Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

limegrnxj posted:

Just wanted to rejoice that I found 10 used AIO cloth diapers for $25 today! They're in good shape too! I brought them home and diapered all the stuffed animals in the house. DIAPER ALL THE THINGS!

Imagine if we really did have to diaper all the things. Toaster incontinence sounds like a horrible affliction.

I'm glad that there isn't anything like spanx for pregnant women in this day and age. Smoothing is much more appealing than holding in.
That thing looks evil. It can't possibly be comfortable.
VVV

Gumby Orgy fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andale!Andale!
Aug 23, 2008
http://www.spanx.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2990118

Pregnancy Spanx do exist.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

On the subject of Spanx, I've been wearing a handful of camis with built-in bras throughout this pregnancy. The camis are not maternity so they're tight over my belly, but I love the way they feel like they're helping to support my bump. Plus, regular bras are just too annoying right now.

I wouldn't want to be a bridesmaid though, personally. I'm 32 weeks right now, and it really sucks to have to stand up and to stand still for long periods. I'd definitely take up the offer of having a chair at the altar. At my uncle's wedding, one of my aunt's bridesmaids was pregnant, and actually passed out during the ceremony. She was fine, but SO embarrassed to have disrupted the wedding of one of her best friends.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

A word of caution: that dress flows from the side then gathers in the middle so that the shortest part is right in the front. If the dress is long enough that could be fine -- or it could end up really short over a pregnant belly. If you look at your average maternity top or dress what makes it different from just buying a bigger size is that there is more material in the front, dipping down lower. That dress is designed in exactly the opposite way.

You've got months and months to decide on a dress, I'd wait as long as possible to see what your pregnant belly looks like before putting any money down.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

but no one can talk to a horse, of course.
Yeah, the official pregnancy Spanx look pretty awful. Once again, I promise that the Motherhood thing is comfy, and helped me look much better in the dress I wore at the wedding.

hepscat posted:

You've got months and months to decide on a dress, I'd wait as long as possible to see what your pregnant belly looks like before putting any money down.

Big 'ol WORD to this. The dress I ended up wearing was the third one I bought, and I got it around 3 weeks before the wedding. It wasn't from a bridal shop, though. It seems really hosed up and unfair that bridal shops force pregnant women to buy their dresses months in advance, when it's impossible to tell how (or IF) they'll fit by the time the wedding rolls around.

limegrnxj posted:

Just wanted to rejoice that I found 10 used AIO cloth diapers for $25 today! They're in good shape too! I brought them home and diapered all the stuffed animals in the house. DIAPER ALL THE THINGS!

Jealous! I keep looking on craigslist but haven't found anything in my area.

But check it out, I knitted a thing for a baby butt:

It's a wool diaper cover/soaker, for going over prefolds! Wool is supposed to be awesome for covers, and I have a bunch of wool yarn lying around, so what the hell. I just need to wash it in some lanolin soap so it repels water. Baby butts, hooray!

Exelsior
Aug 4, 2007
As to maternity shapewear, don't knock it til you try it. I really liked wearing them. Towards the end everything just gets so droopy and gravity seems to increase x10 so having a good bra and some shapewear just made me feel a bit lighter and more mobile.

e: You could also get a huge tube bandage and wear it on your lower belly/under the bump.

Exelsior fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Sep 29, 2011

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

Andale!Andale! posted:

http://www.spanx.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2990118

Pregnancy Spanx do exist.

God help me, I'm considering buying these. The recliner appears to have become ineffective. This is the second day in a row that I've woken up in intense pain. I just want to cry :(

Next on the list to try: chiropractic. I don't have much faith, but I'm starting to get that "nesting" feeling and I can't loving nest because it hurts to move. Something has to work!

limegrnxj
Apr 24, 2004
Marge, that is awesome! Super cute.

Chicken, I feel the same way. By the end of the day, I am in tears, everything hurts so much. And I'm still 90 days away from a due date and I can't sleep and stupid Tylenol is no help. Wish I had advice, but I only have sympathy. :(

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

limegrnxj posted:

Marge, that is awesome! Super cute.

