Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

ProfessorCirno posted:

One of my friends had problems with the exe, I'd recommend just grabbing the zip file and pulling CBLoader into your Wizards of the Coast / Character builder folder from it if you're having problems

I'll try this because I've tried about 4-5 different ways of loading everything using the cbloader exe and every.single.time. it never works, saying I need to contact WotC customer service. Before trying it this new way everything worked like a charm :smith:

Edit: Yup, not using the exe and just putting the cbloader zip file in worked finally!

Fenarisk fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8w-gremlin
Apr 4, 2011
No Mordenkainen's Magnificent Emporium yet, I have a copy if someone needs to be enlightened?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

8w-gremlin posted:

No Mordenkainen's Magnificent Emporium yet, I have a copy if someone needs to be enlightened?

"The Dudes" were breaking it up into parts. One person has decided to taken up magical gear, so you can skip that if you're coding up stuff.

Just post in here to let us know what you're going to tackle.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

8w-gremlin posted:

I'm very interested in this stuff, even though some of the design decisions going into that book are rather :psyduck:.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
Are hybrid blackguards supposed to get their vice's at-will? Because the RAW, from what I've seen, is that you don't, like how hybrid warlocks don't automatically get their pact at-will. The vice at-will is a separate class feature from he vice's reward.

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

Ghostpilot posted:

I'm very interested in this stuff, even though some of the design decisions going into that book are rather :psyduck:.

I haven't been able to take a look at the book yet. What's so nuts about it?

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

TheWyrmDude posted:

I haven't been able to take a look at the book yet. What's so nuts about it?

I'd need to find the thread again, but one item that stood out was the Elven Chain Shirt, which was a wondrous item (and therefore took no slot) that gave a +1/2/3 AC boost to anyone in no / light armor.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
From what I recall the three major offenders were Elven Chain Shirt (slotless +1/2/3 to AC and relatively cheap), one of the potions, invincibility or invulnerability or something (hilarious amount of resist all), and flail expertise (knock prone whenever you'd slide). Maaaybe one of the new armor types that lets you use chain upgrades while wearing light armor, though I can see it being combined with Elven Chain Shirt to make chain armor officially useless.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ghostpilot posted:

I'd need to find the thread again, but one item that stood out was the Elven Chain Shirt, which was a wondrous item (and therefore took no slot) that gave a +1/2/3 AC boost to anyone in no / light armor.
It's a pretty obvious LoTR reference, but... Is it at least a typed bonus of some kind?

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship

Splicer posted:

It's a pretty obvious LoTR reference, but... Is it at least a typed bonus of some kind?

It's an Item bonus, of which there are very few minor situational AC boosts, while this is a major, always on ac boost.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Namagem posted:

It's an Item bonus, of which there are very few minor situational AC boosts, while this is a major, always on ac boost.

Provided you're wearing Light or no armor.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

The elven chain shirt is 9/19/29. So it's going to be difficult to fit in if you want a tier appropriate version, but having a +1 in paragon, or a +2 in epic is pretty sweet.

The item was created for classes who don't get a good class feature to AC, like Barbarians, some druids, and sorcs. Why they didn't try to fix those issues in class, I'll never know. Instead, they make this item, and throw things out of whack.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
There is a bug in a paragon path from the Dragonborn Races book (which is in the main dnd40 file).

It reads :

<RulesElement name="Storm Spirit" type="Class Feature" internal-id="ID_FMP_CLASS_FEATURE_2155" source="Player's Handbook Races: Dragonborn" revision-date="10/5/2010 1:47:05 PM" >
<Category> 11 </Category>
<specific name="Short Description" />
<specific name="Level"> 11 </specific>
<rules>
<statadd name="resist:lightning" value="+10" type="resist" />
<statadd name="thunder:lightning" value="+10" type="resist" />
</rules>

The error is in the resist section - it should read:

<statadd name="resist:thunder" value="+10" type="resist" />

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I got a strange error while I was trying to start up the CBLoader for the first time. My friend installed it and said it'd be a lot less hassle than the online one, but now he's not around and I was wondering if anyone here could make heads or tails of this:

quote:

9/26/2011 5:36:15 PM - INFO: CBLoader version 1.3.0
9/26/2011 5:36:15 PM - INFO: Extracting C:\Users\[redacted]\AppData\Roaming\CBLoader\combined.dnd40.main
9/26/2011 5:36:20 PM - ERROR:
Inner Exception: '<', hexadecimal value 0x3C, is an invalid attribute character. Line 237141, position 23.
Is it possible to run this character builder or did he give me a bad copy?

Tivaan
Jul 13, 2011

Mr Beens posted:

There is a bug in a paragon path from the Dragonborn Races book (which is in the main dnd40 file).

