Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
Oh, I've got another question for those of you who have the game already. How's the parrying? Is it feasible to abuse if you have good timing? Is the opening for a parry about the same as the last game, or has it been balanced one way or the other? I ask because I'm already thinking of rolling a regular-Joe-Schmoe-looking guy and want to know if it's possible to beat the game through sheer will of breaking it over your knee by absolutely mastering the parry system, or if I'm better off shelving that idea and just rolling with a dude-who-has-neat-armor kind of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Really hope bows are fun and cool. Leaning hunter for my first play through.

hyn
Mar 27, 2010

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

Oh, I've got another question for those of you who have the game already. How's the parrying? Is it feasible to abuse if you have good timing? Is the opening for a parry about the same as the last game, or has it been balanced one way or the other? I ask because I'm already thinking of rolling a regular-Joe-Schmoe-looking guy and want to know if it's possible to beat the game through sheer will of breaking it over your knee by absolutely mastering the parry system, or if I'm better off shelving that idea and just rolling with a dude-who-has-neat-armor kind of thing.

Some attacks can't be parried, so you'd still want a full size shield for those situations.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
parrying and dodging are equally important. you're better off getting used to both than relying on just one.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

hyn posted:

Some attacks can't be parried, so you'd still want a full size shield for those situations.

So if I went a light-armor sword/mace/spear-and-shield build with a fast roll and focused on parrying with holding my weapon in both hands whenever possible, I should be okay?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

If you want an emphasis on ripostes and backstabs then you want high mobility and either daggers or rapiers since they have the highest multipliers for those attacks.

hyn
Mar 27, 2010

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

So if I went a light-armor sword/mace/spear-and-shield build with a fast roll and focused on parrying with holding my weapon in both hands whenever possible, I should be okay?

I'd say yes, light weight is probably a very challenging but fun way to play. I find having speed to be quite useful, especially during boss fights.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Ratios and Tendency posted:

If you want an emphasis on ripostes and backstabs then you want high mobility and either daggers or rapiers since they have the highest multipliers for those attacks.

Great!

I'm going to have to report back how I'm doing once I get my hands on this game, and either bring you guys a success story or (much more likely) lots and lots of deaths. :shobon: Thanks guys.

waspinator
Oct 18, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Great OP, just now taking interest in this game. I tried to order on amazon and get release date shipping via amazon prime but it gave me an estimated delivery date of the 6th. I'd rather just go pick it up at Gamestop so I can get it on the actual day.

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Thank you Grizzlebees... I was hungry.
Samurai Sanders can you answer one question for me?

There were (almost) literally no streaming footage of mage characters from anyone. Is this because the first players wanted the most difficult route possible, or do they consider mages gimped this time and took melee for easier play? I know magic was considered easy mode for the first game by many, but why the blackout of them in this game?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Ankle-biter posted:

Samurai Sanders can you answer one question for me?

There were (almost) literally no streaming footage of mage characters from anyone. Is this because the first players wanted the most difficult route possible, or do they consider mages gimped this time and took melee for easier play? I know magic was considered easy mode for the first game by many, but why the blackout of them in this game?

There's no conspiracy or anything. Magic is just as powerful, at least in the single player, as it ever was in the first game.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Is the resistance attribute as pointless to put points in as it sounds?

Ralconn
Aug 2, 2006

Awesome OP with a lot of good info for me since I'm staying away from the streams.
I wouldn't be surprised if this is not my GOTY for 2011 beating out Skyrim even. This game just really captures the feeling of classic games as far as the difficulty is concerned and the sheer amount of things you can do is awesome. If this game isn't worth $60 I don't know what is.

Also my tip for new players is learn from your deaths. Don't get pissed about it, just think about what you did wrong and what you could have done better. A lot of times the key to success is just understanding the attack patterns of the enemy. Strategy will beat out skill pretty much all the time.

EDIT:
Also what the hell is this and can I do it when I invade people?
http://youtu.be/wslRZw9XVdA

Ralconn fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Sep 28, 2011

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

ErIog posted:

There's no conspiracy or anything. Magic is just as powerful, at least in the single player, as it ever was in the first game.

