Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Bhyo posted:

Liquid green stuff is being released this weekend.

Wtf is that?

The "When Life Gives You Lemons" answer to Finecast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
My guess is a paste that you apply with toothpaste tube technology and then file down later.

Exactly like Vallejo Plastic Putty, but at thrice the price.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Its in one of their paint pots for the same price as their paint. I literally dont understand what it is.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Bhyo posted:

Its in one of their paint pots for the same price as their paint. I literally dont understand what it is.

It's liquefied green stuff. Like gap filler?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Red Square Bear posted:

It's liquefied green stuff. Like gap filler?

Seems like it. Im not sure how its meant to solidify. If its a reaction with air you'll waste most of it the second you open the thing.

Rikthor
Sep 28, 2008
ATTENTION NC GOONS

I got this today from Gamer's Armory in Cary, NC

quote:

Do you play miniature games?

Would you like to learn how to make terrain using resin?

If so, please join us on Saturday, November 5, 2011 from 11:00 am to 2:00 pm for a FREE Resin Molding and Casting Clinic at The Gamer's Armory!

The clinic will provide a basic introduction to the process of latex mold making and resin casting.

The following topics will be covered:

- We will present the materials required for basic latex mold making
- We will demonstrate the mixing and pouring of a latex mold
- We will demonstrate the initial de-molding of master pieces from a previously cured mold.
- we will present the materials required for resin casting
- we will demonstrate the mixing, pouring, curing and de-molding of resin casts.

The clinic will be presented by Mike Tavares and should be great for anyone that enjoys building terrain or wants to learn how to. So whether your thing is Warhammer, Warmachine, Flames of War or Lord of The Rings this should be a great clinic for you!!

Please Note: This is a beginner's clinic to help you learn the basics of latex mold making and resin casting.

The clinic will be hosted by Mike Tavares!

If you are interested in joining us, please sign up at the front register in the Store or send an e-mail to crystal@gamersarmory.com.

Thought this might be a good place to post it as opposed to the actual warhams thread. Sounds kind of neat.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Bhyo posted:

That sounds almost like liquid mask. If it stinks of piss that is probably what it is.

Refind Chaos
Sep 16, 2007

King of 'tisms mountain
Think I finally figured out this miniature photo thing. Here's some non horrible muddy images with most of the figures I've painted, and all of those that I've based.

Let me know what you think. I've done 9 miniatures total so far, and think I've progressed nicely, but still have a ways to go. Thanks.

Edit:The images are cross-posted from the Battletech thread.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I think those miniatures look great. I'll have to get into basing eventually because drat.

Working on my Black Reach marines! First guy done except for perhaps cleanup.

Bubonic brown base with sunburst yellow, chaos black, blood red and devlin mud wash. The red on his chest smeared a bit because I didn't wait long enough to put a coat of sunburst yellow on. His backpack is also fully painted and washed, I just forgot to put it back on. Tell me what you think / any advice you have.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Bhyo posted:

Liquid green stuff is being released this weekend.

Wtf is that?

It's just standard gap filling putty. You can buy it in tubes from companies like Testors and Squadron.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
Librarian WIP. NEED BOOKS :argh:

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
The Empire Flagellants box has some books in it, I have a few spare if you want me to send you one.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Creepy Goat posted:

Librarian WIP. NEED BOOKS :argh:

Well that looks bad rear end. Not a fan of the exposed head (considering the guy's supposed to be near dead and all), but if you paint it like a mask, it should work.

Ularg posted:

advice

I believe the only advice I could give would be to work on your brush control, but that comes from practice of doing it over and over again. For a first model, it's actually pretty good: paints look thin enough, details have been picked out, and the marine eyes aren't covering half his head. That little circle on the left shoulderpad I assume is from a wash bubble?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Sole.Sushi posted:

I believe the only advice I could give would be to work on your brush control, but that comes from practice of doing it over and over again. For a first model, it's actually pretty good: paints look thin enough, details have been picked out, and the marine eyes aren't covering half his head. That little circle on the left shoulderpad I assume is from a wash bubble?

Yes, I painted over it again with sunburst yellow but it didn't really do anything.

