Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

My bike made a friend today :3:

Two spaces down from where I park my bike was another dark green Bandit 600, the only differences seemed to be black wheels vs. silver wheels and some decals. As luck would have it, as I was pulling the cover off mine and checking the tire pressures before a little evening ride, the owner of the other Bandit showed up.

I complimented him on his excellent taste and we chatted a bit about bikes etc., it turned out that his bike was also a 1996 with about twice the mileage of mine, but his still had the stock exhaust and was in really good condition cosmetically.

Mine is production number GN77B-111xxx, his is GN77B-108xxx, pretty neat randomly meeting a guy who rides a bike that could be a carbon copy of your own, and we live right next to each other :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Alright so the back end of my bike is completely finished aside from paint (waiting to see what mods i will do on the tank first).

On to the front end. So Im trying to figure out the look i want for handlebars. Anyone got any ideas? I was thinking either keystone bars or crazy-z bars. Keystones are intruiging to me since I can get a good 8 inch rise on them to make the riding position more comfortable.

For reference you can see the bike at the end of the chop thread.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3430308

Any suggestions or ideas?

Get some tube stock and bend your own until they fit you just right!

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Errant Gin Monks posted:

On to the front end. So Im trying to figure out the look i want for handlebars. Anyone got any ideas? I was thinking either keystone bars or crazy-z bars. Keystones are intruiging to me since I can get a good 8 inch rise on them to make the riding position more comfortable.

Any suggestions or ideas?

I think drag bars would look good on that bike. Z bars are rad, but I think they work best on a bare-bones chopper with some rake going on.

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!
alright I got two motorcycle superstore 10% off coupons, thought I was going to need them this summer, but it turns out I did not. they expire 9/30

DDDP3052XGJ
D1P43B1WVZU

i am sure somebody out there needs some parts, use em

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

Vork!Vork!Vork! posted:

alright I got two motorcycle superstore 10% off coupons, thought I was going to need them this summer, but it turns out I did not. they expire 9/30

DDDP3052XGJ
D1P43B1WVZU

i am sure somebody out there needs some parts, use em

Where do you guys get these coupons? I don't think I'll need to use one at the moment but I'd like to know for future reference.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

lowcrabdiet posted:

Where do you guys get these coupons? I don't think I'll need to use one at the moment but I'd like to know for future reference.

There's always one at the bottom of your receipts from them. Also, every so often with your order you'll get a product advertising booklet that has like 20 dollars off 150 spent or something good like that.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001
Took the Tuono out for the first time on backroads. Seeing as I have about 300 miles on it now, I figure I can do a quick review..

I went and rode a fairly short section of local twisties (well, close enough to Houston anyway) a few times and did some cruising around on backroads. On the freeway out of the city I noticed just how bad the wind buffeting was at 90 ish. The stock screen really doesn't do much. I played around on it a little bit and found I had to have my chin pretty much resting on the tank to get any benefit from the stock screen. I then later figured out I had been riding into a headwind, going back the other direction was far more comfortable and I could tolerate that pretty good. I'll see how I go with it over the next couple months, might get myself a new screen for christmas.

The seating position is fantastic. I'd read reviews which mentioned that the high foot pegs make it uncomfortable. I measured the SV vs the Tuono ground to peg distance and even with riser plates on the SV the Tuono is still about 1/2-3/4 inch higher. I haven't found it uncomfortable for my knees yet which is nice as the SV with risers made me pretty sore around my knees/hips after a long ride. I think the Tuono seat must be a fair bit higher than the SV but I didn't measure it. In tight jeans I cant flat foot it, in loose jeans I can, the SV I can flatfood more easily even in tight jeans. The bars are in the exact right place for me, I like it a lot from that perspective. I can lean forward to ride fast or can sit up straight for more comfort.
The seat is OK. Better than the stock SV seat, but my butt got slightly numb after 2-3 hours on it today. Not bad enough to make me start looking for an aftermarket seat or any thing like that though.

I had the OEM tire on the front still from March 2007 so I didn't push very hard in the twisties. I am borrowing a friends front stand this week sometime and will get the brand new Q2 waiting in my garage put on. When I first got the bike I felt like it was running wide, I think that must have just been getting used to it, because today it felt absolutely planted and almost telepathic. The route I took has a bunch of 30-40 mph signed corners. I usually cruise out there with entry speeds somewhere around double posted speeds and while my SV handles it just fine, the Tuono felt like it wasn't even trying. It handled everything much smoother than the SV. For example, there is a bridge with a curve on it that has varying surfaces, and the junctions between them aren't 100% level, so its a little bumpy and the bridge itself has lots of narrow grooves in the road surface. On the SV I really do not like that corner at speed as it gets a little upset so I usally hit it at about the speed limit, maybe a little higher. On the Tuono I forgot to do that and it took it in stride. It really highlighted the difference in suspension between the two bikes. Even with the 'budget' sachs shock this thing is real nice to ride. I will take it to one of the local shops to get the suspension set up, but it feels good at the moment because I think the PO was a fairly similar weight. If I see a good deal on the ohlins shock from the factory trim model I might pick it up but at the moment for street riding this is plenty good.

