Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
So I got GRA, and I expected the katana to be some DT-ignoring god-killer, when in reality it just seems like a pretty decent melee weapon. It doesn't do poo poo against armored targets though, but I do like that its holster sometimes stays on your hip when you switch to a new weapon.

The real melee star I've found is the new GRA chainsaw. Thing is a beast, and if you have all the mods and the Heavyweight perk, it only weighs six pounds!

Anyone know where the super Recharger Pistol is? I checked all the merchants in and around Freeside to no avail, as well as the chica at the 188 trading post (fun fact: if you slice up that one guy's daughter in front of him witha chainsaw, he just stands there watching and will still sell you stuff).

poptart_fairy posted:

Set aside an hour or so if you're going to speak with the first bunch of NPCs. Exhausting their dialogue options is fun but good god, they pile it on.

After the intro, I like to space out most of their conversations with exploration. Except Borous, I could listen to that motherfucker all day :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Wolfsheim posted:

Anyone know where the super Recharger Pistol is? I checked all the merchants in and around Freeside to no avail, as well as the chica at the 188 trading post (fun fact: if you slice up that one guy's daughter in front of him witha chainsaw, he just stands there watching and will still sell you stuff).

If you have Honest Hearts you can get one off of the girl that gets blown apart at the very beginning.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Yodzilla posted:

If you have Honest Hearts you can get one off of the girl that gets blown apart at the very beginning.

I meant the new one added by GRA, actually. Unless rope kid added that into HH with GRA which would be incredible :aaa:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

rope kid posted:

More like Two-Step Goodbye.

It took me the longest time to realize that the Critical Kill on that was some kind of sticky bomb. I thought "Critical Kill: Boom" just meant that people fly apart even if you don't have Bloody Mess, and I thought that random enemies just dropped grenades when they died now as part of GRA.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?
I'm about 5 minutes into OWB and this is the best DLC ever already. Just wanted to come in and let your guys know.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Wolfsheim posted:

I meant the new one added by GRA, actually. Unless rope kid added that into HH with GRA which would be incredible :aaa:

Oh the GRA weapon is different than the Recharger that's been in the game since the beginning? According to the wiki the Recharger Pistol is nothing new http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Recharger_pistol

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/MF_Hyperbreeder_Alpha

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

I just started Old World Blues last night and :psyduck:

It's like I fell into an episode of Futurama and I love it. I sure am glad I had to patience to sit through all of the dialog at the beginning though.
I just started it too and I'm loving it. I laughed so hard when I recognized Dr. Venture's voice.

I have a gun with a dog brain in it :ohdear:

I loved Dead Money and thought Honest Hearts was pretty good, too, but I think I love this one most so far. The comedic tone wouldn't work without the great voice cast, but the VA is so great.

edit: After installing GRA, I think I'm going to make an energy weapons character. There's too much fun stuff to ignore that entire genre of weapons.

Star Guarded fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 28, 2011

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Star Guarded posted:

Is this thing supposed to sound so strange when it fires? There's almost no noise at all and the animation from the first-person perspective looks all kinds of hosed up.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

Yodzilla posted:

Is this thing supposed to sound so strange when it fires? There's almost no noise at all and the animation from the first-person perspective looks all kinds of hosed up.
Sounds kinda like a minigun for me. It's not quiet. Unless I'm remembering wrong - I only fired it a few times.

It does make dog noises when I equip/unequip, but that's the only "strange" thing.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Yeah for some reason when I was firing it last night it just kind of makes a quiet PIT-PIT-PIT noise, nothing like an actual minigun. Strange.

Thing Fish
Dec 8, 2006
any downers?

poptart_fairy posted:

Don't worry, it was only when I played Oblivion I suddenly realised you can assign weapons and items to quickslots in New Vegas. I went through an entire hardcore run constantly ducking into my inventory to change weapon or heal.

:negative:

Jesus. Seriously? I've never done this, how do I assign hotkeys?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Someone needs to make a confirmed bachelor "fix" mod that promises to make it the ultra-macho jock thing people for some inexplicable reason keep mistaking it for, where it actually just removes all dialogue options except for the confirmed bachelor ones.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Thing Fish posted:

Hold down a number key and select a item you want to assign it to with the Pipboy, all but 2 which switches ammo types on the fly can be used.

