Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Dead Man Posting posted:

If you guys take clean pictures of your character with the HUD disabled, I'll put it up in the OP along with a link to your post telling your character's story. This is highly subjectable and limited though since I don't want to flood it with images.
Here's the guy I've been playing as for a while: Ferryman, former Talon Company merc from the Capital Wasteland. He never minded hunting down scumbags or killing Super Mutants, but grew disgusted with the job once Talon Company got hired by some unknown party to keep the Capital Wasteland a lawless, disorganized place, turning them into a bunch of glorified Raiders. He kept out of the seedier contracts as much as possible, sticking mostly to Super Mutant hunts. One day he returned to Fort Bannister to find some rear end in a top hat had wiped out Commander Jabsco and all the other mercs single-handedly. That was all the excuse he needed to get the hell out of there and make his way west.

It's also an excuse to plug my Talon Pack mod, with weapon textures by Arenovalis:
http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=39441

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Psyker posted:

Wait until tomorrow, get the Gun Runners DLC too, start a new dude, and go nuts!

ANOTHER DLC is coming out? Jesus christ. I just don't have the money for this game. :negative:

Here's hoping someone puts it up on steamgifts and I win it! :cheers:

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I should add mine as well.

Fordon Greedman roams the Mojave like any hard-working courier does: loaded with at least one sniper rifle, pistol, melee weapon, various explosives, over 100 stimpacks, and vanity magazines that tell sex secrets how to sell gecko hides. As mentioned earlier, he takes after his adopted Grandma Lily and is very sneaky and clever. With long walks on the beach Mojave desert wearing a Brotherhood of Steel Scribe's robe and some fancy headdress that USED to have a head in it, Fordon Greedman roams about skillfully plotting and scheming how to encourage events to unfold to eventually rule Vegas and rename it City 16.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Just finished Lonesome Road. Hooooooly gently caress that was a good DLC. The location/area was incredible. Such a surprisingly detailed maze of ruins. And tough as hell too.

And that Elite Riot Gear :swoon:

Red Glare is fun but explosives have never been my thing so whatever, Elijah'a Asvanced LAER + Meltdown perk can handle anything

Now for GRA to come out!

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
How do you disable the HUD and centre the view on your character?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Dead Man Posting posted:

Tell the story of the last one :allears:

The Pugilist had a thing for getting in over his head. It was always the drink, the Buffout, the punching. His boxing career ended before it started, spoiling in New Reno along with the dairy farm he won in staring contest. Couriering in the Mojave didn't turn out much better. After waking up with a bullet in his head, he chose to shelve his messenger bag. But he was left with a void: Questions unanswered; enemies on the loose. Things were bungled in Goodsprings...a lot of people got punched in the mix-up. A lot of shallow graves. It was a rocky start on the path to New Vegas, but the Pugilist knew better.

Somebody was going to get a knuckle sandwich.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

CommissarMega posted:

F lets you rotate the camera, the hud thing I believe might need a console command and screen shots are very much easier to make using the free camera command in the console, it lets you move it where you like. TCF, I think?

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

CommissarMega posted:

~ for console
tfc for free roam camera
tfc 1 for free roam camera and pause game
tm to remove the hud

jvempire
May 10, 2009

Little is known about the Gunslinger's past... and it sadly will stay that way. Because he died while messing with a grenade launcher, ending his story prematurely. ALWAYS: Safety first before using explosives.

Also I feel that these screenshots capture the mood of New Vegas quite well:

Boone. Being wacky.

Boone. Being wacky again.

This picture symbolizes me flipping the bird at the cazadores.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
So I beat Lonesome Road last night and got the Scourge of the East perk from it. Problem is that my SPECIAL is all full and I got another point to put in. I can't exit the screen to add it so basically I am stuck. Anyway to unstuck myself here?

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD
The console command you used to raise your stats? Try using it to lower them.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Freeside hobos messed with the wrong crew.

