Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Be gone with you! You'll spoil my focus.
Jetpack Postman, just got home today after a night out,two hand the sword and R2 it, it'll do that awesome gravity aura. So much win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Talran posted:

Jetpack Postman, just got home today after a night out,two hand the sword and R2 it, it'll do that awesome gravity aura. So much win.

That cuts it, Strength build for-loving-life. I'm hoping the aura is quick enough to troll dudes in PvP. Backstabs? Not anymore!

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

On the subject of controls, and the game in general - I've always found it helps to liken it to the early Castlevania games, which had simple controls but the entire gameplay framework was built around the limitations of the player character. The slight delay when you attacked, the jumps you had to commit to, etc.

Essentially, the game is all about knowing your limits and mastering your character. Use a spear? You want to know EXACTLY how much reach it has, so that you can feint until enemies swing at you, then lunge so that only the very tip finds its mark. Overextend, and you open yourself to a counterattack. Fall short, and the enemy will just clobber you anyway. Want to use a two-handed sword? Be careful in tight quarters, as you can weaken or outright break a swing against a wall if you're careless.

It's utterly common-sense stuff, and very intuitive. For Demon's Souls, From Software described it as a more 'physical' King's Field during the design phase. While there are stats, the actual visible physical effects of the game-world are the most important thing. It's a game you can play almost entirely on instinct. You don't need to see the level of an enemy to know that it's tough - if it looks scary, it can probably wreck your poo poo given half a chance.

Wish I had the money for a preorder, really.

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Jetpack Postman posted:

That cuts it, Strength build for-loving-life. I'm hoping the aura is quick enough to troll dudes in PvP. Backstabs? Not anymore!

It's a lot shorter in duration, about 10 seconds I think, but still seems to be just as effective, so need to test this out on players. it's just enough time to pop an aura and turn that rolling maniac into a lead booted pincushion.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I can't play Dark Souls for two more days, until I get these two papers finished. It will be the longest two days ever. I know that I can't play it for just a short time because that's what I tried to do yesterday and I ended up not getting a lick of work done.

This is one of those kinds of games. One of the few left for me.

edit: as for where I am, I rang one bell and am closing in on the other. Oh and I'm CURSED! I had heard about that before but not that it was caused by a grey fog that spreads and fills the entire room.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Sep 28, 2011

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Wow I just noticed that the Dark Souls guide is 384 pages long. And Hardcover.

Might just be worth picking up.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Revitalized posted:

Wow I just noticed that the Dark Souls guide is 384 pages long. And Hardcover.

Futurepress do not gently caress around with their guides. At all. Their Bayonetta one was almost as long and also hardcover.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Does anyone know if there are any codes inside the case for online or anything else? I plan on getting it through Gamefly since I have coupons ready to expire but don't plan on actually buying it until the first price drop.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

jabro posted:

Does anyone know if there are any codes inside the case for online or anything else? I plan on getting it through Gamefly since I have coupons ready to expire but don't plan on actually buying it until the first price drop.
I very much doubt it, they aren't planning any DLC for the game as far as I know, and online is strictly peer to peer.

My Japanese copy didn't come with anything like that, but it is self-published while the US version is Bamco. Bamco loves their DLC, but the phenomenon you are talking about is still entirely a Western thing as far as I know.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

jabro posted:

The special edition comes with download codes for soundtrack/mini-guide. Other than that, no. No project ten dollar stuff or anything along those lines.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

FROM doesn't seem like the DLC type. Demon's Souls didn't even get any patches as far as I know. FROM finishes their games before releasing them.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

I said come in! posted:

FROM doesn't seem like the DLC type. Demon's Souls didn't even get any patches as far as I know. FROM finishes their games before releasing them.
The Japan/Korea/China copies got patched, US copies came prepatched.

Dark Souls is up to patch 1.02 in Japan and patch 1.01 in USA.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
For new people, I would say that the most important aspect of combat is stamina management. If you look at any videos, notice the green bar.

