Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009
Decided last night that after over a week of sleeping in the recliner I would try sleeping in my bed. (My poor husband is writing his master's thesis and is very stressed and in need of cuddles.) I made it until about 2 AM and when I woke up and tried to reposition myself it was as if my hips had just locked up--I could barely move them at all and when I tried it HURT. So back to the recliner for me. :( It's comfy, but am I stuck sleeping here until I have the baby? I wanted to try to get at least some bed time in before I have to abandon it for third-trimester heartburn and breathing difficulty, but it doesn't seem like this hip pain is ever going to end. The nausea ended, the exhaustion ended, why won't this hip pain end :argh:

I ordered this maternity belt in an effort to help during the day. My cousin lent me this one to try, but it was just so uncomfortable and the straps showed under all my clothes, and the belt part was too narrow and not supportive enough and bent in half under my belly. I hope I haven't wasted money here but I'm getting desperate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opie
Nov 28, 2000
Check out my TFLC Excuse Log!
Did anyone have a retained placenta? Or bleeding (generally light) for more than 6 weeks postpartum? I've been to the doctor and will be scheduling an ultrasound if I'm still bleeding on Monday, which seems very likely at this point.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Chicken McNobody posted:

Decided last night that after over a week of sleeping in the recliner I would try sleeping in my bed. (My poor husband is writing his master's thesis and is very stressed and in need of cuddles.) I made it until about 2 AM and when I woke up and tried to reposition myself it was as if my hips had just locked up--I could barely move them at all and when I tried it HURT. So back to the recliner for me. :( It's comfy, but am I stuck sleeping here until I have the baby? I wanted to try to get at least some bed time in before I have to abandon it for third-trimester heartburn and breathing difficulty, but it doesn't seem like this hip pain is ever going to end. The nausea ended, the exhaustion ended, why won't this hip pain end :argh:

I ordered this maternity belt in an effort to help during the day. My cousin lent me this one to try, but it was just so uncomfortable and the straps showed under all my clothes, and the belt part was too narrow and not supportive enough and bent in half under my belly. I hope I haven't wasted money here but I'm getting desperate.

My hips were loving killing me earlier this week. It was impossible to get truly comfortable in any position at night. It's eased up a little, and I think it's from using my woven wrap to cinch my hips in and help support my belly. Do you have a ring sling that you could borrow until your new maternity belt gets delivered? The wrap was a ton of fabric to deal with, but it was what I had on hand, and I was desperate to get some relief.

I've got another appointment with the midwife tomorrow. I'm trying not to focus on weight gain too much, but it's hard not to sometimes. Eating Haagen-Dazs in my underwear this evening has left me feeling a tad guilty, but it was drat good.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I'm not really sure if this is an E/N post, or here, but I figured here because it's based on baby stuff.

My sister is throwing my baby shower. There was never any doubt or negotiation about it. She also threw HER OWN shower with her kid, because then it would be the way she wanted it. I have a very simple, give-no-shits attitude about my occasions, and I don't really like being the center of attention for too long. I thought my sister understood that, but it is becoming obvious that this is not the case, as it was when she helped set up my wedding.

Yesterday was her daughter's 2nd birthday. I've STILL been working 40-50 hour weeks, on my feet at 30 weeks pregnant, and STRESSING about the fact that we still don't have any sort of medical insurance, and the county is dragging us along on assistance. I haven't had time to think about what to buy her daughter, or when I could actually haul my rear end off of the couch and buy something for her. Plus, I really got told about the party about 3 days before it happened. I just got this text from her this morning:

"Ok, I didn't want to say anything and seem greedy, but it's still bothering me. It hurts my feelings that you also didn't get *child* anything for her birthday. If it's a money thing you could have made her something or got her something from the dollar store and she would have been thrilled. I kind of feel like "here I am throwing you and elaborate expensive baby shower AND buying you baby gifts (even though we're broke as hell) and you couldn't get my daughter anything for her bday?!" I know I don't have to get you anything or spend lots of money, but I do it because I want to. So it hurts that you and (cheap rear end family memebers) didn't want to get *Child* anything"

And now I kinda want to say, "you know what, gently caress it. I didn't ask for some elaborate and expensive shower, and I loving asked you NOT TO MAKE A BIG DEAL OR SPEND TOO MUCH, and now you're holding it over my head because your 2 year old didn't get another gift?" but that would cause EVEN more problems.

