Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

arhra
Jun 27, 2006

glug posted:

Wait wait...
Controls: you can't hold space to repeatedly jump, or hold leftmouse to repeatedly hit things, in the v1.9 pre-release

Does that mean just killing things, or also mining? Jesus.

The jumping thing they've already gone back on (Notch realised that being unable to climb hills easily outweighed the problem he was trying to solve).

Montalvo posted:

What's this cobalt he's talking about? Are they adding a new ore?
Completely different game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!

trandorian posted:

Using eggs or something else you could pick up would be way convenient for things like starting a new farm in another section of a multiplayer world.

Ehhhhh I like the craftable animal crate idea.

A Lamer
Jul 2, 2006

:notch:

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

UnCO3 posted:

This.

This is why Notch even made Minecraft in the first place.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Mr Scumbag posted:

I've looked that page up and down twice now and unless I'm going blind there is no such link there.

It was probably further back. I keep spacing on how quickly this thread moves. Here:

Vib Rib posted:

For anyone getting bad performance with 1.9 pre, try this user-made patch, which worked wonders for me. The new save-threading is good, but has a problem with the way its priority is coded, and thus causes problems. Pop this in and see if it helps.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I think notch needs to add more progression to the game. When I say progression, I mean it less like Terraria and more like Civilization's "interesting choices" mechanic. It usually follows the vein of "forgo something now to get something better later, depending on the situation." At heart, they're economic incentives.

Like Civilization, it's usually agreed that the beginning of a new map is the most interesting. There are a set of immediate goals that the player must fulfill in order to not fail. Those goals shift at a certain point from mere survival, to something loftier (floating castles).

1.8's hunger bar extended that survival period by introducing an incentive to find a sustainable food source. This created more tension and excitement where there was previously little (and even more so on archipelago maps!). The upcoming animal breeding mechanic, I fear, will shorten that hunger incentive mechanic by allowing a player to easily breed animals that have a higher food quality than wheat. To make either choice more interesting there needs to be a trade-off, such as animal husbandry being a long term (and costly to setup) food source, as opposed to agriculture which requires sedentary activity but is easy to start. Combined foods (such as steak sandwiches) would also encourage players to do both activities, but not make it a requirement.

My thoughts however are all conjecture and until Notch implements it we will not know for certain.

Besides farming, I'd also like to see things such as saws, lathes, and forges implemented. Saws and lathes could increase the yield from crafting items. For example, using a saw-workbench (or something) would yield 8 planks from a log instead of 4. You could also make it percentage based, with cumulative returns based on the number of saws you have in a system. Using a forge-workbench would increase tool durability, or speed.

Such items wouldn't be necessary for the beginning of the game, but would take out some of the tediousness of the late game, allowing players to concentrate on their creations and less on logistics. Notch needs to analyze the game and figure out when survival becomes less fun and more chore, and implement things accordingly.

I know the Better Than Wolves mod did a lot of this already; I'd just really like to see it implemented in the vanilla game.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.
Is there any way for me to switch a 1.8/1.9 Creative mode map in to a Survival map? I just want to build some structures with flying and infinite blocks but then actually explore the island and go mining and stuff.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

Is there any way for me to switch a 1.8/1.9 Creative mode map in to a Survival map? I just want to build some structures with flying and infinite blocks but then actually explore the island and go mining and stuff.

Yes

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So what constitutes "food" as far as feeding animals to get them into humping mood?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

Single Player Commands mod lets you do that while in game by bringing up the chat window and typing /gamemode survival (or creative)

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.

trandorian posted:

Single Player Commands mod lets you do that while in game by bringing up the chat window and typing /gamemode survival (or creative)

This is perfect, thanks.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

AlternateAccount posted:

So what constitutes "food" as far as feeding animals to get them into humping mood?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPTCchtRT4A

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Trivia posted:

I think notch needs to add more progression to the game. When I say progression, I mean it less like Terraria and more like Civilization's "interesting choices" mechanic. It usually follows the vein of "forgo something now to get something better later, depending on the situation." At heart, they're economic incentives.