This is your stamina, and it is needed for every physical action that you can do, including sprinting. It refills fast, but with creatures bearing down you it's never fast enough.

Swinging your weapon uses stamina, and bigger weapons use more. Using a shield to block a hit also uses stamina (in Demons shields would absorb a certain percentage of incoming damage and transfer it to stamina instead of health, I don't know if it works the same way in Dark). Better shields have better ratios. You also need stamina to do a quick dive roll, a move that will save your life many times over (unless you're a tuff guy with tank armor who just takes hits).

Once your stamina runs dry, you can't attack, can't defend, and can't hop out of the way. It will only be a literal second before you get stamina back to do something but that's all it takes to be struck down. Do you take that extra swing, or save a little just to make sure you can block a sudden hit? That's the key.

Also for new people who are curious about combat: realize that every weapon type has it's own move set. For example, a long sword's normal attack might be a swing, and a heavy attack might be a lunge thrust; a claymore's normal attack might be a two-handed full-arc swing, and a heavy attack would be an overhead smash strike. While that in itself is neat (and greatly influences what you feel comfortable with using as a weapon), there's also a tactical point to consider, that your weapon WILL strike walls and stop your swings. A dagger may be wimpy, but you can use it anywhere and it strikes repeatedly very fast- but then you have to close to your enemy to use it, where a spear could nail them before they're next to you. All depends on your playstyle, and that's another reason why this game rules.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Ugh, I've been trying to enjoy some invading in Demon's Souls in anticipation of that awesome Forest Covenant, but everyone just quits immediately when I invade. Cowards! What are you doing on 4-1 if you don't want to pvp? :P

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

NarkyBark posted:

Also for new people who are curious about combat: realize that every weapon type has it's own move set. For example, a long sword's normal attack might be a swing, and a heavy attack might be a lunge thrust; a claymore's normal attack might be a two-handed full-arc swing, and a heavy attack would be an overhead smash strike. While that in itself is neat (and greatly influences what you feel comfortable with using as a weapon), there's also a tactical point to consider, that your weapon WILL strike walls and stop your swings. A dagger may be wimpy, but you can use it anywhere and it strikes repeatedly very fast- but then you have to close to your enemy to use it, where a spear could nail them before they're next to you. All depends on your playstyle, and that's another reason why this game rules.
Also some weapons do different damage types depending on which attack animation you are using. There are three types (that I know of), blunt, piercing, and "basic", which I guess means slashing. Swords for example, their heavy attack is a piercing attack (a thrust, that is) but the light attacks are basic. In general you can guess which type enemies are vulnerable to by looking at them, piercing doesn't work well on skeletons.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Sep 28, 2011

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

Also some weapons do different damage types depending on which attack animation you are using. There are three types (that I know of), blunt, piercing, and "basic", which I guess means slashing. Swords for example, their heavy attack is a piercing attack (a thrust, that is) but the light attacks are basic. In general you can guess which type enemies are vulnerable to by looking at them, piercing doesn't work well on skeletons.

This is the reason to keep damage types on you upgraded. As a primary spear user it wasn't fun fighting them. And the normal ones don't even drop souls!!! But I throw on my heavy (spiked) club and they drop like flies.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Am I liable to get hosed in Dark Souls like I did in Demon's Souls if I spread my stats thin, out of a case of 'ooooh shiny!' weapon / style switching as I play?

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
probably not in single player

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

The site I buy games from is only listing a collector's edition? I don't want to pay extra for stuff that I will look at once and then put back in the box.

If I buy from play-asia will I gently caress myself over in terms of connecting to friends who buy the NZ (PAL) edition?

im a girl btw fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Sep 28, 2011

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

im a girl btw posted:

The site I buy games from is only listing a collector's edition? I don't want to pay extra for stuff that I will look at once and then put back in the box.

