Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
If you guys want to burn some time before Dark Souls hits you can try out the BF3 beta as it was released today!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

Be gone with you! You'll spoil my focus.

ErIog posted:

Hey, yeah, no you're completely wrong. I thought my previous posts in this and the last thread would have made it clear, but I've already rang the first bell. So literally the only new areas I have to go to are the ones you're saying are the wrong way, that can't be the wrong way because there's nowhere else to go.

I'mma spoil the hell outta you.Stop going into the town, use that shortcut you opened up from the dragon valley to walk across into the Ill village. From there you'll take a few sets of ladders down, you'll come across an elevator/belt bit, hop on, and ride it down (the one with the platforms so you don't just fall to death). Once down put your back to that wall. There? Good, cut left. Keep going a small ways and you'll notice a sewer-like tunnel, go in. Bonfire there. In this entire area, mind the poison, and deadly poison.If you were to go the other way when you got down from the elevator you'd hit Kuelag. Fair warning, she's a bitch if you've no backup.

Edit: Oh, and, Watch out for the necromancers in the boneyard, no bell down there, but it leads to the giant graveyard. Necros usually hide a bit further in than the skeletons they revive. Do suicide runs to find and kill them. Fastest way I found to get them if you don't have a human body.

Smelly posted:

All this Scraping Spear talk has made me realise.

I've gone through 2 NG+ and a NG++, the 2 NG+ I beat entirely in human form online.

Of all the times I've been invaded, I have NEVER encountered anyone using clouds or the Scraping Spear.

Guess I'm just lucky v:shobon:v

Cause they aren't as game breaking effective as you've been lead to believe. There are better ways to troll/kill someone :3

Talran fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Sep 29, 2011

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
I just find it funny that we had almost a full page of complaining about it like it's a huge epidemic.

I plat the drat game and never encountered it. It's just weird.

I stopped leveling at 120 as well.

Bleep
Feb 7, 2004

Giant Bomb uploaded an 85 minute quick look if anyone wants to see more gameplay.

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-dark-souls/17-4966/

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Talran posted:

I'mma spoil the hell outta you.Stop going into the town, use that shortcut you opened up from the dragon valley to walk across into the Ill village. From there you'll take a few sets of ladders down, you'll come across an elevator/belt bit, hop on, and ride it down (the one with the platforms so you don't just fall to death). Once down put your back to that wall. There? Good, cut left. Keep going a small ways and you'll notice a sewer-like tunnel, go in. Bonfire there. In this entire area, mind the poison, and deadly poison.If you were to go the other way when you got down from the elevator you'd hit Kuelag. Fair warning, she's a bitch if you've no backup.

Cause they aren't as game breaking effective as you've been lead to believe. There are better ways to troll/kill someone :3

I don't understand what you mean by dragon valley and ill village. There's nothing resembling a valley in this game so far. I need more description than that. I'm playing the Japanese version. The Japanese wikis are not very helpful in this regard.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Sep 29, 2011

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

ErIog posted:

I don't understand what you mean by dragon valley and ill village. I need more description than that. I'm playing the Japanese version. The Japanese wikis are not very helpful in this regard.

I am too, I just used approximate translation of the areas, so I'm not spewing moonrunes at you guys. :3:
Ah, I believe (don't shoot me if I type em wrong, or choose a bad kanji)飛竜の谷(Flying Dragon Valley) and 病む村(Ill village), if you unlocked the shortcut to dragon valley, it's to the right after you go down the elevator and staircase to 小ロンドイセキ. If you unlocked that shortcut that is. Otherwise..... You'd have to go to Dark Forest「黒い森の庭」, and Take that hidden-ish path you find when backtracking a little bit in before the sealed door to Forest Valley 「狭間の森」. Down there you'll find a non respawning black knight. just around him is a cave, it's got a bonfire, and leads to Flying Dragon Valley. Blitz through FDV, left at the intersection, and around the cliff. There's a shortcut to Small Rond Ruin 小ロンド遺跡 after you get a key from a bit inside Ill Village.

