Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lazaruise posted:

Does this actually affect anything? Or does the game continue like normal afterwards?

Some of it continues like normal. After Ulysses dies, if you time it right, the helper ED-Es won't show up. After that, the invasion of the marked men will happen like usual, followed by redirecting the nukes or stopping the launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
How good is lonesome road? I remember I loved dead money but couldn't even stand to play more than 5 minutes of that lovely Zion National Park one.

TKovacs2
Sep 21, 2009

1991, 1992, 2009 = Woooooooooooo

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

How good is lonesome road? I remember I loved dead money but couldn't even stand to play more than 5 minutes of that lovely Zion National Park one.

I really liked Lonesome Road, though not as much as Old World Blues, which I think is the best Fallout DLC for NV or 3 combined.

In order, I thought Old World Blues was best, followed by Lonesome Road, Dead Money, and Honest Hearts pulling up the rear.

I personally thought Honest Hearts was really, REALLY boring...but that could be just me.

penis bandana
Aug 6, 2008

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

It's quite good. So is OWB.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Cervixalot posted:

it seems like most of the companions aren't legion or evil friendly (Boone, Cass, Veronica in particular). Who (if anyone) would be worth recruiting (besides the obvious ED-E who doesn't judge my cannibalistic habits :) ).

Raul. Guy doesn't give a poo poo what you do on your own time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Alchiba posted:

So if I were to buy DLCs not necessarily all at once, which one should I start with?

I started with Honest Hearts but I'd recommend opening with Dead Money, though that's my personal preference. Dead Money gives you a more enclosed space to work in and pretty defined, tight goals, whereas Honest Hearts is far more open and you can pretty much explore the whole area at will. I'd go with whichever option sounds more appealing to you.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
I really disliked Dead Money. They made the first part just overly long and dreary, with long streets that all looked the same with that awful purple/red hue, and the dlc would've been far better if that part was cut down to half the length. The second half was way better.

As for Honest Hearts, it's not bad. I certainly like how it's more open but I'm disappointed with the 1911 and all the .45 ACP weapons as they feel incredibly weak. Maybe it's because I'm level 35ish or whatever.

Haven't played OWB but I'm looking forward to it.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Just finished Lonesome Road and loved it. The wrecked cityscape brought back Fallout 3 memories (in a good way, I'm no F3 hater), and I loved that there are tons of hidden areas with extra loot. I haven't even finished exploring the area yet so I can't wait to get back to it.

I did notice a bug with the Industrial Hand in VATS, where instead of punching the enemy my guy will just stand there pumping his fist up and down for like 15 seconds. Kind of annoying, but otherwise it's a great new weapon.

GoldenNugget posted:

Honest Hearts
I liked it but it did feel like "we wanted this to be much bigger in scope but didn't have enough time." Also, I didn't like that there were too many areas where like 4+ monsters would attack you at once. It got ridiculous.

Roman fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 26, 2011

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

eating only apples posted:

Raul. Guy doesn't give a poo poo what you do on your own time.

Raul is cool with Legion, but the real answer is Lily. A big hulking monster that specializes in covert assassination is practically a metaphor for the Legion itself. That, and even random legionaires will comment in awe of her.

Also Rex since he is implied to have been previously owned by Caesar himself.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Wolfsheim posted:

Also Rex since he is implied to have been previously owned by Caesar himself.

Rex traded up :smug:

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Doug Lombardi posted:

lmao 2 goggles.

Sometimes two pairs of goggles isn't enough.

Specto
Jun 28, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

Absolutely none of the solutions work. I appreciate the help guys, but this is fruitless. :(

This is the error I'm getting. Annoyingly people on the official forum have had the same problem and 'solved' it, but the irritating fucks don't post how and move on afterwards. Goddammit.

I had a similar problem that I fixed by messing around with the mods I had installed. If you have mods, disable all of them but core esms and see if that fixes anything.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Cervixalot posted:

Even though I haven't finished the game yet, I already have a second playthrough character waiting in the wings (cannibal melee legion-friendly brute) waiting to cause havoc with the super sledge, but it seems like most of the companions aren't legion or evil friendly (Boone, Cass, Veronica in particular). Who (if anyone) would be worth recruiting (besides the obvious ED-E who doesn't judge my cannibalistic habits :) ).

