Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Mr. Peepers posted:

I believe if you kill slimes with a sword they don't drop slimeballs for some reason. The smallest slimes die in a single punch though so it's not like you really need a sword anyways.

:psyduck:

As if the process weren't convoluted enough already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Drox posted:

Water removes webs. You can use this to deal with the ones on the floor. For everything else, bring shears. Swords also work but use up 2 durability per.

Just use the sword. Shears waste up a perfectly good inventory slot for another stack of iron or cobble. Diamond swords last forever basically anyway.

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan

wyoming posted:

Notch or Jens talked about milk curing poison, no idea if it's in the game yet or not though.

Not yet, it isn't. Although I'd kind of prefer the cure to be made from something that the poison spiders themselves dropped. Makes real-world sense and feeds into that idea of only getting the easy path once you've braved the problem it fixes at least once.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

How to get slimeballs once you find a slime:

Don't attack them with a sword, doing so will kill them without splitting. For whatever reason, slimeballs only drop from the smallest slimes so you absolutely need to hit them only with your fists or other items that do no extra damage. Once they are split to their smallest, you will get slimeballs. You can easily get 10+ slimeballs from a single big slime this way since one big slime will split into 16 small ones.

As for finding them, use Rei's Minimap, light a cavern underground and just pray. Slimes are green dots on the entity minimap so if you see one, hightail your way to them.

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

PalmTreeFun posted:

Just use the sword. Shears waste up a perfectly good inventory slot for another stack of iron or cobble. Diamond swords last forever basically anyway.

Shears are WAY faster, or at least seem that way. By the time I'm deep enough underground to care about one more slot, I have enough loot to want to focus on just leaving anyway.

Jin Wicked
Jul 4, 2007

Well, I never!

Vib Rib posted:

Also, while I can get snow on snow-filled seeds like Smuggler's Bung and others, my starting island on This is a good seed gets snowfall in some areas, but no actual snow on the ground. Strange stuff.

This happened to me in new chunks generated after 1.9, but on a 1.8 world.

Glitch? New biome? I would be interested to know.

SuperSlacker
Mar 11, 2007

I have a couple of questions. If I were to buy Minecraft now and install it on my computer, would I be able to install it onto another computer later? Also, are the system requirements on Minecraft classic similar to the most recent version? I have a crappy computer but Minecraft Classic seems to work pretty well for me.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I really wish the cobwebs could be harvested or crafted from string. I'd really like to be able to use them on survival without cheating. I keep checking the 1.9 list on the wiki hoping that it gets added but no luck.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

SuperSlacker posted:

I have a couple of questions. If I were to buy Minecraft now and install it on my computer, would I be able to install it onto another computer later?

Yes, it's hilariously liberal about that sort of thing. The installation is entirely independent of any account, you just get a login screen every time you start the game, and if it's the first time on that computer, it installs it. If you can't login for whatever reason, you even get to play in offline mode.

quote:

Also, are the system requirements on Minecraft classic similar to the most recent version? I have a crappy computer but Minecraft Classic seems to work pretty well for me.

I wouldn't count on it. There have been loads of changes since Minecraft classic. How crappy is your computer?

SuperSlacker
Mar 11, 2007

I can't seem to find the minimum system requirements but my specs are: 1.53 ghz processor, 512 mb of ram, 32 mb graphics card. Yeah, I know. :/

Iananan
May 3, 2007

Portrait of the Artist as a Grump

FirePhoenix posted:

How to get slimeballs once you find a slime:

Don't attack them with a sword, doing so will kill them without splitting. For whatever reason, slimeballs only drop from the smallest slimes so you absolutely need to hit them only with your fists or other items that do no extra damage. Once they are split to their smallest, you will get slimeballs. You can easily get 10+ slimeballs from a single big slime this way since one big slime will split into 16 small ones.

As for finding them, use Rei's Minimap, light a cavern underground and just pray. Slimes are green dots on the entity minimap so if you see one, hightail your way to them.

Basically, if you overkill a slime, it won't split. Didn't used to be a problem, because 2 arrows would kill a big one perfectly, 1 arrow would kill the medium ones perfectly, and punching would kill the harmless little ones.

Now what I do is fire 1 fully charged arrow at a large one, and punch and punch and punch.

I die a lot more in 1.8

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

SuperSlacker posted:

I can't seem to find the minimum system requirements but my specs are: 1.53 ghz processor, 512 mb of ram, 32 mb graphics card. Yeah, I know. :/

Wow that's pretty bad. You should probably invest a hundred bucks on a machine from 2005.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

:psyduck:

As if the process weren't convoluted enough already.

We're entering JRPG territory here!

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Is there a quick fix for 1.8 and the enormous 2-3 second pauses every few seconds? I get it online and in single player. Or do I just need to wait for a patch.

RandyF
Oct 27, 2000

K100 W900 T800 C500
TRUCKS TRUCKS TRUCKS!!!
So, I was thinking about abandoning my 1.8 project for 1.9-pre, but then I saw something about 1.10 being out soon. Does anyone know if 1.10 will require map-gen? I could probably skip 1.9 at this point if 1.10 will require new maps.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The life of a farmer is demanding, lonesome, and sometimes even tedious.

But at the end of the day, it's good, honest work.

RandyF posted:

So, I was thinking about abandoning my 1.8 project for 1.9-pre, but then I saw something about 1.10 being out soon.
What, where did you see that?
1.9 isn't even officially out yet.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 27, 2011

RandyF
Oct 27, 2000

K100 W900 T800 C500
TRUCKS TRUCKS TRUCKS!!!

Vib Rib posted:

What, where did you see that?
1.9 isn't even officially out yet.