I love my sister, and normally we get along great, we have usually an awesome relationship, but this has really pissed me off. I'm not entirely sure how to deal, and now I have a forbidding feeling the whole shower is going to be not what I wanted, and I'm going to resent the whole thing because it's not what I want, but what my sister THINKS I SHOULD want.

(I have been planning to buy a gift for the niece, I just needed a day off to do it, like today...)

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Ask me why I'm not squatting.

Amykinz posted:

[...]

And now I kinda want to say, "you know what, gently caress it. I didn't ask for some elaborate and expensive shower, and I loving asked you NOT TO MAKE A BIG DEAL OR SPEND TOO MUCH, and now you're holding it over my head because your 2 year old didn't get another gift?" but that would cause EVEN more problems.

[...]

(I have been planning to buy a gift for the niece, I just needed a day off to do it, like today...)

If you say this nicer, I don't see what problem your sister should have. It seems like she just needs to be reminded of what you're going through. Also, she reminds me of several people who show they care by spending money and will go into debt to keep a certain status so if that's why they are broke I can't feel bad.

And I have to say that I have my own baby shower drama. I'm apparently having three different showers because my mom feels like her part of the family got dis-invited from the shower that my mother-in-law is throwing. I feel bad for my m.i.l. because my mom was looking for a reason to be affronted but she did phrase some things wrong.

edit: And I can't imagine a two year old saying "Why didn't Auntie Amy get me anything? Doesn't she love me?" unless they are already a spoiled brat. Are two year olds even capable of understanding birthdays? It's been a while since I've been around kids.

Tesla Insanely Coil fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Sep 22, 2011

legbeard
Jun 13, 2006

Amykinz posted:

In my opinion, you should tell her the truth. You've been busy, help her understand. She thinks it was a money thing, and it was actually a time thing. Or maybe you were just to tired to put in the effort, in which case you should tell her that and then apologize. Just forget all the other bullshit drama stuff about the shower, it has nothing to do with the niece and why you didn't buy her a present yet.

Doom Catcher
Sep 11, 2001

Sometimes, I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion!
Just tell her you work x amount of hours a week and are pregnant and exhausted and have been waiting to have some actual free time to buy the gift. It is pretty rude she brought it up and I wouldn't be as nice, but I don't recommend being an rear end in a top hat like me :)

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Eh, I can see why she is hurt. For one, it's really easy to be super-defensive of your own child when faced with slights, imagined or real. And even though you haven't asked for an elaborate baby shower, she thinks she is doing something really nice for you by throwing it. And since she did want a big one, she probably thinks you would, too. Regardless, I would just be honest and say that time got away from you, and you were planning to go on your day off and get something for her daughter.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I did get a gift for my niece today, as I've always planned to, and I told my sister the whole situation when she texted me. She's known of our insurance difficulties and my work hours/exhaustion. She "felt bad for *niece*" even though she's "too young to understand why auntie didn't get her a gift".

I was (and still am) mainly pissed at the fact that she's holding something I specifically asked her not to do over my head, and now I know that I'm going to be sitting through an elaborate shower that is what she wants me to want, rather than what I want. And she'll put it all on Facebook. But, calling the shower off and throwing it myself would cause huge problems in the family, so I'm just gonna have to suck it up and deal. I'm just full of pregnancy and stupid and it's kinda hard to take right now.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Amykinz posted:

I did get a gift for my niece today, as I've always planned to, and I told my sister the whole situation when she texted me. She's known of our insurance difficulties and my work hours/exhaustion. She "felt bad for *niece*" even though she's "too young to understand why auntie didn't get her a gift".

