Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Azure_Horizon posted:

Many, MANY authors write in a 'gardener' style. It doesn't always shoot them in the foot.

I thought his analogy was like driving somewhere on vacation. You know where you are going but you don't know what you're going to see on the way. The only thing is that most people know what roads they are going to take to get them to their destination instead of driving in first gear through the woods for 11 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fog Tripper posted:

Game?

CYVASSE?????

Are you one of those folks on Not A Blog who's comments are not removed?
Truth now.

You just have to put GOOD SER! in your posts a few time... easy as lamprey pie!

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Fog Tripper posted:

Game?

CYVASSE?????

Are you one of those folks on Not A Blog who's comments are not removed?
Truth now.

I stopped reading Not A Blog after I got sick of the endless NFL poo poo.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
Season 2 of GoT has a short teaser that just came out.

They are going with the tagline:

"The night is dark and full of terrors."

I heard the video game takes place 1000 years before the book so they didn't have to add any plot stuff.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

insider posted:

I heard the video game takes place 1000 years before the book so they didn't have to add any plot stuff.

Yeah, you got dragons flying around and poo poo. Doesn't look too great.

basx
Aug 16, 2004

Sassy old man!
Is the Rape ability unique to Dothraki or can I use it with any race?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

basx posted:

Is the Rape ability unique to Dothraki or can I use it with any race?

Its Gurm, everyone starts with Rape; Dothraki just get a racial bonus.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

insider posted:

Yeah, I saw that on N.A.B. too. Do the folks who pick taglines actually know what is in ASOS, or are they just handed a list of neat one-liners gurm compiled written on a used pizza box, and they pick one that sounds good.

Guy: Oooooh. "The night is dark and full of terrors."
Other guy: "does that represent the second book?"
Guy: "does it need to?"

In any event, I can only recall "The night is dark and full of terrors." said once in passing, by Thoros when praying. I think they should have gone with "You are cordially invited to a wedding!"

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
It almost sounds like they're going to bump up the Others' invasion of the Fist of the First Men to the end of season 2 to provide a sufficient "oh poo poo" event in the North to complement the Blackwater in the south. I'm not sure Jon betraying the Watch will be enough of a major event, though who knows.

It would fit with the tagline they've chosen too, to have the season build up to actually showing us those terrors in the night.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Ambiguatron posted:

The ideal time for the time skip would have been before any of the events of A Feast For Crows, or rather, as mentioned above, to stretch those events out through several years of story time and cut out some of the material actually described. One grinding chapter of Dany's floppy ears plus a mention of several years of this poo poo, Arya spending a year blind, a year as one person, etc., Jon growing to maturity rebuilding the wall and dealing with the wildings, etc. It's impossible to do it now, because unless Jon is dead and Dany is going to get raped to death by the khalasar and her dragon run off somewhere, they can't stay in those positions for five years and the narrative won't support a five year gap between the resolution of those events and the climax of the story.

As I said, he's become frustrated because he failed to plan out the time frame when he started, made several characters too young, and his output has slowed because he gets frustrated trying to fix it. There will be no next book.

I think the harpy being the old lady is a setup for tyrion or dany figuring out grandma tyrell is in charge.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
No, I remember 'the night is dark and full of terrors' being used quite a lot. It's like the red priest catchphrase or some poo poo. Sounds cool though.

HarveyVdarski
Aug 19, 2011

by Pipski

geeves posted:

I thought that was in result to the aftermath of the war and perhaps more specifically the Red Wedding when all loyalties were up in the air everyone was scrambling for the best crumbs off of the table.

No, the person was specifically saying that it was retarded to say you were physically an ANIMAL, just because you were allied with the starks. He was LITERALLY pointing out the tendency for people to call themselves animals because of alliances. Puh-geeze. @_@

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.
IIRC there was also a healthy element of "Lion or Wolf, they are both just raving thugs who will rape my wife, steal my food, and probably leave me for dead."

You stop needing to differentiate when it turns out that all the heavily armed men you see marching around are bad news.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Jakabite posted:

No, I remember 'the night is dark and full of terrors' being used quite a lot. It's like the red priest catchphrase or some poo poo. Sounds cool though.