Like Civilization, it's usually agreed that the beginning of a new map is the most interesting. There are a set of immediate goals that the player must fulfill in order to not fail. Those goals shift at a certain point from mere survival, to something loftier (floating castles).

1.8's hunger bar extended that survival period by introducing an incentive to find a sustainable food source. This created more tension and excitement where there was previously little (and even more so on archipelago maps!). The upcoming animal breeding mechanic, I fear, will shorten that hunger incentive mechanic by allowing a player to easily breed animals that have a higher food quality than wheat. To make either choice more interesting there needs to be a trade-off, such as animal husbandry being a long term (and costly to setup) food source, as opposed to agriculture which requires sedentary activity but is easy to start. Combined foods (such as steak sandwiches) would also encourage players to do both activities, but not make it a requirement.

My thoughts however are all conjecture and until Notch implements it we will not know for certain.

Besides farming, I'd also like to see things such as saws, lathes, and forges implemented. Saws and lathes could increase the yield from crafting items. For example, using a saw-workbench (or something) would yield 8 planks from a log instead of 4. You could also make it percentage based, with cumulative returns based on the number of saws you have in a system. Using a forge-workbench would increase tool durability, or speed.

Such items wouldn't be necessary for the beginning of the game, but would take out some of the tediousness of the late game, allowing players to concentrate on their creations and less on logistics. Notch needs to analyze the game and figure out when survival becomes less fun and more chore, and implement things accordingly.

I know the Better Than Wolves mod did a lot of this already; I'd just really like to see it implemented in the vanilla game.

That sounds nice for a lot of the more hardcore players, but I think those are things better left for modders. There are 3.5 million sold copies of Minecraft. While people here and on MineCraft Forum might like that kind of stuff, we're not the majority fanbase. Most people I know who play are proud when they figure out how to make half-steps. They might enjoy watching other people make complicated poo poo, but I'd guess most players don't actually want to build it themselves. Ideally, I see Minecraft like Bethesda's open world games: There's the game, but everything is open for people to change with mods. Just look at what people did with Morrowind. If the tools are there, anything you want, you just have to wait for, or make it yourself, the sky is the limit.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

That sounds nice for a lot of the more hardcore players, but I think those are things better left for modders. There are 3.5 million sold copies of Minecraft. While people here and on MineCraft Forum might like that kind of stuff, we're not the majority fanbase. Most people I know who play are proud when they figure out how to make half-steps. They might enjoy watching other people make complicated poo poo, but I'd guess most players don't actually want to build it themselves. Ideally, I see Minecraft like Bethesda's open world games: There's the game, but everything is open for people to change with mods. Just look at what people did with Morrowind. If the tools are there, anything you want, you just have to wait for, or make it yourself, the sky is the limit.

Notch has already implemented an achievement system which is actually a hands-off tutorial. Expanding this to encompass new changes allows newbies to slowly acquire game knowledge instead of inundating them with features.

A lot of modders have good ideas but I doubt they really analyze much in terms of game development. I've heard that a lot of problems with mods stem from a lack of understanding as to what makes a game challenging, yet fun. The Aether mod, for example, has mobs that are just obnoxious, both in behavior and to kill. Coupled with the fact that combat in MC is shallow and building is its forte, new enemies are a bad game design decision. New blocks and avenues to acquire them, however, adds depth.

My ideas add an additional, non-required (gameplay wise) layer to the underlying mechanic of the game, which is building things. In order to build things, you need blocks. Gathering said blocks is fun at first, but gets tedious when you need large amounts. Giving the players a road to mitigate the tediousness allows concentration on the fun aspect, which is imagination and construction.

