Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007
The city I live in with over 300,000+ people only has one midwife who is certified to practice within a hospital. The rest do home births. I didn't feel comfortable doing a home birth so that basically means I had to go with an OB. Luckily I found an awesome OB who only has a 7% C-section rate and who will let me do pretty much whatever I want. I think it's possible to find awesome OBs, it just takes a bit of research.

On a side note...anyone else experience a lot of labial swelling? This suuuuucks. It doesn't hurt or anything but I don't recognize myself down there anymore and it's really disconcerting. Plus, it's super uncomfortable to have any sort of relations with my husband. I feel so bad but at the same time...good lord it's unlike anything I've seen before! Please tell me I'm not alone...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
Totally normal, there is such an increased flow of blood there when pregnant. It goes away after delivery and the swelling from THAT.

Kubricize
Apr 29, 2010

FretforyourLatte posted:

Re: those leg cramps, everything I have been reading indicates there is actually no connection to needing more potassium or calcium, but hey, it sure can't hurt to have more of both of them in my life and I love yogurt anyway. Didn't get them last night at least, but the night before when they were terrible and recurring was an unusual event and not a constant problem. Hopefully it won't persist like that because I've got a long way to go.

I found if I didn't eat a banana a day, I got them bad at night when I was asleep. I could feel them coming on though by the tightening in my calf and would half wake up and point my toes at my face and it would prevent them from becoming full blown charlie horses. Weird but effective, if you're aware enough when sleeping, you can try that. It works for charlie horses during the day for my hubby too, during class and co op he ends up sitting a lot and gets them sometimes.

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!

Mangue posted:

On a side note...anyone else experience a lot of labial swelling? This suuuuucks. It doesn't hurt or anything but I don't recognize myself down there anymore and it's really disconcerting. Plus, it's super uncomfortable to have any sort of relations with my husband. I feel so bad but at the same time...good lord it's unlike anything I've seen before! Please tell me I'm not alone...

Maaan having sex just sucks lately, I swear. I feel terrible too because he's clearly getting annoyed about it but I can't help it, it's just so uncomfortable. :(

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

I had one terrible night a couple of weeks ago where I woke up and both legs were cramping in OPPOSITE DIRECTIONS at the same time. One foot was pointing out and the other was cramping up towards my face. I had no idea that could happen but it resulted in me standing up by the bed, clutching onto the wall and trying to force them to decramp by standing in weird positions while trying not to wail in pain.

An hour later it happened AGAIN and in my tired, in-pain, 2am state I hobbled over to my desk and shook a canister of Lite salt (a 1/2 salt, 1/2 potassium mix) over my mouth in desperation (you know you're pregnant when...). Since then I've noticed that as long as I get enough potassium (usually by using the Lite salt liberally over at least one meal a day), I don't get cramps. Which is great, because even to stop the pain, dumping salt into your mouth at 2am is not at all pleasant.

car dance
May 12, 2010

Ben is actually an escaped polar bear, posing as a human.

Unlikely because Polar Bears do not know how to speak.
Also it does not make any sense.
I'm at almost 19 weeks and I feel like little fingers are trying to stab me through my abdomen. Is this normal? Is it possible for kicks/movement to actually be hurting me?

LuckyDaemon
Jan 14, 2006

Lower your standards.
This means dating fat girls because you can't do better.
Could it be gas pains? I noticed my digestion wasn't up to par during pregnancy. Baby movement back then felt like lovely little flutters. It wasn't until about 30 weeks when I started to get kind of "ow my kidney" type kicks.

scheissmacht
Oct 23, 2000
Hi thread, haven't posted since I announced (I hardly post anywhere really) but I've been reading all along and picking up a lot of info. Ildri Dawn was born on Friday at 6:28AM, clocking in at 8lb 3oz and 20 1/4" long, I am one proud papa :)

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

car dance posted:

I'm at almost 19 weeks and I feel like little fingers are trying to stab me through my abdomen. Is this normal? Is it possible for kicks/movement to actually be hurting me?

My wife has been getting the poo poo kicked out of her insides since at least 18 weeks. She says it's slowly getting less painful now at 28, since the bub has less room to wind up and take a swing. There are times it looks like she's got an alien chest burster inside her, trying to claw its way out. :)

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn
I had to go to the ER last night because I was uncontrollably vomiting and having severe cramping on my right side. They did an ultrasound and found out that I am six weeks, 1 day based on fetal size. I don't have an ectopic pregnancy, but I do have a really big (like, it made the ultrasound tech go, "Wow. That is a large cyst on your ovary.") luteum cyst on my right ovary that is most likely causing the really awful right-sided cramping. I got some phenergan and fluids through an IV and felt less vomit-y but not much better. Apparently I'm a lucky woman and caught the pregnant and a stomach bug at the same time. I have some Zofran suppositories to take at home.