Power - At lower, cruising RPM its fairly docile. You can feel the power but its not overwhelming at all and its linear enough that you have plenty of time to back off the throttle before the bike does something crazy.

However, if you stick to the upper half of the RPM range: :aaaaa:

I am gonna be working up to using that power for a while I think.

The engine sounds incredible at 10k RPM. I love the sound all through the range. I forgot my ear plugs and I think it aggravated my tinnitus a little. I found the PO gave me the baffles after all, I just didnt look in the right bag. I kind of dont want to install them, but I might have to cause this thing is LOUD. It sets off alarms in my work car park, and also there is a car on my street that beeps at me every time I ride by it. Im sure the neighbours don't really appreciate it either.

The rearsets are set up so that the heel of my boots rests either on the exhaust or the swingarm. Its interesting to feel just how much the swingarm moves, but its scuffed up for that reason. I think I'm going to get some stick on carbon fibre look alike patches - have them on my mountain bike to stop hoses rubbing etc and it worked great and won't look too out of place. The exhaust makes my heels really hot, it probably doesn't help that they have metal inserts there which probably absorb the heat better than plastic/rubber would but at least they don't melt. The stock exhausts have metal heat shield thingys which I'm going to see if I can transplant onto the exhaust somehow. The foot pegs also get really hot but not sure what I can do about that. That will probably be a plus in winter anyway.

The one thing I was a little disappointed in today wasn't even related to the bike. I had set up a cell phone mount and wired in a USB power point to charge my phone, but the phone overheated very quickly - maybe 10 minutes. I have a feeling it was due to the sun rather than the charger supplying too much power, as I've had it get super hot in my clear topped tank bag before. Will have to try that at night see if it does the same thing.

Final closing thoughts: I really like this bike, and I'm looking forward to getting a lot more street riding in. In addition, I cannot wait to take this beast to the track cause at street legal speeds its really just idling along.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Swingarm protectors are a must for both sides I think. You'll see there are about 5 different kinds out there with varying amounts of coverage. Mine came with some thick black plastic items that work just fine for me and just basically cover the usual heel-strike areas. Seems to work - I haven't seen any scuffs yet.

I think Givi do an extra-high screen which might be a good investment for wind protection. I have a double-bubble and it actually doesn't do much except when you're tucked in. And I think if anything the Mk 1 Tuono has a taller screen than the mk 2.

I've also seen reviews moaning about the peg position. I don't understand, because I'm 6'2" and long in the limbs and find it perfectly comfy. Not only that, but it's really easy to get my body off the seat. Not sure what to attribute this to - arthritic or extremely sedentary bike journalists?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Has anyone here successfully registered for the GSTwin forums? It requires admin approval, and it's been like 3 days since I registered. I need to buy some drat parts :mad:

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009

Vork!Vork!Vork! posted:

DDDP3052XGJ

Used that coupon code last night to buy four spark plugs and an air filter, thanks!

Anyone here ever had the chance to ride one of the KTM 990 SMT's? Or the KTM 950SM?

Whiteboy fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 26, 2011

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

Vork!Vork!Vork! posted:

D1P43B1WVZU

Used this for a battery and some spark plugs, thanks!

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Whiteboy posted:

Used that coupon code last night to buy four spark plugs and an air filter, thanks!

Anyone here ever had the chance to ride one of the KTM 990 SMT's? Or the KTM 950SM?

I've ridden the SMT, nice bike, what do you want to know?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Whiteboy posted:

Ridden the SMT as well, had a blast. If I was buying new it'd be right up top of the list.

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Saga posted:

Swingarm protectors are a must for both sides I think. You'll see there are about 5 different kinds out there with varying amounts of coverage. Mine came with some thick black plastic items that work just fine for me and just basically cover the usual heel-strike areas. Seems to work - I haven't seen any scuffs yet.

I think Givi do an extra-high screen which might be a good investment for wind protection. I have a double-bubble and it actually doesn't do much except when you're tucked in. And I think if anything the Mk 1 Tuono has a taller screen than the mk 2.

I've also seen reviews moaning about the peg position. I don't understand, because I'm 6'2" and long in the limbs and find it perfectly comfy. Not only that, but it's really easy to get my body off the seat. Not sure what to attribute this to - arthritic or extremely sedentary bike journalists?

I looked them up after you posted and they seem reasonably priced so I think that will be ordered as soon as my bank account recovers from the bike purchase itself. Its already scuffed from the PO so I'm not gaining much by putting it on now really, but I wouldn't mind hiding the scuffs.