Chicken, I feel the same way. By the end of the day, I am in tears, everything hurts so much. And I'm still 90 days away from a due date and I can't sleep and stupid Tylenol is no help. Wish I had advice, but I only have sympathy. :(

Thank you. I really hate whining about it so much but jeez it hurts.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn
How bad does your morning sickness have to be before you get diagnosed with hyperemesis gravidarium? I'm so sick all the time I can't function or successfully perform the basic functions of my job. When I went to the ER, the doctor managed to both acknowledge the amount of vomiting I was having was excessive and treat me like it was all in my head.

I have phenergan suppositories but they knock me out. They help, but the nausea doesn't go away enough for me to function at a low level again. I don't know what to do. I feel like I'm crazy.

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Gumby Orgy posted:

How bad does your morning sickness have to be before you get diagnosed with hyperemesis gravidarium? I'm so sick all the time I can't function or successfully perform the basic functions of my job. When I went to the ER, the doctor managed to both acknowledge the amount of vomiting I was having was excessive and treat me like it was all in my head.

I have phenergan suppositories but they knock me out. They help, but the nausea doesn't go away enough for me to function at a low level again. I don't know what to do. I feel like I'm crazy.
Have you asked about Zofran? It was like magic for my nausea, and had no side effects. I got the kind that dissolves under your tongue.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

Randomity posted:

Have you asked about Zofran? It was like magic for my nausea, and had no side effects. I got the kind that dissolves under your tongue.

I have not asked about it. Would they prescribe it to me if phenergan (sort of) works?

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.

Gumby Orgy posted:

I have not asked about it. Would they prescribe it to me if phenergan (sort of) works?

If what you are taking now still leaves you unable to function relatively normally, then it's not working.

There should be no problem switching to a different medication, especially if there's a possibility that it would work better for you. This is an incredibly poor analogy, but it's like antidepression meds. Some people have side effects to one medication but not to another, and sometimes people have to experiment with doses to find what works best for them. I don't see this situation as being much different.

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010
Zofran was a loving godsend for me. I was so sick that I'm certain if I hadn't taken it I would have been in the hospital a few times, it was that debilitating. My RN even referred to it as "golden pills" or "the holy grail of pills". If your current meds aren't working definitely talk to your doctor about trying something else.

Doom Catcher
Sep 11, 2001

Sometimes, I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion!
Can I just say that I have joined like every pregnant/baby website on the planet and this thread has them all beat? I cannot stand most of the forums on those websites. This thread is a godsend.

2 questions: has anyone visited a chiropractor when pregnant? I found one through my midwife who is at a general chiro practice and he is the practice's chiropractor who focuses only on pregnant women. He was her chiro, and she refers all of her patients to him who ask about it. I guess I just kinda wanna know what to expect and my midwife is on a long awaited vacation this weekend and I refuse to bug her over something not emergency related. My appointment is Monday and I'm nervous for some reason.

2) birthing classes. I am interested in Bradley. None of the Bradley classes work with my schedule at all and neither does the Brio... Waiting for the Brio instructor to get back to me on whether or not she is going to plan on the short course on sundays she was thinking of adding, but I'm not going to get my hopes way up.

If none of these classes are going to work, is buying all the books myself worth doing instead? Or what? I am feeling guilty for not being able to get out of work, but I'm not planning on going back after the baby is born so we need my paycheck right now to save. And my insurance to pay for things until Baby arrives.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
The books can't hurt. I would suggest "Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way" at the very least. You also might want to look into something like Hypnobabies. I did that (and Bradley classes) and while I had no intention of having a fully hypnotized birth, it really did help-- everyone thought it was hysterical when I would sleep or zone during contractions. I have a pretty close to silent birth. It was, well, kinda cool.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Ask me why I'm not squatting.
What about classes at a nearby hospital? The hospital I'm planning to give birth at has a lot of different classes, including one that's just for dads. I'm planning on taking some classes. I don't think they will be as informational or methodical as any of the other ways (Bradley, Brio), but everything that isn't free is too expensive right now.