I disagree that these few new items would suddenly make the game too hardcore.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

So I tried out the the lag spike mod-fix, and everything seemed to be running smoother, so I started a new world. I make a nice cabin on a lone mountain overlooking a village, then go out on a quest for cows. After finding enough leather to make an armor outfit, I come back and climb up my mountain to find nothing. The cabin was gone, the dirt I dug out to flatten the top of the mountain was back, and looking down I even noticed a big tree I had cut down for wood had returned. Anyone have else having this issue?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

glitchwraith posted:

So I tried out the the lag spike mod-fix, and everything seemed to be running smoother, so I started a new world. I make a nice cabin on a lone mountain overlooking a village, then go out on a quest for cows. After finding enough leather to make an armor outfit, I come back and climb up my mountain to find nothing. The cabin was gone, the dirt I dug out to flatten the top of the mountain was back, and looking down I even noticed a big tree I had cut down for wood had returned. Anyone have else having this issue?

No, but I think it's the issue that pseudorandom name noticed in the code, now that I think about it. To quote him:

pseudorandom name posted:

The problem is that it checks every ten seconds to see if the chunk writer thread is out of chunks to write and then kills it externally. The check is racy, and it is possible that more chunks have been queued to be written to disk between the check and the call to Thread.stop(), which means the chunk writer thread could be killed in the middle of a write.

Funnily enough, the mod he was accused of ripping off doesn't have this problem, although I don't think it works very well, either.

Also, based on the similarities between the two mods, the original code from Minecraft is a busy loop that burns CPU time constantly and Notch is a terrible coder.

So I guess it killed the thread before it could write the cabin? Hm. Bears further investigating.

Not by me, I don't know poo poo about code.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
This game can still capture my imagination so easily. I wandered into a cavern system I'd been hauling resources out of for awhile, destroyed 2 gravel blocks and stumbled into a new section "cool", I thought.

4 hours and 350 torches later....

Just mind boggling, huge cavern system, into ridiculously huge abandoned mine, back into caverns, and then into a ravine with another cavern system on the other side. It was glorious.

Found 3 patches of exposed diamonds, and got 5 more from chests in the mine. Just had a loving blast.

This is the poo poo I love about this game, then I went overworld in a futile pursuit of the stronghold on our MP server and just about was bored to tears. Land formations are interesting, but as soon as I see a cave, I want to jump inside to do some fun poo poo.

The overland is the weakest link in this game. Villages are a nice start, but there needs to be a LOT more. Hopefully NPC interactions, and the quests are a good platform for modders to build on. I like the idea of playing the game vanilla as a rule, but again, boring overworld.

How hard is it to code in some bandit camps of aggro humans? A magic system, crazy druids who attack you for chopping down trees, some dangerous fauna, bears and poo poo, beef up the village sizes, have a "capital" spawn as well as a stronghold, where a giant human civilization lives with huge stone structures and castles, bring in some more herbologic and alchemical pursuits in addition to making tools and poo poo, more food recipes, more gathering of foods, wild wheat and fruits and poo poo.

The most interesting thing I saw in an hour of rambling the world were pumpkins, sigh.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Are pumpkin seeds still regarded to be unfindable? Because I just found some in an abandoned mine kinda mingled in with a stronghold on the seed 777.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

redmercer posted:

Are pumpkin seeds still regarded to be unfindable? Because I just found some in an abandoned mine kinda mingled in with a stronghold on the seed 777.
No, they were missing in 1.8.1 but otherwise seem to be just rare.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
Does anyone have a seed for the 1.9 pre-release that spawns you near a Nether fortress? In the sense that if I build a portal near the spawn point I pop near one. I've googled around, but haven't found anything.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Just thought I'd pop in to say that this mod is pretty drat awesome. It doubles the world height and depth. This was what I started nearby.

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Sep 26, 2011

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

there are fortresses in the nether?

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

RoboCicero posted:

Does anyone have a seed for the 1.9 pre-release that spawns you near a Nether fortress? In the sense that if I build a portal near the spawn point I pop near one. I've googled around, but haven't found anything.

