water, and small islands.

Seed is : 1525855357

Spawn is on the small island that I built a tower on, but there's a larger island with a bay shaped like a natural harbour nearby. I think I can be happy building here!

Pixle
Aug 15, 2004
Not quite sure I follow you there
I really like the new giant mushrooms for building crazy little things. :3:

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Pixle posted:

I really like the new giant mushrooms for building crazy little things. :3:

How did you get the stalk that high without interruption? I thought it converted blocks to dirt when you stacked them.

Cardboard Captain
Apr 19, 2007
Corrugated
Greetings, Junior Girls.
I've been seed hunting the last two days. Here's my poo poo:

Seed: 7619013540131867193
Only works in 1.9

Spawn on the very top of huge mountain. This huge mountain takes up the entire island. Huge mountain has two giant mountain-hollowing caves in it that look like this:

http://i.imgur.com/LaxUF.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/aw52o.jpg

--------------------------------------

Seed: -8422771861082512757
works in both 1.8 and 1.9!

By far the largest I've seen in 1.8/1.9, with the effect made more dramatic by its height over the ground, and a large mountain near it. Part of an excessively large mountain range. Spawn is at 20,232; floating island is at -50, 640. Bignose Village in desert at -430,780 Map: http://i.imgur.com/8oBXo.jpg

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Holy poo poo those are amazing. I wish I had luck at finding seeds like those! Maybe I would if I would ever get off 1.7.3 and the Technic modpack...

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Orv posted:

A bit late, but what map renderer is this?

Teaches of Peaches
Aug 10, 2010

Huh!? What? Right...
Those look wonderful.

I have been on a bit of a gaming hiatus with the loss of internet, but now I'm back and reconnected and I just updated my minecraft. I haven't played since sometime around January, and even though I read the release notes and various other things I am still a bit overwhelmed with the new features. Would anyone be willing to give me a breakdown of major updates or anything that changes the flow of the game? I saw that there was a now a hunger bar, and that you can level up etc. And that there is now a dye system in place. Also various changes to the landscape and new creatures and block types. Anything else I have missed? Thanks in advance, I hated being out of the development loop for so long, considering I have been a part of since it was only a sandbox mode.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

MrSpiffy posted:

Getting a bizarre issue
Might be that 'massive flood of exp-orbs after somebody dies' bug that should be fixed since 1.8.1.
If your server is still running 1.8 then try updating.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
^^^^^^^
Here you go.

UnCO3 posted:

New biomes: swamp (trees growing in water, much darker grass, leaves and water, lily pads, vines growing on trees, lots of clay and mushrooms), mountain (few trees, very tall), mushroom land (giant multi-block mushrooms, mycelium instead of grass, mooshroom mobs), ocean (massive, deep oceans with scattered islands), river (winding, moderately-deep bodies of water), ravine (not technically a biome, basically a canyon or crevice cut out of the ground during world creation)
New mobs: Endermen (neutral until you look directly at them, then attack if you look away, can teleport and pick up some types of block, won't attack if you're wearing a pumpkin), Mooshroom (cordyceps cows, you get red mushrooms from shearing and mushroom stew from using bowls in them), Poison Spider (small spider found in abandoned mineshafts, can poison you to drain health, can fit through 1x1 holes), Blaze (Nether-only, flying creature that shoots non-exploding fireballs), Magma Cube (Nether-only, basically a spring-like Slime), Villagers (passive, pacifistic mobs found in NPC villages), Snow Golems (manufactured allied mobs that throw snowballs), Silverfish (burst out of certain types of block, can call other silverfish out to attack, can return to block form if you run away)
New food system: eating food increases a food gauge. If it's full or nearly full you regenerate health. If it's empty you lose health (to 5 on Easy, 0.5 on Normal, death on Hard). Chickens give you Raw Chicken, Cows give you Raw Beef, these can be cooked like pork. Melon seeds can be found and used to grow melons to get melon slices. Zombies now drop Rotting Meat. Raw Chicken and Rotting Meat can poison you, which drains your food bar. There's also some hidden 'food saturation' subsystem where different foods will raise a hidden buffer food bar by different amounts, keeping you full for longer if you eat well.
New light: basically it now goes black->blue->red->white rather than black->white.
Creative Mode: you can fly, are invincible and have access to a lot of blocks and items.
New structures: abandoned mineshafts (long series of winding tunnels with plank struts, scattered minecart rails and the occasional chest with decent loot, as well as spiderwebs and poison spider spawners), strongholds (currently only spawn three times per map, big subterranean silverfish-infested complexes made of a) boring corridors and b) the occasional interesting room), nether ruins (huge complexes of bridges and rooms made from dark red bricks, occasionally have Blaze spawners), NPC villages (groups of simple buildings like houses, libraries, churches, granaries and forges along with small farms, inhabited by Villagers)
New blocks: iron rails, vines, lily pads, window panes, stone bricks, mossy stony brick, cracked stone brick, silverfish-infested stone brick, nether brick, nether fence, nether brick stairs, red and brown giant mushrooms blocks (you can grow them from mushrooms using bonemeal)
New items: blaze rods (dropped by blazes), ghast tears (dropped by ghasts), gold nuggets (dropped by zombie pigmen), netherwort (grows in the Nether on Soul Sand)
Experience: you get it from killing things and, in the v1.9 pre-release, jumping. Currently useless, kills servers because hundreds of xp orbs flood out of someone when they die.
Controls: you can't hold space to repeatedly jump, or hold leftmouse to repeatedly hit things, in the v1.9 pre-release