Edit: Also, I do need to practice on brush control, but I notice that my Chaos black, when watered down, tends to run off of whatever I put it on. It was a pain painting skulls on my Terminator's storm shield because it'd paint everything around it too. I found this Codex Grey / Chaos Black mix that looks really good because of it, though.

Ularg fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 29, 2011

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009

Ularg posted:

Tell me what you think / any advice you have.

Pretty drat Good For a First Miniature.
It seems you've used white primer; that is a Good Decision with this colour scheme - The black-lining is especially good for a first time. Practice is pretty much what will make you better from here, remember to thin your paints and yada yada yada.

e: If you're having problems with paint getting everywhere, you're likely putting too much paint on the brush to begin with.

FROOOOOOOOG fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 29, 2011

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Sole.Sushi posted:

Well that looks bad rear end. Not a fan of the exposed head (considering the guy's supposed to be near dead and all), but if you paint it like a mask, it should work.

Let's just say in the good old days you didn't have to be dead to go in a dread.

That is a great idea and I'm going to do it with the rest of my marine army. White Panthers use contemptors instead of terminator armor. It'll be expensive, but what a spectacular Elites choice!

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.
Hey anyone have a link or know of a good store where I can pick up magnets? I'm building a Venerable Dreadnought as part of an intra-studio WH40k painting competition (mostly the other dev. team, but I think anyone can join in...) and we have a month to work on our model so I'd like to try my hand at swappable weapons.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Just finished up these guys. The first real unit I've painted in 4 years. Too bad the only models I had lying suck now :(

(this is the only angle you can't see the worst stuff from :v:)

Refind Chaos
Sep 16, 2007

King of 'tisms mountain

QuasiQuack posted:

Just finished up these guys. The first real unit I've painted in 4 years. Too bad the only models I had lying suck now :(

(this is the only angle you can't see the worst stuff from :v:)

I like it, but the flesh tones seem a bit flat.

Sivlan
Aug 29, 2006

treeboy posted:

Hey anyone have a link or know of a good store where I can pick up magnets? I'm building a Venerable Dreadnought as part of an intra-studio WH40k painting competition (mostly the other dev. team, but I think anyone can join in...) and we have a month to work on our model so I'd like to try my hand at swappable weapons.

I usually get them here: http://www.kjmagnetics.com/. Admittedly I've only ever had two occasions to order magnets online. Not really a lot of call for it in my life.

The 1/16th sized ones I used for swappable weapons on a heavy weapons Battle Sister. One on each arm socket is just barely strong enough to hold up the metal weapons, so maybe consider the 1/8th sized if you are also using metal minis. For plastic though, it should be fine.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

treeboy posted:

You shouldn't need magnets for a ven dread, unless you wanted to put an AoBR multimelta on there. Regardless, I like kjmagnetics.com for my nerdmagnets. These badboys will hold a dreadnought arm quite well, and are conveniently the same width as a 1/8" drill bit.

Edit: beaten, but you definitely want a larger/stronger magnet for a dreadnought arm.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Refind Chaos posted:

I like it, but the flesh tones seem a bit flat.

yeah, I agree. I'm gonna give them a touch up once i get off my rear end and out the door to buy some lighter flesh paint. I tried mixing elf flesh and white but it didn't turn out any good. And bronzed flesh, dwarf flesh and ogre flesh wash don't look any good on elves in my opinion.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Let's just say in the good old days you didn't have to be dead to go in a dread.

That is a great idea and I'm going to do it with the rest of my marine army. White Panthers use contemptors instead of terminator armor. It'll be expensive, but what a spectacular Elites choice!

I was talking to one of the guys who runs my local store about how they looked like giant termis, I'd love to see an HQ contemptor termi unit leading a contemptor terminator squad. It would bring a whole new meaning to 'tactical dreadnought armour'.

RE the head, it's just a placeholder at the moment til I find something better. Might cut a Sang Guard deathmask in half and add a respirator+tubes to it.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Introducing the 401st (still no idea of a planet name)

This was just a first test batch to see if I liked a tundra / cold weather scheme. Love some feedback

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Yeast posted:

This was just a first test batch to see if I liked a tundra / cold weather scheme. Love some feedback

Very nice, interesting gun color too.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Yeast posted:

These are dope. Black base rim supremacy yet again.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

Yeast posted:

Guns are dope, stand out really nicely from the bodies without looking out of place. Armour carapace colouring is really nice too.