She's also too young to understand THAT auntie didn't get her a gift for her party, unless her mother went out of her way to tell her. She's two. She had a party. There were lots of presents. It was all totally overwhelming and she didn't have a loving CLUE of what was going on or who gave her what. Giving her a gift separately, away from the party, is what will actually make it special anyway. It's a total rear end in a top hat move to make a two year old's birthday gift into a THING, particularly when it comes down to you providing a 3 or 4 hour window in which the gift is supposed to be given. I mean, JESUS, you have to be willing to give people at least a few days afterwards to get their poo poo together and go "Oh crap, life ran away with me and I REALLY need to get that thing bought/wrapped/into the mail.", particularly if you didn't bother to plan the party and make sure everyone knew about it more than 3 days prior to it occurring.

Doom Catcher
Sep 11, 2001

Sometimes, I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion!
So. Cloth diapers.
There are too many choices. Also they are not cheap upfront, but I'm ok with that as they will save us in the long run.

I just have no idea where to start in picking. And nobody I know in real life even knows that cloth diapers are an option.

I am about to get a washer and dryer (yay!!!) so I'd much rather have a stash instead of a service ... Though to be honest the local place is pennies compared to what I'd spend monthly in disposables soooooo

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.

Doom Catcher posted:

So. Cloth diapers.
There are too many choices. Also they are not cheap upfront, but I'm ok with that as they will save us in the long run.

I just have no idea where to start in picking. And nobody I know in real life even knows that cloth diapers are an option.

I am about to get a washer and dryer (yay!!!) so I'd much rather have a stash instead of a service ... Though to be honest the local place is pennies compared to what I'd spend monthly in disposables soooooo

I'd be interested in getting some feedback on cloth diapers, too. I'd been leaning toward FuzziBunz or another AIO, but that was mostly for convenience and I read that AIOs can have shorter lives because the waterproof layer is attached to the absorbent layer. Do prefolds plus covers have a longer life? Is there a major difference between fitted diapers that need covers and AIOs? I know I probably don't want pocket diapers because I don't want to deal with stuffing a pocket, so at least that part was easy for me.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Doom Catcher posted:

So. Cloth diapers.

If you're interested in doing prefolds with covers, your local service may be a great place to start. I bought all my prefolds from a local service. They sell used diapers for next to nothing when they are perfectly serviceable but for whatever reason no longer usable for the service (like staining or a tiny little wear spot or they just "look old"). Plus, I got the benefit of not having to wash them 5 or 6 times before use to soften them up and get them really absorbent.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

but no one can talk to a horse, of course.
Hey, I'm a cloth diaper freak right now! Getting everything together for our little dude, due October 30th. Our awesome friends/family/coworkers threw us two very nice baby showers, and now I'm inventorying and figuring out what else we need.

We're going with adjustable/one-size pocket diapers, in the hope that it'll be cost-effective since they should fit all the way into potty training. I put some BumGenius and Flips on my registry, and some of them arrived today! They seem super nice and soft. I also have a Happy Heinies; again, very soft. Pocket diapers seem to be all the rage right now. Convenient and easy to use, many are adjustable/one-size-fits-all, the absorbency can be customized by sticking different insert in the pocket, and they dry pretty fast. SunBaby diapers are really inexpensive pocket diapers and people seem to like them. I actually just placed my order for 12 of them today. :)

I REALLY like the idea of Flip diapers, and was going to go with those for the majority of the stash, but the Sunbaby ones won out due to cost. I'm still going to get more Flips, though. The covers can be reused, for one thing, and you can get disposable inserts for them for travel or the convenience of other people watching your kid.