Dr. Abysmal fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Sep 27, 2011

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Djarum posted:

So I beat Lonesome Road last night and got the Scourge of the East perk from it. Problem is that my SPECIAL is all full and I got another point to put in. I can't exit the screen to add it so basically I am stuck. Anyway to unstuck myself here?

console command CAM for close all menus might do the trick too.

ComradeCasey
Jul 7, 2008

by Duchess Gummybuns
Hrmm yes fanfics goonsire post more!!

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Dr. Abysmal posted:

New Vegas.jpg, right there! I'm curious as to what that axe is? Is it part of a mod? Or a vanilla weapon?

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

ComradeCasey posted:

Hrmm yes fanfics goonsire post more!!

Actually the fanfics are fun since it's a game where people enjoy playing their own dude with their own idea of what their character used to be. Most of the thread's probably enjoying the pics of other people's guys and hearing about fun poo poo they've done or stupid things the game has tried to do to then. Maybe cheer up a little bit.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

J Bjelke-Postersen posted:

Actually the fanfics are fun since it's a game where people enjoy playing their own dude with their own idea of what their character used to be. Most of the thread's probably enjoying the pics of other people's guys and hearing about fun poo poo they've done or stupid things the game has tried to do to then. Maybe cheer up a little bit.

They're really awful and embarrassing. No offence to the folks who came up with fleshed out lives for the pretend people.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Bash Ironfist posted:

New Vegas.jpg, right there! I'm curious as to what that axe is? Is it part of a mod? Or a vanilla weapon?

Looks like a Proton Inversal Axe from Old World Blues.

Azraden
Oct 26, 2010

Ooh - a crevice

Knuc If U Buck posted:

They're really awful and embarrassing. No offence to the folks who came up with fleshed out lives for the pretend people.

Role playing in a role playing game? Nerds. :smug:

I hope I have enough time to start a new guy tomorrow with the launch of the new DLC. I've been so busy lately I haven't even had a chance to play Lonesome Road. :ohdear:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

jvempire posted:

Motherfucker is touching Boone's beret :stare:

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

Knuc If U Buck posted:

This is the whole point of giving the character no discernible background outside of "is a courier."

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Three of them were comedic, so I guess not only are you coming off as a tool, but you're also immune to comedy on a comedy site.

No, I don't think you "get" role playing games.
VVVVV

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Sep 27, 2011

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

There's a difference between role playing within a game and posting little monkey cheese stories about the characters lives. I guess I just don't "get" the humour.

CommanderCoffee
Feb 27, 2011

Ladies.

Knuc If U Buck posted:

There's a difference between role playing within a game and posting little monkey cheese stories about the characters lives. I guess I just don't "get" the humour.

We get it, you don't like it when people make interesting, humorous backstories for their characters and so you choose to stay with the fairly one-dimensional stuff given to you in the game (You're a courier. You got shot. That's all!) Don't call them 'little monkey cheese stories' when in the end, they're just trying to have fun.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

When a game immediately asks me what type of dude I am with specific questions about my ability as well as my personality (which the Doc does) I sort of think "why is this guy like this." That's half the fun of an RPG.

I've never played a pen and paper RPG because I don't have any friends who would do that kind of poo poo, but the character creation aspects sound really neat.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
So I was a little confused by Ulysses' relationship with the Legion, on one hand he seems to consider them superior or at least more durable than NCR, and has a large degree of loyalty towards its ideals and leaders, while at the same time showing practically no regret at his actions as a frumentarii, and yet he seems to be really resentful about their treatment of the his tribe and history in general while barely batting an eye at you nuking one of their camps. I played an NCR favoring independent run so does he have a different reaction if you have good relations with the Legion? It all just seems a bit contradictory.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

All of my guys are me, but with guns, and not wusses.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

All my guys have low int and charisma because I want to know how people who aren't me feel.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

khwarezm posted:

So I was a little confused by Ulysses' relationship with the Legion, on one hand he seems to consider them superior or at least more durable than NCR, and has a large degree of loyalty towards its ideals and leaders, while at the same time showing practically no regret at his actions as a frumentarii, and yet he seems to be really resentful about their treatment of the his tribe and history in general while barely batting an eye at you nuking one of their camps. I played an NCR favoring independent run so does he have a different reaction if you have good relations with the Legion? It all just seems a bit contradictory.