I had no idea luteum cysts existed or could cause severe cramping and radiating pain if they were big enough. The constant vomiting wasn't helping, either.

On the plus side, I got to peek in and see the heartbeat. That was the only upside to last night.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corpus_luteum_cyst

Gumby Orgy fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 26, 2011

car dance
May 12, 2010

LuckyDaemon posted:

Could it be gas pains? I noticed my digestion wasn't up to par during pregnancy. Baby movement back then felt like lovely little flutters. It wasn't until about 30 weeks when I started to get kind of "ow my kidney" type kicks.

I'd say yes except it feels like it moves from one side to another and happens randomly for like 30 minutes and then goes away. It just literally feels like a finger rubbing against the inside of my lower body, complete with pressure and pain. I can't feel anything on the outside. I have an appointment with my midwife today so I'm going to ask her about it. Thanks.

Doom Catcher
Sep 11, 2001

Sometimes, I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion!
So my midwife wrangled me another ultrasound and it is a GIRL!

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Gumby Orgy posted:

I had no idea luteum cysts existed or could cause severe cramping and radiating pain if they were big enough. The constant vomiting wasn't helping, either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corpus_luteum_cyst

Yup! I used to get them. I also had an 11cm cyst on an ovary throughout my entire pregnancy although that one was a different type. Pregnancy was mostly uneventful and the labor/birth went relatively smoothly.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Less than seven weeks to go...we just moved so we're working hard to get the new house ready (and by we I mean she's sitting on the couch and giving me tasks to do.) There's not a lot left to do so it's just a countdown to baby time.

The only concerning thing is that my work doesn't seem to be concerned (or really understanding) that I will be mostly gone for three weeks when the baby comes. I run an IT department all by myself so I sure hope they don't think they can call and I'll just drop everything :) HR knows about it and is well aware but the bosses are...well...bosses and don't like to do things like think ahead.

Oh well. Maybe they'll pay attention next time if we end up having a problem.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS

JBark posted:

My wife has been getting the poo poo kicked out of her insides since at least 18 weeks. She says it's slowly getting less painful now at 28, since the bub has less room to wind up and take a swing. There are times it looks like she's got an alien chest burster inside her, trying to claw its way out. :)

Hahaha tell her to enjoy the lull while she can. I'm at 37 weeks and now even the shifting around packs quite the punch, never mind the little bony elbows and knees poking out in the most sensitive places. My bladder and colon also take quite the beating every day. I'm starting to look forward to the birth so my husband can take the beating too!

car dance
May 12, 2010

car dance posted:

I'd say yes except it feels like it moves from one side to another and happens randomly for like 30 minutes and then goes away. It just literally feels like a finger rubbing against the inside of my lower body, complete with pressure and pain. I can't feel anything on the outside. I have an appointment with my midwife today so I'm going to ask her about it. Thanks.

Turns out she says that it's kicking since the location is moving. Sometimes, due to positioning of the upper uterus, kicking can feel like it hurts. Today she tried to take the baby's heart rate again and s/he would not hold still for her. We could hear the thumps of kicking though. I think I just have an active baby in there. We're gonna call it Scooter for now. :3:

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

bamzilla posted:

Yup! I used to get them. I also had an 11cm cyst on an ovary throughout my entire pregnancy although that one was a different type. Pregnancy was mostly uneventful and the labor/birth went relatively smoothly.

They are going to watch it to make sure it goes down. If it doesn't, they say that they will look at other options after I pop my alien out. I'm not sure what that means, but I am guessing that they didn't want to freak me out.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Gumby Orgy posted:

They are going to watch it to make sure it goes down. If it doesn't, they say that they will look at other options after I pop my alien out. I'm not sure what that means, but I am guessing that they didn't want to freak me out.

It was a pretty simple surgery, actually (laparoscopy with 2 tiny incisions, however the cyst was larger than expected so she also had to do a smallish cut along the bikini area). Minimal pain, quick recovery. The cyst didn't interfere at all with the pregnancy or the birth, though and was removed because it was twisting itself around my ovary.

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Sep 27, 2011

Incongruous
Feb 11, 2003

Now there's something you don't see every day!
Those of you who have used the Bradley Method for childbirth:

Are the classes really necessary, or will I be okay if I get the book(s) and read really carefully? None of the Bradley classes offered in my area fit in with my schedule.

Crabsurd
Dec 19, 2006

Gumby Orgy posted:

I had a roughly 9cm long ovarian cyst throughout my pregnancy. It didn't have any effect on the pregnancy or birth. They watched it after I gave birth to see if it would go down, and it never did (I think it got a bit bigger). Anyway, like bam, I had laparoscopic surgery and it was a piece of cake - I was out of hospital a couple of hours after waking up. Aside from a bit of discomfort from the gas they pump in there, it was completely fine. :)

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

Incongruous posted:

Those of you who have used the Bradley Method for childbirth:

Are the classes really necessary, or will I be okay if I get the book(s) and read really carefully? None of the Bradley classes offered in my area fit in with my schedule.