The one-size diapers apparently don't really fit babies that well until they're like 10+ pounds (depending on the baby), so a lot of people use prefolds with covers until then. This is pretty inexpensive and the prefolds have lots of uses (burp cloths, dust cloths, inserts/doublers in pocket diapers). Chinese or Indian prefold diapers are supposed to be great; I have 12 OsoCozy Indian ones that are nice and thick. I also have 24 Babies R Us brand prefolds; they're flimsy by comparison but will hopefully still be usable. I don't know a lot about covers; Thirsties and Bummis are popular. We're going to try the Kushies covers available at Babies R Us since we have store credit there. If they suck, we'll go with Thirsties.

Hope that helps, or at least doesn't increase confusion. I'm still working out everything we need. In addition to the diapers themselves, I still need laundry bags, wet bags, cloth wipes and stuff to make wipe solution.

Here are some resources I've used to try to figure all this out:

How many cloth diapers do I need?

Cloth diaper detergent chart

Prepping cloth diapers for use

Cloth Diapering 101 (a series of Youtube vids that go through the different diaper options)

I registered for cloth diapers at Babies R Us and Amazon, and some people actually got them for us (despite not really understanding). :) I also have a mother-in-law and an aunt who cloth diapered the old-fashioned way, so they're fascinated by all the new options.

Edit:

vanessa posted:

I'd been leaning toward FuzziBunz or another AIO, but that was mostly for convenience and I read that AIOs can have shorter lives because the waterproof layer is attached to the absorbent layer. Do prefolds plus covers have a longer life? Is there a major difference between fitted diapers that need covers and AIOs? I know I probably don't want pocket diapers because I don't want to deal with stuffing a pocket, so at least that part was easy for me.
From my reading, all-in-ones take forever to dry (you may have to put them through two or more dry cycles) and tend to be bulky. They also seem expensive, although I guess they're really about the same price as pockets.

Prefolds and covers are supposed to have a nice long life if you line dry the covers (they shouldn't take long to dry). Another factor I've heard about when it comes to long-lasting-ness is Velcro versus snap fastenings. The Velcro might lose its stickiness over time, while the snaps should stay solid unless you rip the fabric or something.

Maybe check out Flip diapers? They seem like the bomb from everything I've read. Again, I went with the cheaper Sunbaby pockets for most of my "stash" (haha, I have a stash), but will be getting more Flips. I have two Flip covers line drying at this very moment!

The Young Marge fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 23, 2011

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
One-sizers may not fit newborns, or even longer than newborn if you end up with a pipsqueak (like I did). Just a word of warning. :)

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004
I think I've decided to go with the GroVia hybrids. I really like the idea of just washing the insert and being able to use the same cover for a few changes. Plus the option to have disposable inserts makes it seem like it would be handy when out on the go.

What sold me on the GroVia vs Flip was that the GroVia have snaps to hold the liner in place, where the Flip do not, so it seems like the liner could move around.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRQQIZSTlrI
That video illustrates what I'm talking about really well and helped convince me one way vs the other.

Keep in mind I haven't actually used these products, or even had a baby quite yet, so who knows what'll happen once he's actually here. Hopefully the GroVia's fit him well and work out.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

limegrnxj posted:

I think I've decided to go with the GroVia hybrids. I really like the idea of just washing the insert and being able to use the same cover for a few changes. Plus the option to have disposable inserts makes it seem like it would be handy when out on the go.

What sold me on the GroVia vs Flip was that the GroVia have snaps to hold the liner in place, where the Flip do not, so it seems like the liner could move around.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRQQIZSTlrI
That video illustrates what I'm talking about really well and helped convince me one way vs the other.

Keep in mind I haven't actually used these products, or even had a baby quite yet, so who knows what'll happen once he's actually here. Hopefully the GroVia's fit him well and work out.

Definitely haven't had issues with the liner moving around on the Flips with a super active toddler.

