Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So let me see if I have this straight:

Bethesda's lawyers are suing Mojang because Mojang came up with a game called "Scrolls", and Mojang's making fun of it? What's the problem here? It sounds to me like it's just the sort of thing that Lowtax would've done in the same situation, and that goes double if this "Scrolls" game doesn't have a drat thing in common with Bethesda's T.E.S. series.

I understand this whole PROFESSIONALISM :byodood: thing, but it sounds like it'd be like McDonalds suing old farmer McDonald for setting up a produce stand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"
I really hope they change the name of the game to SCORLLS.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Nah, it'll be The Elder Trolls.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

neogeo0823 posted:

I understand this whole PROFESSIONALISM :byodood: thing, but it sounds like it'd be like McDonalds suing old farmer McDonald for setting up a produce stand.

I'm pretty sure McDonalds has already done something similar to that.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
The Eldersc Rolls. A cooking simulator. e: or a dice based game.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
It'll be called Scrlols obviously. :downs:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
The Elder Sclerosis.

Republicanus
Oct 16, 2002

Have a smoke. Coffee? You're welcome.
Fun Shoe
He should just call it Daggerfall Daggerfall Blood Blood: The Reckoning.

Just in case one of the lawyers is afraid of blood.

Maybe throw some more punctuation in there too.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
...The Elder Scrotum?... Alright, I'll show myself out

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The Elder's Scrolls

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"
The Aged-er Parchment

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

The Eldest Rolled-Paper: Scrollblivion

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
The Elder's Scrolls and Morrow's Wind

Orv
May 4, 2011
Suddenly, a better discussion than anything the actual Skyrim thread could produce.

Godsdamned Endermen stole an essential block from my railway. Why is this block essential? Because without it, I plummet from 40 blocks above sea-level to bedrock. Maybe building a minecart track over my mineshaft was a bad idea. . .

(How did they even get up here? :psyduck:)

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Orv posted:

Godsdamned Endermen stole an essential block from my railway. Why is this block essential? Because without it, I plummet from 40 blocks above sea-level to bedrock. Maybe building a minecart track over my mineshaft was a bad idea. . .

(How did they even get up here? :psyduck:)

Endermen have stolen blocks from inside my house while they were outside.
They move in mysterious ways!
Unfortunately in 1.9 they can only move sand, dirt, gravel, and that's about it, it's boring as hell. I agree the needed to nerfed a bit, but there's no point to them anymore.
:(

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

wyoming posted:

Endermen have stolen blocks from inside my house while they were outside.
They move in mysterious ways!
Unfortunately in 1.9 they can only move sand, dirt, gravel, and that's about it, it's boring as hell. I agree the needed to nerfed a bit, but there's no point to them anymore.
:(

Their teleport pearls are more than arguing the point of their existence.

Galactic
Mar 25, 2009

Planetary
Does anyone know the best way to remove chest and inventory contents from a server?

Orv
May 4, 2011

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Their teleport pearls are more than arguing the point of their existence.

Their what? Did I miss the pearls suddenly doing something in 1.9?

V - Ah, had a look around. That's. . .pretty cool. I assume they're thrown in the manner of eggs/snowballs and not vomiting items.

Orv fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Sep 28, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Orv posted:

Their what? Did I miss the pearls suddenly doing something in 1.9?

It's announced but not implemented yet.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

S Danger K posted:

Does anyone know the best way to remove chest and inventory contents from a server?

Chest contents, MCedit? For inventory, isn't there some INVedit program?

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Seeing missing tree trunks in my forests drives me into an uncontrollable rage - hearing endermen only grabbing dirt and gravel and poo poo pleases me no end.

I have been killing them out of hatred for so long, but now I will kill them for profit, yesss....

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Seeing missing tree trunks in my forests drives me into an uncontrollable rage - hearing endermen only grabbing dirt and gravel and poo poo pleases me no end.

I have been killing them out of hatred for so long, but now I will kill them for profit, yesss....
Wow, I didn't even think of Endermen. I thought someone on the server was the stupidest lumberjack alive.

