Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
I am sure this is something simple but I have been looking to fix it all morning and coming up short. I have a couple items in couch potato that refuse to download. I checked my logs and the log indicates it found the item but it is outside '300 retention'. My NZB provider has a 1200 retention. Why is couch potato disagreeing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Syano posted:

I am sure this is something simple but I have been looking to fix it all morning and coming up short. I have a couple items in couch potato that refuse to download. I checked my logs and the log indicates it found the item but it is outside '300 retention'. My NZB provider has a 1200 retention. Why is couch potato disagreeing?

Settings > NZB/Torrents > Retention. What do you have configured there?

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
I had it set at 1200... but after reading your post it gave me the idea that maybe that setting was 'stuck' so I deleted my couch potato install and started fresh. Whaddya know that got it working. Thanks for the pointer!

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

Doughbaron posted:

Well, I just found out Cox is instituting data caps in my area. They are soft as of now but it's only a matter of time before they start charging overages. With my household's use of Netflix, Hulu and Steam we are going to have a hard time keeping under the cap without even considering Usenet. It was fun while it lasted. The only ISP in the area now without caps is really slow DSL. I've cancelled my unlimited account and will just slowly eat away at my block account.
Are you low on drive space or something? Why would Netflix and Hulu take precedence when you could get everything you want from usenet right now before caps go into effect? :)

It should only take ~1GB per month per show if said show is a half hour long (if it were on TV, at least) and airs once per week. Really not too demanding to just keep up with shows you already have, and better than downloading them over and over from Hulu which is basically what you'd be doing if you watched anything more than once...

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Straker posted:

It should only take ~1GB per month per show if said show is a half hour long (if it were on TV, at least)

Perhaps if you're watching shows in SD, but it's not 2005 anymore, so...

edit: looking back this is kind of a douchey post. I apologize. I think you were suggesting a way to keep bandwidth usage down which SD would do.

Vykk.Draygo fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Sep 24, 2011

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
This is why I like it better when we're just talking about Linux ISOs.

ndrz
Oct 31, 2003

Has supernews gotten really lovely over the last day for anyone else, or is Time Warner doing something weird?

I used to get a solid 3.9MB/s at all times from supernews, but over the last day, I can't get more than 500KB/s from them, and I changed no settings whatsoever. Edit: I can mayyyyyybe get up to 1.5MB/s from time to time, but it's very inconsistent as to when it's able to do this.

I'm going over port 563 which obviously uses SSL, but I've tried switching to 443, and the non-SSL 80/23/119 options, which are all around the same speed.

Of course, if I go to speedtest.net, I still see the 3.9MB/s speed I'm used to.

Is my ISP (Time Warner / Road Runner) throttling all traffic to it, or is supernews being lovely? I don't download all that much, between 125 and 250 GB / month. Is it time to start looking at a new ISP or a new usenet provider?

Yeah, this is ridiculous. It managed to hit 2.5MB/s (which is still terrible) for about a minute or two, and now it's dropped back down to 800KB/s.

ndrz fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 24, 2011

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Haven't had any Supernews issues today. (Cox/Phoenix)

----

I've got a strange issue with Sickbeard. I had a show that had it's 4th season premiere this week, but SB only showed 3 seasons. I tried several times to force the update, but it wouldn't get anything new. TVrage and thetvdb both show the season and episode.

The strange part is if I deleted the show, then re-added it, it pulled all the new info. So it's not my connection to the DB listing doesn't work, it's like it's refusing to update some existing shows. Not everything, I only had issues with two series that I can tell so far. Deleting and re-adding fixed it in both cases.

Anyone seen anything like this before? It's not a super huge deal, but I don't want to have to re-add 50+ shows to make sure they're all actually updating.