I was looking at the ermax (?) screen actually, though will check out the givi too. I don't want anything too tall cause it may look silly, but I do want the wind protection cause a lot of the riding around here is fairly high speed, and for track use too (150+ mph on the front straight TWS). Is there any noticeable extra drag from putting on a screen or would I be expecting some improvement from aerodynamics due to my body being hidden from the wind? I'm guessing probably not..

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

GanjamonII posted:

I looked them up after you posted and they seem reasonably priced so I think that will be ordered as soon as my bank account recovers from the bike purchase itself. Its already scuffed from the PO so I'm not gaining much by putting it on now really, but I wouldn't mind hiding the scuffs.

I was looking at the ermax (?) screen actually, though will check out the givi too. I don't want anything too tall cause it may look silly, but I do want the wind protection cause a lot of the riding around here is fairly high speed, and for track use too (150+ mph on the front straight TWS). Is there any noticeable extra drag from putting on a screen or would I be expecting some improvement from aerodynamics due to my body being hidden from the wind? I'm guessing probably not..

Well, any drag increase is of fairly marginal importance given that any bike, but a naked more so, has the drag coefficient of a brick shithouse. And that you have a 1,000cc twin with a torque curve like a V8 crate engine. Of course if you don't want something that looks dumb, that's a good enough reason.

However, I would have thought you want one that's big enough to do something, and my experience with the Mk 1 fairing (admittedly different, but if anything it looks taller to me than the Mk 2) suggests that you actually need a lot more screen than you think you should just looking at the bike. The double bubble is taller than the OEM screen, but you only notice it when you're tucked right in.

One reason to have those swingarm protectors is that due to the profile and width of the swinger, if you drop the bike (on either side in your case!) it can actually damage the swinger.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

GanjamonII posted:

I, ahem, had a mechanical failure with a windshield on my SV650 caused by my head passing through it and went racing without one. I didn't notice a significant difference at track speeds of up to about 115mph. It'd probably be a bit more comfortable to have a windshield to hide behind, but I think that aero is already a wash on a mostly naked bike so you may as well go for comfort over marginal other measurement factors. Your drive out of the last corner before the straight will make more of a difference than your windshield config ;)

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009

ReelBigLizard posted:

I've ridden the SMT, nice bike, what do you want to know?

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Ridden the SMT as well, had a blast. If I was buying new it'd be right up top of the list.

What did you guys think of it? I possibly will be able to buy an '06 950 SM if the other buyer backs out but that might not happen. I've been looking at the '10 KTM 990's, mainly the SMT's, but I'm wondering if they're still fun. The 950 SM looks like it's just an absolute blast to ride but the 990 SMT looks a bit like the more relaxed uncle to the bike. I understand it is still plenty fast and can rip through turns, but at the same time it is still a bit of a touring bike. Am I wrong? Is the SMT still amazingly fun to ride? I do plan on actually riding the bike for longer distances which is why the SMR and its tiny gas tank is no good. I'm not going to be racing either of these bikes on the track, though.

Whiteboy fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 26, 2011

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

pr0zac posted:

Also got 4 fix-it tickets because a cop apparently doesn't like motorcycles or something. It wasn't awesome.

Just got this ticket in the mail. Also included "disobeying signs and/or signals" apparently. $1500. Definitely going to the court date to dispute this one. F.T.P.

In other news, playing hookie and spending the day riding motorcycles instead of working is a great idea which I fully recommend.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

pr0zac posted:

Just got this ticket in the mail. Also included "disobeying signs and/or signals" apparently. $1500. Definitely going to the court date to dispute this one. F.T.P.

In other news, playing hookie and spending the day riding motorcycles instead of working is a great idea which I fully recommend.

Hopefully it was a typo and he meant to say something about your signals not working.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

pr0zac posted:

Trial by written declaration followed by trial de novo if you don't win that. Check out BARF's LEO section for help on it.

Read this:
http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=250617

Especially motorman's post about how to present your argument. Read his critique of the followup ones too.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Whiteboy posted:

What did you guys think of it? I possibly will be able to buy an '06 950 SM if the other buyer backs out but that might not happen. I've been looking at the '10 KTM 990's, mainly the SMT's, but I'm wondering if they're still fun. The 950 SM looks like it's just an absolute blast to ride but the 990 SMT looks a bit like the more relaxed uncle to the bike. I understand it is still plenty fast and can rip through turns, but at the same time it is still a bit of a touring bike. Am I wrong? Is the SMT still amazingly fun to ride? I do plan on actually riding the bike for longer distances which is why the SMR and its tiny gas tank is no good. I'm not going to be racing either of these bikes on the track, though.