I've only read this Bradley book so far, but it seems to me that they forgot to include the, um, method. I can't judge them all by this one, but I'd think you'd need the classes. (And the one person in my area who intended to get certified is having a difficult pregnancy herself and won't be getting certified anytime soon, so I guess no Bradley method for me!)

I've ordered the Hypnobabies self-study course. Anyone have experience with it?

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007
Anyone looking into the Bradley method should also look for Brio classes in their area. From what I understand, they are very similar. Brio is basically just an updated version of Bradley. There was only like one person in my area who did Bradley but there were 3 people who teach Brio. Try your luck with that and see if it helps to find more classes.

Here is the link to their main website: http://www.briobirth.com/

As a side note, I don't start my Brio classes until next month and I have never taken Bradley so I can't comment on how different/similar they are.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn
I'm apparently going to be a bridesmaid in March (wtf). How in the world am I going to be able to get a dress that fits? I'll be nearly 8 months along at that point. How big will I be? I'm sure one of you has been through this.

I've already talked to her about the problem of shoes and she's agreed to let me wear flats, thankfully.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher
Get some type of maxi dress. http://www.trendytummymaternity.com/jane-one-shoulder-maternity-formal-maxi-dress.html

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
It can be done, as long as the bride understands that you might be wearing a different dress (though the same color as the others). Also, make sure she understands that you will have to be able to sit a LOT. 8 months pregnant is pretty heavy, and it's easy to get winded and lightheaded then (or at least it was for me).

Prolonged Shame
Sep 5, 2004

Gumby Orgy posted:

I'm apparently going to be a bridesmaid in March (wtf). How in the world am I going to be able to get a dress that fits? I'll be nearly 8 months along at that point. How big will I be? I'm sure one of you has been through this.

I've already talked to her about the problem of shoes and she's agreed to let me wear flats, thankfully.

I am going through this right now. I'm 29 weeks along and am going to be a bridesmaid this weekend. The dress the bride selected did not have a maternity option, but my mom altered it to fit the bump. The bride has yet to specify what she wants us to wear for shoes so I'm probably going to go with nice flats.

You will be huge and you definitely won't feel pretty in your enormous bridesmaid dress. If you go dress shopping with your bride most places have a pillow thing they shove under dresses to see what a maternity style would look like. Someplace like David's Bridal would probably have the most maternity options.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

but no one can talk to a horse, of course.
I was a maid of honor at 32 weeks! Fortunately we were allowed to wear whatever black dress we wanted, and whatever shoes we wanted. I was perfectly fine and felt pretty cute in my outfit. I even danced a bunch at the reception (in between pee breaks and bites of cake).

"Maternity-appropriate" bridesmaid dresses at David's

But I ended up finding a non-maternity maxi dress that I can wear throughout and after pregnancy. If you choose something in a stretchy jersey material, which you probably should, I highly recommend wearing one of these jawns underneath. (They come in handy for under regular dresses, too.) If you can, I also recommend trying to find a dress you can wear with a normal bra.

Spending a lot of money on formalwear while pregnant is pretty much the biggest waste of money EVER, especially since it often includes special underwear, alterations and shoes. You have more important financial concerns when there's a baby on the way, so do what you can to get things you really can wear again. Only the most bridezilla of brides would insist on a yellow satin mermaid dress and 4" heels when you're 8 months pregnant.

Doom Catcher
Sep 11, 2001

Sometimes, I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion!

Mangue posted:

Anyone looking into the Bradley method should also look for Brio classes in their area. From what I understand, they are very similar. Brio is basically just an updated version of Bradley. There was only like one person in my area who did Bradley but there were 3 people who teach Brio. Try your luck with that and see if it helps to find more classes.

Here is the link to their main website: http://www.briobirth.com/

As a side note, I don't start my Brio classes until next month and I have never taken Bradley so I can't comment on how different/similar they are.
Thank you so much for this... There are only two Bradley instructors in my area and both have classes on the same night at the same time which is the worst time possible for me. Definitely gonna check this out.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

The Young Marge posted:

I was a maid of honor at 32 weeks! Fortunately we were allowed to wear whatever black dress we wanted, and whatever shoes we wanted. I was perfectly fine and felt pretty cute in my outfit. I even danced a bunch at the reception (in between pee breaks and bites of cake).

"Maternity-appropriate" bridesmaid dresses at David's

But I ended up finding a non-maternity maxi dress that I can wear throughout and after pregnancy. If you choose something in a stretchy jersey material, which you probably should, I highly recommend wearing one of these jawns underneath. (They come in handy for under regular dresses, too.) If you can, I also recommend trying to find a dress you can wear with a normal bra.