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004
That's so good to know, I couldn't decide how much a potential problem it actually is.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

The Young Marge posted:

Lots of diaper stuff

If you have a chance after your baby is a little older, I'd love to know how the Sunbabys work for you...they and Alva Babys (another Chinese brand) seem to be fairly well-loved in the online cloth diapering communities, and I'm curious. Actually, I just ordered an Alva Baby off someone who barely used theirs, but since I'm not due until Thanksgiving, it'll be a while until I can try mine out.

Stash-wise, I've got about 3 dozen newborn and infant prefolds on their way, 6 various newborn covers, 6 various small covers, and 5 small pocket Fuzzibunz to start out with. I'm hoping prefolds and covers work well enough for us because they are fairly cheap, but I hope pockets like the Fuzzibunz work well for travelling and such (both our families are out of state, so I am sure we will travelling back and forth quite a bit on airplanes and in cars). Of course, one-size pockets sound even more convenient, hence my eagerness to get ahold of some Sunbabys or something since they are so cheap.

Also, nearly everything I've bought is secondhand. Especially the newborn stuff--it seems most babies grow so fast that sometimes parents don't even have a chance to use what they've bought. Extra-small size Thirsties covers are $11.50 new on Amazon, and I bought two brand-new ones, tags still attached, from another mom for $6.25 each (shipping included!) because she just never had a chance to use them and wanted them gone from her stash. So if you don't mind buying or spending time looking for secondhand stuff, you can make those upfront costs even cheaper.

Susan B. Antimony
Aug 25, 2008

Banana Cat posted:

If you have a chance after your baby is a little older, I'd love to know how the Sunbabys work for you.

Pete is ten months old, and we have some Sunbabies--they are okay, although they're at the bottom of the stash. Honestly, if I had it to do all over again, I would do all prefolds and covers; nothing else is significantly more convenient, and prefolds are cheap.

I got a wide variety of diapers to try: we have Sunbabies and FuzzBunz, as well as unbleached cotton prefolds, inserts, flip covers, thirsties covers, and Best Bottom covers. Heck, we even have a couple of fitted diapers, which I love but which are beyond expensive. And if I were going back now, I would buy only prefolds and Best Bottom covers.

But the Sunbabies work fine! They're just sort of cheap looking and not excellently sewn.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
Banana Cat, you may want to consider disposables when you're traveling. I don't know how long your trips would be, but schlepping a bunch of cloth with you on a plane is going to be a pain, because for all their awesomeness, they take up a lot of space in your bag and you'll want to pack way more than you think you'll need in case of delays and cancellations.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

but no one can talk to a horse, of course.
So, what is the absolutely cheapest option for newborn/small sized covers to be used for prefolds? $13 + shipping for a Thirsties Duo Wrap seems like a lot when it's just going to be for a short time until he fits into one-size diapers.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I actually like the regular Thirsties wraps better than the duos, and they're $11.25 on greemountaindiapers.com.

Alternatively, make an account on diaperswappers.com and get some used ones.

edit: Or try eBay.

Fire In The Disco fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 23, 2011

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Susan B. Antimony posted:

Pete is ten months old, and we have some Sunbabies--they are okay, although they're at the bottom of the stash. Honestly, if I had it to do all over again, I would do all prefolds and covers; nothing else is significantly more convenient, and prefolds are cheap.

This is good to know. Honestly, I was thinking that the pocket diapers would mostly be for when family or friends come visit (or we visit them) and want to help out with the baby--no one else we know cloth diapers and there are a few certain people I have in mind for whom prefolds and covers would probably be too intimidating, judging from their "Why on EARTH are you cloth diapering?!" reactions. I would like to stay with prefolds and covers as much as possible since it's so inexpensive.

Chickalicious, we'll definitely consider travelling with disposables. We can drive to my in-law's place in 3-4 hours depending on traffic, but my family lives clear across the country so it's easily two 4 hour flights, not even counting layovers and such. Dealing with 8-10+ hours of cloth diapers on an airplane sounds like a nightmare!

