Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrSaturn
Sep 8, 2004

Go ahead, laugh. They all laugh at first...

MiniFoo posted:

Holy poo poo, I want an accelerometer display in my car.

Then buy this beast:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blq0s0hGhXA
(don't mind the overly dramatic narration)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk
Yeah but the corvette has the accelerometer in a HUD, like a fighter jet :colbert:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko9kzyqW-l8#t=4m16s

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

D C posted:

Look at the yellow pole behind the car on the left. Its a really good photoshop until you see where they chopped the picture to lower it.

Heh, didn't catch that. You'd think they would use a better picture instead of one with a huge glare on the front of it. Looks cool though, the super Juke or whatever should end up on Top Gear if it actually gets produced, looking forward to seeing that episode.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

BonzoESC posted:

Overall length is less than an inch longer than the MINI Cooper Countryman, it's skinnier than either, and has a mere four inches on (is 106% of) the GTI's height.

Oh the Countryman -- yeah I suppose it could fight that. But nobody gets the Countryman expecting a Mini Cooper, do they?

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

tobu posted:

Let's not forget the Jukes sports-bike inspired centre console which I think looks awesome but it's just going to get scratched to poo poo right?

Have car makers forgotten that people have arms, and that said arms sometimes need to be somewhere other than pointing at the steering wheel or shifter? Resting on something, if you will?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Left Ventricle posted:

Have car makers forgotten that people have arms, and that said arms sometimes need to be somewhere other than pointing at the steering wheel or shifter? Resting on something, if you will?

How dare you not be at 9 & 3 all the time!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Left Ventricle posted:

I've never missed an armrest in my Panda, not even for long drives. In fact, the only car I've ever used one in was my parents' (automatic) Mercedes.

I usually just rest my left arm on the door or my right on my leg v:shobon:v

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

Left Ventricle posted:

Especially in a manual, I mean what the poo poo

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Guinness posted:

How dare you not be at 9 & 3 all the time!

10 and 2 you heathen

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

rscott posted:

10 and 2 you heathen

Not in the post-airbag world champ.

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
That Juke console and lowered picture make me want one. I don't know what it is, but any car that has a turbo button I loving love. It's why I like launch control, you get to pretend you're a space jet fighter whose about to see some serious poo poo Marty.

Is it realistic to lower the Juke?

e- looks like H&R are offering a kit
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/h-r-plays-with-the-nissan-juke-25529.html

Morphix fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 28, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

rscott posted:

10 and 2 you heathen

you should really be rollin 8 and 4 all the cool kihds are

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

you should really be rollin 8 and 4 all the cool kihds are

12 and 6 is the best, you all know it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Wait, you use your hands?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

KozmoNaut posted:

I've never missed an armrest in my Panda, not even for long drives. In fact, the only car I've ever used one in was my parents' (automatic) Mercedes.

I usually just rest my left arm on the door or my right on my leg v:shobon:v

Yeah, armrests and cupholders are very much an American phenomenon.

heat posted:

Yeah but the corvette has the accelerometer in a HUD, like a fighter jet :colbert:

Or like an 90s Nissan Bluebid.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

kimbo305 posted:

Eh, I'd rather get the manual and FWD than auto and AWD. The AWD wouldn't add that much more pleasure over having a stick.

Doesn't the Juke have a nice torque vectoring system in it? That would make it fun with a manual.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Morphix posted:

That Juke console and lowered picture make me want one. I don't know what it is, but any car that has a turbo button I loving love. It's why I like launch control, you get to pretend you're a space jet fighter whose about to see some serious poo poo Marty.

Is it realistic to lower the Juke?

e- looks like H&R are offering a kit
http://www.autoevolution.com/news/h-r-plays-with-the-nissan-juke-25529.html

I think it's safe to say that that needs to be lower. Like, non-crossover/suv ride height low. (And I'm not even A5h.)

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

rscott posted:

10 and 2 you heathen

Not in any racing ever.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

DJ Commie posted:

Not in any racing ever.

Are you sure about? Like 100% sure? I'm pretty sure if I take the time to go research I'm going to find someone that contradicts you.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I can't speak to racing, but when I went through driver's ed in 2005, '9 and 3' was the official line. Personally, I feel it offers the best control in most situations, but I've never done any racing, so like I said, I can't speak to that.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

In modern racing cars with a normal wheel and power steering, 9 and 3 is enough to keep your hands on the wheels for almost all of your inputs, unless you need to get into wild oppo maneuvers. 10 and 2 would mean your outside hand would get a bit awkward if you hung onto the wheel deep into turns.

