Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brace
May 29, 2010

by Ozmaugh

vandalism posted:

All my bullets seem to be going down and to the right of where I'm shooting. They always hit towards the bottom right area of my cross hair. At first I just thought it was only my Survivalist's Rifle, but now I see that all my guns are doing this. It isn't too terrible because in most firefights I've tested so far, my gun is hitting outside of vats. I can shoot at a dead body, a tin can, or even a wall; however, and miss completely and hit whatever is down and to the right of what I'm aiming at. Then I aim a little bit up and to the left, and behold, I hit stuff.

Anyone know what could be causing this? It happens in first person. Maybe I'm just being weird and it's been this way all along. I mean it has to have been. Nothing has really changed except updating AG supplementary weapons mod. That couldn't affect my aim on all my guns. Anyone have any similar problem to this?

Have enough strength for your weapons? Have the no auto-aim addon? (If not you should get it, it makes your bullets where you shoot them)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Bash Ironfist posted:

I don't know what that is, but it's fantastic. He looks like a long-lost Village People member. :gay:

Confirmed Bachelor really is good, I used to take intense training, but now I use CB instead.

Its my character wearing the boomer hat, boomer flight jacket, and thump-thump standing in front of the boomer mural of their history

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.
My character's interaction with the Sierra Madre's lesson is a lot like Captain Kirk facing the Kobayashi Maru. He understands the premise, he just rejects it. The only time I'm "letting go" of that loving gold is when I'm paying the vendortron for all of this GRA cache.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
At what point in the main quest is there a "point of no return"?

Specifically, where should I be saving so I can reload and continue exploring without having areas inaccessible because it would "finish" the game, or what journal entry should I stop at so I can continue to play the game fully without finishing it?

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Xik posted:

Specifically, where should I be saving so I can reload and continue exploring without having areas inaccessible because it would "finish" the game, or what journal entry should I stop at so I can continue to play the game fully without finishing it?

It'll pop up with a message box saying you need to commit to go forward.

Happydogska
Jan 26, 2003
It always smells like fish.

Xik posted:

It'll tell you, very specifically. The whole game will foreshadow where the "final battle" will be, and when it's clear that people are getting ready to rumble, the game will even tell you "hey, the game's about to end. Wrap up your stuff first."

Edit: The game will even tell you when your actions are about to permanently piss off any faction to the point where they won't give you any more quests.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The game will also automatically make a system save before the point of no return so you can go back even if you ignore all the warnings and/or choose to finish the game.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Oh great, that's pretty handy, and made me look like an idiot. :downs:

Did Fallout 3 have this? I'm sure it didn't because I remember being pretty mad about the ending and not being able to keep playing, which is what prompted me to ask about it for this one.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Xik posted:

Oh great, that's pretty handy, and made me look like an idiot. :downs:

Did Fallout 3 have this? I'm sure it didn't because I remember being pretty mad about the ending and not being able to keep playing, which is what prompted me to ask about it for this one.

Yeah, it's called Broken Steel and costs $4.99 :v:

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah, it's called Broken Steel and costs $4.99 :v:

Oh, I got F3 on release and spent way too much time with it, the only DLC I played after that was Operation Anchorage. I guess I should go back and play the rest of the DLC at some point but my backloggery is already full of unfinished games as it is.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Xik posted:

Nothing personal, but this question has cropped up so many times I went in and took a screenshot so it could hopefully be shoved in the OP.

Is there a point of no return?

Yes. The game is quite explicit about when this is. Pictured above is the "Hey, this is the point of no return" dialogue option for the Yes Man ending. After this, you go to the second battle of Hoover Dam, and can't come back. You can't play 'after the end' (like Broken Steel in FO3). A little while ago the game was patched to create an autosave for you at this point, so that you don't lock your character into the endgame (as certain reading-comprehension challenged individuals have apparently done in the past).

