Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Azure_Horizon posted:

This is why people shouldn't try to write ASOIAF.

This is why TVIV people should not be in TBB ASOAF threads.

The fan fiction is a large part of what made the old threads excellent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sil
Jan 4, 2007

Azure_Horizon posted:

I guess not. I've never actually seen the play.

The hit Disney cartoon, The Lion King?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Fog Tripper posted:

It's better than constantly complaining about the books every single post. I'm not a TVIV person for that matter.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Azure_Horizon posted:

It's better than constantly complaining about the books every single post. I'm not a TVIV person for that matter.

Could you possibly spend more time discussing the books, rather than rating other peoples posts?

For your information I feel the book is getting better (Since the reappearance of Arya/Jaime). Dany and Tyrion's PoVs continue to blow.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Azure_Horizon posted:

There's no shortage of communities that'll jerk off ASoIaF, including threads in the TVIV. What I liked about the Bad Thread is that it actually had criticisms, many of them valid, without the need to pretty up the prose with "But GRRM is really a great writer, and I'm sure the series will get better." I thought this was a thread where you could trust people to poo poo on the books out of a general like or even love, has that really changed?

As for the books:

Fog Tripper- are you reading through ADwD for the first time now? If so good luck. The book really does gather more momentum towards the 3/4 mark.

I was disappointed to see a lack of Samwell. Not because I like the character, but because I'm really eager to find out more about Oldtown and how the Maesters do things. Them and the Church and the Reach are the last three "major" powers I don't feel have been explored in as much detail as everywhere else in Westeros.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Fog Tripper posted:

Could you possibly spend more time discussing the books, rather than rating other peoples posts?

For your information I feel the book is getting better (Since the reappearance of Arya/Jaime). Dany and Tyrion's PoVs continue to blow.

I actually spend more time discussing the books, perhaps you should read more than one post of mine out of three.

Dany gets much better. Except... the loving cliffhangers.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 26, 2011

lapse
Jun 27, 2004

Fog Tripper posted:

A couple of the arcs get pretty badass right before they turn into ridiculous cliffhangers that give no resolution.

waar
Sep 29, 2001
How could somebody possibly remember that scene from Lion King, like how many times have you seen it that you read that and instantly recall that scene. That's crazy

necessary voodoo
Nov 4, 2010

waar posted:

How could somebody possibly remember that scene from Lion King, like how many times have you seen it that you read that and instantly recall that scene. That's crazy

anyone who was a kid in the 90s??

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The Book Barn > A Dance With Dragons - where the old 'Cards post, the old ways linger

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

lapse posted:

A couple of the arcs get pretty badass right before they turn into ridiculous cliffhangers that give no resolution.

Even Meereen gets interesting once Barristan becomes the POV there.

Ecco the Dolphin
Aug 7, 2004

bloop bloop

necessary voodoo posted:

anyone who was a kid in the 90s??

Seriously, I can hear the exact inflection in James Earl Jones' voice just reading that, and I'm quite sure I'm not the only one.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.

mind the walrus posted:

I thought this was a thread where you could trust people to poo poo on the books out of a general like or even love, has that really changed?

Changed with the requirement that it be all serious discussion all the time. People without a sense of humor finally feel safe to join and post.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Fog Tripper posted:

I just finished a reread of DWD, doing specific groups of POVs instead of straight through.

Dany/Barristan/Quentyn chapters are vastly more bearable when read on their own. The pacing is entirely different from the rest of the book. When I was reading normally, Dany chapters jarred me out of the groove I was getting into and just annoyed me.

Tyrion is just bleh all through for either reading style.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.

Fog Tripper posted:

The fanfic was what made the bad threads so erm bad.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

mind the walrus posted:

Fog Tripper- are you reading through ADwD for the first time now? If so good luck. The book really does gather more momentum towards the 3/4 mark.

I was disappointed to see a lack of Samwell. Not because I like the character, but because I'm really eager to find out more about Oldtown and how the Maesters do things. Them and the Church and the Reach are the last three "major" powers I don't feel have been explored in as much detail as everywhere else in Westeros.

Yeah, it is picking up a bit now. But I still nearly throw the tome across the room when I run into another Dany chapter.