OK, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. But can you honestly say that after having read ASoS, that is a meaningful/relevant catch phrase?

I mean yeah, it was so cool that it is used about a thousand times (I just made that number up) in ADwD.

Lenin Stimpy
Sep 9, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"The night is dark and full of turnips" - best line in ADWD

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Fog Tripper posted:

Do the folks who pick taglines actually know what is in ASOS

Fog Tripper posted:

OK, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. But can you honestly say that after having read ASoS

quote:

I can only recall "The night is dark and full of terrors." said once in passing

Season 2 is about ACoK, not ASoS. "The night is dark and full of terrors" is Melisandre's catchphrase (as much as any other Red Priest's), gets adopted by her followers, and is in particular the climax of the god-burning scene.

Dial down the smug, you are in no position to use it without making a fool of yourself.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Fog Tripper posted:

Yeah, I saw that on N.A.B. too. Do the folks who pick taglines actually know what is in ASOS, or are they just handed a list of neat one-liners gurm compiled written on a used pizza box, and they pick one that sounds good.

Guy: Oooooh. "The night is dark and full of terrors."
Other guy: "does that represent the second book?"
Guy: "does it need to?"

In any event, I can only recall "The night is dark and full of terrors." said once in passing, by Thoros when praying. I think they should have gone with "You are cordially invited to a wedding!"

Duder I think Season 2 is about ACoK and not ASoS, unless I missed some news of a merging of some sort.

ghost edit: beaten above

I'm hopeful for Season 3 to end immediately following the RW and then the series cancelled.

Ross fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Sep 29, 2011

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Ross posted:

I'm hopeful for Season 3 to end immediately following the RW and then the series cancelled.

That would be amazing. The bad thread could then exist in two places. Pissed off TV show watchers and pissed off book readers.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I'm slightly optimistic that AFFC can actually be interesting on screen. I think I'd much rather enjoy watching Brienne walk around Westeros instead of reading about it. Not to mention the awesome Dorne chapters and Cersei's descent into insanity.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Fog Tripper posted:

OK, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. But can you honestly say that after having read ASoS, that is a meaningful/relevant catch phrase?

I mean yeah, it was so cool that it is used about a thousand times (I just made that number up) in ADwD.

Eh, it stuck in my head and it sounds cool. Decent enough for a trailer, certainly.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

VaultAggie posted:

I'm slightly optimistic that AFFC can actually be interesting on screen. I think I'd much rather enjoy watching Brienne walk around Westeros instead of reading about it. Not to mention the awesome Dorne chapters and Cersei's descent into insanity.

Brienne's adventures themselves will never be interesting because there's no tension. The interesting bit is all of what's going on around her / in the background, which gives you a nice glimpse of what the war did to Westeros. I imagine this will probably come off better on-screen, though, so you have a point there. But Brienne herself...man, people watching the show are, just like those who've read the books, going to be sitting there going, "Dude, Sansa is in the loving Eyrie what are you doing?"

Mucktron
Dec 21, 2005

"But I've been twelve for a very long time"
I liked Brienne's plot line in AFFC. Because like everyone has said, it's good to see the little people of Westeros and how the war has hosed them up so much.

But I also enjoyed looking into Brienne's head and learning that every dude she's ever interacted with treated her like crap because she was so fugly. :smith:

The only relatively nice guy in her life was her swords instructor who was like "Guys will get sloppy when they fight you 'cause you're a girl, so use that to your advantage."

But yeah, her looking for Sansa when we damned well knew where Sansa was felt like a waste of time.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Ross posted:

Duder I think Season 2 is about ACoK and not ASoS, unless I missed some news of a merging of some sort.

ghost edit: beaten above

Yup, disgust got the better of me and I jumped ahead.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Mucktron posted:

