Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

I'm downloading from Supernews just fine right now.

Edit: In other news, everybody is flipping out about XS Usenet giving out free lifetime accounts good for 1Mbps and 2 connections. As a result, their site is getting loving hammered. I was kind of hoping to grab one for a backup.

Shroomie fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!

Shroomie posted:

Edit: In other news, everybody is flipping out about XS Usenet giving out free lifetime accounts good for 1Mbps and 2 connections. As a result, their site is getting loving hammered. I was kind of hoping to grab one for a backup.

About this, does this mean that if a file is downloaded and is missing a certain number of blocks for the repair, it will go to the backup server and only download those parts of the files it needs? 1Mbps is too slow for downloading really anything, but if I can use it for small parts of failed downloads that would be awesome.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

ambushsabre posted:

About this, does this mean that if a file is downloaded and is missing a certain number of blocks for the repair, it will go to the backup server and only download those parts of the files it needs? 1Mbps is too slow for downloading really anything, but if I can use it for small parts of failed downloads that would be awesome.

That's my understanding of it. It goes back and redownloads the broken parts from the backup.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Shroomie posted:

From their site:
"November 26 2011, 11:43 PM CET
Signups have been temporarily suspended due to high demand, we apologize for the inconvenience. "

I assume that the Netherlands are using an aggressive form of daylight savings that puts them forward in time by a whole month.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

Gromit posted:

From their site:
"November 26 2011, 11:43 PM CET
Signups have been temporarily suspended due to high demand, we apologize for the inconvenience. "

I assume that the Netherlands are using an aggressive form of daylight savings that puts them forward in time by a whole month.

It's part of a new technology by Supernews that speeds up your downloads by literally speeding up time.

ndrz
Oct 31, 2003

I've been working with Supernews for a couple of days now, and they're still unable to get my speed higher than 1.5MB/s (I used to see 4.0MB/s).

With my Newsdemon trial account, I see 4.0MB/s without any trouble on the same ports, so I doubt it's my ISP shaping SSL traffic on 563 or 443.

bobdigi
Oct 6, 2004
yea you know who is he

coldfire07 posted:

I've been working with Supernews for a couple of days now, and they're still unable to get my speed higher than 1.5MB/s (I used to see 4.0MB/s).

With my Newsdemon trial account, I see 4.0MB/s without any trouble on the same ports, so I doubt it's my ISP shaping SSL traffic on 563 or 443.

I've been having the exact same problem. I've been hoping it would just go away. It's been at least 3 weeks now.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Gromit posted:

You must be too because that's two months from where I'm at.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

You must be too because that's two months from where I'm at.

I'll re-quote you in a month's time and who'll look the idiot then? Not me, that's for sure!

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?
Does anyone have a good solution for changing the owner of completed downloads on *nix systems?

I've got SABnzbd+ 0.6.8 installed on a Scientific Linux 6.1 system, and it runs under the SABnzbd user. Upon completion, they are owned by SABnzbd:SABnzbd, but I'd like them to be owned by some other user and group. I made a script with this in it:
code:
#!/bin/bash
sudo /bin/chown -R someuser:somegroup $1
I used visudo to update sudoers to allow this command to be run without a password:
code:
SABnzbd ALL= NOPASSWD: /bin/chown
I changed the default category to run this script. SABnzbd supposedly captures the standard output of these scripts to a log, but I haven't been able to find it. I added to the script some lines to check the user it ran as (it was SABnzbd) and the arguments supplied to the script, and they all worked as expected, but the files simply won't change owner. Using sudo -u to run the same command as sudo works, so I don't know what's going on. Any ideas?

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

So I've moved from NZ's lovely 160GB monthly caps and DSL to the UKs unlimited 50/100Mbit "holy loving poo poo why didn't I move 6 years ago?" cable and subsequently realised that blocknews no longer fits my needs.

Is the OP up to date? Who out of the four has the best European servers? Or is peerage/routing no longer a problem I should worry about?

torjus
Nov 22, 2005

I want YOU to MSPaint!

xlevus posted:

Is the OP up to date? Who out of the four has the best European servers? Or is peerage/routing no longer a problem I should worry about?
I my experience it doesn't really matter if you use eu or us servers.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

xlevus posted:

So I've moved from NZ's lovely 160GB monthly caps and DSL to the UKs unlimited 50/100Mbit "holy loving poo poo why didn't I move 6 years ago?" cable and subsequently realised that blocknews no longer fits my needs.

160GB? Hot drat, the household (NZ) is only on 90GB and we're paying out of the rear end for this poo poo. :colbert:

Since you're in Europe, nothing is a problem. Just go for the cheapest of the big ones. Supernews would be fine.

Xanar
Feb 22, 2006
So I was having the same problem as another poster who said some shows were not updating on Sickbeard. After searching a bit I have found something here
https://github.com/midgetspy/Sick-Beard/commit/984ea92d3a2e93c35913aa1bf29f0423b6eb8f59
I'm not especially good at computers so if I am reading this right, this was a change to the source code and so the only way I can get this fix is to download the source and compile it myself? The latest binary is from months ago so it looks like there has been a lot of fixes that I am missing out on.

