Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
I finally went and picked up Anaal Nathrakh's In the Constellation of the Black Widow. Goddamn they are so great. I wish that they were more willing to extend some songs though - there's one riff on "So Be It" that I think would really benefit from them letting it go for more than a few seconds before switching to another part of the song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

:420: :catdrugs: :420:
Do yourself a favour and pretend that the last album didn't get released :v:

Hrafn
Feb 17, 2010

Potential BFF posted:

Is anyone else a fan of Mgla? I've been on a bit of a kick lately and I wish they'd release something new. Their sound has always struck me as sort of unique but does anyone have any recommendations for something similar?

They are amazing and I'm not familiar with anyone who sounds quite like them. Have you tried Katharsis?

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Therion posted:

Do yourself a favour and pretend that the last album didn't get released :v:

There are two tracks on that album that are decent. The rest is weird bad-idea garbage.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Potential BFF posted:

Is anyone else a fan of Mgla? I've been on a bit of a kick lately and I wish they'd release something new. Their sound has always struck me as sort of unique but does anyone have any recommendations for something similar?

Hadn't heard of them until now. The opening of Groza IV knocked my socks off.

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008
Go listen to the new Midnight Odyssey album, please. It's 2 hours long, and that will drive away a lot of jerks with bad taste and no attention span, but this really is an important album. Dis Pater has a very interesting combination of synth pop (house techno, Tangerine Dream styled ambient synths) and slow building Burzum styled Black Metal. He also shows much more influence from Shoe Gaze style Black Metal this time around, but without the silly maudlin self loathing you hear in most Shoe Gaze. His gaze is definitely outward and upward. Great record.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i49Gye5euQ

Hrafn
Feb 17, 2010

RHTITE posted:

Go listen to the new Midnight Odyssey album, please. It's 2 hours long, and that will drive away a lot of jerks with bad taste and no attention span, but this really is an important album. Dis Pater has a very interesting combination of synth pop (house techno, Tangerine Dream styled ambient synths) and slow building Burzum styled Black Metal. He also shows much more influence from Shoe Gaze style Black Metal this time around, but without the silly maudlin self loathing you hear in most Shoe Gaze. His gaze is definitely outward and upward. Great record.

Midnight Odyssey is one of the most exciting projects of recent years, and this sounds like it combines all the best elements of the demos. One really doesn't feel the length of these songs, because there's always something interesting going on. Do you know how his other project "The Crevices Below" compares to this?

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

Hrafn posted:

Midnight Odyssey is one of the most exciting projects of recent years, and this sounds like it combines all the best elements of the demos. One really doesn't feel the length of these songs, because there's always something interesting going on. Do you know how his other project "The Crevices Below" compares to this?

Absolutely doesn't hold a candle to Midnight Odyssey. This project is much more guitar riff driven and focuses a lot more on his Doom Metal and new wave Goth punk influence, while still being drenched in synth. It's fully realized music, but feels like the trimmings from Midnight Odyssey sessions where his attention has wandered and his thinking strays to a more Heavy Metal mode. It's not really bad, but completely unnecessary after listening to Midnight Odyssey.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Hrafn posted:

They are amazing and I'm not familiar with anyone who sounds quite like them. Have you tried Katharsis?

I like a couple Katharsis songs but the band never struck me as sounding particularly similar to Mgla.

aliencowboy posted:

Hadn't heard of them until now. The opening of Groza IV knocked my socks off.

Groza IV is one of my favorites. Presence II and Further Down The Nest I are pretty killer as well. The albums in general are great but those songs stand out to me.

Bubble Bathory
Apr 22, 2008

HELLO, YES, THIS IS BUBBLE BATHORY. LOOKS LIKE WE'VE GOT A BADASS OVER HERE WHO CAN'T STOP POSTING ABOUT HOW MUCH HE LOVES MEMES.

THAT'S THE JOKE.

5er posted:

ChthoniC has put out something recently, 'Takasago Army'. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, being melodic black, and maybe melodic blackened by some standards.

I can't help but enjoy these guys though. Their sound is a bit reminiscent in places of early 90's Sepultura, and their vocalist alters pitch frequently. He either sounds like Max, or when he gets high pitch and screechy, it can sound like (and I acknowledge this can seem to be a detrimental comparison) Dani Filth.

They're a pretty interesting group, too. They're from Taiwan, so they have lyrics that alternate between English and Chinese. Their lyrics usually emphasize Chinese folklore, and the lead singer is a very outspoken activist for Taiwanese independence, as well as for the Tibetan, Nepalese and Uighur.

They don't have anything as cool as a discount on financing a Scion though.

I like these guys, and yeah I don't know if they're 100% appropriate for this thread but they're cool. Also similar is Anthelion, another Taiwanese extreme metal band. Dude's voice is out of this world.
Also, "ghost paint" instead of "corpse paint."

edit: I thought the WITTR Scion joke earlier was hilarious, mostly because a lot of the metal fans around here are way into stuff like them and Liturgy and yeah.

Bubble Bathory fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 27, 2011

bij
Feb 24, 2007

RHTITE posted:

I just listened to the album straight through and holy gently caress is it awesome.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

So the new Taake cd has been out a week or so now. Any opinions?