Well in the first game you could rush what was it...4-1? For the crescent falchion. Without a hub, I would like to know when you can get a similar item in this game. From what I've heard there isn't any near the start, therefore it's much tougher to use spells at the start.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Ankle-biter posted:

Well in the first game you could rush what was it...4-1? For the crescent falchion. Without a hub, I would like to know when you can get a similar item in this game. From what I've heard there isn't any near the start, therefore it's much tougher to use spells at the start.

The mage class starts with soul arrow and a catalyst which is more than enough to cheese your way to unlocking the rest of the more substantial magic pretty quickly. If you're talking about magic weapons then that's an entirely different ball game, and the game has complete re-done that system.

Bonus info:
Crystal geckos now respawn if you miss them!

Eddain
May 6, 2007

ErIog posted:

The mage class starts with soul arrow and a catalyst which is more than enough to cheese your way to unlocking the rest of the more substantial magic pretty quickly. If you're talking about magic weapons then that's an entirely different ball game, and the game has complete re-done that system.

Bonus info:
Crystal geckos now respawn if you miss them!

But do they morph into Black Phantoms and horribly slaughter you after luring you into a sense of security at a dead end?

Ankle-biter
Mar 10, 2004

Eddain posted:

But do they morph into Black Phantoms and horribly slaughter you after luring you into a sense of security at a dead end?

I'm betting at least 90% of the player population stays in hollow form for a very long time. Especially 360 players like me.

I'm actually scared by all the ps3 fanatics in here. What's all this talk about buying a ps3 just for this game? You don't have a 360? What do you play...Wii? :getout:

waspinator
Oct 18, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

waspinator posted:

Great OP, just now taking interest in this game. I tried to order on amazon and get release date shipping via amazon prime but it gave me an estimated delivery date of the 6th. I'd rather just go pick it up at Gamestop so I can get it on the actual day.

That was just the CE apparently, just got the regular edition with on release date shipping. I don't need that extra stuff anyway. Hooray!

This will be my first foray into this type of game, and I'll probably be live streaming it blindly. I expect massive rages to be induced.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
With Amazon in the UK can I expect to get it next Friday? I certainly hope so, I've got the day off and everything,

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

Great!

I'm going to have to report back how I'm doing once I get my hands on this game, and either bring you guys a success story or (much more likely) lots and lots of deaths. :shobon: Thanks guys.

Please do report back.

The best part about the Demon's Souls thread is the new players reporting their experiences.

Don't skimp on details either! We want to know just how bad you poo poo your pants when you came across some horrific nightmare of a beast. :)

You know what I'm excited about? The fact that game isn't region locked for MP. Now I can help some of the guys on here from across the pond!

J
Jun 10, 2001

Since there is no hub this time around, will people just be referring to area names to give directions? As opposed to 1-1, 3-2, etc from Demon's Souls? Or does the world design lend itself to some similar type of shorthand naming scheme?

Eddain
May 6, 2007

J posted:

Since there is no hub this time around, will people just be referring to area names to give directions? As opposed to 1-1, 3-2, etc from Demon's Souls? Or does the world design lend itself to some similar type of shorthand naming scheme?

We should name areas based on most common ways to die there.

"That place where the dragon eats you" and "The place where everything is a walking vagina of doom."

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Eddain posted:

We should name areas based on most common ways to die there.

"That place where the dragon eats you" and "The place where everything is a walking vagina of doom."

The Castle of Aaaauuuggghhhh

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?
When you enter a new area, a couple of big words appear on the screen showing the place's name. Like, "Undead Burg" from the E3 demo.

Otherwise, it'd be like one of those old-timey maps of the world, where the uncharted territory near the assumed edge of the world just has 'HERE BE DRAGONS,' and maybe a couple pictures of sea monsters, except in DS+ that is the entire world.