E: Using the 488 alpha build. The newest one that's compiled.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I had that issue earlier with one show, can't nail down what's causing it either. I'm thinking about installing a Windows Git client and pulling down the latest updates to see if they fix it.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Most HDTV HD rips are 1.1 gigs. X264 is your friend.

ndrz
Oct 31, 2003

Yep, it's definitely supernews being a bitch and not my ISP. I signed up for a free trial at another usenet provider, and I'm seeing my full bandwidth being utilized.

mpeg4v3
Apr 8, 2004
that lurker in the corner
Is it just me, or is it becoming increasingly pointless to download anything that isn't completely new? It seems like anything more mainstream that I add with CouchPotato is incomplete as all hell (likely due to DMCA takedown notices), and I mean every single version of it, 720p or 1080p, from every single group. My provider is UseNetNow (unlimited Blocknews). I'm starting to worry that the studios are getting really, really good about issuing these notices and that the era of Usenet being a less-regulated bountiful bliss of downloading is over. There are some items that I've downloaded over 10 versions of, all turning out incomplete, often by up to 50%. The only stuff that ever works are incredibly recent postings, before the takedown notices are sent, I'm assuming.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

mpeg4v3 posted:

:words:

All I can say is that you're probably doing it wrong, tbh. Rarely had a problem with what I was looking for.

Actually was coming on to ask: is there a easy place to scan/read single newsgroups? There are a few groups that I would like to review regularly that don't get picked up by nzbs. They do show up in binsearch, but I'd rather browse than search.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

Vykk.Draygo posted:

edit: looking back this is kind of a douchey post. I apologize. I think you were suggesting a way to keep bandwidth usage down which SD would do.
Yeah, it was mostly because the guy was trying to save bandwidth and also had everything to do with the rest of his post. You can't really compare any streaming service (what he planned on using) to even a good quality SD rip, so it doesn't really matter that even better options are available :) The point I was making was sort of that it really doesn't take much bandwidth to keep up on new shows, how many TV shows simultaneously airing new episodes can a family reasonably watch, 10? 20? And a couple dozen movies a month?

also HD really isn't that important for most things. I don't want to name names because :filez: but do you really need sitcoms, cartoons and low production value comedy shows in 1080p? Documentaries and science shows and that kinda thing are all I bother getting in HD even though I have tons of storage.

Drizzt01 posted:

Most HDTV HD rips are 1.1 gigs. X264 is your friend.
I originally said 1GB/month which was for SD assuming weekly episodes, but yeah, point stands even at 4GB/month, that's not a lot of traffic even if there are 10 series you'd like to watch in HD.

Really I wish scene assholes would rip SD stuff using my h.264 settings instead of bad settings or still using avi and other crap that people can reliably watch on their lovely VCD players, that would be the best of both worlds :argh: I often end up with movies that look as good as the source DVD and are 1GB or less, makes me feel uneasy and want to go and re-rip at a higher quality just to be "safe". The difference is so amazing if you have an old VCD rip or something to compare to, those things were nearly unwatchable even at double the bitrate.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

The Modern Leper posted:

Actually was coming on to ask: is there a easy place to scan/read single newsgroups?
Mysterbin is your best bet. They have a browsing mode + raw search.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

What indexers does everyone use? Is Newzbin as good as it used to be? I'm a little bit stuck on where to search because the indexers I currently use don't produce the results I'm looking for half of the time.

I've checked the OP but the ones suggested there again don't seem to produce the range of results I used to get before Newzbin shut.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Thirteenth Step posted:

What indexers does everyone use? Is Newzbin as good as it used to be? I'm a little bit stuck on where to search because the indexers I currently use don't produce the results I'm looking for half of the time.

I've checked the OP but the ones suggested there again don't seem to produce the range of results I used to get before Newzbin shut.

I use NZBMatrix and it was worth every penny I paid for VIP. I'll occasionally use binsearch for harder to find stuff or to double check nzbmatrix.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Straker posted:

The point I was making was sort of that it really doesn't take much bandwidth to keep up on new shows, how many TV shows simultaneously airing new episodes can a family reasonably watch, 10? 20? And a couple dozen movies a month?

We have time for maybe 3 or 4, but I download like...50 or something. I then have them to watch at some point in the future.

Straker posted:

also HD really isn't that important for most things. I don't want to name names because :filez: but do you really need sitcoms, cartoons and low production value comedy shows in 1080p? Documentaries and science shows and that kinda thing are all I bother getting in HD even though I have tons of storage.