It's worth noting that unlike other NPCs, companions won't care about cannibalism. You can chow down right in front of them and they won't do anything. Also there is a void left in that there is no Legion companion but that's because it was supposed to be Ulysses before he was cut from the main game.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pretty much done with the OP for now. I will edit the top features to look a little better later and add in "top-5 favorite goon mods".

Speaking of which, what are the top five favorite goon mods?

I also will refer people to the main modding thread by Cream-of-Plenty, I just want something to jump start people into modding.

EDIT: My vote goes for Nevada Skies and that MTUI mods. Really I don't see much of a need to mod much more than that.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Dead Man Posting posted:

I'm pretty much done with the OP for now. I will edit the top features to look a little better later and add in "top-5 favorite goon mods".

Speaking of which, what are the top five favorite goon mods?

I also will refer people to the main modding thread by Cream-of-Plenty, I just want something to jump start people into modding.

EDIT: My vote goes for Nevada Skies and that MTUI mods. Really I don't see much of a need to mod much more than that.

Project Nevada is pretty popular, though it can change the mechanics of the game significantly. If you're looking for some low-footprint mods that don't change the way the game plays, I know that Arenovalis' Weapons Retexture Project is solid. Simple to use, no plugins / FOMM / NVSE required. Just drag and drop the weapon retextures and invalidate the archives.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot
Old World Blues is probably the best out of all the DLC. It has just the right combination awesome, humor, and pewpew to make it worth every moment/penny. If you could only buy one, this is it.

I really enjoyed Dead Money for the great writing and voice acting. It was a pretty moving experience, especially if you had a very capable character and followed everything up. The sad thing is, they really build some of the characters you meet here in the other DLC which came out after this one.

Honest Hearts was... not as good as it should have been honestly. They barely did anything with Joshua and the plot is sensible, but shallow. The REAL story in Honest Hearts isn't about Joshua though, it is about the backstory you find reading in all the caves and hidden areas that when put together is very :unsmith:

LR isn't bad, and is quite a challenge. Courier 6/Ulysses is built up in the rest of the DLCs as some kind of Bizzaro other-you, like an episode of Star-Trek where a flipside version of yourself butt heads. I don't think they quite took it in the direction it should have gone and they missed an opportunity to make it a richer, more epic story. Plus his voice got on my nerves after a while. Sounds like he deepthroats sandpaper covered pineapples before each recording.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Berk Berkly posted:

...the backstory you find reading in all the caves and hidden areas that when put together is very :unsmith:
That reminds me, every time I saw those impaled Marked corpses in LR all I could see was :smith:

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Berk Berkly posted:

Honest Hearts was... not as good as it should have been honestly. They barely did anything with Joshua and the plot is sensible, but shallow. The REAL story in Honest Hearts isn't about Joshua though, it is about the backstory you find reading in all the caves and hidden areas that when put together is very :unsmith:

I went into Honest Hearts and the opening narration made it seem like it was sort of up for grabs whether he lived or died and like what happened to him would be something you would uncover during the course of the DLC and then it was literally, "let me take you to Joshua, the Burned Man," and then there he was, telling you what he wanted you to do. "Yup, still alive, ain't no thang." There was no mystery or subtlety to that aspect of it, and obviously that's sort of on me for reading what I read into it, but I really thought it was going to go in a much more interesting direction than it did.

Spoilers just in case.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Honestly though, did anyone think Joshua was dead? If the plot went in that direction I think the player would have felt as if it was fairly condescending.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
^^ no it was pretty obvious from the first time he was mentioned in the game

Berk Berkly posted:

Yeah did something go wrong with the development of Honest Hearts? At the beginning you talk to Jed Masterson and he tells you not to bring up Joshua Graham for fear of spooking the tribals and be careful of all of the warlords tearing the area apart.