Purpose built race cars will have even tighter steering ratios and need even less angle to steer the car.

On the highway, I just sin and hang my left hand at 6 and call it a day.

Jezrael
May 1, 2005
the bagel is an adequate vessel of nutrition
It's like a microwave in my car all day. 12 o'clock representin'.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

this is me: :snoop:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I like to alternate between "Big Gulp+phone, knee on 6" and "12 and crotch, seat reclined past the B pillar"

tobu
Aug 20, 2004

Bunny-Bee makes me happy!
Nine and three is where I need to be if I want to reach my paddles.

I wonder what my driving instructor would have said if I turned up for my test with some flappy paddles.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Coredump posted:

Are you sure about? Like 100% sure? I'm pretty sure if I take the time to go research I'm going to find someone that contradicts you.

Only if they turn left or turn left sideways.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Coredump posted:

I suppose WRC changes to single hands on shifts like any other non-paddle shifter placement. F1 wheels are more like 9:30 and 2:30, they are more square than round, but their lock-to-lock steering ratio is less than a single revolution.

The 9/3 placement of hands provides the most accuracy for turning, I suppose if you had really slow steering, lot of play, or needed serious leverage a 10/2 position might suit more.

Knee driver supremacy.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

MetaJew posted:

I think it's safe to say that that needs to be lower. Like, non-crossover/suv ride height low. (And I'm not even A5h.)

At some point it just becomes a turbo Versa.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

NOTinuyasha posted:

At some point it just becomes a turbo Versa.

Nah, the Juke is never gonna get as bland as the Versa.

Mistayke
May 7, 2003

I could fit a juke in my Versa. Bland? Maybe. I've driven a Juke and it's downright tiny inside. Forget putting people in the back unless they're four foot tall.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Some vehicles really suck to knee-drive. 40 foot Gillig Phantom or Low-Floor bus? drat near impossible to knee-drive. My '97 Grand Cherokee wasn't very easy to do either. However, my Mazda6 is wonderful to steer with my fat leg. I can probably get 50 degrees of rotation with knee only.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Nah, the Juke is never gonna get as bland as the Versa.

The new Tiida looks pretty good, available with the same turbo 1.6 as the Juke just with a more conventional body style.

Wikipedia says its coming to the US as the Versa hatch, although who knows what engine options it'll end up with

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

dissss posted:

The new Tiida looks pretty good, available with the same turbo 1.6 as the Juke just with a more conventional body style.

Wikipedia says its coming to the US as the Versa hatch, although who knows what engine options it'll end up with
Cold day in hell before the US market Versa gets a turbo. The people who buy the Versa wouldn't know what to do with it. They'd probably fill up with 87 ('cause it's cheaper, why does an econobox need premium?) and blow the drat thing.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.

Left Ventricle posted:

Cold day in hell before the US market Versa gets a turbo. The people who buy the Versa wouldn't know what to do with it. They'd probably fill up with 87 ('cause it's cheaper, why does an econobox need premium?) and blow the drat thing.

The Sonata Turbo recommends 87. Not sure why exactly.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Linedance posted:

"12 and crotch, seat reclined past the B pillar"

this is known as the detroit lean just fyi

i want a mandatory detroit lean racing series

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Left Ventricle posted:

You could say the same thing about the Cruze and whatever the smaller one's called yet they got the option.

It depends on how they price/position it and having the hatch and sedan on totally different platforms is strange enough as it is.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

dissss posted:

You could say the same thing about the Cruze and whatever the smaller one's called yet they got the option.
Right, but the Cruze has 148 hp. The Juke engine, which I'm guessing is the one everyone is talking about possibly being put in to the Versa, is about 180 or so hp. That would make it potentially quicker than the Sentra SE-R, maybe even the Spec-V.

69sofine
Jan 30, 2007
Im a hott horny asain.

Gripen5 posted:

The Sonata Turbo recommends 87. Not sure why exactly.

Doesn't the Genesis coupe turbo recommend 87 as well?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Left Ventricle posted:

Right, but the Cruze has 148 hp. The Juke engine, which I'm guessing is the one everyone is talking about possibly being put in to the Versa, is about 180 or so hp. That would make it potentially quicker than the Sentra SE-R, maybe even the Spec-V.

Assuming they stick with the QR in the Sentra (which is end of line everywhere else in the world).

Who knows though, they could always do a Volkswagen and keep sell the old engine Stateside long after its been superseded by more efficient small capacity turbos elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

To revive some of the JukeChat that's been going on: Nissan is stuffing the 520HP 3.8L V6 from the GT-R into a one-off concept, the Juke-R.