I roughed the entire of Fallout 3 without knowing this.

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.

Star Guarded posted:

I just started it too and I'm loving it. I laughed so hard when I recognized Dr. Venture's voice.

I loved Dead Money and thought Honest Hearts was pretty good, too, but I think I love this one most so far. The comedic tone wouldn't work without the great voice cast, but the VA is so great.

edit: After installing GRA, I think I'm going to make an energy weapons character. There's too much fun stuff to ignore that entire genre of weapons.

Dead Money was fantastic in terms of party and relation to the original game (Christine is fantastic), but in terms of mechanics... gently caress Sierra Madre chips, and gently caress their stupid barely explained toxic-gas thing.

My partner bought me Lonely Road though and I am *definitely* looking forwards to meeting Ulysses.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Thing Fish posted:

On the weapon/aid menus, Hold 1,3-8 and then pick the item to bind to said number. You can't bind anything to 2 because that's locked to toggle through available ammo

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

we are all dead men on leave
The more I think about it the more I think Dead Money would have been better if it hadn't been permanently enshrouded in that horrible fog. I thought the setting was really interesting and the story compelling, I just couldn't really enjoy either of them fully because of how muddy everything was all the time.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Synonymous posted:

Dead Money was fantastic in terms of party and relation to the original game (Christine is fantastic), but in terms of mechanics... gently caress Sierra Madre chips, and gently caress their stupid barely explained toxic-gas thing.

Yeah somehow it's a toxic gas that both preserves everything it touches and corrodes anything inside of it and for some reason doesn't have the properties of a gas because it can't come through windows or open doors.

:iiam:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

MadPierrot posted:

The more I think about it the more I think Dead Money would have been better if it hadn't been permanently enshrouded in that horrible fog. I thought the setting was really interesting and the story compelling, I just couldn't really enjoy either of them fully because of how muddy everything was all the time.

Somebody should throw up a gas masks or visors mod or something that doesn't make the fog as half bad as it damage wise or something.

I'm quite surprised there wasn't a unique gas mask for DM.

Sardikar
Sep 27, 2004
I cant think of anything to put here.

I was under the impression it was a nano-tech cloud...thing.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Sardikar posted:

I was under the impression it was a nano-tech cloud...thing.

We should stop here really, Fallout Science is a special kind of science.

Science of GIANT ROBOT SCORPIAN!

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah somehow it's a toxic gas that both preserves everything it touches and corrodes anything inside of it and for some reason doesn't have the properties of a gas because it can't come through windows or open doors.

:iiam:
I suppose we could apply similar logic to other DLCs and wonder why Ulysses wants to fight you BEFORE you take Hoover Dam, but afterwards he just gives up. Or you do. At any rate, it would make more sense to me if he kept the game going AFTER Hoover Dam, not before.

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

we are all dead men on leave
It certainly made fighting the Ghost People more suspenseful but after running around in the villa for several hours I was really hoping for a climate that wasn't "purple and dark."

Astroturf Man
Nov 2, 2006
Falsifying grassroots support since 2006!

rope kid posted:

More like Two-Step Goodbye.

Doesn't seem that good compared with the Mantis King/Fist of Rawr. The criticals are lousy and the post-death explosion is fun but seems to do more damage to me than any enemies around.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

MadPierrot posted:

It certainly made fighting the Ghost People more suspenseful but after running around in the villa for several hours I was really hoping for a climate that wasn't "purple and dark."

Also, killing Ghost People got old as there was only two types.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

SeanBeansShako posted:

Three, kinda. And speaking of which, I think there was a bug involving the exploding canisters that the one type had. Dean straight up tells you "aim for the canisters and blow them to hell" and even with 100 points into guns and standing right next to them I could not hit the canisters. I tried spraying them with bullets outside of VATS and targeting it from two feet away within VATS and nothing. Miss, miss, miss every time.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Dead Money is probably my favourite DLC next to Honest Hearts. Haven't played LR yet, but OWB was annoying as I felt it suffered from Mothership Zeta syndrome in that all the enemies were incredibly annoying to fight and huge bullet sponges.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

Three, kinda. And speaking of which, I think there was a bug involving the exploding canisters that the one type had. Dean straight up tells you "aim for the canisters and blow them to hell" and even with 100 points into guns and standing right next to them I could not hit the canisters. I tried spraying them with bullets outside of VATS and targeting it from two feet away within VATS and nothing. Miss, miss, miss every time.