And The Young Marge, yeah--the cheap new, but secondhand, Thirsties covers I mentioned in my last post I got off diaperswappers.com. I've seen a lot of plain white Prowrap or Bummis covers go for $4 or $5 each, too, if you don't care about fancy colors or designs.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn
Is there any way to avoid or 'fix' food aversions? It turns out that chicken instantly makes me sick. I can't even stand the smell of it cooked. It makes me nauseated just thinking about it. Unfortunately, chicken is nearly unavoidable in a household that eats meat. I'm finding other meats to be okay, but less palatable than pre-preggo.

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010
I had an aversion to all meat for the first few months and still find some (steak especially) to be revolting. I didn't find a way to avoid the problem, just avoided the things that made me sick. Over time it started to fade with the exception of steak. I just can't do it. Sorry you got an aversion, they suck majorly.

Question: Since I have to go back to work after the baby is born I'm going to be pumping/storing and plan to use the Lansinoh storage bags. Does anyone know if they fit the Playtex Nurser bottles well? I'd like to do as little transfer of breast milk as possible and waste as little money as possible also.

Counselor Sugarbutt
Feb 8, 2010
Hello! I've mainly been lurking on this thread since I found out I had a bun in the oven a few weeks ago. I'm seven weeks along and really appreciating this thread. It's been very helpful. So hey!

Gumby Orgy posted:

Is there any way to avoid or 'fix' food aversions? It turns out that chicken instantly makes me sick. I can't even stand the smell of it cooked. It makes me nauseated just thinking about it. Unfortunately, chicken is nearly unavoidable in a household that eats meat. I'm finding other meats to be okay, but less palatable than pre-preggo.

I don't know if there's a way to avoid it, but I hear this may sometimes pass by the second trimester. In the meantime, maybe try to eat alternate sources of protein, like soy/tofu/yogurt/legumes/beans, etc. Maybe you could also see if other people in the house would be willing to cook more of the foods you can stomach better. For example, not cooking chicken, but cooking another meat that is less nasty to you and incorporate more vegetarian dishes with the main meal.

I'm having the opposite food aversion. I can't stand vegetables, especially green ones. I usually love having salads from the salad bar or veggies on my pizza, but now they taste rancid to me. Fruit is ok, so I'm going to try to eat more of that. But, really, all I want is meat, cheese, chicken, mashed potatoes, pizza and fried foods. Oh, and salsa. So much for eating healthy during pregnancy!

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
Hey soon-to-be-moms, Babysteals has a pretty good deal on the best swaddling blankets ever (in my opinion): http://babysteals.stealnetwork.com/

These are super resilient and stretchy. You can get a nice,tight, lasting swaddle AND they're really good as a nursing cover too because they're light and breathable. I swear I don't work for them, I just really love these blankets.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.

Gumby Orgy posted:

I've had really bad food aversions to almost everything. Luckily there's some stuff where the aversion was only intermittent because I hadn't eaten in a while and needed to eat something gentle before tackling the heavier food item. But I currently will not eat most sandwiches, lettuce salads, plain chicken, Indian food, Chinese food, most Mexican food, and a bunch of other foods because just thinking about them makes me want to hurl.

If you have cravings, try to follow your cravings as much as you can as long as they're healthy. Fresh fruit is always good for me, and I find that I enjoy simply made fish (which I do remember to limit to only a few servings per week, dang mercury). If I'm not really craving anything, I just try to eat what I can, when I can. Small, simple, bland meals every few hours seems to keep me doing okay. I just started my 14th week, and I've been told that it gets better during the 2nd trimester, so my fingers are crossed.

Otherwise, you could do what my mom suggested when I told her about my food aversions: "Learn how to hold your nose while you eat, and eat quickly." I think she meant it as a joke, but with her I never know.