Also, I'll have to be a dissenting voice for Zofran - it gave me such bad constipation that I preferred the nausea. And if I stopped eating, I didn't have to worry about throwing up! :downs: (No, I still threw up when I brushed my teeth.) But my experience is in the minority so hopefully it will work for Gumby.

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010

Tesla Insanely Coil posted:

Also, I'll have to be a dissenting voice for Zofran - it gave me such bad constipation that I preferred the nausea. And if I stopped eating, I didn't have to worry about throwing up! :downs: (No, I still threw up when I brushed my teeth.) But my experience is in the minority so hopefully it will work for Gumby.

I think the amount of fruit I was eating at the time helped to curb the constipation. When I do have to take it now, I have to make sure I drink enough juice or eat enough fruit.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

What about classes at a nearby hospital? The hospital I'm planning to give birth at has a lot of different classes, including one that's just for dads. I'm planning on taking some classes. I don't think they will be as informational or methodical as any of the other ways (Bradley, Brio), but everything that isn't free is too expensive right now.

Your hospital might be different, and it is really awesome if it is, but my hospital didn't offer any birth classes that had a focus on natural childbirth. That's at the core of Bradley and Brio.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

I am at the point of not really eating. I've lost 5 lbs already from throwing up and not being able to eat.

Idonie
Jun 5, 2011

Doom Catcher posted:

2 questions: has anyone visited a chiropractor when pregnant? I found one through my midwife who is at a general chiro practice and he is the practice's chiropractor who focuses only on pregnant women. He was her chiro, and she refers all of her patients to him who ask about it. I guess I just kinda wanna know what to expect and my midwife is on a long awaited vacation this weekend and I refuse to bug her over something not emergency related. My appointment is Monday and I'm nervous for some reason.

Yes! I went to a chiropractor when I was 36 weeks in the hopes that the work would shift things around enough that my breech baby would have room to turn. She never did turn, but it made me feel _fantastic_.

I talked to her about what I was looking for, she asked a bunch of questions about where things hurt and had me walk around her treatment area, then lie down on a padded table like a massage table. Since I was so pregnant she had various pads/pillows on it so I could lie on my stomach comfortably. She then went through her standard routine for women with breech babies (which has a specific name but I don't remember it now) -- it involved manipulating my legs a lot while I was face-down, then having me turn over onto my back and doing it all over again. Something about the way her table was set up meant that once she got into the right position she could just hit a button and the table itself moved to stretch my legs -- I can't explain this better because I was face-down relaxing and had pregnancy brain. It was odd to experience but not at all painful and at the end of it my back didn't hurt for the first time in 12 weeks.

After she did all the leg stuff she offered to look at my neck and did a couple of adjustments on it that were startling but left my neck feeling great, and then told me to come back the next week if the baby hadn't turned.

She also had available a lot of weird stuff with magnets & lasers that I found fruitbatty, but she didn't suggest it for me, so I didn't have to figure out how to politely refuse.

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.

Gumby Orgy posted:

I really, really feel your pain - I had severe nausea and I vomited every day, sometimes multiple times, all throughout the first trimester and part of the second. Everyone told me "Oh it will clear up as soon as you hit 12 weeks!". They were wrong. It DID eventually start to ease up, but it was very very slow progress, and I don't think I felt actually semi normal again until my early 20 weeks. Phenergan and Zofran did very little for me. I had some success with taking Unisom & B6, usually before bed, but obviously check with your doctor on that first. People would try to suggest things like ginger and peppermint and I would just laugh - It was so far beyond that for me.

Anyways, I'm not trying to paint a horrible picture for you although it probably sounds like it - Just know you're not alone and it WILL get better. Hopefully it will improve faster for you than it did for me, I was a rare case. My doctor really couldn't do anything else after trying all the different meds, other than to offer me a home nurse to give me IV drugs if I was unable to hold down any food at all. Thankfully I never had to resort to that.