It reads :

<RulesElement name="Storm Spirit" type="Class Feature" internal-id="ID_FMP_CLASS_FEATURE_2155" source="Player's Handbook Races: Dragonborn" revision-date="10/5/2010 1:47:05 PM" >
<Category> 11 </Category>
<specific name="Short Description" />
<specific name="Level"> 11 </specific>
<rules>
<statadd name="thunder:lightning" value="+10" type="resist" />
</rules>

The error is in the resist section - it should read:

<statadd name="resist:thunder" value="+10" type="resist" />

Updated
Thanks

8w-gremlin
Apr 4, 2011
The Current Blackguard hybrid is wrong, it lists shadow as the power source, but the rules state that it is Divine

Blackguard Traits
Role: Striker
Power Source: Divine
Key Abilities: Strength, Charisma

I ask as i can't seem to see the domain powers and i think i should be able to see them

EDIT:
Also is there anyway to change the character sheet the OCB creates?
does anyone even know if it can be done?

8w-gremlin fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Sep 27, 2011

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

8w-gremlin posted:

EDIT:

By change, do you mean rearrange and remove some things? That's doable; you can right click on a section to get options including removing it. If you click the lock icon, you can drag the panels around and stretch them out (which is great for getting the short descriptions to show for class features and feats). I believe if you save after making changes, you'll keep that layout for that character, but I don't know of a way of applying a layout to all characters.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Nuns with Guns posted:

I got a strange error while I was trying to start up the CBLoader for the first time. My friend installed it and said it'd be a lot less hassle than the online one, but now he's not around and I was wondering if anyone here could make heads or tails of this:

Is it possible to run this character builder or did he give me a bad copy?

Looks like a bad version of that file - you get the same error if you try to merge in a part file that has an invalid character in the XML (like a ' )

Dark_T_Zeratul
Sep 2, 2011
I don't know if this is something we can change, but the default thri-kreen portrait is... Very much not a thri-kreen.

Also, the Pack Outcast theme from Neverwinter is missing.

And speaking of themes, we can probably remove "Dark Sun" from the "Choose your Dark Sun theme" dropdown, given that it's no longer Dark Sun-exclusive.

Dark_T_Zeratul fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Sep 27, 2011

Tivaan
Jul 13, 2011

Dark_T_Zeratul posted:

Its there just have to meet the prereqs
<Prereqs> Human or shifter </Prereqs>

Tivaan
Jul 13, 2011

8w-gremlin posted:

The Current Blackguard hybrid is wrong, it lists shadow as the power source, but the rules state that it is Divine

corrected

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Mr Beens posted:

Looks like a bad version of that file - you get the same error if you try to merge in a part file that has an invalid character in the XML (like a ' )
Right, thanks. I'll see if I can find a clean version on my flash drive and give it a go myself.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Dark_T_Zeratul posted:

I don't know if this is something we can change, but the default thri-kreen portrait is... Very much not a thri-kreen.

And speaking of themes, we can probably remove "Dark Sun" from the "Choose your Dark Sun theme" dropdown, given that it's no longer Dark Sun-exclusive.

Choose your darksun theme is hardcoded into the builder. There's nothing we can do about it at the moment.

Sakri
Dec 15, 2010

Sakri posted:

I noticed that Paladin class features ardent vow and virtue's touch are marked as racial traits in combined.dnd40.main. A bug?

Did anyone do anything about this? Do these class features work correctly in the builder?

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
I'm trying to make a custom theme for my game.

I've copied an existing theme that has a similar structure (alchemist from Dragon Magazine), changed all the flavour text IDs etc and it works fine in the CB (I can select it, read all my changes, features get added at 1st, 5th and 10th etc.)

The problem I am having is with the utility powers that you can swap out for class powers - with the original themes they show up in the character builder when choosing a theme at the bottom (via the ShowPower line I assume).
In my modified theme they are not there.

They do show up in the power selection menu as valid choices at level 2, 6 and 10.

Woss-goin-on? :confused:

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Post your .part file with the theme and we'll take a look, but its probably an improper ID somewhere in the Display options on the Theme

Dark_T_Zeratul
Sep 2, 2011

Tivaan posted:

Its there just have to meet the prereqs
<Prereqs> Human or shifter </Prereqs>
That would probably explain it, yes. Thanks.

Drewjitsu posted:

Choose your darksun theme is hardcoded into the builder. There's nothing we can do about it at the moment.
Really? I thought Wizards switched over to the online builder before Dark Sun came out. Well, it's not like it's a huge deal.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

They did, but the :airquote:coders:airquote: implemented the Themes (as well as a few other things) before they made the switch.

If we could change them, we would.

8w-gremlin
Apr 4, 2011

Tivaan posted:

corrected
Thank you Tivann

Geffor
Feb 26, 2011

Sefer posted:

8w-gremlin posted:

By change, do you mean rearrange and remove some things? That's doable; you can right click on a section to get options including removing it. If you click the lock icon, you can drag the panels around and stretch them out (which is great for getting the short descriptions to show for class features and feats). I believe if you save after making changes, you'll keep that layout for that character, but I don't know of a way of applying a layout to all characters.