Regarding Sam, I have to go back at some point, but when Tyrion was on the ridiculously drawn out journey in the first half of the book a character mentioned that on a certain boat was a pickled corpse being shipped. It struck me a bit afterwards what corpse and company was with.

Brannock posted:

Dany/Barristan/Quentyn chapters are vastly more bearable when read on their own.

House of Leaves was interesting on it's own. :colbert:
I feel I might as well read a chapter of that every so often, rather than Dany's POVs.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 26, 2011

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Junkenstein posted:

Even Meereen gets interesting once Barristan becomes the POV there.

Barristan kicking some rear end was the best part of this book imo.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Ross posted:

Barristan kicking some rear end was the best part of this book imo.

He kicks rear end? I was looking forward to his role in A Bear and a Maiden Fair. :(

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Fog Tripper posted:

He kicks rear end? I was looking forward to his role in A Bear and a Maiden Fair. :(

I think you're thinking of Mormont.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

CumFart Gurantee posted:

The fanfic was what made the bad threads so erm bad.

I don't think you get what made those threads so good.

Fog Tripper posted:

Yeah, it is picking up a bit now. But I still nearly throw the tome across the room when I run into another Dany chapter.

It only gets worse. So much worse. But not worse than Tyrion's chapters.

Actually, Theon and Davos were the only interesting chapters in the entire book.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Handsome Wife posted:

I think you're thinking of Mormont.

Doh, got them mixed up.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Fog Tripper posted:

Doh, got them mixed up.

Yeah he woops up on some guy when he goes to capture Hizdahr, I think it was. I forget who exactly though.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Ambiguatron posted:

The way the Mereen/Wall plots have been left off, he has no choice but to pick them up directly, unless Dany and Drogon are going to stand there staring at the khalasar for five years.
The bloody anal flux doesn't just stop on a whim, you know.

TXT BOOTY7 2 47474 posted:

You're aware this is a parody of the hit Broadway play "The Lion King," right?
Is this really how people remember Lion King, these days?

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Habibi posted:

Is this really how people remember Lion King, these days?
It's a "running joke."

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Fog Tripper posted:

Regarding Sam, I have to go back at some point, but when Tyrion was on the ridiculously drawn out journey in the first half of the book a character mentioned that on a certain boat was a pickled corpse being shipped. It struck me a bit afterwards what corpse and company was with.

House of Leaves was interesting on it's own. :colbert:
I feel I might as well read a chapter of that every so often, rather than Dany's POVs.

House of Leaves is actually a pretty drat good novel.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

waar posted:

I recognized it instantly and I haven't seen the movie in about 15 years. I'm pretty sure most people would too.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

RCarr posted:

I recognized it instantly and I haven't seen the movie in about 15 years. I'm pretty sure most people would too.

Seriously. It's like the Disney equivalent of, "If you build it, they will come." Who doesn't recognize it?

Plus Kung Pow parodied it.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

IRQ posted:

I don't think you get what made those threads so good.

It only gets worse. So much worse. But not worse than Tyrion's chapters.

Actually, Theon and Davos were the only interesting chapters in the entire book.

Arya's start off interesting until you realize its just more setup and there will be not an ounce of payoff.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

cheese posted:

Arya's start off interesting until you realize its just more setup and there will be not an ounce of payoff.

Which is just the appetizer (hey, it's a Gurm thread, food analogies are obvious) to the big steaming main course that is the entire book being more setup without an ounce of payoff.

Well except Jon, that sort of had something resembling a climax, but we all know he isn't dead anyway so still.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Habibi posted:

Seriously. It's like the Disney equivalent of, "If you build it, they will come." Who doesn't recognize it?

Plus Kung Pow parodied it.

I can only recognize the Kung Pow version anymore.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

cheese posted:

What? Out of all the characters I thought she was the only one that had any sort of payoff. She became a faceless man and murdered a dude. That is what her entire plot line has been building to. What more do you want?

Well I guess Bran had some pay off too finally getting to the three eyed crow and finally introducing the children of the forest. Speaking of Bran where the hell is his plot line going now? So he can see into the past, warg into poo poo, etc but what is the point of it all? Is the whole point really so he can warg into a dragon?