I just got to the part of track 5 where... there is a banjo solo. I have to say I really wasn't expecting that. Overall it's more of the same, which isn't a bad thing, also there's a banjo solo.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

IRQ posted:

I just got to the part of track 5 where... there is a banjo solo. I have to say I really wasn't expecting that. Overall it's more of the same, which isn't a bad thing, also there's a banjo solo.

The spaghetti-western banjo solo was the only thing in Ensiferum's last album that I liked, so I'll bite.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Came across this band today, seems like another WITTR/Weakling style band so if you're into that go ahead and check 'em out.

Ash Borer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlQET8Ymm6k

Serious Party Gods
Apr 2, 2009

IRQ posted:

I really like "Nordbundet" a lot, but the rest of the album just doesn't hit the sweet spot for me.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

RHTITE posted:

Absolutely doesn't hold a candle to Midnight Odyssey. This project is much more guitar riff driven and focuses a lot more on his Doom Metal and new wave Goth punk influence, while still being drenched in synth. It's fully realized music, but feels like the trimmings from Midnight Odyssey sessions where his attention has wandered and his thinking strays to a more Heavy Metal mode. It's not really bad, but completely unnecessary after listening to Midnight Odyssey.

I think the album is worth listening to just for The Tombs of Subterranea.

West
Jul 8, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
As a fairly new black metal enthusiast, I haven't posted in this thread yet. But I assure you, I loving LOVE Darkthrone.

I come bearing music too. My friends in the band Ghede just finished their exceptionally raw demo, and it's FREE.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

aliencowboy posted:

I've listened to ÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞÞ about a million times. What other Arckanum albums are worth checking out?

Trulen.

Don't even bother with Fran Marder except for the song 'Trulmolder', otherwise it is just a remake of Trulen except he cuts out interesting synth and overproduces it to blandness.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
So the latest Deathspell Omega album finally clicked with me and it put me in the mood to buy a shirt for some reason. I want the one with the red rays coming from the logo which is pretty rad looking but I can't for the life of me find a decent US based store to order it from. Anyone know a decent place? I'd order straight from season of mist but the lack of ssl on their site bothers me. Also, importing a shirt from france?

I know I'm like a year behind the times here but Paracletus owns.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.
Although I may be a little late to the game (released in August?), I just picked up Craft's new album Void this week after discovering gently caress The Universe last year. Holy poo poo! This is good stuff. Perfect balance of traditional scandinavian black metal with all the tremelo picking and blast beats but also with the slower black 'n roll riffs I dig. Great atmosphere. Fans of classic Darkthrone or Avsky's last album will certainly enjoy this one.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Although I may be a little late to the game (released in August?), I just picked up Craft's new album Void this week after discovering gently caress The Universe last year. Holy poo poo! This is good stuff. Perfect balance of traditional scandinavian black metal with all the tremelo picking and blast beats but also with the slower black 'n roll riffs I dig. Great atmosphere. Fans of classic Darkthrone or Avsky's last album will certainly enjoy this one.

I dunno, I like it, but I like gently caress the Universe better. Maybe work was distracting me during the black'n'roll/tremolo moments but I think FTU had more and better, and those were what got me into Craft (also a massively late convert).

edit: though I'm listening to Avsky for the first time and I like what I'm hearing. Malignant now, Scorn is up next.

Morbid Florist fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 4, 2011

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Morbid Florist posted:

I dunno, I like it, but I like gently caress the Universe better. Maybe work was distracting me during the black'n'roll/tremolo moments but I think FTU had more and better, and those were what got me into Craft (also a massively late convert).

edit: though I'm listening to Avsky for the first time and I like what I'm hearing. Malignant now, Scorn is up next.

Avsky rules. Can't go wrong with a band that has a song titled "gently caress your values, gently caress your beliefs".

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
I never thought I'd like black metal, but here I am.

Wolves in the Throne Room were my entry point (Diadem, specifically) but then I've been really enjoying Drudkh (love Drudkh) and Deathspell Omega and Altar of Plagues. And that album by Pyha was pretty great! I guess I like depressive and atmospheric BM? I'm not very good at distinguishing what's what and why.

Based on what I've read in the thread, next I want to check out Strid, Windir, Immortal, Cthonic and Sigh.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Definitely get a copy of Weakling's Dead as Dreams (their only album) if you can. It's an awesome album, and both WittR and Altar seem to be influenced by them. It's going to be tough to find, though. It's been out of print for a while, as far as I know.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

CNN Sports Ticker posted:

Wolves in the Throne Room were my entry point (Diadem, specifically) but then I've been really enjoying Drudkh (love Drudkh) and Deathspell Omega and Altar of Plagues. And that album by Pyha was pretty great! I guess I like depressive and atmospheric BM? I'm not very good at distinguishing what's what and why.

Based on what I've read in the thread, next I want to check out Strid, Windir, Immortal, Cthonic and Sigh.