Yeah, those tanks are pretty glitchy. I do love the Police Colt though, so I can go TRUE POLICE STORIES on their asses instead.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

SeanBeansShako posted:

Three, I think - the ones with the spears, the ones with the bear trap fists, and the ones with the OH GOD EXPLOSION AND NOW I'M ON FIRE

But yeah, I agree that killing the same enemies over and over got a bit old after a while. Definitely could've used some diversity there.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

DaveWoo posted:

Three, I think - the ones with the spears, the ones with the bear trap fists, and the ones with the OH GOD EXPLOSION AND NOW I'M ON FIRE

But yeah, I agree that killing the same enemies over and over got a bit old after a while. Definitely could've used some diversity there.

I would have thrown in some Ghouls and some The Master era Super Mutant hold outs, to spice things up.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Dead money would have been more fun if there weren't so many loving bear traps that blend in with the brown and purple environment all over the drat place. It makes the Light Step perk almost mandatory. :argh:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Starhawk64 posted:

Dead money would have been more fun if there weren't so many loving bear traps that blend in with the brown and purple environment all over the drat place. It makes the Light Step perk almost mandatory. :argh:

Foreshadowing Lonesome Road. :shepface:

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

SeanBeansShako posted:

I would have thrown in some Ghouls and some The Master era Super Mutant hold outs, to spice things up.

I think they were trying to create a unique atmosphere almost totally cut off from the rest of the wasteland, so Ghouls and mutants would be pretty superfluous, creating a more shallow experience overall (at least for me). They probably should of had more variation in the ghost people you encountered though, and maybe even a few more animals and the like somehow affected by the cloud.

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

Starhawk64 posted:

My favourite parts were running through the mist frantically and hearing SNAP SNAP SNAP SNAP as I went and coming out the other side with 30hp and busted up legs.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

poptart_fairy posted:

Foreshadowing Lonesome Road. :shepface:

Those satchel charges were brutal. I don't think I managed to survive a single one of them if I triggered them.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I loved that so much of the challenge of Dead Money was fighting the environment. It was a pretty nice change I think. It's not a type of gameplay I tend to favor in Fallout but it worked really well for Dead Money.
It's also interesting in how differently people play. I always creep through games quite slowly so I didn't have that much trouble with the traps and such (though I did of course run into them at times). Some people dash through like mad it seems.

As far as the Ghost People go, I liked what little backstory we get on them. But it'd be pretty nice to get some sort of sense of how they function nowadays... Is there some form of culture there? I think more could've been made of that aside from them just being enemies that you need to cripple.

Also, while it got repetetive, I think Dead Money had a good pace to its combat as well. Each time I approached Ghost People, I did so slowly and carefully, often taking care to have cover and aiming carefully.
Main problem I had is that for some goddamn reason, the companions in Dead Money would always stick their loving head out just as I was throwing a spear at an enemy and I'd end up decapitating them. Happened several times.

On the other hand, it was kinda cool to feel like Ian from Fallout 1 for a bit.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Since I already had Light Step going in, my only issue with the satchel charges was that I didn't realize they worked like mines at first. I thought they were time bombs, so I used a few on that first gang of Deathclaws and wound up blowing myself up when the satchel charges exploded on impact on the nearest Deathclaw.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

If you take Light Step you're cheating. I said it.

Dead Money was the best DLC when I think back, but I think being the first made it super awesome. I didn't like some of the gimmicks(laser ghosts, RADIOOS), but I loved the atmosphere, characters, story, and the fact it made my level 20 super monster have to start eating every Blamco Mac & Cheese for precious HP while slowing peaking around corners for scary monsters. Also, God's intro is still my favorite moment in the game.