But I also enjoyed looking into Brienne's head and learning that every dude she's ever interacted with treated her like crap because she was so fugly. :smith:
Which is unfortunate, because these glimpses were indeed interesting, but being flashbacks will likely - if they're visited at all - be covered by having Brienne drone on about her experiences with being ugly to the background of a hot lesbian orgy.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
They could also move the revelation of Sansa's whereabouts to AFTER Brienne's Adventures, so that there is actual tension. There's no reason to reveal that Peter spirited her away, they could have her escaping with Ser Dontos and getting onto that boat with Brune, but having Brune be menacingly silent on who he is working for, and have a cliffhanger where she is paddled softly away into the blackness. I don't think anything immediately important to the plot happens with her storyline, so leaving her whereabouts as a mystery until much later could work.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

VaultAggie posted:

Both AFFC and ADWD, for as flawed as they are, are going to make for some FANTASTIC HBO drama. In fact, all of the elements are in place for two awesome seasons (or maybe one condensed one, or one-and-a-half).

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
If the TV series ended with SOS I would be perfectly fine with that. AFFC and ADWD would be neat too, but it's just SOS I really want to see.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Darth Windu posted:

They could also move the revelation of Sansa's whereabouts to AFTER Brienne's Adventures, so that there is actual tension. There's no reason to reveal that Peter spirited her away, they could have her escaping with Ser Dontos and getting onto that boat with Brune, but having Brune be menacingly silent on who he is working for, and have a cliffhanger where she is paddled softly away into the blackness. I don't think anything immediately important to the plot happens with her storyline, so leaving her whereabouts as a mystery until much later could work.

There still wouldn't be tension, we know who she escaped with, how, why, and where they were going.

Anyway Brienne's endless wanderings can be done in a single episode to highlight all the literal and figurative rape the common people are enduring without really taking anything away from her story. I guess shove the incredibly obvious non-cliffhanging in the finale because gently caress knows nothing else happens in AFFC. They really need to merge AFFC and ADWD if they want anything halfway compelling to come of them. Even then, I don't see how that season would be any less treading water and blueballing than the books were since Gurm didn't really progress anything by the end of them.

Any hope for the show being good after ASOS (whether they split it or whatever) is if Gurm writes another book (ahahahahahahahahahahahaha) or the HBO writers decide to forge ahead on their own and resolve some of the poo poo left hanging at the end of AFFC/ADWD's timeline.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

IRQ posted:

There still wouldn't be tension, we know who she escaped with, how, why, and where they were going.

How would we know that if the television show didn't reveal it? We'd know she escaped, but not with who or why, or where they were headed. I mean, if you're saying WE will know, as in people who read the book, well no poo poo. We know everything that happens in the books. What I suggested was to create suspense for the unspoiled viewer, to give Brienne's adventures more tension and weight. Duh.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Seeing what the smallfolk go through really wasn't that important to me and I don't feel like that is a good excuse to have Brienne wandering around anticlimactically. You'd think an author could come up with something that achieved that thematic goal while still having tension. Arya's chapters in the Riverlands did it.

Despite whether Brienne is an interesting character or not (I think she is), and despite the noted themes of her chapters, having a good portion of the book be completely devoid of tension and worthless to the plot until the end is terrible, terrible storytelling and it should noy be defended.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

bigmcgaffney posted:

Seeing what the smallfolk go through really wasn't that important to me and I don't feel like that is a good excuse to have Brienne wandering around anticlimactically. You'd think an author could come up with something that achieved that thematic goal while still having tension. Arya's chapters in the Riverlands did it.

Despite whether Brienne is an interesting character or not (I think she is), and despite the noted themes of her chapters, having a good portion of the book be completely devoid of tension and worthless to the plot until the end is terrible, terrible storytelling and it should noy be defended.

Yeah, it really shouldn't, it was an awful slog the first time through. I really enjoyed the book the second time, but as far as storytelling goes, it is completely indefensible.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I don't remember which book it was from, but I do hope that HBO shows what happens when you're a kid and you say, "I can't walk. You'll have to carry me."

That was one little bit that stuck with me and still does. Kinda like the awful poo poo that goes down everytime we revist that inn, the one where Cat ran across Tyrion.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Darth Windu posted:

How would we know that if the television show didn't reveal it? We'd know she escaped, but not with who or why, or where they were headed. I mean, if you're saying WE will know, as in people who read the book, well no poo poo.