Edit: sorry, I'm not at home, and most of these are me trying frantically to remember stuff exactly as they were in game, I can hop on an IRC channel later if need be to help.

Talran fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Sep 29, 2011

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Talran posted:

I am too, I just used approximate translation of the areas, so I'm not spewing moonrunes at you guys. :3:
Ah, I believe (don't shoot me if I type em wrong, or choose a bad kanji)飛竜の谷(Flying Dragon Valley) and 病む村(Ill village), if you unlocked the shortcut to dragon valley, it's to the right after you go down the elevator and staircase to 小ロンドイセキ. If you unlocked that shortcut that is. Otherwise..... You'd have to go to Dark Forest「黒い森の庭」, and Take that hidden-ish path you find when backtracking a little bit in before the sealed door to Forest Valley 「狭間の森」. Down there you'll find a non respawning black knight. just around him is a cave, it's got a bonfire, and leads to Flying Dragon Valley. Blitz through FDV, left at the intersection, and around the cliff. There's a shortcut to Small Rond Ruin 小ロンド遺跡 after you get a key from a bit inside Ill Village.

Edit: sorry, I'm not at home, and most of these are me trying frantically to remember stuff exactly as they were in game, I can hop on an IRC channel later if need be to help.

That's a lot clearer. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. The ill village now that you've posted it in moonrunes sounds like a thing I was trying to get to based on the stuff I was reading on the Japanese wiki's. I feel like such a failure for not being able to figure this poo poo out. I've explored so much of the rest of the world.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008

bleep posted:

Giant Bomb uploaded an 85 minute quick look if anyone wants to see more gameplay.

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-dark-souls/17-4966/

Damnit, I was trying to hold off on any more media exposure, but I can never pass up a GB quick look.

Question I haven't seen asked so far - does gender play a big role in how your character develops? The only thing I've seen is that certain armour sets are male or female only, is that the only difference? Also, do the gender specific armours tend to cater to different play styles? For instance, more light/magic armour for females, more heavy stuff for males, or something along those lines. Only asking because Monster Hunter did something similar and I recall that female characters had more light armour, but maybe I'm misremembering.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
I thought they were making ALL the armor Unisex this time :confused:

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Can you parry(as opposed to blocking)while two-handing?

Talran
Sep 11, 2005

ErIog posted:

That's a lot clearer. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. The ill village now that you've posted it in moonrunes sounds like a thing I was trying to get to based on the stuff I was reading on the Japanese wiki's. I feel like such a failure for not being able to figure this poo poo out. I've explored so much of the rest of the world.

No problem at all mate, I actually only went down FDV(Catchy!) on a whim cause I -really- didn't want to do小ろんど with curse/short curse or the Sewer with the Hungry Dragon「貪食ドラゴン」 again! x3

Metrohunter posted:

You have no idea how hard I laughed at this

You weren't the only one. :iamafag:

Talran fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 29, 2011

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.

Darth Windu posted:

after I grumbled to him about fighting with honor

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Metrohunter posted:

I never understood that mindset, it made playing Jedi Academy very boring. :(

"YOU HAVE TO BOW FIRST"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
There's an element of roleplaying with some people, it's not that hard to understand. I tend to play along if they initiate it but don't bother otherwise.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
I've had people send me angry messages because they took the time out to bow, I saw an opening to one shot them.

I'm all for roleplay, and even do it to an extent in the game (using only certain armors, weapons) but, online, make sure the other guy is doing it too before leaving yourself open. :v:

Edit: VVV DFA caused so much rage, it was great. VVV

Draven fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 29, 2011

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Smelly posted:

"YOU HAVE TO BOW FIRST"

Letting them bow first is a great excuse to switch to Power Stance, and use the leaping slash on them. Oh the pubby tears I drank.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Smelly posted:

"YOU HAVE TO BOW FIRST"

Haha, I loved this because I would bow at first, to lull them into a false sense of security. Then next time I would just bust out a full kata. Dark side :c00l:

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.