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!
Any advice on the nighttime leg cramps? Last night I swear I was up every hour or so, between getting up to pee and awful cramps in my legs. I already sleep with a body pillow and that's helped the general discomfort but this crap is terrible. I can get them to stop when they start by stretching but they keep coming back several times a night. Now today all my leg muscles are sore from locking up all night. :( And I still have almost four months to go.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

FretforyourLatte posted:

Any advice on the nighttime leg cramps? Last night I swear I was up every hour or so, between getting up to pee and awful cramps in my legs. I already sleep with a body pillow and that's helped the general discomfort but this crap is terrible. I can get them to stop when they start by stretching but they keep coming back several times a night. Now today all my leg muscles are sore from locking up all night. :( And I still have almost four months to go.

Try upping your calcium intake. I ended up going with a calcium supplement about midway through my pregnancy and my leg cramps totally went away.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

You may need more potassium. Eat more bananas or take a supplement.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
I'm at 30 weeks now, and have a molar that is hurting badly. It's infected and needs to be pulled. I'm concerned about the risks of getting the tooth pulled (x-rays, novicaine, pain relief after the extraction), but the pain is really bad and I can't sleep or eat, and an infection could cause problems for me and the baby. Which is the better option, take the risks of the extraction, or 'deal' with the pain and infection until the baby is born?

Everyone says, "oh, just ask your OB". I am poor, I have to go to a practice of doctors. The doctor walks in, and asks me how I think the pregnancy is going while they read my chart, then they listen to the heartbeat and measure me and send me on my way. I don't have "my doctor" and there is no advice nurse to call and ask questions. I'm about at my wits end, here guys.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Amykinz posted:

I'm at 30 weeks now, and have a molar that is hurting badly. It's infected and needs to be pulled. I'm concerned about the risks of getting the tooth pulled (x-rays, novicaine, pain relief after the extraction), but the pain is really bad and I can't sleep or eat, and an infection could cause problems for me and the baby. Which is the better option, take the risks of the extraction, or 'deal' with the pain and infection until the baby is born?

Everyone says, "oh, just ask your OB". I am poor, I have to go to a practice of doctors. The doctor walks in, and asks me how I think the pregnancy is going while they read my chart, then they listen to the heartbeat and measure me and send me on my way. I don't have "my doctor" and there is no advice nurse to call and ask questions. I'm about at my wits end, here guys.
Ask the dentist what his opinion is, he'll be well aware of the restrictions of pregnancy. Either way, do NOT just deal with the infection, at the very least you need to get antibiotics for it.

Dr. Octagon
Aug 12, 2008

Ride or Die Bitch, Esq.

Amykinz posted:

Definitely call the dentist. For what it's worth, I worked with an MD/DDS during some of my graduate work at a medical school, and she was adamant that dental work is safe during the third trimester - I actually helped her design a lecture for medical students regarding oral health during pregnancy. Although novocaine does cross the placenta, dentists can give you the smallest recommended dosage, and the same goes for antibiotics you might need to combat the infection. The amount of radiation in a single dental x-ray is not considerable, especially at this stage of your pregnancy when organogenesis is complete. I'd honestly be more concerned about the infection spreading and making you seriously ill, and the stress and pain can't be good for you and the baby.

Also, if it makes you feel any better... the practice of OBs I've been going to is considered the best in my area, and I've had the same experience with appointments. Not one of them has even asked me about a birth plan (I'm at 38 weeks now), and out of 5 doctors, I've only met one of them more than once. I know that my appointments are quick because my pregnancy has been uncomplicated and I haven't had any major complaints (yet), and I consider myself lucky for that, but it would've been nice to at least feel like I had a rapport with the OB delivering my child. I regret not going with the local midwifery practice.

starshine
Nov 26, 2007

Dr. Octagon posted:

I regret not going with the local midwifery practice.