I can't stand to watch any SD content on an HDTV. No matter what post processing you do, SD looks like poo poo on a 50+ inch 1080p set.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

Thermopyle posted:

I can't stand to watch any SD content on an HDTV. No matter what post processing you do, SD looks like poo poo on a 50+ inch 1080p set.

Hell I can barely stand it on a 32" CRT, I can tolerate the low resolution, but the lovely contrast, noisy blacks and macroblocking just kills it.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
The Usenet Megathread: PYF pirated content preferences

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!

longview posted:

Hell I can barely stand it on a 32" CRT, I can tolerate the low resolution, but the lovely contrast, noisy blacks and macroblocking just kills it.

I accidently saw grabbed some 1080p stuff earlier and now even my 720p stuff is a little annoying. Is there any way to have sickbeard preference 1080 for HDTV over 720?

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon

skipdogg posted:

It's fairly common for some folks to have a small amount of backup block storage. I bought 25 gigs and have yet to use any of it. I'm still using highwinds/easynews since I still have over 300GB in my 'gigbank' with them but the few corrupt things I've ran into blocknews hasn't been able to help with. Had to find a different set of articles which usually isn't hard to do.

I'm using usenetserver on highwinds, and about 60% of the things I've downloaded in the last week are corrupt. despite having a backup blocknews account. I'm starting to become concerned that I have something setup wrong, but over the summer everything worked fine.

Lurchington fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Sep 25, 2011

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

ambushsabre posted:

I accidently saw grabbed some 1080p stuff earlier and now even my 720p stuff is a little annoying. Is there any way to have sickbeard preference 1080 for HDTV over 720?

There is no such thing as 1080p HDTV stuff.

Doughbaron
Apr 28, 2005

Straker posted:

Are you low on drive space or something? Why would Netflix and Hulu take precedence when you could get everything you want from usenet right now before caps go into effect? :)

It should only take ~1GB per month per show if said show is a half hour long (if it were on TV, at least) and airs once per week. Really not too demanding to just keep up with shows you already have, and better than downloading them over and over from Hulu which is basically what you'd be doing if you watched anything more than once...

I don't want to get into details, but Usenet takes the lowest priority as far as bandwidth is concerned in my household. I have several other people here in the house who use Netflix/Hulu/whatever and I haven't and wouldn't try to convince them that a comprehensive Usenet solution would be better for everyone. Perhaps my decision to yield to their media consumption desires is uneconomical but it satisfies the needs of everyone in the least confrontational manner. Not to mention we have bandwidth needs that exist outside media streaming.

Aside from that, I was merely expressing my disappointment with the upcoming cap system. Speed limits on connections I can understand, but data caps I don't. It simply looks like Cox's (and tons of other ISPs) attempt to gouge customers. Is there any reason why ISPs limit monthly data consumption other than to suck up more money and protect their dying media distribution models? I would really like someone to enlighten me on that if there is an actual reason.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

Doughbaron posted:

I don't want to get into details, but Usenet takes the lowest priority as far as bandwidth is concerned in my household.
Fair enough, I had no idea what was going on there, since you mentioned Hulu/Netflix at all (which obviously can't magically just run on any but the most gimmicky TVs) I figured there was a chance you were responsible for your HTPC or something and that that was what most people in your house were using :)

As for caps, to be blunt, it's an American thing, follow the money. Publicly owned companies have to make as much money as possible. If there's no competition then gently caress you, why upgrade infrastructure when it's more profitable to do the opposite and gouge the poo poo out of everyone for what's already there? They will charge you as much as they can afford to without risking suicide bombings or assassinations. Public options are sorta viable in some frustrated populations but they're lobbying against that as well, it's ludicrous.

Straker fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Sep 25, 2011

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Hogburto posted:

The Usenet Megathread: PYF pirated content preferences

who mentioned pirated content?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Straker posted:

As for caps, to be blunt, it's an American thing, follow the money.

Don't tell that to the Australians.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

Nitr0 posted:

There is no such thing as 1080p HDTV stuff.