Then you actually get to Zion and you find out that Joshua is just some dude that everybody knows and just loving chills with them around the fire and the whole warlord aspect was completely nonexistent. Did they just record Jed's dialog before they were able to create all of the content?

The intro to HH is hilariously abrupt too.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

poptart_fairy posted:

Honestly though, did anyone think Joshua was dead? If the plot went in that direction I think the player would have felt as if it was fairly condescending.

The Burned Man lives! no wait he's actually dead

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

GoldenNugget posted:

As for Honest Hearts, it's not bad. I certainly like how it's more open but I'm disappointed with the 1911 and all the .45 ACP weapons as they feel incredibly weak. Maybe it's because I'm level 35ish or whatever.

Haven't played OWB but I'm looking forward to it.

The regular .45 Auto Pistols are pretty weak. A Light Shining in Darkness is fairly powerful, easily the best non-revolver handgun in the game. With .45 Super rounds it's got a quick rate of fire, solid damage and an x2 crit chance multiplier. And the .45 Auto Submachine gun is a beast. Bear in mind you need to grab the Grunt perk to make these weapons worthwhile.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Alright, can someone tell me why the flamer is an energy weapon? I've logged a little under 400 hours with this game, according to steam, and I still feel like it (and the heavy/incinerator) should have been explosives.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

poptart_fairy posted:

It's not that I necessarily thought he was dead, but this:

Yodzilla posted:

Then you actually get to Zion and you find out that Joshua is just some dude that everybody knows and just loving chills with them around the fire and the whole warlord aspect was completely nonexistent. Did they just record Jed's dialog before they were able to create all of the content?

pretty much sums it up. If he had been waging a one-man guerrilla war against the White Legs while Daniel urged peace it would have been way more interesting than what actually happened. There might have even been a question about if it was Joshua or someone just using the legend for extra intimidation. Instead it was, "yes, here is Joshua Graham, the Burned Man. Collect these three things.

ThreeStone
Jul 26, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

I think that was intentional. In his dialogs Joshua makes it clear that he is trying hard not to lead the tribe as an all powerful chief. Whether or not the Dead Horses end up revering him as a new Father figure, it's not the aura he's trying to cultivate. Follows-Chalk is also a bit of an iconoclast, other members of the tribe seem to have greater reverence for the Big J. To outsiders like the caravan company the Legend of the Burned Man probably has a greater influence on them than current events.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
My first and only playthrough (including all the DLC except for Lonesome Road) was with a Sniper build using high Perception, Agility, and Luck. Things were a bit easy, so looking for suggestions on another build.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

And I do feel that, for better or worse, the events/narrative explicitly given to you by following the quests are by design only giving you half the story. Where Honest Hearts shone for me was in the exploration of Zion uncovering the actual, true history of the place and putting the official quests/narrative into a different context.

Basically, reading through the Survivalist's logs made me realize just how much was at stake in the abandonment or defense of Zion, and strongly colored my decision on what to do in the game. If I hadn't uncovered those (and the only clue to doing them is in the miscellaneous challenges section) then I would have probably felt Honest Hearts was a bit of a letdown storywise. As it was, when I left I genuinely cared about the results of my actions and how Zion would or wouldn't continue due to them.

V!ntar
Jul 12, 2010

I'll give you something to die for, baby, let's go insane.

And we can paint the town red, now show me that Crimson Rain.

Keeshhound posted:

Alright, can someone tell me why the flamer is an energy weapon? I've logged a little under 400 hours with this game, according to steam, and I still feel like it (and the heavy/incinerator) should have been explosives.

Fire is a kind of energy :ssh:

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Keeshhound posted:

Fire is considered energy. It isn't considered explosive because it doesn't explode.

jisforjosh posted:

My first and only playthrough (including all the DLC except for Lonesome Road) was with a Sniper build using high Perception, Agility, and Luck. Things were a bit easy, so looking for suggestions on another build.

Naked person with boxing gloves. Put all SPECIAL points into charisma, and all skills for Barter.

