Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.

Startyde posted:

Started this a few months ago, just finished up the paint job at work yesterday.

Lopsided with half the polyphony because one of the pair of 6581s ended up funky. :|

I built a black sammich from the first run, that's equipped with 8581s. When the kit creator opened a last run of orders for them, with this white acrylic as a choice, I had to jump on it. Now I've got some ebony and ivory kinda thang going on. :fap:

Bad.rear end.

I'm trying to get a Commodore 64 with MSSIAH from a guy 30 miles away from me today. This thing looks so much more convenient though. Hell, I could always use the SIDs after. I still need to get up the balls to build my Shruthi-1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Manky posted:

I didn't know that. How can you tell? I can't find any indication on the website. Because drat, that was a major thing keeping me from fantasizing about that XV-610.

Rondo is pretty awesome and Kurt is a good guy, it's my pleasure to spread the word.

Back o' the headstock, if you consider that a reliable indicator. I would.

Warcabbit posted:

Rondo apparently used to have an actual store in Jersey at one point. Huh.
Still do, as far as I know.

e; guess that's actually in New Hampshire, nevermind.

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

RillAkBea posted:

Oh god.. I bought what?

Went into the local shop to browse and after trying a lot of models I somehow ended up with a (non pawn shop) limited edition MIJ Mustang 69.

I tried quite a few guitars and fell on this one because it just sounded completely different, it intrigued me. Sounds a bit weird on overdrive, but great on fuzz.

This looks awesome, I'd never heard of these before. Unusual-looking pickups. I'm more of a bass person but the Pawn Shop Mustangs seem fantastic as well.

Fuzz is really all you need, anyway. Fuzz is king.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Warcabbit posted:

Why is it that Japan loves the Mustang so much?

In Japan in the 70's there was a hugely popular musician called Char who exclusively used white and blue mustangs. Here's a video of him playing his hit "Smoky" on one of them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNnR3p14z3c&feature=related. After that, everyone in Japan had to have a Mustang. I think Char eventually switched to a strat, but the demand for Mustangs was still there.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

renderful posted:

I'm trying to get a Commodore 64 with MSSIAH from a guy 30 miles away from me today. This thing looks so much more convenient though. Hell, I could always use the SIDs after. I still need to get up the balls to build my Shruthi-1.

I think that the MSSIAH tape is one hell of an achievement and if you're sticking with chip for chip's sake than it's certainly more 'authentic' than the standalone/ground-up solutions. If the price is right you should jump on it either way.
Shruthi looks like one hell of a project and I'd like to pick up a kit but I don't do paypal. The build doesn't look too bad. Did you also get the enclosure? That's slick. The few times I've seen them in person they've just been in a cardboard box or in a pile. :(

Here's the girls together, ignore my horrible paintjob on the original black one. LCD config is black on green, LEDs are green.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

That isn't mine in the photo but it's pretty much identical. I could happily just sit there and stare at it for hours.

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon

Virus + Woolly Mammoth = gross, beautiful friends

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

Frankston posted:

That isn't mine in the photo but it's pretty much identical. I could happily just sit there and stare at it for hours.

Dammit, this is the exact guitar I want and have been staring at online for a while. There is no way I can justify buying it for a while, though, especially with no job.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Phthisis posted:

Dammit, this is the exact guitar I want and have been staring at online for a while. There is no way I can justify buying it for a while, though, especially with no job.

I was a bit apprehensive about spending that much and even had that buyer's remorse feeling for a short while afterwards but as soon as I saw it standing there in my living room all those bad feelings went away. It is so freaking sexy and I love it.

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009
I have one of these Jags ( http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0259200306 ) and it was worth every penny. It's not the same as that one pictured but Jags are really the king when it comes to methodically finding tones you like to work with.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.

Startyde posted:

I think that the MSSIAH tape is one hell of an achievement and if you're sticking with chip for chip's sake than it's certainly more 'authentic' than the standalone/ground-up solutions. If the price is right you should jump on it either way.
Shruthi looks like one hell of a project and I'd like to pick up a kit but I don't do paypal. The build doesn't look too bad. Did you also get the enclosure? That's slick. The few times I've seen them in person they've just been in a cardboard box or in a pile. :(

Here's the girls together, ignore my horrible paintjob on the original black one. LCD config is black on green, LEDs are green.

The Commodore with MSSIAH is $300. Good price, in my opinion, but I don't have it right now. Hopefully no one buys it, so that I can grab it in a week or two. If all else fails, I'll continue to use Plogue Chipsounds. It's quite impressive in its grit.

I did get the enclosure for the Shruthi-1, I've just been too cowardly to get into a soldering project that large. I almost contracted the build out, but I decided that would ruin half the fun and break part of the connection to the instrument for me. I'd also like to get multiple Shruthi-1's, as you can daisy chain them for polyphonic action.

Beautiful boxes you have there!(even the black one looks good. call it... ACID WASHED!) What's your current workflow with them? How many voices can you get out of each? Are the lights at the top for sequencing 3 parts?

GRBass
Apr 25, 2008

this sumbitch is on the way also my EMG JVX pickups and my badass II bridge.

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation
Just purchased a StealthPedal used from Long & McQuade in Toronto for $100 last weekend, and I was going to come on here to post how awesome it is but for whatever reason the driver setup refuses to finish and always crashes seconds after starting it :( I'm running in administrator and all that.

In addition, the registration card for the thing seems to be all used up, and so I can't actually download any new drivers for this thing because IK's site sucks :(

So does anyone have drivers for the StealthPedal (preferably 64-bit, Vista)??

snappo
Jun 18, 2006

Shovelbearer posted:

Kick rear end. I've had my Virus B for about 12 years and it never gets old.

snappo
Jun 18, 2006

Fireface UFX. I've had it for a few months now but it's still technically my newest piece of gear. Paired with the Mytek and DAV, I have 20 analog ins and outs to my DAW, with 12 mic preamps, all of which can go with me anywhere.

That little USB port on the front? Records back-up (or stand alone) to a thumb drive.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

renderful posted:

Beautiful boxes you have there!(even the black one looks good. call it... ACID WASHED!) What's your current workflow with them? How many voices can you get out of each? Are the lights at the top for sequencing 3 parts?

Definitely get to building, that's half the fun there. :v:

Workflow is in shambles because I'm up-ending my studio, but in the past I've usually used the black one in poly mode and just played it live. Now that they've multiplied I should probably use them with more purpose.
I'm trying to get my two favorite sequencers (rm1x/mpc) to play nice so I can have a computerless, and more mobile, rig but work/life's been slowing it down.
Specs are the same as the SID since they're just driving them. Three monophonic oscillators, two chips per box is six voices. You can have separate patches on each osc, but they are summed. Each chip has one out. There's also a filter input that I haven't abused yet.
LEDs are just for show unfortunately, they are sort of a meter for each voice. There are both a dedicated x0x drum sequencer as well as a bass line sequencer. The latter is not awesome to use on the spartan UI. It does do that 303 'slide' magic which doesn't sound right trying to do externally sequenced though.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

Brownie posted:

(preferably 64-bit, Vista)??

Seriously? Get Win7. Vista is an unpredictable, horrible, vicious, vindictive bitch who wants to eat your soul.

BRAAAAAAAINS
Oct 14, 2010

They so tasty..

fuctifino posted:

Sunshine, space, coffee, nature and a loving grand piano. Life could not be so perfect :)

Beautiful! I am quite jealous, haha!

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Hey Scarf, I think my reply got lost in the last page or so.

I don't have PM's, shoot me an email, iostream DOT header at gmail.
It's in perfect condition, has the latest firmware, absolutely not a mark or blemish on it at all.

Make an offer, I can ship tomorrow incidentally.

iostream.h fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 2, 2011

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

snappo posted:

Fireface UFX. I've had it for a few months now but it's still technically my newest piece of gear. Paired with the Mytek and DAV, I have 20 analog ins and outs to my DAW, with 12 mic preamps, all of which can go with me anywhere.

That little USB port on the front? Records back-up (or stand alone) to a thumb drive.

Have you ever used a FireFace 800? I haven't heard of this UFX, and my 800 is getting kind of worn so it might be time to upgrade. The inclusion of a display is nice, it's one thing I think the 800 needed. As much as I liked using a PC, sometimes I'd use the Fireface as an independent mixer if I didn't feel like setting up my Soundcraft 32-channel digital board.

How are the effects the UFX? I mainly use my VSTs, but more options wouldn't hurt.
Also how are the preamps? I've spent a bit of time comparing Apogee, RME, and Soundcraft Ghost pres, and the RME's seem pretty flat. I tended to like the Apogee for vocals thanks to the sheen it gave, and the Ghost's have an interesting warmth, but the RME have always been my go-to for 16+ track mixes. Reading the RME site makes it seem like the UFX pres are different than standard.

New TotalMix looks nice though - I've always been a huge fan of the original for the massive routing options, but it's not exactly pretty. And holy poo poo at the Hardware Remote. That's the major area the original was lacking.

snappo
Jun 18, 2006
I haven't used the FF 800, but the UFX's "Micstasy" preamp circuit is generally touted as being superior to the older line of RME products. I honestly haven't done an A/B comparison between the UFX and any other pres, but when I've recorded full bands and had to use the DAV BG8 and UFX pres together, I didn't find that the RME channels were lacking in any way.

Totalmix is AWESOME. Along with an 8 channel headphone amp, it makes very easy work of recording a full band and sending separate, custom, latency-free headphone mixes (with effects) to each player. It's already got two stereo headphone jacks right there on the front if you're only dealing with a few people. Anyway, it's completely eliminated the need to lug my Mackie 1604 around when I do mobile recording. The effects sound good--they're perfectly functional and extremely convenient for live-monitoring with effects--but it would be a huge logistical hassle to try to use them alongside VST plugins in a mix project.

Overall, I'm EXTREMELY impressed with the UFX. Bang for the buck is unmatched.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

This turned up today:

Although mine doesent say v1 on it.

Amazing distortion, I was looking for something I could use when I couldnt take my blackstar but I think I've found a setting I like more than my blackstars gain channel anyway.

I was a little dissapointed when I plugged it in though as it didnt sound like the V2 I tried in the store, apparantly though part of the reason for the V2s redesign is that most people just used the V1 with the mid knob cranked so they decided to replace it with a revocied EQ and its true, thats where it becomes good.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 2, 2011

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Hammer Floyd posted:

Seriously? Get Win7. Vista is an unpredictable, horrible, vicious, vindictive bitch who wants to eat your soul.

Dude, this doesn't help me with my problem at all, so thanks for the unwanted OS advice, but I don't understand how you read that post and thought 'I know what will help this guy! Unrelated advice that involves spending more money!'

I still need the drivers :(

My Precious Violin Case
Aug 1, 2004

Is it gay that I want to see it?

Brownie posted:

Dude, this doesn't help me with my problem at all, so thanks for the unwanted OS advice, but I don't understand how you read that post and thought 'I know what will help this guy! Unrelated advice that involves spending more money!'

I still need the drivers :(

He was just pointing out that it might be Vista that is getting in the way of the installation; it's pretty awful sometimes. Try following this advice to find the drivers.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Side Effects posted:

In Japan in the 70's there was a hugely popular musician called Char who exclusively used white and blue mustangs. Here's a video of him playing his hit "Smoky" on one of them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNnR3p14z3c&feature=related. After that, everyone in Japan had to have a Mustang. I think Char eventually switched to a strat, but the demand for Mustangs was still there.

You're a bastard for bringing this man to my attention, you know that?

(Thankyou. :) )

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

My Precious Violin Case posted:

He was just pointing out that it might be Vista that is getting in the way of the installation; it's pretty awful sometimes. Try following this advice to find the drivers.

Right, I know that I need the 64-bit Drivers for Vista, the issue is I can't get into the user area at all because my StealthPedal is used. The drivers provided on the disk are old and incompatible with Vista/7 64-bit, so they crash. The serial codes provided with the Pedal were all used and so I can't use them to sign up on IK's site, even though I don't really give a poo poo about amplitube or x-gear or any of that.

I just want the drivers, but I can't access that part of IK's website. It's that simple, and was in my original post :(

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

My Precious Violin Case posted:

He was just pointing out that it might be Vista that is getting in the way of the installation; it's pretty awful sometimes.

Pretty much this. Vista is unpredictable and unreliable, so while we may offer solutions, they may not necessarily work because Vista is satan. I've had to spend a LOT of time with Vista and I've never hated life quite so much. I got Win7 and pretty much 90% of my audio problems were fixed.

quote:

The serial codes provided with the Pedal were all used...

Try emailing IK Multimedia and explaining that you bought the pedal second-hand and need new codes?

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Blue Square posted:

You're a bastard for bringing this man to my attention, you know that?

(Thankyou. :) )

Better not look up Tomoyasu Hotei, then.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRtG0ahCoSI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nPEPjaswHY&feature=related
(Here he is with Char and Brian Setzer.)
I'd been more used to Char later in his career with the Strat. Forgot about the Mustang.
(You know Hotei: Battle Without Honor or Humanity)

Warcabbit fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 3, 2011

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

Hammer Floyd posted:

Try emailing IK Multimedia and explaining that you bought the pedal second-hand and need new codes?

I submitted a support ticket but since it was late Friday I was hoping I would get a chance to use my pedal over the weekend, ie before they would be able to respond. And while they might be willing to provide me with drivers or access to the user's area, I don't see why they would provide me with any new codes since my purchase of the pedal used means they see literally 0 dollars from that purchase. Hopefully they don't realize that, I guess.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

amishbuttermaster posted:

I have one of these Jags ( http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0259200306 ) and it was worth every penny. It's not the same as that one pictured but Jags are really the king when it comes to methodically finding tones you like to work with.