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Yeast posted:

Awesome job with these; this guy looks like Dr. Zaius though, but really that just makes him more awesome. Sgt. Dr. Zaius.

Hmm. You should call your planet "Earth." It was earth, all along! :negative:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Yeast posted:

I agree with everyone else; they look quite good.

Make your ice planet Pluto. That's right mother-fuckers in the 40K universe Pluto is still a planet!

Alternatively, Hoth.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Thanks hams!

Now to paint an entire army like this :)

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
At first I thought they all had pokéballs on the shoulders.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Fyrbrand posted:

You shouldn't need magnets for a ven dread, unless you wanted to put an AoBR multimelta on there. Regardless, I like kjmagnetics.com for my nerdmagnets. These badboys will hold a dreadnought arm quite well, and are conveniently the same width as a 1/8" drill bit.

Edit: beaten, but you definitely want a larger/stronger magnet for a dreadnought arm.

oh look at that, i hadn't realized they were designed to be swappable. that's super cool

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Sole.Sushi posted:

Awesome job with these; this guy looks like Dr. Zaius though, but really that just makes him more awesome. Sgt. Dr. Zaius.

Hmm. You should call your planet "Earth." It was earth, all along! :negative:

Call it Erf. WELCOME TA ERF.

Refind Chaos
Sep 16, 2007

King of 'tisms mountain
I was rumaging my house and found some old D&D miniatures and began painting them, but found I didn't enjoy it. I really lost myself painting the Battletech figures I've posted, but for some reason the fantasy miniatures just didn't do it for me. Is this common amongst miniature painters?

Hope this doesn't violate your thread rules Paint Vagrant.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Sure it is. All of us find different styles and concepts engaging and interesting, and others boring and dull. I loving love painting little people, but I am actually much less interested in painting tanks and stuff. basically the bigger and less organic something gets, the harder it is for me to stay focused on it.

For instance, I burned through a Stegadon kit once I got going on it, but getting my Eldar tanks painted was a real chore. Oh, I'll do them all eventually, and even enjoy it, but its just not as engrossing.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Refind Chaos posted:

I was rumaging my house and found some old D&D miniatures and began painting them, but found I didn't enjoy it. I really lost myself painting the Battletech figures I've posted, but for some reason the fantasy miniatures just didn't do it for me. Is this common amongst miniature painters?

Generally it's a lot easier to paint something you really like visually compared to something you don't. :)

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Refind Chaos posted:

Absolutely. Some people love certain manufacturers that other people simply loathe. Sometimes it's because of interest in a period or a genre. I couldn't care less about painting post WW2 troops, but I like painting medieval miniatures. I like tank kits more than I like airplane kits. There's no logic behind that, just personal preference.

On top of that, some miniatures suit your painting style better than others. Some painters really like exaggerated "heroic" miniatures where the head is unproportionally sized to the body, simply because facial details are bigger and easier to paint. Others like Orcs because they like to paint green skin but not normal skin. Maybe you like miniatures with lots of texture, such as barbarians dressed in fur, since you can get good results with drybrushing. Sharp corners compared or organic shapes, lots of details or many flat areas, 15mm scale or 54mm scale, the list goes on and on why some miniatures might suit your style better than others.

One example: I have a 15mm Sassanid Persian army that I theoretically love. Tons and tons of cataphract cavalry, clad in heavy armour. I just simply can't get myself arsed to start painting it, it has waited primed and ready in my wardrobe for a year now. Ugh. Then a friend dropped a bunch of 6mm British Napoleonics on my table this month. I've never cared for Napoleonics in my life, but now I'm finding myself researching regiment banners and trying to differentiate all those hats they kept changing around. According to everything I know about my preferences I would be painting the Sassanids, but this hobby works in mysterious ways.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 30, 2011

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I really like painting Space Marines for some reason. I absolutely loathe painting anything Eldar, even though I really like how they look.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I go through phases. Right now I'm kind of into my marines again, but soon enough I'll go back to orks or my WM/H stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
Has anyone tried any of the miniature painting dvds/books? I like watching the tutorials and stuff on youtube and wandered if any of them were worth grabbing. I've run out of free ones.

• Locked thread