What I got out of it was while Ulysses never liked the Legion's methods, the fact that their overall was goal getting all of America under one banner again was enough to get him to work with them. But when he found the Divide, he thought he no longer needed the Legion to accomplish this so he abandoned them.

One thing I want to know about Ulysses's time with the Legion: how in hell did he get away with keeping his dreads? That was the main symbol of the Twisted Hairs, and Caesar makes sure all symbols of concurred tribes get annihilated, to the point where tattoo's get burned off with acid and forced breeding with once rival tribes. He couldn't have gone back to dreads after abandoning the Legion either because when he ran with the White Legs they copied his hairstyle to his dismay, so why did Ulysses get to be an exception?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

poptart_fairy posted:

It works, it works, it works. I had to delete everything but i-...poo poo, I misplaced my save file and got rid of those too. :saddowns:

I'm starting to think the save games were corrupting your game. So you might have needed to start over anyway.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Orange Crush Rush posted:

One thing I want to know about Ulysses's time with the Legion: how in hell did he get away with keeping his dreads? That was the main symbol of the Twisted Hairs, and Caesar makes sure all symbols of concurred tribes get annihilated, to the point where tattoo's get burned off with acid and forced breeding with once rival tribes. He couldn't have gone back to dreads after abandoning the Legion either because when he ran with the White Legs they copied his hairstyle to his dismay, so why did Ulysses get to be an exception?

Have you seen how much HP that dude has? Caesar don't wanna gently caress with that.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Mordaedil posted:

I'm starting to think the save games were corrupting your game. So you might have needed to start over anyway.

Yeah, looking back that seems the most likely cause - the issues did start the moment I completed it after all. Nonetheless, gives me an excuse to go all out on this new one and do everything before commiting to my ending.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

poptart_fairy posted:

Yeah, looking back that seems the most likely cause - the issues did start the moment I completed it after all. Nonetheless, gives me an excuse to go all out on this new one and do everything before commiting to my ending.

Yeah on the plus side you can gently caress around with all of the guns and ammo types and poo poo coming out tomorrow.

In fact that lead nicely into this preview: (gonna get that special Brush Gun and Hunting Rifle)
http://www.bethblog.com/index.php/2011/09/26/bring-the-boom-with-gun-runners-arsenal/

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Considering that he was a frumentarius he was automatically given more leeway to complete his mission, since he would have been deep in non-legion territory they would hardly send a hit squad after him while he was building a very useful alliance just cause they didn't dig his dreads. Besides, while he was out in middle of nowhere, how could any prominent legion guys even have known? The way I see it he just exploited the luxury of isolation to remember some of his tribes customs.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Knuc If U Buck posted:

I wish I was as cool as you, Knuc If U Buck from the Something Awful Forums

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Stop having fun, you guys. Guys, stop having fun. No seriously guys. I mean it. Stop having fun.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I had fun once, it was terrible.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Knuc If U Buck posted:

Yes, everyone has already seen what roleplaying can be done within the game so made-up literature has more impact because it is free from the restrictions placed upon them by the game engine and thus can be vastly more interesting to read about than outright copying word for word what characters in the game are saying.

Personally, I don't think they are that interesting, so I just skip over reading them, what is the harm they do?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Content question about Spring Mountain Visitors Centre; Has anyone found both hotel room keys? I could only find A2.

EDIT: I resized the pics for my awful, awful, monkey cheese story.

BlackIronHeart fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Sep 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I'm now playing through Honest Hearts and I've got to say, I am really enjoying it. I am actually enjoying exploring Zion more then I do the Mojave.

When I'm in the Mojave I continually miss large sections of the map and just feel like exploring is a chore, I frequently just go straight to quest objectives. There is something different about Zion, maybe because it's smaller, not so overwhelming. It's also nice being able to walk around without accidentally triggering another quest chain and then feel obligated to do it right then.

I'll either try and explore as much as I possibly can now or keep making trips back here when I finished the main quest.