Once you've come up with a layout you like you can save it by selecting 'save custom layout' from the layout menu of the character viewer and then use it for subsequent characters by selecting 'load custom layout' from the same menu.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

I recently found that you can add modifiers to your defenses by right-clicking the character sheet. I was wondering if there was a way of doing the same for attack / damage since the character builder doesn't add situational damages to cards?

I have a character that gets bonuses to cold damage and since he uses a cold weapon it's on every attack, but I can't seem to make that reflect on the sheet.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

EDIT: Stop the presses, I might just be retarded. Hold on!

EDIT2: Yup, completely retarded. I didn't have my Builder properly updated. Now it is set and my Magic Missiles aren't wrong anymore! Huzzah!

Cipher Pol 9 fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 29, 2011

Geffor
Feb 26, 2011
Small modification to the Shield Dwarf.

The current .part allows you to replace Dwarven Weapon Training with the appropriate options. However, if selected, it doesn't give the Cast Iron Stomach trait which, I believe, it should.

Adding the line
code:
    <grant name="ID_FMP_RACIAL_TRAIT_10" type="Racial Trait" />     
after
code:
    <select type="Racial Trait" number="1" Category="ID_FMP_RACIAL_TRAIT_3958|ID_FMP_RACIAL_TRAIT_3959|ID_FMP_RACIAL_TRAIT_9" >
    Select option
    </select>
in the Shield Dwarf section of 06-races.part should do the trick :)

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Geffor posted:

Small modification to the Shield Dwarf.

The current .part allows you to replace Dwarven Weapon Training with the appropriate options. However, if selected, it doesn't give the Cast Iron Stomach trait which, I believe, it should.

Adding the line
code:
    <grant name="ID_FMP_RACIAL_TRAIT_10" type="Racial Trait" />     
after
code:
    <select type="Racial Trait" number="1" Category="ID_FMP_RACIAL_TRAIT_3958|ID_FMP_RACIAL_TRAIT_3959|ID_FMP_RACIAL_TRAIT_9" >
    Select option
    </select>
in the Shield Dwarf section of 06-races.part should do the trick :)

This should be checked for all of the Neverwinter sub-races, now that the sub-racial features have proper wiz ID's.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008
I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but is there a way to modify the 'rules' of the character builder? I'm running a campaign for friends soon and I'd like everyone to get a feat per level rather than a feat per 2 levels.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
You can just houserule a feat at the odd levels as you go.

The Man From Melmac
Sep 8, 2008

Dick Burglar posted:

You can just houserule a feat at the odd levels as you go.

Doing it that way does make it harder to tell if the rest of the character was built correctly.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
If you're implying they'll 'cheat' by houseruling other stuff, not really. You can click on "Status: Houseruled" under the portrait/name and it'll tell you what all has been houseruled at the bottom under "Character Status."

8w-gremlin
Apr 4, 2011
er i can't seem to get the power paladin utility power Call Celestial Steed
on a cavalier or hybrid cavalier - can some one check with theirs and see if this needs to be fixed.

Thanks

oh and has anyone put Flail Expertise in yet?
cus I think this is right (my first real feat post)

<RulesElement name="Flail Expertise" type="Feat" internal-id="ID_GREMLIN_FEAT_1" source="Mordenkainens Magnificent Emporium" revision-date="09/30/2011 9:30:01 PM">
<Flavor> Flail Expertise The flail requires a mix of speed and power, a style that you have perfected over long hours of training. With a sweeping attack, youentangle a foe and send it tumbling to the ground.</Flavor>
<specific name="Tier"> Heroic </specific>
<specific name="Short Description"> +1/+2/+3 (by tier) to weapon attacks with flails; Knock prone with melee slide attacks</specific>
<rules>
<statadd name="Flail Expertise" value="+1" />
<statadd name="Flail Expertise" value="+1" requires="Paragon Tier" />
<statadd name="Flail Expertise" value="+1" requires="Epic Tier" />
<statadd name="weapon,flail group:attack" value="+Flail Expertise" type="Feat" />
</rules>
You gain a +1 feat bonus to weapon attack rolls that you make with a flail. This bonus increases to +2 at 11th level and +3 at 21st level. In addition, when you hit with a melee weapon attack using a flail and the attack lets you slide the
target, you can knock the target prone instead of sliding it.
</RulesElement>

8w-gremlin fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Sep 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tivaan
Jul 13, 2011
Thanks I will take that and add it too the stuff I am working on.

Currently I have all of the pre-release created by I believe it MMaghc
I am almost done with all of the new armors from chapter 1 and then i will move to chapter two

• Locked thread