Definitely try to get the Zofran, just tell your doc Phenergan isn't doing the trick and you need something else. Almost everyone I know found some relief with Zofran when nothing else would work.

Doom Catcher
Sep 11, 2001

Idonie posted:

Yes! I went to a chiropractor when I was 36 weeks in the hopes that the work would shift things around enough that my breech baby would have room to turn. She never did turn, but it made me feel _fantastic_.

I talked to her about what I was looking for, she asked a bunch of questions about where things hurt and had me walk around her treatment area, then lie down on a padded table like a massage table. Since I was so pregnant she had various pads/pillows on it so I could lie on my stomach comfortably. She then went through her standard routine for women with breech babies (which has a specific name but I don't remember it now) -- it involved manipulating my legs a lot while I was face-down, then having me turn over onto my back and doing it all over again. Something about the way her table was set up meant that once she got into the right position she could just hit a button and the table itself moved to stretch my legs -- I can't explain this better because I was face-down relaxing and had pregnancy brain. It was odd to experience but not at all painful and at the end of it my back didn't hurt for the first time in 12 weeks.

After she did all the leg stuff she offered to look at my neck and did a couple of adjustments on it that were startling but left my neck feeling great, and then told me to come back the next week if the baby hadn't turned.

She also had available a lot of weird stuff with magnets & lasers that I found fruitbatty, but she didn't suggest it for me, so I didn't have to figure out how to politely refuse.

Thank you! I am about to hit 23 weeks and I'm getting tons of round ligament pain, but my back and my neck are also KILLING ME. I'm sleeping with a full body pillow, and a configuration of other pillows to get as comfortable as possible but I have been a belly sleeper all of my life and I can't now... So I end up waking every hour or two in some horribly uncomfortable position. Something feels out of whack and it's making me tired on top of the lack of sleep.

I am willing to try Anything at this point and hope this helps. If it does I'm sticking with it through the pregnancy and after heh.

I'm having a homebirth barring any complications but I'm going to at least try to see if one of the hospitals offer some kind of class if the Bradley or Brio doesn't work out.

I really want to try a class to involve my fiancé, as I know he is nervous he will be useless during the birth even though I know he won't. And I know Bradley or brio will really help him with that.

starshine
Nov 26, 2007

Doom Catcher posted:

I really want to try a class to involve my fiancé, as I know he is nervous he will be useless during the birth even though I know he won't. And I know Bradley or brio will really help him with that.

I had a home birth and wanted to study Bradley without any courses nearby, so my husband and I got Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way and put aside time for "labor practice", kind of like a home class with just the two of us, one night a week or so for the second half of my pregnancy. The book has a lot of really specific details and practice exercises, so we just tried everything in the book's order. To be honest, we didn't end up using much of the actual Bradley method during labor and delivery, because I labored alone for the first couple of hours while he got the house set up for the birth and when the midwife got here I was 5-6cm dilated and ready to get in the tub. He was still a huge support, rubbing my back for the last 5 hours or so while I was in the tub, but we didn't do exactly the stuff we practiced. However, having done the preparation made us both feel more confident and prepared, which I believe helped a lot with the overall progression of the day, if that makes sense. The techniques in the book would probably be a lot more help to someone who wants to labor in bed, as opposed to a birthing pool.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
chiropractic has been very widely criticized for being ineffective, dangerous, and basically a pseudoscience. I'd rather get a massage.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1905885/?tool=pmcentrez

quote:

Conclusions Spinal manipulation, particularly when performed on the upper spine, is frequently associated with mild to moderate adverse effects. It can also result in serious complications such as vertebral artery dissection followed by stroke. Currently, the incidence of such events is not known. In the interest of patient safety we should reconsider our policy towards the routine use of spinal manipulation.

http://www.chirobase.org/01General/controversy.html

These are good guidelines if you do decide to see a chiro:

1. Have the problem evaluated by a medical doctor first. Have underlying serious illnesses ruled out before deciding that the problem is neuromusculoskeletal. Heart disease, cancer, kidney dis' ease, and other serious problems that need prompt medical care may manifest themselves as back pain and dysfunction. Don't allow an overzealous, inadequately trained chiropractor to keep you from prompt diagnosis and care. If the chiropractor recommends X-rays, have them done by a radiologist.