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan

Once the farming thing's more up to scratch I'm totally making an evil Oddworld-inspired meat and murder factory.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

Bat Ham posted:

Once the farming thing's more up to scratch I'm totally making an evil Oddworld-inspired meat and murder factory.

Endermen pies.

...There is always a piece missing.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Endermen pies.

...There is always a piece missing.

Endermen Pies a la Sweeney Todd style? :haw:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

quote:

Endermen suck because they're annoying, and because I nerfed them and made them too easy. I shall fix this.

Yes! Notch has realized he nerfed them too much. Suck it whiners!
Really though it sounds like he might just make them more interesting since they can't move as many blocks, which is nice, because right now they're lumbering less dangerous zombies.

I do really hope their block list gets a few more things. Not enough to ruin playermade things, but enough to build random things in the wild.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Why not just Skrolls... with a K.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

wyoming posted:

Yes! Notch has realized he nerfed them too much. Suck it whiners!
Really though it sounds like he might just make them more interesting since they can't move as many blocks, which is nice, because right now they're lumbering less dangerous zombies.

I do really hope their block list gets a few more things. Not enough to ruin playermade things, but enough to build random things in the wild.

You'd think they'd put in a check to see if the blocks they're moving are player-placed or naturally-occurring. Or something. That would solve all the problems straight away (aside from making holes in trees, which is just stupid.)

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

wyoming posted:

I agree. That first time you come across a tree block sitting all by itself on an empty hillside is pretty creepy, even if you already know about Endermen.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Allen Wren posted:

You'd think they'd put in a check to see if the blocks they're moving are player-placed or naturally-occurring. Or something. That would solve all the problems straight away (aside from making holes in trees, which is just stupid.)

Does the game actually track this information?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Allen Wren posted:

Except there's no way to determine if a block is player placed or naturally occurring. (Short of regenerating the chunk and then comparing.)

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Is there a reason he can't just make endermen really loving rare?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

pseudorandom name posted:

Except there's no way to determine if a block is player placed or naturally occurring. (Short of regenerating the chunk and then comparing.)

There isn't? I know saying "it's in a mod" is stupid, but how does Millenaire do it for the town maps, where they mark player construction in a different color? I figured if that could latch onto some information freely available in the map, Notch could, too. If I'm wrong, my bad.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Seed: really cool opotamus (1475242898)

A quite bitchin' long (check the minimap for size) with water that defies gravity! It continues on underground on both sides of what you can see on the overworld.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Cowcaster posted:

Is there a reason he can't just make endermen really loving rare?

See, I feel this would be the best answer, and originally they were supposed to be rare! But every night, off in the distance glowing purple, or least missing blocks in the morning. I mean hell my first night in 1.8 I ran into a group of five of them.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Allen Wren posted:

There isn't? I know saying "it's in a mod" is stupid, but how does Millenaire do it for the town maps, where they mark player construction in a different color? I figured if that could latch onto some information freely available in the map, Notch could, too. If I'm wrong, my bad.

Any info stored for each block (every block on the server) takes up memory. It could easily be added, but that is more resources being used for not much gain.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Allen Wren posted:

Millenaire checks for blocks that can only be created by crafting.

Limiting it to just sand, dirt and gravel is effectively the same thing, with the exception of stone, which could go either way.

vektuz
Sep 19, 2005
Endangered Species

Schweinhund posted:

Any info stored for each block (every block on the server) takes up memory. It could easily be added, but that is more resources being used for not much gain.

Notch could change this to only store the chunks that have been modified, I guess. I bet if you took the average server and stored only the chunks that differ from what the seed would generate you'd probably get a ridiculous "compression" ratio out of it.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
Outside of the moving player blocks issue, I think one of the easiest steps twoards making Endermen interesting would be to have them build structures, rather than having them randomly move blocks around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

vektuz posted:

Notch could change this to only store the chunks that have been modified, I guess. I bet if you took the average server and stored only the chunks that differ from what the seed would generate you'd probably get a ridiculous "compression" ratio out of it.

Wouldn't it take just a creeper explosion, single chopped tree, or grabbed mushroom to foil this? I mean I guess there are a decent number of chunks that I truly never touched while running though, but on any reasonably populated server I think this would trend quickly to zero.