If that is the case, is it possible to get precompiled versions of the newest source which aren't official releases? Or is that generally frowned upon.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Xanar posted:

So I was having the same problem as another poster who said some shows were not updating on Sickbeard. After searching a bit I have found something here
https://github.com/midgetspy/Sick-Beard/commit/984ea92d3a2e93c35913aa1bf29f0423b6eb8f59
I'm not especially good at computers so if I am reading this right, this was a change to the source code and so the only way I can get this fix is to download the source and compile it myself? The latest binary is from months ago so it looks like there has been a lot of fixes that I am missing out on.

If that is the case, is it possible to get precompiled versions of the newest source which aren't official releases? Or is that generally frowned upon.

Your easiest course of action is to download this, the zipped up version of the latest source.

Unzip it somewhere.

Install python.

Install whatever dependencies sickbeard has.

Double click sickbeard.py.

Revel in the fact that you're running a cutting edge version.

All of those steps are pretty easy...if you're using Sickbeard already it shouldn't be beyond your skill level.

Lenins Potato
May 8, 2008
to add on what Thermopyle said,

Once you have python installed you'll also need to download http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Cheetah/2.4.4

Once you have it installed, open a command window and go to c:\Cheetah-2.4.4
Then run: python setup.py install

(You can do that through a run command, but its always easier for me that way)

Afterwards, create a shortcut that won't spawn a console window. It should look something like:

C:\Python27\pythonw.exe "C:\midgetspy-Sick-Beard-53dd79b\Sickbeard.py"

Now you can doubleclick that short cut and have SickBeard running from the latest source in the background.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Since I'm running on Unix, I should just be able to use the built in updater and get this patch? I might already have it, because some of my shows have been fixed already it seems.

Is there a way to see exactly what version (aka what commit) you're running with sickbeard?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

FISHMANPET posted:

Since I'm running on Unix, I should just be able to use the built in updater and get this patch? I might already have it, because some of my shows have been fixed already it seems.

Is there a way to see exactly what version (aka what commit) you're running with sickbeard?

The built in updater keeps you up to date with the latest commit.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

xlevus posted:

If Blocknews works(ed) for you as far as what you wanted being there just you will download to much now they have there own unlimited accounts at Usenetnow.net

mpeg4v3
Apr 8, 2004
that lurker in the corner

Lenins Potato posted:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Other-Internet-Related/NZB-Download-Checker.shtml

Check some of your nzbs using this software. You should be able to tell if you're getting lots of random missing pieces or if there are DMCA issues. Giganews for instance will take down the first 2 pieces of every file, so its pretty easy to identify on their servers if its DMCA related vs just random missing pieces.

I gave it a try, and have gotten some weird results. When I run it against an NZB I know I've had a problem with in the past, the first two or three files stay blue for "Checking", and then it goes incrementally down the list and marks the rest red for "Missing" after checking them. It never completely finishes, as those first two or three are always left marked as "Checking". The log is filled with "article not found" errors for everything. This is for an NZB marked as 577 days old, which should be more than recent enough. I've also tried it with other NZBs and gotten similar results.

mpeg4v3 fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Sep 28, 2011

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Odette posted:

160GB? Hot drat, the household (NZ) is only on 90GB and we're paying out of the rear end for this poo poo. :colbert:

Since you're in Europe, nothing is a problem. Just go for the cheapest of the big ones. Supernews would be fine.
Sorry, 125GB. I was on Orcon's Purple plan with the 100GB data pack. And yes, it was expensive :/.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

Can someone explain how to get a backup server working? I set it all up, tested the connection, and ticked the backup button, and yet all of my retry / repairs still fail with the same amount of blocks missing. Unless XS usenet is also a giganews reseller?

clavicle
Jan 19, 2006

ambushsabre posted:

Can someone explain how to get a backup server working? I set it all up, tested the connection, and ticked the backup button, and yet all of my retry / repairs still fail with the same amount of blocks missing. Unless XS usenet is also a giganews reseller?

It must be gone from there as well. It seems to happen. I got tired of missing articles so I got a 25 gig blocknews account for a backup just a little while ago, and was still missing blocks for the particular thing I really wanted. Oh well.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I just got hit with the tv shows not updating correctly bug, and I'm running from source. Guess I need to apply these latest updates that I haven't done yet. So far as I can tell, it's only one show.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

I finally got one of those XS accounts, but it just times out when I test it in SAB.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

I was having the not updating issue for just one program as well, so I deleted it from SB and then added it back and suddenly it found all the upcoming episodes that TVDB had listed, whereas before it didn't show any.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
There are a couple titles that have a problem with sickbeard because thetvdb uses the official season designations and, well, not everyone else does. For those of you who have encountered this problem, are you just pulling those titles manually or do you have an alternative?

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

clavicle posted:

It must be gone from there as well. It seems to happen. I got tired of missing articles so I got a 25 gig blocknews account for a backup just a little while ago, and was still missing blocks for the particular thing I really wanted. Oh well.