Oh yeah, tons of fun. The suspension is brilliant. Really soaks up bumps and is incredibly comfortable, but you can still chuck it in to corners really hard and just power out. Feels like a big bastard when you pick it up off the sidestand but the weight just disappears on the move. I'd definitely recommend it over the SMR if you're doing more than short blasts around town/your favourite twisties.

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Oh yeah, tons of fun. The suspension is brilliant. Really soaks up bumps and is incredibly comfortable, but you can still chuck it in to corners really hard and just power out. Feels like a big bastard when you pick it up off the sidestand but the weight just disappears on the move. I'd definitely recommend it over the SMR if you're doing more than short blasts around town/your favourite twisties.

Yeah, the SMR got ruled out pretty quickly. Honestly, I'm leaning towards the 950 SM as it's more in my price range and looks a bit more fun. If I don't end up getting it though, I'm going to visit a KTM dealer to look over the SMT in person. Did you ever take it off road?

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Nah, just hammering it local roads. At most, the only off-roading you'll be doing on it is on proper dirt roads, no single-tracking or anything like that.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Pretty much this, definitely with regards to comfort and balance. When you're moving it doesn't feel too heavy, which the 990 superduke, in my opinion, did. I'd like to add; the torque curve is more a torque mountain, goes from power-on-tap to power-on-firehose if you really wring it out. Cracking bike if you want to go further afield, I prefer my 690 SMC for cutting it through our local lanes and morning traffic monging, but we have very small roads with really lovely surfaces and deep down I'm a bit of a hooligan.

That is to say, if I lived in a place with nice, big, curvy roads I'd want the SMT.

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009
Well, if the 950 SM falls through I'm definitely going to look at the SMT. Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
IIRC the 950SM doesn't have a particularly big tank either.

Whiteboy
Nov 10, 2009
Unless my google-fu is terrible, the SM vs the SMT is a 2 liter difference.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
I got a motorcycle superstore coupon I'm not going to be able to use before it expires 9-30-11.

D677609KBEA

Good luck!

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Payin' it forward after I took a coupon, here's two I got from Motorcycle Superstore:

$5 off >$100 SNR7B23472
$20 off >$150 D22ST4MLMP6

Ghost of Razgriz
Aug 4, 2007
Anyone in Fayetteville, AR this weekend for Bikes, Blues, and BBQ (the latter two are an afterthought really)? We can hang out and look at the bajillion Harleys and half-dozen bikes from other manufacturers. Maybe spend two hours trying to get close enough to the bar to order a beer.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Remember that vid of the pickup that tried to run the rider off the road and then chased him at high speed?

Gary L Hudson was up for:
Ct1 Wanton Endangerment 1st deg 1-5 yrs
Ct2 Wanton Endangerment 1st deg 1-5 yrs
Ct3 Menacing misdemenor
Ct4 recklace dr traffic violation

The prosecution offered:
1st plea

Ct1 2yrs imprisonment
Ct2 2yrs imprisonment
Ct3 90 days incarceration
Ct4 $100 fine

Ct1 & 2 to be served concurrent for a total of 2yrs
Statatory fine of $1000-10000

The defense turned it down, I don't know when he goes back to court.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Surprised it wasn't a more serious charge given the description we saw, but maybe trying to kill people doesn't actually get taken seriously by juries if you use a car.

Well, I guess I should consider it a useful pro-tip for my side business as a hit man. :rolleyes:

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Does anyone have the link to the video?

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

front wing flexing posted:

Does anyone have the link to the video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbTZkZTYkaM

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Sad but true: the legal repercussions of killing a motorcyclist are pretty much non-existent.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Hard-knuckled gauntlets, helmet, armored gear, and adrenaline - you'd have to hold me back pretty hard.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Even with armored power ranger gear a baseball bat is gonna gently caress you up. Those guys are lucky as hell he didn't get out of his truck swinging or with a gun. I personally don't think I woulda stopped - I'd be terrified homeboy had a gun and was just looking for someone to target practice on.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

Thanks for posting the vid, pimp. That poo poo was crazy. I can't believe that guy did that poo poo. What the gently caress is wrong with people?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I can see this leading into a CA/TFR crossover "how best do I conceal carry while still packing ATGATT and which gloves protect best during high-speed offs and still fit in the trigger guard" discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

I can see this leading into a CA/TFR crossover "how best do I conceal carry while still packing ATGATT and which gloves protect best during high-speed offs and still fit in the trigger guard" discussion.

You'd be better off spending your time when you get engaged with these people figuring out the best way to get the hell away from them. If you're on a motorcycle, you should be able to outperform or get away from just about anyone, either with throttle or by going places cars can't go. Ride the drat thing into a mall if you have to. The first guy was an idiot for stopping where the truck would catch up, and the second guy was an idiot for following and confronting. Get their plate number, pull off, and report them to the cops.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 30, 2011