There are also a handful of "soft" point-of-no-returns, that specifically deal with which faction you are supporting. They appear as quests: "Don't Tread on the Bear", and "Beware the Wrath of Caesar". These are to let you know that you've helped out the NCR or the Legion to the point that if you continue to help one, you will alienate the other and will no longer be able to finish the game for the alienated faction. (I believe there is a Mr. House version, but can't find it on the Fallout Wiki) (Edit: There isn't one). You are always able to complete the game through the Independent / Yes Man path.

Beef Hardcheese fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Sep 28, 2011

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Simon Draskovic posted:

Nothing personal, but this question has cropped up so many times I went in and took a screenshot so it could hopefully be shoved in the OP.

Yes. The game is quite explicit about when this is. Pictured above is the "Hey, this is the point of no return" dialogue option for the Yes Man ending. After this, you go to the second battle of Hoover Dam, and can't come back. You can't play 'after the end' (like Broken Steel in FO3). A little while ago the game was patched to create an autosave for you at this point, so that you don't lock your character into the endgame (as certain reading-comprehension challenged individuals have apparently done in the past).

There are also a handful of "soft" point-of-no-returns, that specifically deal with which faction you are supporting. They appear as quests: "Don't Tread on the Bear", and "Beware the Wrath of Caesar". These are to let you know that you've helped out the NCR or the Legion to the point that if you continue to help one, you will alienate the other and will no longer be able to finish the game for the alienated faction. (I believe there is a Mr. House version, but can't find it on the Fallout Wiki). You are always able to complete the game through the Independent / Yes Man path.

I won't put the picture in, but I'll edit the FAQ question that deals with this about the saving game and confirmation to continue stuff.

Edit: I compromised and linked to your post that has the picture.

Stay Safe fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 28, 2011

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

AlmightyBob posted:

Its my character wearing the boomer hat, boomer flight jacket, and thump-thump standing in front of the boomer mural of their history

I might have to steal this. Although I got that poncho mod, so I made a :clint: character. Maybe once I beat the game for the first time, and do a second run through.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Simon Draskovic posted:

There are also a handful of "soft" point-of-no-returns, that specifically deal with which faction you are supporting. They appear as quests: "Don't Tread on the Bear", and "Beware the Wrath of Caesar". These are to let you know that you've helped out the NCR or the Legion to the point that if you continue to help one, you will alienate the other and will no longer be able to finish the game for the alienated faction. (I believe there is a Mr. House version, but can't find it on the Fallout Wiki). You are always able to complete the game through the Independent / Yes Man path.

I don't know if it was a mod I had at the time or if that's just how it is, but after I reached the point of no return and then finished the game, it reloaded the special save it made at that point but all the end game quests were completed, which was neat.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
So, um, Davison is real happy to see me I guess.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Ddraig posted:

So, um, Davison is real happy to see me I guess.

He just wants to be your friend. Your..special friend. :wink:

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

Simon Draskovic posted:

(I believe there is a Mr. House version, but can't find it on the Fallout Wiki).

There isn't. Mr. House will work with you up until the point where you kill him.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
I'm trying to make kind of a gimmick run redoing one of the FO1 preset characters.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Natalia_Dubrovhsky

(my version:)

Now I have one problem, that character uses the godlike trait "gifted" which basically gave 6 additional SPECIAL points for free and of course doesn't exist anymore because it's horribly broken.

(The values are: 4 ST, 5 PE, 6 EN, 7 CH, 7 IN, 10 AG, 6 LK)

the tagged skills were also sneak, stealing and Unarmed, one of which doesn't exist anymore. Any hints from the gurus who know more about the gameplay systems of this game to make a character that's approx. what that character was supposed to be in FO1? Maybe Perks I should get?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Courier's Stash DLC has certainly helped me spruce up my new self-imposed (in morals, anyway) character, aptly named C. Jacobs (the C stands for Courier, naturally). I mean just look at that codpiece.

He is just rocking that codpiece.