It could also be that the original post was corrupt. You can search for fills on one of the raw search engines.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Shroomie posted:

I finally got one of those XS accounts, but it just times out when I test it in SAB.
It looks like XSNews wasn't adequately prepared for what happens when you give out free accounts, and as such are completely swamped. Someone on IRC earlier today said he had luck just waiting a few hours and trying again.

As usual, if you expect good service out of a free account you should prepare to get super frustrated almost immediately.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

inpheaux posted:

It looks like XSNews wasn't adequately prepared for what happens when you give out free accounts, and as such are completely swamped. Someone on IRC earlier today said he had luck just waiting a few hours and trying again.

As usual, if you expect good service out of a free account you should prepare to get super frustrated almost immediately.

I'm just going to leave it as a backup and see what happens.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Shroomie posted:

I'm just going to leave it as a backup and see what happens.

Make sure to also set it as optional so if it can't connect, it doesn't tie up the entire thing.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Syano posted:

There are a couple titles that have a problem with sickbeard because thetvdb uses the official season designations and, well, not everyone else does. For those of you who have encountered this problem, are you just pulling those titles manually or do you have an alternative?

I set up an RSS feed for a title that is always uploaded with a season number two behind what the tvdb uses. After the show gets downloaded I have a python post-processing script I wrote that renames it with the "correct" season numbers and then calls the sickbeard post processing script.

clavicle
Jan 19, 2006

duz posted:

It could also be that the original post was corrupt. You can search for fills on one of the raw search engines.

Can you link me to some of those? How do I search for fills?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Interesting court ruling out of the Netherlands against a large Usenet provider: https://torrentfreak.com/major-usenet-provider-ordered-to-remove-all-infringing-content-110929/

News-Service.com has been ordered to remove all copyright-infringing content from their service within four weeks. As we all know, that's 100% impossible, so unless they have success with an appeal they're done for and BREIN has the legal precedent to easily attack other providers in the same jurisdiction.

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon

ambushsabre posted:

I was having a huge problem with them last week, and after I finally got around to upgrading to SABnzbd 0.6 which featured some sort of better/new repair option and it started working a lot better with my backups. If you're stuck on an old version it's something to try I guess :)

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Is there a way to tell SickBeard about episodes that the tvdb doesn't know about?

I keep finding shows on the tvdb locked and with no up to date information in them.

[edit] Rather, SickBeard/TVDB think's the episodes are one thing, and they're posted as another thing.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Has Growl stopped working with SABnzbd+ for anyone else? I have the latest versions of both, and Growl has the SABnzbd+ app in its list, so I don't know what's going on.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I've recently rebuilt my fileserver/mediacenter from the ground up and threw xubunutu on it.

SAB, Sickbeard, CouchPotato all run fine on startup, shutdown on startup, and soforth. But I'll wake up in the morning and they wouldn't be running.

So yesterday I ran the apps in a shell, went out for the day, and came back today after work to this:

code:
16:38:41 INFO::SEARCHQUEUE-RSS-SEARCH :: Searching all providers for any needed episodes
16:38:42 INFO::SEARCHQUEUE-RSS-SEARCH :: Clearing NZBs.org cache and updating with new information
16:38:55 INFO::SEARCHQUEUE-RSS-SEARCH :: Clearing NZBMatrix cache and updating with new information
16:39:01 INFO::SEARCHQUEUE-RSS-SEARCH :: No needed episodes found on the RSS feeds
Killed
xlevus@bebop$
code:
2011-10-02 18:02:55,876::INFO::[__init__:838] Saving data for rss_data.sab in /home/xin/apps/sabnzbd/admin/rss_data.sab
2011-10-02 18:02:55,927::INFO::[rss:496] Finished scheduled RSS read-out
2011-10-02 19:02:55,932::INFO::[rss:482] Starting scheduled RSS read-out
2011-10-02 19:02:56,731::INFO::[rss:340] RSS Feed [url]http://nzbs.org/rss.php?action=mynzbs&i=XXX&h=XXXX&dl=1[/url] was empty
2011-10-02 19:03:11,746::INFO::[__init__:838] Saving data for rss_data.sab in /home/xin/apps/sabnzbd/admin/rss_data.sab
2011-10-02 19:03:11,747::INFO::[rss:496] Finished scheduled RSS read-out
Killed
xlevus@bebop$
Does anybody have a clue what could be killing Sab, Sickbeard and CouchPotato?

[edit] It also seems that SickBeard isn't deleting stuff in SAB's complete folder. I've got a whole load of stuff in `Incoming/complete` that's also been copied to `Video/TV`. Have I got a wrong setting set somewhere?

Horse Clocks fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 3, 2011

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself

mistermojo posted:

Has Growl stopped working with SABnzbd+ for anyone else? I have the latest versions of both, and Growl has the SABnzbd+ app in its list, so I don't know what's going on.

Are you running Lion? I think the latest version of Growl doesn't really work. They're supposed to be releasing Growl on the Mac App Store soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

false image
Nov 24, 2004

filthy Americans... praise Allah

Grayham posted:

Are you running Lion? I think the latest version of Growl doesn't really work. They're supposed to be releasing Growl on the Mac App Store soon.

Speak of the devil http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/growl/id467939042?mt=12