2. If you decide to try SMT, inform your doctor. Ask if there is any reason you should not have SMT (osteoporosis is one common contraindication). if not, ask for his or her help in locating the most skillful practitioner in the area (physiatrist, physical therapist, chiropractor, etc.). Some doctors feel that SMT hasn't been scientifically proven effective, but most are willing to go along with a patient who wishes to give it a try.

3. Remember that the main value of SMT lies in the rapidity of the relief it provides. If you have not experienced significant relief within three weeks, discontinue SMT. Do not submit to long-term care. Do not sign a contract. And do not accept the idea of preventive chiropractic care. Education about how to prevent back problems by safe lifting techniques, proper exercise, and ergogenics (analyzing and redesigning the workplace to avoid injuries) is valuable.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn
My CNM's nurse is calling me in some Zofran. She also made me feel like I was wasting her time by saying that all my symptoms are early pregnancy symptoms and "completely normal". :bang:

Am I really just insane? Why are medical professionals treating me like that?

Is this what I can expect as a pregnant lady? Are people just going to treat me like I'm crazy?

Have any of you guys experienced anything like this? What can I do to make them see this from my perspective? I'm not being treated all that great by the people that are supposed to help me.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
She might be trying to reassure you that it's not an alarming symptom bc they know how to deal with it? Some people just have absolutely terrible bedside manner and phasing.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Fire In The Disco posted:

The books can't hurt. I would suggest "Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way" at the very least. You also might want to look into something like Hypnobabies. I did that (and Bradley classes) and while I had no intention of having a fully hypnotized birth, it really did help-- everyone thought it was hysterical when I would sleep or zone during contractions. I have a pretty close to silent birth. It was, well, kinda cool.

I'm doing Hypnobabies, too. I'm a skeptic when it comes to psuedo-science, but I can honestly say that Hypnobabies is far less hokey than I was expecting at first. The zoning out during practice is awesome, and has been ideal for helping me get back to sleep after getting up to pee for the millionth time during the night. One of the tracks we listen to (my husband too) is all positive affirmations, which has turned out to be one of my favorite things when I'm having a rough day.

I liked that Bradley Way book quite a bit, too. It seems like the programs with the best reviews all have an emphasis on both practicing relaxation regularly along with giving both parents a solid understanding of what will physically be happening during the birth.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

Gumby Orgy posted:

My CNM's nurse is calling me in some Zofran. She also made me feel like I was wasting her time by saying that all my symptoms are early pregnancy symptoms and "completely normal". :bang:

Is this what I can expect as a pregnant lady? Are people just going to treat me like I'm crazy?

Have any of you guys experienced anything like this? What can I do to make them see this from my perspective? I'm not being treated all that great by the people that are supposed to help me.

I say this as the daughter of a nurse who basically grew up in and around hospitals and clinics: A LOT of doctors and nurses are lazy assholes. They seem to get even lazier and assholier when they deal with pregnant women. You are making them do their job and they resent it. (My personal hypothesis is that some of it goes back to the old "If you didn't wanna deal with being pregnant, you shouldn't have opened your legs!" attitude, and most of it is just that dealing with sick people all day grinds you down and if you're already kind of an rear end in a top hat it just exacerbates it.) You are perfectly justified in seeking help for not being able to hold down food. You may need to shop around for a different clinic--there are nice ones out there.