Obligatory cheesy backstory to come later.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Sep 28, 2011

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

If you're tired of making fun of people who misunderstand the Confirmed Bachelor trait, guess who just found out for the first time that you can fire more than once in VATS? :doh:

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Jerusalem posted:

If you're tired of making fun of people who misunderstand the Confirmed Bachelor trait, guess who just found out for the first time that you can fire more than once in VATS? :doh:

Ok, I'm going to bite. How on earth were you unaware of this?

Do you just not use VATS normally so it's just a case of "I never use it so didn't know that", or you actually use it and just click once, then watch the animation, then do it again? I really am unsure how you even achieved this.

While we are stating things we didn't know, for the longest time I didn't know you could cycle through item types in the shop/container view. I thought how absolutely frustrating it was that you had a single window with all your items and had to hunt down looking for all your armor or all your guns. Turns out you can press the left and right arrow keys to filter through item categories like in your pipboy.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Xik posted:

Do you just not use VATS normally so it's just a case of "I never use it so didn't know that", or you actually use it and just click once, then watch the animation, then do it again? I really am unsure how you even achieved this.

While we are stating things we didn't know, for the longest time I didn't know you could cycle through item types in the shop/container view. I thought how absolutely frustrating it was that you had a single window with all your items and had to hunt down looking for all your armor or all your guns. Turns out you can press the left and right arrow keys to filter through item categories like in your pipboy.

I didn't know that about shop/container views!

Also, I made a new character. 9 int 9 luck. Lockpicking/science/repair. I was hidden behind the npc in the goodsprings bar, stole his poo poo. I went outside, and for some reason everyone attacked. It said hidden when I did it. :(

Gonna have to redo because I was too stupid to save before trying it. Might just hold off until I can get GRA.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I just finished Lonesome Road and got the House conversation/duster even though like the first thing I did in Vegas was pop the flavor seal on that mummy bastard and go fist bump Yes Man before beginning a campaign of terror against the NCR and Legion. Whatever, the House coat looks coolest anyway.

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!

edit: also I went into VATS to shoot a Marked Man with a chainsaw, but when I saw his name I was compelled to switch to a ballistic fist and run at him shouting "BONESAW'S RRREADY!" lonesome road was worth the purchase, is what I'm saying

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Sep 28, 2011

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Xik posted:

I'd normally either use VATS to score my opening shot then just fight normally, or fight normally and use VATS when I felt I had a good chance of finishing them. It never occurred to me that clicking stacked/queued attacks, even though it is painfully obvious. I have no justification, it was dumb, and I'm the dummy. I feel like an idiot.

Xik posted:

:aaa:

I.... I mean.... EVERYBODY knows that :smug:

Oh God if I was a Fallout character I'd be Fantastic

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
Falsifying grassroots support since 2006!
If you've got better criticals, finesse and elijah's rambling it looks like the Gun Runners' mantis fist is the best unarmed weapon in the game (in VATS).

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

More like Two-Step Goodbye.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Bash Ironfist posted:

I didn't know that about shop/container views!

I didn't for the longest time either, this certainly tends to get more painful as the game goes on.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The GRA challenges are great. I can't be the only one who already did A Slave Obeys, Nyah! See? and Talk About Owned my first playthrough, before they were actually a thing.

Allahu Snackbar
Apr 16, 2003

I came all the way from Taipei today, now Bangkok's pissin' rain and I'm goin' blind again.
So I spent a few hours being overincumbered, trudging from shop to shop in the New Vegas metro area, selling off half my Sierra Nevada gold to buy GRA schwag.

Suddenly, a single legionary assassin busts out of the brush near the grub & gulp. I take a moment to decide which of my new weapons gets to be tested, and decide on Esther + Tiny Tot cluster nukes.

Effective demonstration! :gibs: (minor collateral damage sadly Fitz and Lupe are no longer with us)

Also I totally started humming the Kill Bill theme song as I slowly walked through freeside slicing up the random crackhead who somehow thinks its a good idea to attack the guy in desert ranger armor with a katana on his hip.