Stay Safe fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 26, 2011

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

jisforjosh posted:

If you like Guns, try a Shotgun-only run. You've got a lot of versatility between buckshot, slugs and (in GRA) EMP slugs, and you have to be relatively close in order to hit anything. Between Shotgun Surgeon and And Stay Back you have some solid perks.

Otherwise, I dunno, man. Anything's harder than sniping.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Pistol build with Luck and Charisma pumped. You're not particularly skilled, instead cruising through life on wild blindfire and luxury gained through being in the right place at the right time. :black101:

This also makes you look like a massive dick given you're breezing through life so smoothly while the rest of the Mojave suffers.

V!ntar
Jul 12, 2010

I'll give you something to die for, baby, let's go insane.

And we can paint the town red, now show me that Crimson Rain.
I just started a run with both Charisma and Luck set to 1. It's gonna be loving rad :v:

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah did something go wrong with the development of Honest Hearts?
It depends on what you consider "wrong". It had the shortest dev/testing cycle of all the DLCs (other than GRA/CS).

CommanderCoffee
Feb 27, 2011

Ladies.

rope kid posted:

It depends on what you consider "wrong". It had the shortest dev/testing cycle of all the DLCs (other than GRA/CS).

Shorter than Dead Money? Was there a particular reason?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

V!ntar posted:

I just started a run with both Charisma and Luck set to 1. It's gonna be loving rad :v:

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

rope kid posted:

Speaking of that, were the enemies spawning right in front of you in OWB intentional?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

rope kid posted:

Interesting. If you don't mind my asking and just because I'm genuinely really curious about behind the scenes of game development, how much dev time do each of these pieces of DLC get? 6 - 9 months overlapping?

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

Cervixalot posted:

Are there any 'don't miss' sidequests or areas I should hit up in an NCR - good karma playthrough? I'm at 100 Lockpicking, Speech and Science, and looking to do as many cool/fun sidequests as possible before moving the main storyline on (this is my first playthrough).

Even though I haven't finished the game yet, I already have a second playthrough character waiting in the wings (cannibal melee legion-friendly brute) waiting to cause havoc with the super sledge, but it seems like most of the companions aren't legion or evil friendly (Boone, Cass, Veronica in particular). Who (if anyone) would be worth recruiting (besides the obvious ED-E who doesn't judge my cannibalistic habits :) ).

If you are working with the NCR, you want to make sure to do all the quests out of McCarran, I missed a lot the first time through because I didn't have good enough NCR faction to get them, I didn't realize I could go kill a few fiends and come back and do them. I also failed to meet a lot of quest givers, thoroughly explore and talk to everybody at McCarran. Of particular interest are the interrogation of the Legion prisoner and the quests for Contreras in the supply shed. There is also a quest to find a spy that is very tricky and easy to fail by saying the wrong thing to the wrong person - if you're asked to find a spy, don't tell ANYONE what you are doing.

Probably don't want to keep Cass on an NCR playthrough, as her quests conflict with a pro-NCR one if you give her to the Van Graffs, they betray the Legion and start supplying weapons to the NCR. I think she's the only NPC who has problems with bad karma, so she probably wouldn't be appropriate for the evil karma run. Some of them will quit you if you do get a bad reputation with their faction (e.g. Boone and Veronica), but you can get away with being very easy with any of them except Cass (and if you alternate your evil acts with ghoul/fiend killing, you can probably keep her too). I don't think you can do anything to offend Raul, Lilly, ED-E, or Rex.

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

CaptainRat posted:

It's not that I necessarily thought he was dead, but this:

pretty much sums it up. If he had been waging a one-man guerrilla war against the White Legs while Daniel urged peace it would have been way more interesting than what actually happened. There might have even been a question about if it was Joshua or someone just using the legend for extra intimidation. Instead it was, "yes, here is Joshua Graham, the Burned Man. Collect these three things.

That would have been awesome - you could even throw in a red herring by hinting that the Survivalist may have become a ghoul, implying he is still haunting Zion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It works, it works, it works. I had to delete everything but i-...poo poo, I misplaced my save file and got rid of those too. :saddowns: