Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
This is why the kits from Dragon and such with turned aluminum barrels are so superior. I can't believe they would even make something like that in two pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
If Dragon ever sorted out their instruction problems then their Premium Kits would be best on the market.

I generally either buy Tamiya and then upgrade with photo etched parts and turned barrels or go the Dragon route as you say.

warcake
Apr 10, 2010

big_g posted:

If Dragon ever sorted out their instruction problems then their Premium Kits would be best on the market.

I generally either buy Tamiya and then upgrade with photo etched parts and turned barrels or go the Dragon route as you say.

I kind of only bought tamiya because its the only brand i recognise from their rc cars and stuff. what other brands are good and not too overly complicated for someone who has only made a few models?

kaosAG
Oct 14, 2005

warcake posted:

I kind of only bought tamiya because its the only brand i recognise from their rc cars and stuff. what other brands are good and not too overly complicated for someone who has only made a few models?

I wasn't impressed with the tamiya Tiger I did a few years ago. 'Course, that led to the discovery that I really don't like building tanks all that much, too.

Just finished a couple of 1/48 planes, Hasegawa's type 52 zero 'tsukuba flying group', and a Hobby Boss F4F4 Wildcat. The wildcat was really well-detailed (I was really impressed with the nice, deep panel lines, and the five million little rivet divots) and went together without too much fuss. Only problem was the landing gear, but I think that'd be fiddly on any wildcat model. The hasegawa zero was beautiful. No gaps at all to fill, and everything fit together beautifully. Panel lines were easy to accidentally erase with sanding if care wasn't taken, but otherwise I was really, really impressed. Of course, my prior experience with airplane models was all revell-monogram stuff, so I guess that's no surprise. I'd heartily recommend either kit to anyone interested in one of those two planes.

Currently working on a minicraft P-38J, and that's a whole different experience. It's not a *bad* kit, but there's a lot of filling to be done and plenty of fitment issues, which is frustrating after working with two really nice kits. Other than being a pain in the rear end to put together, it's a nice looking plane, so maybe I just got a bad kit, or the mold's ancient or something.

warcake - for scratches, paint a black blotch in the desired shape of your scratch, then fill it in with your chosen metallic, leaving just a tiny bit of black around the edge. For soot, at least with acrylics, I thin my paint way, way down, with a 2:1 brown:black mix, probably 10:1 water:paint. Then, slowly build up your soot by stippling it on, so you get a nice fade effect. Takes a while, but looks really nice when you get it done. Rust, I just drybrush on, usually with delta ceramcoat acrylic colors "red iron oxide" and "brown iron oxide" (put the brown down first, then lightly add the red for a highlight). If you want a built-up about to fall apart rusting look, glue a bit of railroad flocking on prior to drybrushing to give it some texture (this also works for making things muddy).

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

warcake posted:

Tamiya is an awesome make don't worry about that, probably the majority of mine are Tamiya to be fair.

Two kits that are known as good for starters are:

1. Tamiya 1/35 Cromwell Mk.IV Cruiser Tank Mk.III,A27M

2. Tamiya 1/35 German Tiger I Early Production

These aren't dumbed down at all and give excellent finished results but are a little easier on the assembly side. I've done both myself when I was starting out at 1/35 (In fact the Tiger was the first ever.)

Also for weathering you need to buy some MIG pigments...end of, drybrushing alone does not cut it.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
Tamiya is hit or miss in my experience. Their newer kits are generally very good but some of the older ones that haven't been updated are honestly crap. Then again, I'm talking about aircraft here because that's what I do. It's a shame Hasegawa doesn't do armor (except for MK), because in my opinion they have the best detailing and engineering on the market.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

As someone who likes the 1/72 scale in armor I'm going to try some of Hasegawa's kits soon. I'm building my first dragon kit (Challenger 2 Iraq) right now; aside from a few mistakes (like leaving out the headlights) it's quite impressive. It's quite a change from the WW2 stuff I've built so far.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

Nebakenezzer posted:

As someone who likes the 1/72 scale in armor I'm going to try some of Hasegawa's kits soon. I'm building my first dragon kit (Challenger 2 Iraq) right now; aside from a few mistakes (like leaving out the headlights) it's quite impressive. It's quite a change from the WW2 stuff I've built so far.

Hasegawa makes absolutely fantastic 1/72 airplanes. So, you could get something from the same time period as one of your armor pieces and set it down next to it, since it would be in the same scale! Maybe even make a little diorama? :dance:

Bolkovr
Apr 20, 2002

A chump and a hoagie going buck wild
Anyone built any of the Wingnut Wings 1:32 WWI planes? I stumbled upon the webpage today and am blown away. I always loved WWI aircraft but all the kits I built years ago were complete poo poo, with warped moldings, fragile decals, loosely translated instructions in pidgin Bulgarian, etc. These sound incredible. I ordered 2 of them, so we'll see.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
I can assure you that the wingnut wings kits are of amazing quality and well worth the money.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I haven't made a model in 20 years or so, but looking at the AFV Club and Dragon tanks is giving me the itch again.

I'm looking at this one to get back in practice, but I don't know anything about Bronco. Does this seem like a good cheap choice to work on first?
http://www.greatmodels.com/~smartcart/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=BOM35003&cartstatus=temp&custid=709045.4002

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I've never heard of them, but a PanzerBefehlWagen built on the chassis of a Hotchkiss H-35? At that price? I'd take it for curiosity value alone.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I haven't heard of them either, but I'm a sucker for those crazy German obsolete tank conversions. For ten bucks, you aren't really risking much.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Really, for the good of the thread, can you afford NOT to buy it?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

OK, you guys are very convincing! In the name of the thread I ordered the Befehlpanzer and a 1:72 captured T-34/76: http://www.greatmodels.com/~smartcart/cgi/display.cgi?item_num=UM0251

Oh crap I just realized I need glue :doh: Oh well, I need to visit a hobby shop for paints anyway. Painting and aging is what I'm really looking forward to, can't wait! Thanks for the push.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
My only experience with modeling is Warhammer models but I want to get into scale model ships. I've always really liked historic ships and so I picked up this model a while ago because it was cheap and it's exactly the style I like: Charles W. Morgan Historic Whaling Ship 1-110 Revell Germany

Unfortunately this kit is a lot more frustrating than I was expecting, between things not matching up well at all, and the plastic being too delicate(fine pieces like the hand grips on the ships wheel broke off from handling them). And good lord is there a lot of flash! Did I pick a bad kit/brand or is it probably a fluke? I'm gonna finish assembling the kit but it'll probably end up being a forgotten practice piece. Can I get a recommendation of what kit to try next? I don't mind spending up to about a $100 bucks if it will be worth it in the end.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Epi Lepi posted:

Unfortunately this kit is a lot more frustrating than I was expecting, between things not matching up well at all, and the plastic being too delicate(fine pieces like the hand grips on the ships wheel broke off from handling them). And good lord is there a lot of flash! Did I pick a bad kit/brand or is it probably a fluke? I'm gonna finish assembling the kit but it'll probably end up being a forgotten practice piece. Can I get a recommendation of what kit to try next? I don't mind spending up to about a $100 bucks if it will be worth it in the end.

It sounds like a really difficult kit. Revell Germany makes a lot of great kits, so I'm guessing your whaler was a fluke :haw: (Or possibly one of those old re-released kits.)

While I can't recommend a specific kit, I'd look around for something you find interesting, then check it's age. If it's been around a *long* time, it might have quality problems. A new kit from just about anyone should be fine.

e: Tamiya has a rep for having the best engineered kits out there, I'd start with them.

e2:

Powdered Toast Man posted:

Hasegawa makes absolutely fantastic 1/72 airplanes. So, you could get something from the same time period as one of your armor pieces and set it down next to it, since it would be in the same scale! Maybe even make a little diorama? :dance:

I've been lusting after Hasegawa's J35 Drakken for awhile now. Once I get through my current batch, I'm going to order it. I've been thinking about a basic Diorama for my fw200...

e3!: Sprune Bros has a labor day sale on everything, till the end of today.

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Sep 5, 2011

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Nebakenezzer posted:

It sounds like a really difficult kit. Revell Germany makes a lot of great kits, so I'm guessing your whaler was a fluke :haw: (Or possibly one of those old re-released kits.)

While I can't recommend a specific kit, I'd look around for something you find interesting, then check it's age. If it's been around a *long* time, it might have quality problems. A new kit from just about anyone should be fine.

e: Tamiya has a rep for having the best engineered kits out there, I'd start with them.

e2:

I've been lusting after Hasegawa's J35 Drakken for awhile now. Once I get through my current batch, I'm going to order it. I've been thinking about a basic Diorama for my fw200...

e3!: Sprune Bros has a labor day sale on everything, till the end of today.

Yeah I see now that there's a date on it-1982, this thing is older than I am. That explains a lot, the master molds probably have a lot of wear and tear to them, plus 80s tech designing the thing.

Edit: Checked out the Tamiya site but it looks like they don't have any sailing ships models, which is what I'm looking for.

Epi Lepi fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 6, 2011

kaosAG
Oct 14, 2005

Epi Lepi posted:

Yeah I see now that there's a date on it-1982, this thing is older than I am. That explains a lot, the master molds probably have a lot of wear and tear to them, plus 80s tech designing the thing.

Edit: Checked out the Tamiya site but it looks like they don't have any sailing ships models, which is what I'm looking for.

http://www.towerhobbies.com/modelships/index.html

Have a gander. Not a lot of selection for plastic sailing ship kits, but there's a few, at least. (the wood ones look cool as hell but wow $$$) I find it's really helpful to browse blogs/forums/etc for reviews on kits if I can find them so as to avoid buying a pain in the rear end. Just google "[scale] [brandname] [model] review" and sort through the results, praying that you don't get nine bajillion "WE HAVE THIS KIT IN STOCK RIGHT NOW" results.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Put together a vintage Zis-3 76.2mm gun kit. It's also the first time I experimented with making a camo net out of medical gauze. I'm mostly happy with the result, but it's not as see-through as I wanted it to be. Has anyone here done this before?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I have nothing constructive to offer but in the first pic it looks like the gun barrel is wearing a helmet too.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

I remember seeing a page showing how a guy detailed a cockpit by first laying down his highlight color in either acrylic or enamel, then laying down the base color in lacquer. After the lacquer dried, he used a bit of lacquer thinner on the tip of a toothpick to remove the lacquer from the bezels and tick marks on the instrument panel which would expose the highlight color. Does anybody know what I'm talking about and have a link to a page that describes that method?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

SkunkDuster posted:

I remember seeing a page showing how a guy detailed a cockpit by first laying down his highlight color in either acrylic or enamel, then laying down the base color in lacquer. After the lacquer dried, he used a bit of lacquer thinner on the tip of a toothpick to remove the lacquer from the bezels and tick marks on the instrument panel which would expose the highlight color. Does anybody know what I'm talking about and have a link to a page that describes that method?

Not heard of that one but it sounds like it would work. Maybe try it on a bit of spare kit, see how it goes?

Anyway, this what I've been doing lately. 72nd scale from Finemolds.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

SkunkDuster posted:

Yep, it's this guy: http://www.naritafamily.com/howto/howtoindex.htm

(Specifically I think it's his F-15 and Flanker builds.)

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

That's exactly the one I was thinking of. Good thing you linked it because I had the order of the paint rear end backwards. Thanks much!

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Happy to help. I've read all of this guy's articles; even when I'm not cribbing his ideas directly, they give me ideas on new things I could try out.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
The Finemolds Star Wars products really are nice. I like the stands they include with them, too.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Anyone had any experience with trupeter tank kits? Picked up a 1/35 challenger 2 a few weeks back and my god is it badly moulded, I'll post some pics when I'm back at home this afternoon, its a good thing me and my friend decided to do a fantasy diorama with it so I can cover some of the gently caress ups with damage and other things.

Also does anyone have a good UK retailer for 1/35th figures, need some zombies for it, cheaper the better.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I built one of their 1/72 StuG III kits ages ago, and it was beautiful. You might have gotten a bad kit or be seeing some transit damage, or their big scale stuff could be crap.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Keket posted:

Anyone had any experience with trupeter tank kits? Picked up a 1/35 challenger 2 a few weeks back and my god is it badly moulded, I'll post some pics when I'm back at home this afternoon, its a good thing me and my friend decided to do a fantasy diorama with it so I can cover some of the gently caress ups with damage and other things.

I think that kit is really old, their kits have definitely improved over time.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
I've been working on the Revell Charles W. Morgan plastic kit and I got up to the rigging stages and holy poo poo, how do I go about doing this?? It took me 20 minutes to do just part of the bowsprit rigging and I can't get it to stay tight and not look like poo poo, probably going to have to cut the thread and start over. Any advice?

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

Epi Lepi posted:

I've been working on the Revell Charles W. Morgan plastic kit and I got up to the rigging stages and holy poo poo, how do I go about doing this?? It took me 20 minutes to do just part of the bowsprit rigging and I can't get it to stay tight and not look like poo poo, probably going to have to cut the thread and start over. Any advice?

I'd have to see where you're at to help, but one bit I can offer is to tie a temporary thread or two across all the masts to help maintain spacing so they don't flex out of position as you rig.

Such a pretty ship! http://www.tomlytle.com/Resources/SHIP_CWM.jpg

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Sun Dog posted:

I'd have to see where you're at to help, but one bit I can offer is to tie a temporary thread or two across all the masts to help maintain spacing so they don't flex out of position as you rig.

Such a pretty ship! http://www.tomlytle.com/Resources/SHIP_CWM.jpg

I just don't get the basics of how to do this. Should I be trying to knot all the thread or should I be trying to hold it with dobs of glue? Is this something that's much easier to do with tweezers and tools? I could just use some basic tips or like an instruction video or something.

Sun Dog
Dec 25, 2002

Old School Gamer.

Epi Lepi posted:

I just don't get the basics of how to do this. Should I be trying to knot all the thread or should I be trying to hold it with dobs of glue? Is this something that's much easier to do with tweezers and tools? I could just use some basic tips or like an instruction video or something.

Needlepoint tweezers are a huge help. Learn how surgeons tie stitches. Dab glue on your knots when you get them tied.

Maybe this video will help. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU-h8i4LtPM

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

1/72 Challenger 2:

No weathering aside from a wash with a water-based black; I wanted this one to be clean.

Also my first dragon kit; the colors they specified were wrong, and the instructions were not great, but otherwise I'm impressed.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Missing Lynx (http://www.missing-lynx.com/index.htm) is probably the best scale modelling site on the net. They specialize in AFVs, but occasionally someone will post other vehicles. The upside is that they have a really knowledgeable community. The bad side is that pretty much every link you click on in the "Constructive Comments" (http://www.network54.com/Forum/110741/} section will make your your jaw drop in the detail, then get depressed when you realize you will probably never approach their skill.

Examples:

Late War Panzer IV:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/110741/message/1317060462/DML+Pz.+IV+Ausf.+J+.Finished.

Swedish Tank. . . holy poo poo that's so detailed for its size!
http://www.network54.com/Forum/110741/message/1316977410/Swedish+Strv.+104+-+Now+with+figures...

Cattle car: Who's going to look under the chassis?
http://www.network54.com/Forum/110741/message/1316977221/Burden+of+Sorrow+(WIP)

Uboat Captain Bust:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/110741/message/1316922457/U-Boat+Captain+Bust...

WWII Spare Parts Mech:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/110741/message/1316844488/Spare+parts+alternative+use+2+.+.+.+%26quot%3BWagner%26quot%3B+finished.

Original, and those waves!
http://www.network54.com/Forum/110741/message/1316787044/Yamato+-+the+Golden+Surfer

Flak-Track with amazing Paint:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/110741/message/1316771227/Flak+43+auf+SWS+-Great+Wall+1-35

That's one well stocked Half-Track:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/110741/message/1316693734/SdKfz+7+with+sFH+18+-+the+sweet+couple

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Blistex posted:

Missing Lynx (http://www.missing-lynx.com/index.htm) is probably the best scale modelling site on the net. They specialize in AFVs, but occasionally someone will post other vehicles. The upside is that they have a really knowledgeable community. The bad side is that pretty much every link you click on in the "Constructive Comments" (http://www.network54.com/Forum/110741/} section will make your your jaw drop in the detail, then get depressed when you realize you will probably never approach their skill.

Examples:

Late War Panzer IV:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/110741/message/1317060462/DML+Pz.+IV+Ausf.+J+.Finished.

Swedish Tank. . . holy poo poo that's so detailed for its size!
http://www.network54.com/Forum/110741/message/1316977410/Swedish+Strv.+104+-+Now+with+figures...

Cattle car: Who's going to look under the chassis?
http://www.network54.com/Forum/110741/message/1316977221/Burden+of+Sorrow+(WIP)

Uboat Captain Bust:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/110741/message/1316922457/U-Boat+Captain+Bust...

WWII Spare Parts Mech:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/110741/message/1316844488/Spare+parts+alternative+use+2+.+.+.+%26quot%3BWagner%26quot%3B+finished.

Original, and those waves!
http://www.network54.com/Forum/110741/message/1316787044/Yamato+-+the+Golden+Surfer

Flak-Track with amazing Paint:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/110741/message/1316771227/Flak+43+auf+SWS+-Great+Wall+1-35

That's one well stocked Half-Track:
http://www.network54.com/Forum/110741/message/1316693734/SdKfz+7+with+sFH+18+-+the+sweet+couple

:psyboom:

Seriously. Jesus Christ. I look at how far I've come personally, then I see work like that and just want to give up.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
drat, those are some nicely detailed models. It's astonishing how well they can do tiny details like rank insignia.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
These guys use single hair brushes and high magnification lenses to do that. I can't find it, but this one guy a few years ago scratchbuilt a Ferdinand tank destroyer in such detail that he even made the individual springs BY HAND for under the driver and radio operator's seats and even painted every gauge as well. I don't think he made individual pistons for the engine, but every visible nut and bolt on the interior compartments was there. What I find mindblowing is that once the model is made it is literally impossible to see 99% of the work he did without taking it apart or using some manner of medical fibre optic device used for exploratory surgery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
Uh. A diorama of a railway car being unloaded at a concentration camp? Seriously? That's rather disturbing.