I have one of these too, although its sunburst finish with a white pickguard. Really nice looking. It's an MIJ from 94-95, apparently they don't make the HH special in sunburst anymore? It was a steal on craigslist for $350. I was a strat guy for a long time but I really like the tone I get out of this jag.

Lriagan
Sep 13, 2011
And now the latest things!!

x2

The SSVM was one of the best things I have ever purchased. Just its volume control makes it worth it. I noticed so much "magic dust" added to my sound the moment I turn it on without delay that I have presets made with no effect and just the volume up.

And a Mesa LSS with a whole retubing. NOS rect tube, tungsols in preamp and JJEL844s in the power.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Three Red Lights posted:

This turned up today:

Although mine doesent say v1 on it.

Amazing distortion, I was looking for something I could use when I couldnt take my blackstar but I think I've found a setting I like more than my blackstars gain channel anyway.

I was a little dissapointed when I plugged it in though as it didnt sound like the V2 I tried in the store, apparantly though part of the reason for the V2s redesign is that most people just used the V1 with the mid knob cranked so they decided to replace it with a revocied EQ and its true, thats where it becomes good.

Wow, that's really a piece of history there. You'll end up in touch with me if you ever need anything with it (and you may not, our stuff from back then has held up fine, too). But it's got the boost section and the aluminum knobs, both features that disappeared immediately after that version. And yeah, the voicing past that point was changed pretty substantially. The modern Plextortion bears a passing resemblance to that pedal, on the whole, but it is the genesis of it.

I've been waiting FOREVER to see a Wampler Pedals purchase show up here, never know... I'll take second hand, that counts. :D

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Shovelbearer posted:

Goddamn, do I ever lust after the mighty Woolly Mammoth. Try as I might, I cannot seem to justify $300+ on a pedal. Congrats on the fine purchase (and also on being apparently wealthy!) :cheers:

in_absentia
Feb 6, 2008

LYNCHINGS ARE WHAT GIVE THE SOUTH ITS CHARM!
:3:
(not a bigot)

Brownie posted:

I submitted a support ticket but since it was late Friday I was hoping I would get a chance to use my pedal over the weekend, ie before they would be able to respond. And while they might be willing to provide me with drivers or access to the user's area, I don't see why they would provide me with any new codes since my purchase of the pedal used means they see literally 0 dollars from that purchase. Hopefully they don't realize that, I guess.

ASIO4ALL is your friend. And dude, you're a loving dick.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Hammer Floyd posted:

IK has a licensing transfer fee, which in this case was bypassed, so they probably don't feel especially obligated to provide support, i.e. the software for the product's use. Still worth a shot, though. I love IK's software but Native's licensing structure is admittedly a lot less of a pinch on users. Transferring a Rig Kontrol license is painless, just deactivate it and you're free to go on your merry way. I shot them an email just to let them know, I feel like their response was a very polite version of "We don't actually see this as an issue, but thanks for taking the time I guess!"

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon

betterinsodapop posted:

Goddamn, do I ever lust after the mighty Woolly Mammoth. Try as I might, I cannot seem to justify $300+ on a pedal. Congrats on the fine purchase (and also on being apparently wealthy!) :cheers:

Eh, not wealthy, but I completed a huge push at work which resulted in me getting tons and tons of overtime pay, plus everyone in the department getting bonuses. Also, I had plenty of space on my musician's friend credit card, so I splurged after hearing that Tobacco from Black Moth Super Rainbow named it as indispensable to his work (I do so love his bass tones) and watching some youtubes. No regrets.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Played one of these in a shop about a month ago and been lusting after it since. This one was about £70 less than what they usually go for so I'm assuming it's ex-demo or something, but then it came with all the tags and plastic wrapping like it was brand new so whatever. It sounds fantastic, and at 180 watts it should be loud enough for my needs until I graduate and have enough money to actually put together a full rig :getin:

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
Not really "gear" in the classical sense, but since it's like 90% of what I use for making actual tracks and not just futzing about I figured I'd post it here.

REASON 6 FINALLY ARRIVED, HOLY poo poo YES YES YES! :D

Now that Record is integrated into Reason, I don't think I'll have to use anything else for my music in the near future. Also, if anyone wants to try it, you can download it from propellerheads.se - the demo is fully featured, you just can't save/export your projects.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.

Das Butterbrot posted:

REASON 6 FINALLY ARRIVED, HOLY poo poo YES YES YES! :D

Does it still have the retarded 1024px fixed width?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Does it still have the retarded 1024px fixed width?

Nope, you can have multiple racks side by side, this has been the case since Reason 5 anyway if I'm not mistaken. Reason 6 now has all the functions of Record aswell. The SSL mixing desk emulation is p. nice and while the timestretching is not as flexible as ableton's it'll probably suffice for what I'm doing.