Also, Lil' Devil is my new favorite murder button. Better DAM, DPS, and magazine capacity than A Light Shining in Darkness, plus added critical chance? poo poo yes.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

rope kid posted:

In Bethesda's defense, they've pretty much always made first-person RPGs.

Futhermore, Fallout does fit the mold of first-person RPG pretty well. I am a turn-based strategy fan though and I'm really saddened by the lack of modern games with TBS systems and buy games almost only on principle of being slower than real-time.

This is probably also cancelled out when I buy games like Saints Row because they are so much fun.

Omnicarus posted:

Wait what? I thought that Confirmed Bachelor was like a ladies' man. An alpha male like George Clooney or Benecio Del Toro that is ripped and masculine and doesn't get married because hey, plenty of fish in the sea.

Sadly, you are not a special snowflake of ignorance.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

rope kid posted:

More like Two-Step Goodbye.

This thing is awesome, but I got a feeling using this weapon with companions in Hardcore (especially Veronica or Lily) is going to end in tragedy.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mordaedil posted:

Sadly, you are not a special snowflake of ignorance.

C'mon, Omicarus is just joking, right? I mean, he even used the phrase 'alpha male' verbatim, so of course he's kidding!

Right?

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Sep 28, 2011

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Nelson Mandingo posted:

A while back I made a perfect Six String Samurai named Buddy http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Z05YB35EL._SL500_AA300_.jpg though, the problem is there is no Katana in the game like Fallout 3 so he never worked out.

I saw both a guitar and a katana as usable melee weapons while deciding which mods to install for my new playthrough, so no more excuses.

Couldn't say in what mods I saw them though :v:

(sooooo maaaaanyyyy)

May even have been that new Gunrunner-Armory-DLC.

MissConduct
Jun 20, 2008

Hardships are like training with lead weights...
When they come off, you go flying down the road!

Grand Fromage posted:

The GRA challenges are great. I can't be the only one who already did A Slave Obeys, Nyah! See? and Talk About Owned my first playthrough, before they were actually a thing.

This has been a long and involved play through for my current character. I can't wait to finish and then do a Legion run.
I love the Bioshock reference and I want to do A Slave Obeys and kill Kimball Wilkes-style.

So far I've done NCR and am now doing a Yes-Man ending.
I want to try to avoid companions on that one but I love the story lines around them and it's always nice to have a pack mule or two.

I just spent a couple of hours fighting in The Thorn. Great way to garner XP and you get paid - and laid!
The Heated Super-Saturnite Fist with the Pyromaniac is loving awesome against Deathclaws, even at my Unarmed Level of 40 and my character is Level 39.
I one-shotted the Legendary Deathclaw! :black101:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

CommissarMega posted:

C'mon, Omicarus is just joking, right? I mean, he even used the phrase 'alpha male' verbatim, so of course he's kidding!

Right?

If it's a joke, we can all laugh at it at least. I certainly hope it was.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I just started Old World Blues last night and :psyduck:

It's like I fell into an episode of Futurama and I love it. I sure am glad I had to patience to sit through all of the dialog at the beginning though.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Jerusalem posted:

Don't worry, it was only when I played Oblivion I suddenly realised you can assign weapons and items to quickslots in New Vegas. I went through an entire hardcore run constantly ducking into my inventory to change weapon or heal.

:negative:

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

Yodzilla posted:

I just started Old World Blues last night and :psyduck:

It's like I fell into an episode of Futurama and I love it. I sure am glad I had to patience to sit through all of the dialog at the beginning though.

OK I just bought the first 2 DLCs, wanted to take a break and now I'm buying this. Thanks for nothing.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Set aside an hour or so if you're going to speak with the first bunch of NPCs. Exhausting their dialogue options is fun but good god, they pile it on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?
I sort of rushed the first two and will do them again. I'll really go through OWB with a fine tooth comb seeing as everyone rants on about it being the poo poo.