I went to my OB for my first "confirm pregnancy" appointment which happened to be less than two weeks before moving from the USA to Canada. Up here, I realized my only reasonable choice for care was with a midwifery practice, and a home birth would save me a lot of money. Holy crap - in hindsight I'm so grateful for both of those things. Having experienced both OB care and midwife care, I'd recommend a midwife to anyone who can... my "short" appointments were 30-45 minutes and most were closer to an hour. The midwives answered all my questions without making me feel like I was stupid or wasting their time; they asked me about my nutrition, supplements, birth plans, fears about birth, local support, etc. Then all your [3+] appointments for the first two weeks postpartum are in your home, whether your baby was born there or in a hospital. I really hope this profession makes a re-entry into western healthcare in the coming decades, because women with low-risk pregnancies could be so much better taken care of. My midwife is 35 and has attended a full university course and over 700 births - that is an expert of their field.

Kubricize
Apr 29, 2010

starshine posted:

I went to my OB for my first "confirm pregnancy" appointment which happened to be less than two weeks before moving from the USA to Canada. Up here, I realized my only reasonable choice for care was with a midwifery practice, and a home birth would save me a lot of money. Holy crap - in hindsight I'm so grateful for both of those things. Having experienced both OB care and midwife care, I'd recommend a midwife to anyone who can... my "short" appointments were 30-45 minutes and most were closer to an hour. The midwives answered all my questions without making me feel like I was stupid or wasting their time; they asked me about my nutrition, supplements, birth plans, fears about birth, local support, etc. Then all your [3+] appointments for the first two weeks postpartum are in your home, whether your baby was born there or in a hospital. I really hope this profession makes a re-entry into western healthcare in the coming decades, because women with low-risk pregnancies could be so much better taken care of. My midwife is 35 and has attended a full university course and over 700 births - that is an expert of their field.

Can't quote this enough because it's true. I was with an OBGYN till I moved at 28 weeks and he sucked dick. Never did a glucose test, his nurses were cunts and everyone at the practice treated me like some knocked up teen slut because I was 23, and their ideal parents were like 30+. When I moved, the doctor he was supposed to refer me too never got back to me after three weeks so I went to a midwife center and begged them to take me. I end up getting a spot with a new midwife, she had finished school in May, and was going to start delivering on her own on October 1st, my due date was the 10th.

Even with a relatively 'green' ( she spent two years shadowing older midwives as part of her four year program, she treated me with more respect, and consideration that the rear end in a top hat doctors did. I had my daughter at home with no problems, and any subsequent kids I have, I will be going back to the center.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn
I chose a midwife instead of an OB. My mom at first went "But! What if you have complications!?" but quickly backed off on questioning my choice when I brought out the maternal death rates of OB/GYNs vs. midwives. So far the pregnancy is healthy, even if the morning sickness makes me feel otherwise. There is no reason to go with a surgeon unless I need to.

Revenant77
Aug 28, 2004

Not so sweet
I went to a practice of doctors but I got to see the same doctor for every prenatal appointment because I requested it. I was able to build a rapport with him. I was extremely comfortable and at ease because he felt that child birth was a natural process that should require very few interventions unless absolutely necessary. In the end it didn't matter at all since I didn't see him once during the entire labor and birth of my daughter.

Having an OBGYN doesn't have to be a bad thing. You have to find the practitioner that makes you the most comfortable, be it a OB or a midwife. Your experience is not guaranteed based on the type of practitioner you have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!
I had my first prenatal appointment with midwives, but as it turned out I had to transfer over to their partner OB/GYN practice at the hospital due to me having borderline high blood pressure and (apparently) kidney problems. Good times. It would have been nice to stick with the midwives but in my case it's much more convenient to already be at the hospital for my checkups when they decide they need to run 5000 tests on me. And I can schedule my ultrasounds on the same day as my checkups and just take the elevator upstairs and get it all done in the same place.

Re: those leg cramps, everything I have been reading indicates there is actually no connection to needing more potassium or calcium, but hey, it sure can't hurt to have more of both of them in my life and I love yogurt anyway. Didn't get them last night at least, but the night before when they were terrible and recurring was an unusual event and not a constant problem. Hopefully it won't persist like that because I've got a long way to go.