So. Now, Invading people is harder to do. You need either some special cirucmstantial shenanigans to come up from being part of a covenant, (dudes trespassing in your forest covenant's territory, counter-invasions if you set up a gravelord, or oathbreakers if you're in that darkmoon covenant) or if you want to do a classic 'insert yourself into someone else's world and kill him,' you need some kinda-rare kinda-expensive limited-use invasion item. Initially I was kinda disappointed that PVP was made less accessible and harder. Now I realize it's a brilliant move to avoid having a lame, static pvp-dueling scene crop up like in DS-. If you invade someone, you've got a few thousand soulbucks on the line. It's like, you have to ante up before playing Invasion, meaning you have something to lose from the start, in addition to the potential profit from killing and eating someone's humanity. This encourages invaders to actually play to win, by fighting dirty and using the environment instead of showing up and /bowing before engaging in honorable 1 on 1 combat, over and over again.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Ankle-biter posted:

I'm betting at least 90% of the player population stays in hollow form for a very long time. Especially 360 players like me.

Right at release would be the ideal time to play in body form. It'll take a few weeks for the hardcore PVP crowd to learn all the ins and outs of the game and identify the best gear for PVPing.

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.
I know this sounds like a dumb question, but the lore and feeling is part of the game for me.

So... why are you collecting souls this time? What is the reason for More souls = More power this time around?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

waspinator posted:

That was just the CE apparently, just got the regular edition with on release date shipping. I don't need that extra stuff anyway. Hooray!

Preorders are automatically upgraded to the collector's edition, free of charge. It's why the CE is the same price as the regular.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

Eddain posted:

Oh my god if the disguise spell let you turn into a crystal gekko that would be the best thing ever.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I don't know if you can still get that from Amazon, but Gamestop told me on Monday when I preordered that that SKU was no longer available as of a few days prior, so you can't get the CE for the same price anymore. :(

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

EndOfTheWorld posted:

Oh my god if the disguise spell let you turn into a crystal gekko that would be the best thing ever.

"Huh, that's weird why is that gecko running towards me? OH MY FUC--"
YOU HOLLOWED

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
No no no, a large enemy uses a crystal gecko-shaped lure. Like a giant, horrible angler fish.

Or a swarm of geckos surges around the corner and engulfs you.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
"Oh sweet another gecko nest like in 2-2 time to farm so-gently caress :gonk:"

fivetwo
Jun 19, 2009
My mistake then. I got the "heavily compressed" thing from this post:

http://www.justpushstart.com/2011/06/09/e3-2011-dark-souls-ps3-is-superior-360-version-heavily-compressed-onto-one-disc/

ColdCock
Jun 3, 2001

God's Hand
Does anyone know of a place that still has the PS3 Collector's Edition available for preorder? Gamestop and Amazon seem to be out.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Schubalts posted:

No no no, a large enemy uses a crystal gecko-shaped lure. Like a giant, horrible angler fish.

Or a swarm of geckos surges around the corner and engulfs you.

It'd be a little disconcerting if we found out that Geckos eat flesh.

They just swarm you and then after they leave you're just bone and bits of armor.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ColdCock posted:

Does anyone know of a place that still has the PS3 Collector's Edition available for preorder? Gamestop and Amazon seem to be out.

Newegg did last night.

Sumadartson
Nov 24, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

I can't play Dark Souls for two more days, until I get these two papers finished. It will be the longest two days ever. I know that I can't play it for just a short time because that's what I tried to do yesterday and I ended up not getting a lick of work done.

This is one of those kinds of games. One of the few left for me.

What's the status on a) playing online and b) the random freezes? Any news?

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.
Can anyone enlighten us on the netcode for Dark Souls?
Cause thats my biggest complaint about demons souls. The lag.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Are the controls mostly the same as Demon Souls? is inventory management a little bit easier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

IGN (pronounced "ugh") is doing the same review-in-progress that Gamespot is doing. Here's a hilarious little tidbit from it relating to a certain strategy in Demon's Souls. Sorry for the huge black spoiler box; it is truly a gameplay/strategy spoiler, but a hilarious one.

(About a dragon in the distance) Standing just out of range of his fiery exhalations, I fired arrow after arrow at his face, doing miniscule damage with each one. After about five minutes of this, he got pissed off with me and, to my horror, jumped down onto the actual bridge and stomped over to say hello. Terrified, I scampered back to an alcove further down, hiding from his thrashing attacks. I was trapped. All I could do was dart out and fire the odd arrow at him whenever there was a break in his raging.

About one hour and 300 arrows later, with the dragon about halfway towards death, I accidentally pressed the wrong button and stepped backwards off the bridge. So it goes.

• Locked thread