Edoraz posted:

Letting them bow first is a great excuse to switch to Power Stance, and use the leaping slash on them. Oh the pubby tears I drank.

No no, the best is going palpatine on their rear end.

When they are doing the LIGHTSABER OFF AND BOW DUELS OMG, you entertain them.

Your lightsaber is off, they bow.

Then you unleash your maxed out force lightning all over their face.
Little known fact- If you have no weapons out (aka lightsaber equiped but turned off) and max level force lightning, you did the cool 2 handed lightning from return of the jedi and it would kill people in about 1-2 seconds.

Bonus points if you roleplayed

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Haha, you bastards. I never saw the bowing thing as an attempt to roleplay, it's just the easiest way of communicating "I'm ready" to the other guy.

Where's the satisfaction in killing someone with a cheapshot? Pffft!

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
God, I hope there's more spells to enchant your weapon with in this one. What was it in Demon's Souls? Light Weapon, or something? I don't know how mechanically effective that spell was, but there was nothing more fun that carving my way through a room of dudes with my Royal character after enchanting my longsword I'd pilfered.

Something about the animation of it, I think.

Also, the best thing about online Jedi Knight games was in Academy where hey had that mode to pit one super-charged character against two lesser ones. So much fun watching people bow when in that mode and just frying them with lightning or hurling them away with push.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

Leyburn posted:

Haha, you bastards. I never saw the bowing thing as an attempt to roleplay, it's just the easiest way of communicating "I'm ready" to the other guy.

Where's the satisfaction in killing someone with a cheapshot? Pffft!

The satisfaction on par with why you don't bow to Flamelurker.

He doesn't care about your honor, he's here to kill you, and he WILL do that if presented with the opportunity.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Yeah, but the Flamelurker's my bitch and I don't need cheapshots to take him out either.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Whenever I pvped in Demon's Souls I would always wait somewhere in ambush and attack them before they had a chance to bow. I didn't realize that was something people did.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
The Giantbomb quick look doesn't spoil anything big, just a couple of the very early mini bosses.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Depths posted:

The Giantbomb quick look doesn't spoil anything big, just a couple of the very early mini bosses.

It does spoil one surprise but anyone who played Demon's Souls should know better :colbert:

Dragon bridge

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
In Demon's Souls my favorite tactic was to try to get ahead of the player and lay in wait with other enemies. Then attack when they're dealing with them or just after when they're still recovering or think that "oh all the enemies are gone now".

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

sighnoceros posted:

In Demon's Souls my favorite tactic was to try to get ahead of the player and lay in wait with other enemies. Then attack when they're dealing with them or just after when they're still recovering or think that "oh all the enemies are gone now".

I need to hide in the shortcut in 2-2 and wait for someone to drop, then push their rear end off the platform.

PirateNipple
Apr 5, 2004

I think I'm totally going to play this, that quick look sold me on it. I never played the first game, whats a recommended starter class? That shield + spear + bow combo they were using on the 2nd character they showed seemed pretty handy.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

PirateNipple posted:

I think I'm totally going to play this, that quick look sold me on it. I never played the first game, whats a recommended starter class?

That was a Wanderer that Matt was playing second, but classes are more 'what do you want to start out as playing for the first few hours to familiarize yourself' than 'what do you want to be for the whole game'.

It really, really depends on what kind of character you want to make. Want a Bow? Go Hunter. Want a shield and weapon and heavy armour? Go Knight. Want magic? Go Sorcerer.

But you're never, ever locked into a path. It's criminally easy to change up what your character uses in these games.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008

Smelly posted:

I thought they were making ALL the armor Unisex this time :confused:

I might need to double check, but I was sure they found a female-only armour set in one of those gamescom videos, the ones in the huge prison complex with the lizard men.