There's a town not far from spawn on 777, build a portal there and you'll get it

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Krinkle posted:

there are fortresses in the nether?

There are horrible structures that man knows not what purpose they serve, terrible in their secret geometries and fecund fungal vaults, redolent with the smell of death.

Lallander
Sep 11, 2001

When a problem comes along,
you must whip it.

nightwisher posted:

It doubles the world height and depth.

Try this mod on for size.
Cubic Chunks
65504 world height. Multiplayer isn't ready yet, but he's working on it.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

pseudorandom name posted:

There are horrible structures that man knows not what purpose they serve, terrible in their secret geometries and fecund fungal vaults, redolent with the smell of death.

how do you do non-euclidean in a game made of cubes?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I didn't say they were non-Euclidean, I said they were secret.

The secret is they're cubes!

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
I feel like I'm the only person who likes the new Villager design. It's weird enough that you still feel like the only human in the world, but familiar or friendly looking enough that you could relate to them and help them out.

I kept feeling like they were reminding me of something, and then I suddenly realized how much they're like the Dabus from Planescape:

Strange humanoids in robes with their hands constantly hidden in front? Everyone looks male? Talking through words imprinted above their heads? I know it's probably a coincidence, but it's still pretty cool. :kiddo:

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

Lallander posted:

Try this mod on for size.
Cubic Chunks
65504 world height. Multiplayer isn't ready yet, but he's working on it.

Holy poo poo you aren't kidding:

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

redmercer posted:

There's a town not far from spawn on 777, build a portal there and you'll get it

Thanks! Worked like a charm.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

RoboCicero posted:

Thanks! Worked like a charm.

Do the Nether Strongholds totally remind you of Quake, as well?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Spiderfist Island posted:

I feel like I'm the only person who likes the new Villager design. It's weird enough that you still feel like the only human in the world, but familiar or friendly looking enough that you could relate to them and help them out.

I kept feeling like they were reminding me of something, and then I suddenly realized how much they're like the Dabus from Planescape:

Strange humanoids in robes with their hands constantly hidden in front? Everyone looks male? Talking through words imprinted above their heads? I know it's probably a coincidence, but it's still pretty cool. :kiddo:

they remind me a lot of the irradiated people from Beneath the Planet of the Apes

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Holy poo poo, congrats Kas, you just got the biggest namedrop possible.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

nightwisher posted:

Holy poo poo you aren't kidding:

Wow, that's awesome. Does the mod just increase the ceiling or does it increase depth as well? What I mean is - say diamond is normally 100 blocks below the level you start at - does installing that mod mean diamond is now 10000 blocks down?

Tw1tchy posted:

Holy poo poo, congrats Kas, you just got the biggest namedrop possible.

Did he just :iceburn: their own texture artist?

im a girl btw fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Sep 26, 2011

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

im a girl btw posted:

Wow, that's awesome. Does the mod just increase the ceiling or does it increase depth as well? What I mean is - say diamond is normally 100 blocks below the level you start at - does installing that mod mean diamond is now 10000 blocks down?

Apparently it does that, he talks about a lava core so maybe he's reworking how minerals are placed, the mod I'm using for 1.9 increases the depth as well as the height and scales things appropriately. I made a 10 second freefall drop to bedrock from the top of the map.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

im a girl btw posted:

Have you seen the default texture pack?

Dapper Man
Jul 12, 2006

im a girl btw posted:

If by their "texture artist" you mean jeb and notch, then yup. I don't think pixel boy has done anything for minecraft other than the logo. I don't see why they haven't had him do an overhaul of the existing assets yet.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

im a girl btw posted:

I thought... Isn't he one of them?

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I never did understand why they hired one of the best pixel artists out there only to put him to work on a different game and not you know... minecraft. At the very least they could have him make an official alternate pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

HYMEN.SYS posted:

Have you seen the default texture pack?

I try to forget it exists. I still have nightmares.