Somewhere on reddit I think. But that's why I was asking... I think people get ahead of themselves over there sometimes.

[edit]
It was a Notch tweet:

http://twitter.com/!/notch/statuses/116848037707513856

Notch Tweeted posted:

We'll do a 1.9 pre-release today, and a full release after feedback. More Adventure Mode content will come in 1.10, we're splitting it up!

Maybe I was just reading too much into it the first time I saw it. (I was out of town for the last few days and have not been keeping up with the progress of things).

RandyF fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 27, 2011

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

EightBit posted:

Wow that's pretty bad. You should probably invest a hundred bucks on a machine from 2005.

I feel bad because that machine is worse than my girlfriend's old computer from 2004 that could run Minecraft in the browser window only. I'm surprised he can get on the internet with those specs.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Yes, you got it wrong. It doesn't mean that 1.10 will come immediately, it just means that the Adventure Update will not be feature complete until 1.10.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
It's basically just a netbook with less RAM and a slightly shittier graphics. Still won't play it well, but it's not "LOL, won't run XP or Chrome" bad.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

It's basically just a netbook with less RAM and a slightly shittier graphics. Still won't play it well, but it's not "LOL, won't run XP or Chrome" bad.

If it's got a 32 meg graphics card, odds are it's a Pentium 3 or Pentium M, so those 1.5 Ghz are nowhere near as fast as an atom clocked at that rate.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Nenonen posted:

Yes, you got it wrong. It doesn't mean that 1.10 will come immediately, it just means that the Adventure Update will not be feature complete until 1.10.

I'm just starting to get this feeling, that Notch is planning to release 1.11 on 11/11/11.

That's just what Notch would do. We're getting rapid fire updates to satisfy a coincidence.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Node posted:

Is there a quick fix for 1.8 and the enormous 2-3 second pauses every few seconds? I get it online and in single player. Or do I just need to wait for a patch.

Lag Spike of Death 1.8.1 fixed it for me.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Uncle Jam posted:

I'm just starting to get this feeling, that Notch is planning to release 1.11 on 11/11/11.

That's just what Notch would do. We're getting rapid fire updates to satisfy a coincidence.

The official launch will happen in MineCon, a week later though. He first wanted it to happen on 11th but then realized that to book a place in Las-loving-Vegas this late you would have to construct your own hotel first. I doubt they'd release a 1.11 just one week before the release.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
So it's probably because I'm an idiot but I can't seem to find any great tutorials or howtos on how to create a good indoor animal farm for food purposes. Would I be better off just spending the extra time to create a big, multi-level mob farm with lava? I just want some food. :(

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Legs Benedict posted:

So it's probably because I'm an idiot but I can't seem to find any great tutorials or howtos on how to create a good indoor animal farm for food purposes. Would I be better off just spending the extra time to create a big, multi-level mob farm with lava? I just want some food. :(

Get lots and lots of chicken eggs, throw them into a pen to attempt to hatch more chickens. When you've got a fucktonne of chickens, you can murder them for tasty meat while still keeping some egg-layers around. Chickens can suffocate in opaque blocks though, so be sure to fence them in with actual fence posts so they don't push eachother into walls and die.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Legs Benedict posted:

You can't farm animals yet. The only exception is chickens which can spawn from eggs.

Other than that, you can make a fish pond.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Flubby posted:

I really wish the cobwebs could be harvested or crafted from string. I'd really like to be able to use them on survival without cheating. I keep checking the 1.9 list on the wiki hoping that it gets added but no luck.

String plus slimeball would be perfect for player made cobweb.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Legs Benedict posted:

Do wheat farming. Make a big enough field and you'll never go hungry again.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

PalmTreeFun posted:

http://imgur.com/a/7fUND :shobon:

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

PalmTreeFun posted:

I took over a village and restructured it around my home. Just need to work on some defences.

Plenty of food. :3:

-e-

Vanadium posted:

Oh wow, that just makes mine looks inadequate and dated. :(

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Vanadium posted:

Does flooding it to harvest the wheat wet the dirt enough for it to all be replanted?

Otherwise I'm having trouble seeing how you plant it all.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

There's actually water between and to the sides of the dirt, but there's cobblestone around it because I don't like falling into water.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK
Since we're sharing farm designs, here's my first significant foray into using pistons, for wheat and sugarcane farming:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebKwAR7oNH8

I'm sure I could make the sugarcane more efficient (as in easier to collect) but I'm not 100% sure if it's possible without expanding the building. Edit: The wheat farm has been altered since then to better conceal the redstone, and there are several water blocks under the glass wall blocks to keep the farmland irrigated.

Also, my melon/pumpkin farms again that I posted a couple weeks ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NII_T6SFT_M

I'm not entirely sure there's not an easier way to collect these (outside of mods) but the total harvest is pretty good.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

SuperSlacker posted:

The video card and system ram will probably kill your chances. Less than £200 Will get an AMD Zacate e350 APU board with 8GB+ of ram, small case, PSU and DVD burner. Would be a major upgrade for you and doubles as a the heart of a home cinema system or a solid office rig.

Now people have run crysis 2 flawlessly on those tiny dual core 1.6Ghz x86_64 chips with the integrated Radeon 6130 GPU but they struggle a bit on Minecraft in full 1080p. Works better if you connect to a separate server so you don't have to worry about chunk generation.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

pseudorandom name posted:

Tell me how this works. Now. :)

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'm pretty sure the farmland is attached to pistons and they lower, breaking the wheat.

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!
There is no way that is resource efficient. But it is still awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

You gotta use your gigantic pile of redstone and slimeballs for something, right?