Spending a lot of money on formalwear while pregnant is pretty much the biggest waste of money EVER, especially since it often includes special underwear, alterations and shoes. You have more important financial concerns when there's a baby on the way, so do what you can to get things you really can wear again. Only the most bridezilla of brides would insist on a yellow satin mermaid dress and 4" heels when you're 8 months pregnant.

I ended up at David's Bridal today and was able to find a non-maternity dress that will work. I have to go back monthly and check the fit, but it actually looked pretty cute, even with the belly form on! I have gigantic breasts but the rest of me isn't very big, so that made finding a dress that will probably fit when I'm almost 8 months along much easier because I have tons of belly room. For once, my breasts came in handy (never thought I'd write that!).

I didn't know they made pregnancy spanx. Although, I didn't know maternity panties were a thing until a week ago, either.

This is the dress I picked out that the bride approved of that also happened to be on sale.

How accurate are those belly forms in approximating a large pregnant belly?

Fire In The Disco posted:

It can be done, as long as the bride understands that you might be wearing a different dress (though the same color as the others). Also, make sure she understands that you will have to be able to sit a LOT. 8 months pregnant is pretty heavy, and it's easy to get winded and lightheaded then (or at least it was for me).

Oh, she is definitely aware and perfectly okay with me having a different dress. In fact, she told us all which color and length she wanted, then told us to pick out our own dress. It turns out that the dress I chose was the exact same one another bridesmaid picked out. She is also okay with me possibly having a chair waiting for me at the alter. She said that anything I need to keep me in the wedding is fine by her :3:

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Gumby Orgy posted:

I didn't know they made pregnancy spanx. Although, I didn't know maternity panties were a thing until a week ago, either.

Pregnancy spanx sound like the worst thing imaginable. Maybe a maternity corset would be worst, but I don't think they make those. Maternity panties, on the other hand, are awesome. Comfort incarnate.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Brennanite posted:

Pregnancy spanx sound like the worst thing imaginable. Maybe a maternity corset would be worst, but I don't think they make those. Maternity panties, on the other hand, are awesome. Comfort incarnate.

I actually wore some Motherhood Maternity pregnancy panties that were knockoff Spanx to a formal party when I was around 7 months pregnant, and they were suuuuuuuper comfortable. I wish regular Spanx were that comfortable.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn
I am a dumbass and posted stupid livejournal poo poo.

Gumby Orgy fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 28, 2011

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Gumby Orgy posted:

Do pregnancy spanx have a built-in pee hole? I always ended up having to take spanx off when I had to pee or risk peeing on it, despite the pee hole.

Edit: a maternity corset looks so, so horrible.

I think you answered your own question. If you can't do it when not pregnant, I imagine a giant belly will make it 100x harder. Since you're pregnant you can always just pee on yourself and people will understand :haw:

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.

Gumby Orgy posted:

Do pregnancy spanx have a built-in pee hole? I always ended up having to take spanx off when I had to pee or risk peeing on it, despite the pee hole.

If you can't pee in a regular set of spanx at regular size, how in the name of Jesus do you think you're going to manage when you're the size of a small whale? Think for a minute.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn
I wasn't suggesting that I was planning on peeing in the pregnancy spanx. But, I guess I made it sound like that, didn't it?

I suppose what I am trying to ask is if pregnancy spanx are easier to get on and off than regular spanx.

Oh god I'm going to end up with a red title aren't I?

:ohdear:

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
The Motherhood ones were smoothing, but not nearly as tight as regular Spanx, so they were easier for me to pull down.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Gumby Orgy posted:

I wasn't suggesting that I was planning on peeing in the pregnancy spanx. But, I guess I made it sound like that, didn't it?

No, I was just being facetious. However being pregnant and wearing spanx sounds annoying :) Have you thought about just doing maternity hose? I mean you are going to be pregnant so why not be comfortable as well.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

but no one can talk to a horse, of course.
OMG. You guys.

The thing from Motherhood is not Spanx, it's just a gentle smoother to help out the thigh and butt area. No need to be so horrified; I promise it's not uncomfortable or restrictive or tight in the belly. It reminds me of the panel in maternity pants, only in shorts form.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

The Young Marge posted:

OMG. You guys.

The thing from Motherhood is not Spanx, it's just a gentle smoother to help out the thigh and butt area. No need to be so horrified; I promise it's not uncomfortable or restrictive or tight in the belly. It reminds me of the panel in maternity pants, only in shorts form.

Oh, she said pregnancy spanx so I just assumed I have no idea if the product even exists D:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004
Just wanted to rejoice that I found 10 used AIO cloth diapers for $25 today! They're in good shape too! I brought them home and diapered all the stuffed animals in the house. DIAPER ALL THE THINGS!