The collector's edition is the same price ($60 US) as the standard edition until release. You aren't paying extra.

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Ledneh posted:

Am I liable to get hosed in Dark Souls like I did in Demon's Souls if I spread my stats thin, out of a case of 'ooooh shiny!' weapon / style switching as I play?

Just as much, if not moreso do to the enigmatic STR/DEX now increases weapon speed/roll speed mechanic. As much as it hurts (trust me, I was in your shoes too in Demon's Souls), you should ideally keep to a couple main attack stats on your first run and then spread out a little on subsequent playthroughs. Or do whatever, since pain is pleasure in this game. :)

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: as for where I am, I rang one bell and am closing in on the other. Oh and I'm CURSED! I had heard about that before but not that it was caused by a grey fog that spreads and fills the entire room.

Actually, I've noticed on the streams that the hit detection on the clouds is wonky and there are certain parts of the cloud that you can get near and not fill your curse meter. Though, as always, the best strategy is prevention and those curse-cloud dudes aren't too tough, so just hit and run as often as you can.

Edit:

im a girl btw posted:

If I buy from play-asia will I gently caress myself over in terms of connecting to friends who buy the NZ (PAL) edition?
Nope. Connection is universal in Dark Souls, there aren't any more regional servers.

im a girl btw
Jan 15, 2004

Oh ok. I guess I'll preorder when I get paid then.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Hm, seems as though it's my connection. I did so much fiddling around with my router trying to get stupid Space Marine to stop showing that glitched Open whatever message that I think I broke my Demon's Souls multiplayer :(
I hope this doesn't carry over to Dark Souls. I have my PS3 as a DMZ, UPnP is enabled, isn't that all that matters?

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Found a typo at the end of the OP's what's the story like? section:

Jetpack Postman posted:

You - the player - are one of the undead, captured and corralled into an asylum in the distant north until the end of the world. By a twist of fate, you manage to keep your mind and escape the asylum, only to be whisked away to Lordran - the land of the ancients and the origin of the four lords. You must put your immortality to use and find an end to Undead Curse.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Did this game get an early release, or did my local Frys screw up royally? I purchased this game today; it was just sitting there on the shelves. After getting back home I checked the release date online and every site I visited still had it scheduled for October 4th. My housemate is currently playing it in the other room. :confused:

flashdim
Oct 19, 2005

Still losing criticals

CAustin posted:

Did this game get an early release, or did my local Frys screw up royally? I purchased this game today; it was just sitting there on the shelves. After getting back home I checked the release date online and every site I visited still had it scheduled for October 4th. My housemate is currently playing it in the other room. :confused:

They screwed up.

Viash
Mar 17, 2003
Some extremely silly hats. :nws: so SALR doesn't autoshow them for people that don't want to be spoiled, they're not actually nws.

http://imgur.com/ghSsb.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/7coCT.jpg

Don't ask me how you get either of those or what they do, I have no idea.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
Oh god it's a mimic run for your life :ohdear:

I never played Demon's Souls, and I'm sorta interested in Dark Souls, but I have to ask: Is it rewarding? I don't mean in the general "I finally beat that guy, yay!" kind of way, but more in the "I finally beat that guy and holy poo poo look at this loving sword this is so cool" kind of way.

The reason I didn't pick up Demon's Souls was because I knew that I wouldn't be satisfied from playing, according to what people were telling me. I'm the kind of person who's willing to put up with frustration for shiny things, but if I'm just playing on the merit of my own :black101: and overcoming obstacles I tend to get bored and irritated quickly.

So is there enough loot and other special, tangible rewards of the like after difficult sections/difficult bosses to warrant getting this? Or am I better off just watching Squint's playthrough again?

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
If you don't wanna work for your cool loot I'm not sure how you would like this game at all because the whole point of the game is that everything is a challenge.

For example (secret weapon spoilers) supposedly the first boss you can fight will drop his weapon if you chose to fight him as soon as you meet him with either your fists or a broken sword. This will take 45 minutes assuming you're good enough to not die If this sound painful to you well...