Fair enough, but what I meant was if it's available for older content to get the bluray version instead? I just said HDTV because that's what the setting is called on SickBeard.

edit: also maybe I'm dumb, but according to wikipedia 1080p is a standard HDTV resolution. Can someone explain this for me?

ambushsabre fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Sep 25, 2011

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

ambushsabre posted:

edit: also maybe I'm dumb, but according to wikipedia 1080p is a standard HDTV resolution. Can someone explain this for me?
1080p is a resolution, but barely anything is actually broadcast in proper 1080p. On Fios for instance, the best their set top box can even push is 1080i/720p. Many other cable providers can only do 720p.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

duz posted:

Or the Canadians, assuming "American" was used in the usual sense. I'd say compared to Australia and Canada, we have it pretty good.

mpeg4v3
Apr 8, 2004
that lurker in the corner

The Modern Leper posted:

All I can say is that you're probably doing it wrong, tbh. Rarely had a problem with what I was looking for.

That's the thing, is that I'm not sure what I could be doing wrong. UseNetNow is a Readnews reseller, and as far as I can tell, they're pretty solid- supposedly excellent retention and few DMCA takedown notices. It's happening with both my FreeBSD sabnzbd+ server, and when I try with my Windows 7 machine in Newsleecher, which makes me think it either has to be UseNetNow, or my ISP, Cox. Maybe I should just shell out for a month long trial of Supernews or something and see if I have the same sort of problems.

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Other-Internet-Related/NZB-Download-Checker.shtml

Check some of your nzbs using this software. You should be able to tell if you're getting lots of random missing pieces or if there are DMCA issues. Giganews for instance will take down the first 2 pieces of every file, so its pretty easy to identify on their servers if its DMCA related vs just random missing pieces.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
I thought it was obvious but I was explaining why internet access sucks in this country (as I could tell where he was from by his ISP), I wasn't saying slow/expensive internet everywhere is "an American thing", that would be loving stupid, give me some credit please.

duz posted:

yes, they get ripped off really badly too, that's what happens when you live on an island. maybe they would be doing better if they nationalized their ISPs/telcos :)

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Or the Canadians, assuming "American" was used in the usual sense. I'd say compared to Australia and Canada, we have it pretty good.
Canada suffers from the same anti-competitive bullshit as the US and has lower population densities, so that's not really surprising. I lived in Edmonton until I was 25, I remember getting cable internet before the vast majority of the US, but upstream quotas were atrocious. The first few years I didn't use upstream bandwidth for anything but QWTF and still usually had to pay another $5-10 to keep playing for the last few days of each month :allears:

bottom line is "well there are other places that are even worse" is not something to be proud of

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I bought 10 gigs on Blocknews a long time ago. Today, I downloaded something that was around 800 megs, but when I tried to download a second thing, I noticed I was getting "connection refused" messages. Turns out they let me go over my limit by almost 150 megs so I could finish downloading that first file. It counts against the new block I bought today, but still, that's pretty rad :cool:

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Thirteenth Step posted:

who mentioned pirated content?
Pardon, "PYF preferences for content of ambiguous legality."

Gimperial
Oct 5, 2006

And then there was silence...

Supernews appears to be completely down. Even their website isn't working.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

Gimperial posted:

Still downloading at 2.0MB/s here.

LOLbox
Oct 13, 2007

FUCK BOATSHOES

Gimperial posted:

Yeah, down for me also. Anyone know what going on?

Lazy Eye
Sep 5, 2003

Gimperial posted:

Came here to see if anyone else was having trouble. Their DNS is completely unresponsive for me, but NNTP still seems to be up at 216.168.3.30.

Edit: DNS is back now

Lazy Eye fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gimperial
Oct 5, 2006

And then there was silence...

Lazy Eye posted:

Came here to see if anyone else was having trouble. Their DNS is completely unresponsive for me, but NNTP still seems to be up at 216.168.3.30.

Edit: DNS is back now

And back down now... Do they have a twitter or somewhere where they post status updates? Tried looking through google cache but didn't find anything. Would be good to know how long it's down for/what the cause is.