Edit: Hmm, here's what I was talking about, from this video. http://i.imgur.com/STQjS.png (edited img tags out in case of :siren:spoilers:siren:, it's just a shot of the character picking up an armour set though)

Then again I'm just assuming based on the name of the set, but there's every chance male characters can wear it too. :v:

Henry Fungletrumpet fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 29, 2011

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Dan Didio posted:

That was a Wanderer that Matt was playing second, but classes are more 'what do you want to start out as playing for the first few hours to familiarize yourself' than 'what do you want to be for the whole game'.

It really, really depends on what kind of character you want to make. Want a Bow? Go Hunter. Want a shield and weapon and heavy armour? Go Knight. Want magic? Go Sorcerer.

But you're never, ever locked into a path. It's criminally easy to change up what your character uses in these games.

this is very true but I will add that, at least in Demon's Souls, it was somewat easier to have your magic user become a fighter than vice-versa. The temple knight was both but it doesn't look like Dark Souls has an equivalent.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Henry Fungletrumpet posted:

Then again I'm just assuming based on the name of the set, but there's every chance male characters can wear it too. :v:

That armor can be equipped by men too, I watched a stream with a male character who used it when loving around.
Armor is all unisex this time around!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Darth Windu posted:

The spear is hard to avoid due to how fast it attacks. It doesn't do any damage, but if it hits you enough, you can't do any damage back either. And they can just switch to another weapon. The cloud I've only seen used once by a guy who would utilize the lag to backstab me and then cast it while I was on the ground. Very irritating. He sent me a message after I grumbled to him about fighting with honor that said "u mad?" so I assume he was from here.

Haha. I missed this when you posted it, but the guy that was pissing me off with the scraping spear last night sent me a message that said "U mad" when I talked some poo poo to him, and my first thought was "this guy is from SA". He ended up invading me like 3 times and we sent a string of poo poo talking messages to each other. Then he blued me, died in 3 minutes and invaded me again. I added him to my friends list. It was a drunken :downs: night for Demon's last night. I think my world 1 is mostly black now. King Allant should be fun.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008

KezzKezzan posted:

That armor can be equipped by men too, I watched a stream with a male character who used it when loving around.

Haha, awesome. Thanks for clearing that up. :)

Rakanakle
Mar 17, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

Haha. I missed this when you posted it, but the guy that was pissing me off with the scraping spear last night sent me a message that said "U mad" when I talked some poo poo to him, and my first thought was "this guy is from SA".

My fourteen year old sister texted "U mad" to me the other day. It's a pretty common internet meme these days.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

KezzKezzan posted:

The design changes somewhat depending on which gender equips it, but so far not very much it seems.

Really, since my character looks like raw hamburger most of the time anyway, the only thing that really identifies her as female is that she runs in a slightly girly way.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Everyone who is playing the game right now. gently caress you.

And in advance for Tuesday, all Americans, gently caress you too!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Leyburn posted:

Everyone who is playing the game right now. gently caress you.

And in advance for Tuesday, all Americans, gently caress you too!

We kicked the Brits out so we could get Dark Souls early. This is it. The culmination of the American Experiment.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Yeah, I like to send dumb messages about video game honor to people when they beat me, just to see what sort of messages I get in return. I don't bow or anything like that. That's dumb. My favorite thing is to ambush people with groups of other enemies. For some reason, the other night when I was invading people, none of them had opened up the fog door on 4-1, so I was forced to fight them normally. It was disappointing.

For people who have the game, how does invading work with the new open world? Do fog doors appear like in Demon's Souls, cutting off other levels? Or can you run anywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Darth Windu posted:

For people who have the game, how does invading work with the new open world? Do fog doors appear like in Demon's Souls, cutting off other levels? Or can you run anywhere?
Yeah, fog doors, just like usual. Also sitting down at a bonfire is basically like returning to the nexus, it instantly resets everything. What's funny though is that if you walk into a bonfire room with an enemy chasing you, it will stop chasing you and slooowly back out of the room.

• Locked thread