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

So is there enough loot and other special, tangible rewards of the like after difficult sections/difficult bosses to warrant getting this?
Yes.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
Fantastic! I was worried I'd be in it for self-satisfaction and not loot. Gonna go put my preorder down for it now. I don't care if it knocks me around and fucks my poo poo up, just as long as I can get that super special sword.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I don't know if "yes there is loot" really encompasses it. The loot in Demon's Souls, and so far in Dark, is spectacular. Weird weapons and items and armor around every turn. It's like say, Baldur's Gate 2 loot, but better.

edit: here, watch this video from Demon's Souls to see what you have to go through to get the moonlight sword.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Sep 28, 2011

AaronB
Jan 9, 2011
Oh man, I preordered a couple months ago or whenever the free special edition was announced, I thought it was coming out near the end of October instead of the 4th. I'm so freaking excited now.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

So is there enough loot and other special, tangible rewards of the like after difficult sections/difficult bosses to warrant getting this? Or am I better off just watching Squint's playthrough again?

Man the monk's hat from Demon's Souls alone was more rewarding than every single other piece of loot I have ever received from a game that was not Diablo or Diablo 2. I think you've been cheating yourself out of an awesome time with the original, don't make that mistake again.

Blarfo
Jul 17, 2007
Has anyone who has been playing the Japanese release noticed an improvement on the netcode? Demon's Souls was pretty great but the laggy combat got kind of exhausting after a while. Being hit by someone who hasn't even started their offensive dodge roll attack by an offensive dodge roll attack is really annoying.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don't know if "yes there is loot" really encompasses it. The loot in Demon's Souls, and so far in Dark, is spectacular. Weird weapons and items and armor around every turn. It's like say, Baldur's Gate 2 loot, but better.

edit: here, watch this video from Demon's Souls to see what you have to go through to get the moonlight sword.

I wouldn't say the loot is like Baldur's Gate 2 loot at all. The thing about DS loot is that it is functionally differentiated rather than based on stats. There are very big differences between types of weapons, and there comes to be a big emphasis on picking the right tool for the job.

For example, my character is kind of a jack of all trades adventurer. I swap between weapons/armor/rings based on what I'm going up against. So in a lot of cases it's not so much about how much more powerful the loot you're finding is making you, but about the different situations you're now better-prepared to take on now that you've found that shield, sword, armor, ring, or whatever.

It was a big deal for me to get access to a bow after a few hours of dark souls. I wouldn't consider that epic loot, but it makes pulling enemies individually a lot easier. It's not quite the best example, but that's kind of how loot works in DS games. There still are a lot of occassions where you'll find loot that will never be useful to your character, and in those instances the challenge of the boss fight itself has to be it's own reward.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Blarfo posted:

Has anyone who has been playing the Japanese release noticed an improvement on the netcode? Demon's Souls was pretty great but the laggy combat got kind of exhausting after a while. Being hit by someone who hasn't even started their offensive dodge roll attack by an offensive dodge roll attack is really annoying.
I haven't done PvP yet but have played PvE a bit. I saw some of the same lag that is in Demon's, but less of it I guess. In one boss fight with two companions the frame rate tanked though, when it didn't when I was there alone.

edit: ^^^ I meant more in the sense that it is all hand-placed and a lot of it is unique and weird. It's something I feel has died out from RPGs recently, replaced with either randomized loot or just money and crafting components.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oooft, never seen that before. I know what I'm doing tonight.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

CAustin posted:

I got a UK LCE here in Germany because a supplier already shipped some out. Official EU release is the 7th. I'm used to getting things early in that shop, but 10 days is a first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyn
Mar 27, 2010
Is it generally a bad idea to spread points across multiple stats? The strength requirements for some items are insane, so I feel like I'm going to severely gimp myself by doing so.

• Locked thread