Check out Mar de Grises, Moonsorrow, and Enslaved.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Definitely get a copy of Weakling's Dead as Dreams (their only album) if you can. It's an awesome album, and both WittR and Altar seem to be influenced by them. It's going to be tough to find, though. It's been out of print for a while, as far as I know.

Weakling is indeed the most logical progression from Wolves in the Throne Room.

Also check out Withered and Krallice (they have a similar atmosphere).

If you want to go off the deep end with depressing black metal, you can go with stuff like Xasthur, Gris, and Shining (the one from Sweden).

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Listen to Wrath of the Weak, smoke some weed before you do it too.

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

:420: :catdrugs: :420:
Evilfeast is the best choice for walking through a forest while stoned though :v:

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

Therion posted:

Evilfeast is the best choice for walking through a forest while stoned though :v:

Right on, also check out Marblebog if nothing for the Evilfeast split Isenheimen / Abyss Calls.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Now I've got a hell of a list to check out. Thanks! Gris, Moonsorrow and Xasthur were kind of on my list anyway and I'll try and listen to some of the others.

One thing I'm loving about black metal is that for a musical genre that originated in a fairly specific time and place it's pretty global. Maybe that's just music and metal in general, but I keep finding out about bands from different places.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
(Crossposting with the regular metal thread)

You guys liked my ode to Hurricane Irene, "Hurricane Slayin'," and you guys liked my Ensrug stuff, SO... you guys get to be the first to hear a new Ensrug track:

I humbly present for your enjoyment, a blackened song of loss and solemnity,

Ensrug - "Ghost of Verdance"

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008
"Depressive" Black Metal is a serious cul de sac when it comes to musical quality. Most of it resides on the same level as any sad song you'd hear on the radio, just with more pointless interludes and distortion. It's generally pretty boring. You're better off going for stuff where the band explores that despair and from there, looks to something higher than wallowing in personal drama. The best bet for this is the first 4 Burzum albums.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.

QPZIL posted:

(Crossposting with the regular metal thread)

You guys liked my ode to Hurricane Irene, "Hurricane Slayin'," and you guys liked my Ensrug stuff, SO... you guys get to be the first to hear a new Ensrug track:

I humbly present for your enjoyment, a blackened song of loss and solemnity,

Ensrug - "Ghost of Verdance"

This is really loving good man, it's almost like Agalloch with more aggression I feel.

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009
Nice song, odd production which doesn't lend itself nicely to the echo. Good guitar tones. Interesting logo, who is the fan of Dark Fortress?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Cold Day posted:

Nice song, odd production which doesn't lend itself nicely to the echo. Good guitar tones. Interesting logo, who is the fan of Dark Fortress?
Thanks for the feedback.

Christophe Szpajdel is the fan, I suppose. He designed the logo.

Plasma1010
Jul 2, 2007

by T. Mascis

RHTITE posted:

"Depressive" Black Metal is a serious cul de sac when it comes to musical quality.

I'm not even sure how it is defined other then people's personal blogs. I check them out to see if something stands out from the usual drone guitar stuff, but then I've seen Drudkh, Marblebog, Strid and Lustre on them and in that case I guess I'd have to say I like some of the stuff but again, not sure how it is defined.

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Try some Nyktalgia, it's pretty tight musically http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRhsIKCAovo

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.

Plasma1010 posted:

I'm not even sure how it is defined other then people's personal blogs.

The only definition I can come up with is that it's like any other black metal, but much more prone to clean guitar bits, and the vocals sound like the singer is close to tears.

Cold Day
Jan 16, 2009

Based off the initial bands you mentioned I wouldn't go about the latter acts who are more straight black metal.

You could say DBSM is an off-shoot of Atmospheric BM but with a single focused mood for the music and slight musical differences (droning chords, dissonance, interludes, clean guitars, different vocal style)

I don't listen to BM anymore but off the top of my head - these were my favorites of Atmospheric which really have a distinct and interesting feel/mood to them:

Darkestrah - Epos (You WILL like this)
Clair Cassis - Self Titled or Luxury Absolute (EP)

DBSM is a world of mediocrity but there are most definitely certainly the gems.
Probably a good idea to jump on last fm for the tag and check out the bands on Youtube. Or maybe look for Abyssic Hate :)

Finally, with both genres is a very very fine line which everyone has their own idea on what is and what is not. For example some people might say Walknut or Windir is great Atmospheric BM while personally (a others) think that the name and style is kept to bands very similar to WITTR/Drudkh/Darkestrah who have a very distinct and unique sound, mostly found through folky roots. Which is why you'll also get recommended Pagan/Folk BM which at the end of the day just doesn't hold up to your expectations. I suggest looking through Youtube clips before getting anything you are recommended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexbomb
Jul 22, 2007
This bomb's for lovin' - you can shoot it far.
Here's a bm band from my area - Yaotl Mictlan. I'm not sure if they've been mentioned yet in the thread, but they are a Spanish-speaking bm band themed around the Aztecs. They're pretty excellent live, too. If my friends in Winterlore ever get their demo recorded, I'll see if I can't sneak some of that on here too.

Yaotl Mictlan - Huelitiyotl Mexica
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jpnCJJ9mMM

Sorry if this is a repost, though.