Finally, the hitbox for fences will be fixed, and they will attach to whole blocks, like glass panes. http://twitter.com/#!/jeb_/status/117688347803136000

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Teaches of Peaches posted:

Those look wonderful.

I have been on a bit of a gaming hiatus with the loss of internet, but now I'm back and reconnected and I just updated my minecraft. I haven't played since sometime around January, and even though I read the release notes and various other things I am still a bit overwhelmed with the new features. Would anyone be willing to give me a breakdown of major updates or anything that changes the flow of the game? I saw that there was a now a hunger bar, and that you can level up etc. And that there is now a dye system in place. Also various changes to the landscape and new creatures and block types. Anything else I have missed? Thanks in advance, I hated being out of the development loop for so long, considering I have been a part of since it was only a sandbox mode.

Some big ones, off the top of my head:

Wolves: Neutral mobs that spawn in forest or taiga biomes. Feed one a bunch of bones and it will be your friend. Friendly wolves will follow you around and fight anything that you attack (except Creepers), or that attacks you. Their pathing (like everything else) is very :downs:, often causing them to fall off cliffs or into lava.

Beds: Craft with three wool on top of three wooden planks. Sleeping in a (safe) bed fastforwards to sunrise and sets your spawn point in that location. Note that beds directly adjacent to an external wall may not be safe.

Maps: Craft with eight paper around a compass. Maps are centered on the location where you crafted them and are initially blank, but will get filled in as you explore with the map out.

Pistons: They push and pull things, and are activated by redstone. Somewhat complex, so you should probably consult the wiki.

Endermen: Neutral mobs that become hostile when you focus your crosshairs on them. As soon as you look away, they quickly run/teleport to you and deal massive damage. Also, they move random blocks around.

Map Features:
-Villages are currently abandoned (but have weird, useless NPCs in the 1.9 pre-release) and if you find one early on, they are a convenient lootable source of wood and wheat.
-Abandoned mineshafts are confusing mazes of wooden arches and minecart tracks, but they have occasional chests filled with stuff like iron, redstone, and the new melon seeds. They also contain poison spiders which are basically the poison headcrabs from HL2.
-Strongholds are limited to three per world, within a certain radius of your spawn. I can't say much else because I've never found one myself.
-Underground ravines are long, deep, narrow chasms that go almost to the bedrock layer. Some of them reach the surface, others have to be found through caves or digging. Usually they contain lava.

Hunger: Food no longer heals you. Instead, it fills a hunger meter which depletes mostly through movement. When your hunger meter is at 9 or 10, you slowly regenerate health. When your food meter is empty, you slowly lose health until it reaches 5 (Easy), 0.5 (Normal), or death (Hard). It sounds annoying, but it's fairly trivial to stay on top of, especially with all the new food sources and having food that stacks.

More stuff here.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed a total lack of wolves? I can't find them anywhere. Am I missing some way to find them?

Teaches of Peaches
Aug 10, 2010

Huh!? What? Right...
Thanks guys, ready to sink my teeth into the the new features.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Is it just me, or has anyone else noticed a total lack of wolves? I can't find them anywhere. Am I missing some way to find them?

I found some in 1.9 pre. On a sidenote, I found out what I hate more than creepers. Underwater creepers. :argh:

Teaches of Peaches
Aug 10, 2010

Huh!? What? Right...
Sorry, double-post. Stupid internet.

Teaches of Peaches fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 25, 2011

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I've found some, but upon checking the 1.9 world/area I thought it was in, I'm not seeing any anymore. :shobon:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Also, is there any way to disable jumping giving experience, watching the drat bar fluctuate all the time is annoying as gently caress.

sinekumquat
Jun 12, 2005

the most dangerous philosopher in the west
College Slice

We are simple villagers.

Just humble melon farmers.

Who worship the God of the Harvest: Dionysssssssssssssssss

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Verdafolio posted:

We are simple villagers.

Just humble melon farmers.

Who worship the God of the Harvest: Dionysssssssssssssssss

Please tell me those are jack o'lanterns and not just pumpkins.

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Also, is there any way to disable jumping giving experience, watching the drat bar fluctuate all the time is annoying as gently caress.
Edit the bar out of minecraft.jar > gui > icons.png and create a zip-file with only a 'gui' named folder and the edited icons.png in it to get a 'invisible-exp-bar' texture-pack.

westborn fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

I wish instead of people posting pictures of blank landscapes ad infinitum people would instead post pictures of things they built using those landscapes.