Ecco the Dolphin
Aug 7, 2004

bloop bloop

insider posted:

Well I guess Bran had some pay off too finally getting to the three eyed crow and finally introducing the children of the forest. Speaking of Bran where the hell is his plot line going now? So he can see into the past, warg into poo poo, etc but what is the point of it all? Is the whole point really so he can warg into a dragon?

No, the dragon-warging thing is just fan-wankery and is twice as stupid as the "Jon-wargs-into-Ghost-and-back" resurrection theory. People seem to want to look at warging like it's a super power in a video game and not a plot element in a novel.

At this point, seems like the point of Bran's plot will be to elucidate exactly what went on with the Children and the Others, and what the Others exactly are, and how to defeat them. I mean he has direct contact with the Children, is right in the heart of the Others' territory, and can see into the past.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Ecco the Dolphin posted:

No, the dragon-warging thing is just fan-wankery and is twice as stupid as the "Jon-wargs-into-Ghost-and-back" resurrection theory. People seem to want to look at warging like it's a super power in a video game and not a plot element in a novel.

At this point, seems like the point of Bran's plot will be to elucidate exactly what went on with the Children and the Others, and what the Others exactly are, and how to defeat them. I mean he has direct contact with the Children, is right in the heart of the Others' territory, and can see into the past.

I guess I didn't even think about this, but Bran should be able to actually see how Azor Ahai defeated the Others the first time right? Thats cool. So he'll see that, he will tell Jojen/Meera/Hodor and they will travel back down to the Wall to tell Azor Ahai (Jon Snow) how to defeat them.

Ok makes sense.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl
It's not like Bran is a useless character just because he's a cripple who can't really contribute to any action. Whatshisface with the eagle spied on the Watch for a long time. Bran can warg into whatever and feed Jon intelligence. Maybe even warg into those frozen wights and contact The Great Other or something crazy cool.

Bran wargs into The Big Other, Arya uses that moment to assassinate him. Dany's dragons just fly around melting all the ice, and it turns out that North of the Wall is a freaking paradise once Mean Mr. Snow is gone. Jon and the rest of the Starks warg into newborn wolf pups and enjoy a... dream of spring.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Arya had no payoff in the sense that a whole book went by and she still isn't interacting with any other relevant characters or plot threads. I don't remember who she murdered but he wasn't of any consequence plot-wise.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Ross posted:

Arya had no payoff in the sense that a whole book went by and she still isn't interacting with any other relevant characters or plot threads. I don't remember who she murdered but he wasn't of any consequence plot-wise.
She hasn't interacted with a major character since the first book. Be a better reader.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Ross posted:

Who she murdered was symbolic, he didn't have to play any importance. The Winds of Winter is probably going to fulfill the promise of her taking out major players.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Quantify! posted:

She hasn't interacted with a major character since the first book. Be a better reader.

Sandor Clegane isn't a major character?
Gregor Clegane isn't a major character?
Roose Bolton isn't a major character?

Be a better poster.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Ross posted:

Sandor Clegane isn't a major character?
Gregor Clegane isn't a major character?
Roose Bolton isn't a major character?

Be a better poster.
No, they're not.

What you want is for Arya to reach the end of her story. What people want is for Jon and Dany and all the characters to do the same. They want the ending now, gimme gimme. That's not what Dance was for. Dance was made to get the story to a certain point. Every character achieved something and every story was fulfilling. If you don't see that the book did what it was supposed to do... be a better reader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Quantify! posted:

No, they're not.

What you want is for Arya to reach the end of her story. What people want is for Jon and Dany and all the characters to do the same. They want the ending now, gimme gimme. That's not what Dance was for. Dance was made to get the story to a certain point. Every character achieved something and every story was fulfilling. If you don't see that the book did what it was supposed to do... be a better reader.

No actually what I want is for Arya to do something interesting. What are your criteria for a "major" character?

Actually forget it, I don't really care what you think. If you honestly think every character in ADWD achieved something interesting, you're the one who needs to "be a better reader" (seriously? Get real dude. Is this a reading contest all of sudden?)