I was really hoping for another DLC that forced you to go back to your scavenging roots.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So in my 'do everything and destabilise the gently caress out of both factions' run, with Gannon can you do his quest and then sell him to Caesar? I want to squeeze out as much content as possible this run. All the DLC, all the time in the world before Saint's Row 3. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another

Dead Man Posting posted:

Here is what I have so far. Tell me what you guys think should be changed.

The skills I can see no reason to take ever are:

Friend of the Night: It's never really too dark to see anywhere, outdoors you can wait til daytime and indoors there will usually be lights on. Also you have a light (hold tab)

Retention: Whenever you read a magazine it's usually to pass a specific skill check, and they last more than long enough for one. Magazines are pretty plentiful, too.

Rad Child: The negatives of radiation sickness outweigh the healing this will give you.

Rad Resistance: Rad-away and Rad-X are so plentiful that radiation is never really a problem the few times you're forced to go near it. Plus radiation suits exist.

Computer Whiz/ Infiltrator: Even if quickload didn't make this redundant, you can just quit out of the computer when you have 1 attempt left and reset the puzzle. Locks only break if you try to use the force option, which you should never ever do unless its a 100% chance or you don't care whats behind the lock.

Rad Absoption: See Rad resistance

Eye for Eye: You can heal crippled limbs instantly with stimpacks in normal mode, and you never want to be crippled. 50% extra damage doesn't mean much if you can't hit anything because of two broken arms and a concussion. In hardcore limbs are harder to heal, but why not just get adamantium skeleton instead?

Mile In Their Shoes: This makes Nightstalker Squeezin's give +1 PER, +5 Poison Resistance, and +5 Stealth. Given that (A)Perception is both very easy to boost (wear a hat) and not a very useful stat outside of unlocking perks,(B)Poison Resistance is made obsolete by doing OWB, which you need to even choose this perk, and (C) OWB also gives you a stealth suit, this is really hard to justify. Also stealth boys and La Fantoma exist. Also nightstalkers are pretty rare outside of Big MT. AUGH THIS PERK SUCKS

Alertness: Entirely obsoleted by ED-E

Entomologist: The only worrisome bugs are Cazadores, but if you have OWB you get a lot of perks that make them easier. If you don't have OWB and Cazadores are a pain then maybe get this.

Perks that boost your XP gain (and Here and Now) aren't really necessary if you're doing sidequests because quests shower you in XP. Maybe if you're doing a speedrun.

Every other perk has the potential to be useful, though obviously some are more useful than others depending on how you play, if you're using hardcore, etc. Now if you want the perks that are generally considered Really Good:

Comprehension: More skill points is always good, and the magazine bonus gives you a lot more options for spending points (for example, you can keep lockpicking at 80, and as long as you keep skill magazines you'll be able to open Very Hard locks after using them)

Educated: More skill points!

Shotgun Surgeon: Amazing if you intend on using shotguns at all

Hand Loader: makes ammo management a lot easier since you can just turn everything into JHP rather than choosing between AP and HP.

Piercing Strike: simply amazing for Unarmed/ Melee characters.

Sniper: You'll generally be aiming for the head in most cases, since it does more damage. Easier headshots are even better.

Silent Running: A must for Sneaky Dudes, unless you like crawling around at a snail's pace

Jury Rigging: Probably the best perk in the game. Rather than having to pay 10000 caps to repair, say, your unique power armor you can just grab a few sets of lovely metal armor and repair it to full. Repair is a pretty amazing skill in general.

Paralyzing Palm: Do you know how easy it is to beat the poo poo out of an enemy when your attacks can turn them into a defenseless heap? Pretty easy actually!

Ninja: The extra crit chance is bugged and doesn't give anywhere near 15%, but 25% sneak critical damage is still really good.

Laser Commander: Kind of like Ninja for laser weapons. Keep in mind this affects Elijah's Advanced LAER, probably making it the most powerful weapon not in the Gun Runner's pack.

Them's Good Eatin: Makes Hardcore a complete breeze. 50% to find decent food and healing items on any living enemy you kill is insane. They can be upgraded to better versions, too. Outside of hardcore the healing isn't too useful but the items still have a very good sell value.

Jesus I typed a lot of lovely words. Maybe just put a link to this in the main post instead of ruining your nice format.

Cicadalek fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Jun 10, 2012