Don't be a dick unless we can really make this the bad thread again, you know what I meant. Just in case it somehow isn't clear: You're basically talking about taking out about half of ASOS that had anything to do with Sansa/Littlefinger and postponing it for 1-2 entire seasons. That's loving retarded, not to mention it really jacks around with the timeline. Just so Brienne has slightly more of a point?

Lagomorph Legion
Jul 26, 2007

Fog Tripper posted:

I am also beginning to suspect that the books are actually being written by WILDCARDS! authors, one for each POV, none knowing what the others are writing in relation to their character, and the completed book is being edited by gurm prior to handing over to the real editors.
Hey, it's a theory.

This is my favorite theory. For reals.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

MeerkatHero posted:

This is my favorite theory. For reals.

I had originally written more from the JonCon POV but the homophobic editors cut most of it out.

In the show I have to assume Brienne's plot with get distilled to its essence and will be the better for it. I have not reread AFFC but I can see how it would be better in that situation. Unfortunately with all the diverse locales in the latter two books the budget will be massive. gently caress Meereen.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

IRQ posted:

Don't be a dick unless we can really make this the bad thread again, you know what I meant. Just in case it somehow isn't clear: You're basically talking about taking out about half of ASOS that had anything to do with Sansa/Littlefinger and postponing it for 1-2 entire seasons. That's loving retarded, not to mention it really jacks around with the timeline. Just so Brienne has slightly more of a point?

Whoops, I completely forgot how early that part of the story happened. Sorry. For some reason I thought it was part of AFFC.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Yeah, Season 3mkII is gonna end on the "Only Cat" scene. at which point Brienne might have, maybe started her search.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Mucktron posted:

I liked Brienne's plot line in AFFC. Because like everyone has said, it's good to see the little people of Westeros and how the war has hosed them up so much.

The only relatively nice guy in her life was her swords instructor who was like "Guys will get sloppy when they fight you 'cause you're a girl, so use that to your advantage."

But yeah, her looking for Sansa when we damned well knew where Sansa was felt like a waste of time.

The Brienne chapters really threw me off, because for so long the books were about high-level politics, royalty, and intrigue. Then all of a sudden we're supposed to give a gently caress about the peasants? They were barely mentioned in the first three books and suddenly they're the focus of an entire POV that (as you said) is completely useless because we know she's going to fail. If Martin was a better writer, he could have worked in some O Henry-style dramatic irony (like, I dunno, having Sansa leave the Vale and try to find her mother, and inadvertently tracing Brienne's path. "Oh, a maid of three and ten with auburn hair? Some fugly hag was looking for you, she went thataway".) But as it is we're stuck with something that feels like some kind of political message, but is too vague and incohate to actually make any sense, and is completely alien to the style, tone, and themes of the rest of the series.

I've re-read the first three books several times. If I ever go back and re-read the series, I'll probably skip about two-thirds of AFFC and ADWD. I knew things had gotten bad when I found myself dreading the Tyrion chapters... "A Tyrion chapter! I wonder what kind of dumb bullshit he'll fail to talk his way out of this time?" :downs:

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Simon Draskovic posted:

The Brienne chapters really threw me off, because for so long the books were about high-level politics, royalty, and intrigue. Then all of a sudden we're supposed to give a gently caress about the peasants?

OK, I am on the oposite end of appreciation for this aspect. Gurm showing how everything effects the common folk puts well into perspective, the loving whiney-assed abloobloobloo that folks like Dany, Sansa, Cat, etcetera display.

Also, it helped to show that (beyond kissing up to them when in their presence) the average peasant could not give a flying gently caress who was their king, as long as they were left alone.

Agreed
VVVVV

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Sep 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

Fog Tripper posted:

OK, I am on the oposite end of appreciation for this aspect. Gurm showing how everything effects the common folk puts well into perspective, the loving whiney-assed abloobloobloo that folks like Dany, Sansa, Cat, etcetera display.

Also, it helped to show that (beyond kissing up to them when in their presence) the average peasant could not give a flying gently caress who was their king, as long as they were left alone.

I'm in this boat as well, I just think the Sansa search element of them was handled very poorly. If the reader didn't know that her search was futile, there would have been a lot more weight to it.