MoCookies posted:

I'm doing Hypnobabies, too. I'm a skeptic when it comes to psuedo-science, but I can honestly say that Hypnobabies is far less hokey than I was expecting at first. The zoning out during practice is awesome, and has been ideal for helping me get back to sleep after getting up to pee for the millionth time during the night. One of the tracks we listen to (my husband too) is all positive affirmations, which has turned out to be one of my favorite things when I'm having a rough day.

My Hypnobabies self-study course should be arriving today or tomorrow! I respond really well to guided meditation and hypnosis, so I think this will help a lot. I cannot wait to start.

Chicken McNobody fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 30, 2011

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Gumby Orgy posted:

Well, they kinda are completely normal. I was abnormal in that I didn't throw up at all and my morning sickness just consisted of a little nausea. Granted at one point early on it got to the point where it was pretty excessive where I would have no appetite and they eventually prescribed Phenergan, but yea.

You'll notice right now that you'll probably read in to every little thing mostly due to pregnancy hormones. :) And that is also completely normal. Wait until you start crying over youtube cat videos. That's fun.

starshine
Nov 26, 2007

Gumby Orgy posted:

I think you're probably hormonal and taking things too seriously and personally at this point. I had severe nausea/vomiting, lost 18 pounds in the first 12 weeks, and was on daily medication until 22 weeks. That's still "completely normal". Nurses and doctors see this kind of thing all the time, so I wouldn't get worked up over her treating it as normal. On the other hand, if you feel you aren't receiving the kind of care you want, I would suggest looking at alternative providers for your prenatal care. Hope this doesn't sound too bitchy, but my other suggestion is to step away from the internet and read a book or something - you've been posting in this thread multiple times a day and probably could use a break from analyzing all the stuff you're worried about. I was in your shoes a year ago and can tell you I benefited from some "me" time.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Gumby Orgy posted:

I've been on the receiving end of this attitude too. I've been having the worst migraines ever. Every couple of weeks I've had to stay in bed for two days at a time, unable to move my head because of the pain. Doctor just told me to 'drink plenty of water and get some rest' and was horribly condescending. I got a vague explanation of 'hormones' and zero sympathy. I understand that with certain problems there's not much they can do, but at least act like you're listening!

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

netally posted:

I've been on the receiving end of this attitude too. I've been having the worst migraines ever. Every couple of weeks I've had to stay in bed for two days at a time, unable to move my head because of the pain. Doctor just told me to 'drink plenty of water and get some rest' and was horribly condescending. I got a vague explanation of 'hormones' and zero sympathy. I understand that with certain problems there's not much they can do, but at least act like you're listening!

I don't really know what you guys are expecting. That doesn't really seem condescending to me. It seems like sound advice. If you want the doctor to prescribe something for your symptoms just ask. What exactly are you wanting in the way of sympathy? Sometimes being overly sympathetic can be considered condescending as well.

Dr. Octagon
Aug 12, 2008

Ride or Die Bitch, Esq.

Chicken McNobody posted:

I say this as the daughter of a nurse who basically grew up in and around hospitals and clinics: A LOT of doctors and nurses are lazy assholes. They seem to get even lazier and assholier when they deal with pregnant women. You are making them do their job and they resent it.

While this may be part of it, there's definitely a lot of exceptionalism that goes on with pregnant women also. Yes, a woman's pregnancy is a very unique and special experience to her, but it's also been done billions of times and for most women is uncomplicated and "normal." When you're probably the 50th pregnant lady of the day to call your practitioner and say "I'm 8 weeks pregnant and NAUSEOUS, DO SOMETHING!" I don't know how they're supposed to respond except for "it's normal, if X hasn't worked, we'll try Y." Honestly, every time I've been told by a medical professional that what I'm experiencing is completely normal, I feel relieved, not condescended to.

Doom Catcher
Sep 11, 2001

Honestly, this is my first pregnancy and in the beginning every little thing made me nervous as hell. I had lots of "normal" things going on that I questioned. I went to the ER for light bleeding early on and the on call doctor was pretty much dismissive.

Sometimes some compassionate reassurance is all it takes to make me feel better.

I am forever grateful for my midwife who certainly does hear fears of normal stuff on a daily basis and her never-ending patience actually explaining things to me and making me feel confident as I progress. She has been a godsend along with reading this thread.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Dr. Octagon posted:

While this may be part of it, there's definitely a lot of exceptionalism that goes on with pregnant women also. Yes, a woman's pregnancy is a very unique and special experience to her, but it's also been done billions of times and for most women is uncomplicated and "normal." When you're probably the 50th pregnant lady of the day to call your practitioner and say "I'm 8 weeks pregnant and NAUSEOUS, DO SOMETHING!" I don't know how they're supposed to respond except for "it's normal, if X hasn't worked, we'll try Y." Honestly, every time I've been told by a medical professional that what I'm experiencing is completely normal, I feel relieved, not condescended to.

On the opposite side of this, it was my husband that was freaking out about my nausea and heart burn during the first trimester. I kept telling him I was fine and it's normal and all that. He made me call the doctor and ask anyhow. Their response? "Congratulations! You're pregnant!"

I laughed and he chilled out after that.

Eponymous Bosch
Aug 11, 2010
I can say, as someone who has worked in women's health for a while now and currently studying to be a doctor (probably OBGYN), nurses and doctors hear this all day long. It's normal. Hell, I worked in a large Mother Infant Unit and birth is a total non-event for them. They see it thirty to forty times a day. They are mostly there for when it goes really really wrong, that's when they shine.

That said, you deserve to be heard and responded to respectfully. If you feel that you are not being heard and respected then you need to tell them and then find another provider if the problem isn't handled immediately.

But with that comes- chill the gently caress out. It's pregnancy, women have been doing it since the dawn of time, don't worry about eating sushi or things smell funny or your neighbor was mowing their lawn and omg you inhaled some gas fumes. Or my personal favorite, light bleeding. Be creative, not eating- what about smoothies or changing eating times or something else that works for you that helps. Suck on a lemon, that helps nausea.

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010
I haven't really had a problem with my doctor's office sounding condescending. The chick at the front desk is kind of awful but the actual medical staff is nice and still offer to fill my Zofran at each appointment. I'm sure they get tons of panic calls and unnecessary appointments that are really just piece of mind but that's just something you'll have to deal with. If they're being total dickholes about everything maybe find another practitioner. They may not give you outright sympathy but like Dr. Octagon said, as long as they go with x isn't working, we'll try y and they are other wise okay then I'd go with it.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Ask me why I'm not squatting.

MoCookies posted:

I liked that Bradley Way book quite a bit, too. It seems like the programs with the best reviews all have an emphasis on both practicing relaxation regularly along with giving both parents a solid understanding of what will physically be happening during the birth.

I was reading about Hypnobabies. They are different from other hypnosis courses because they teach something like hypnoanesthesia/analgesia, which is a real thing and was successfully used for major surgeries in India before chemical anesthesia was invented. There are modern examples of using it for surgery as well.

The one thing that the Hypnobabies site doesn't say which I wish they would is that some people are more susceptible to hypnosis than other people. But you don't need to be highly susceptible to hypnosis in order to be susceptible to regular suggestion, and regular suggestion can be effective at pain reduction.
http://www.apa.org/research/action/hypnosis.aspx
http://www.faqs.org/abstracts/Psychology-and-mental-health/Hypnosis-suggestion-and-placebo-in-the-reduction-of-experimental-pain.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Catcher
Sep 11, 2001

Another suggestion - if you're not getting what you need from your doctor and you can't change, look into a doula, birthcoach or just take some classes and they may be able to fill in that missing supportive link and they are usually pretty drat educated on all the little things and can ease your mind.

I cannot tell you the amount of silly things that have freaked me out. I've obsessed over my belly size, feeling the baby and other things and have gotten tons of help from my midwife's doula. She won't be my doula, but we started chatting one day after an appointment and she is my total email and text support buddy now.