Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I have a 2007 Intel iMac that is randomly shutting off. It doesn't necessarily seem to happen under load or anything, it's mostly random. Once it shuts off if often continues to shut off quickly after startup for the next few hours. I brought it to the Genius Bar and they couldn't get it to shut off randomly at all. They thought it might eb the power supply, but they weren't sure. Does anyone have any advice? Should I just spend the $150 and replace the power supply in the hope that its the problem? Should I be looking for anything specific in the console?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
My TBD finally shipped - so excited!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

frogbs posted:

I have a 2007 Intel iMac that is randomly shutting off. It doesn't necessarily seem to happen under load or anything, it's mostly random. Once it shuts off if often continues to shut off quickly after startup for the next few hours. I brought it to the Genius Bar and they couldn't get it to shut off randomly at all. They thought it might eb the power supply, but they weren't sure. Does anyone have any advice? Should I just spend the $150 and replace the power supply in the hope that its the problem? Should I be looking for anything specific in the console?

Heat will cause the machine to shut completely off in a blink once it gets past a certain threshold, I think, but it's gotta be HOT, as in putting your hand on the back should make this pretty obvious. I had a Mac Mini that did this.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

frogbs posted:

I had random instant shutdowns not associated with overheating happening on my late 2008 mbp, a battery replacement did it for me.

If it's associated with overheating you can always take it apart and clean it if you're comfortable doing so.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

frogbs posted:

It could be heat, but even if it's a sensor going bad you'd hear the fans go nuts before it shut off. Plus the machines normally go to sleep when they overheat, unless it's "oh dear Jesus" hot.

It could be the power supply (that's what I would lean toward) but for anything that's not blindingly obvious, I usually recommend taking the computer to an Apple Store or an AASP. The parts might be more expensive and you have to pay for labor, but if they ordered a power supply and it ended up needing a logic board or cable or whatever, they wouldn't (shouldn't?) charge you for the power supply that wasn't required.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Does anyone have any experience selling hardware to powerbookmedic.com ? Like, do they grossly overstate what they actually pay for your device once they get it?

I'm thinking about abandonning my late 2008 unibody MBP 2.53, and It looks like they'd offer as much as or even more than your average SA-mart transaction would go through. $841.40 for "Normal Wear" , Restore Discs Included, and No charger (it's frayed and still works, but the difference is only 5 bucks. For 5 bucks i'll keep it as a spare).

I'm really just looking for an excuse to get a good chunk of funding for a new MBA.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Have you considered putting an SSD into it and keeping it for another year? Most people are quite happy with the performance increase that an SSD would bring to a system of that age.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

My PIN is 4826 posted:

Have you considered putting an SSD into it and keeping it for another year? Most people are quite happy with the performance increase that an SSD would bring to a system of that age.

I have. In fact, instead of going the SSD route, I put in a Seagate Momentus XT 500GB 7200RPM "Hybrid" drive and it made a HUGE difference. I know an SSD would be even better, but the Seagate was a brilliant upgrade for only a hundred bucks. I guess my issue is that I just want something new, shiny, and tiny. Also : I'm sick of the computer being uncomfortably hot to the touch even sitting atop a little laptop "cooling pad" with fans blowing on it.

Edit: Plus : my issue is portability. I want to use my laptop like i use my iPad, where dragging it around doesn't feel like the inconvenience that a 15" laptop is. In a perfect world that website would give me the quoted price, and i'd offload my iPad for a bit of cash, and combine those devices into a sexy, sexy new MBA.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 30, 2011

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
I'm looking for a sleeve for my new MBA. Is there any reason I shouldn't go to the Apple Store and grab the appropriate Incase neoprene thing?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Bob_McBob posted:

I'm looking for a sleeve for my new MBA. Is there any reason I shouldn't go to the Apple Store and grab the appropriate Incase neoprene thing?

You might find it cheaper online, but other than that, nope. There are some fashion/style options out there as well, but the humble neoprene sleeve has done its job for every single laptop I have owned, PC or Mac.

The eBay ones will take forever to arrive, but they seem to be OK. I got a pink one for my ex-GF a few years back, and it's held up pretty well.

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Nerdrock posted:

Does anyone have any experience selling hardware to powerbookmedic.com ? Like, do they grossly overstate what they actually pay for your device once they get it?

I'm thinking about abandonning my late 2008 unibody MBP 2.53, and It looks like they'd offer as much as or even more than your average SA-mart transaction would go through. $841.40 for "Normal Wear" , Restore Discs Included, and No charger (it's frayed and still works, but the difference is only 5 bucks. For 5 bucks i'll keep it as a spare).

I'm really just looking for an excuse to get a good chunk of funding for a new MBA.

I'm looking to get rid of exactly this Macbook except I have an 80GB Intel 320 SSD with it and a 500GB hard drive that I have yet to put in an optibay. I can't find anybody to buy it locally and unless someone on here wants to buy it I think I might go this route.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Nerdrock posted:

Also : I'm sick of the computer being uncomfortably hot to the touch even sitting atop a little laptop "cooling pad" with fans blowing on it.

Even the latest Airs can get roasting hot if you're doing anything intensive.

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

I just ordered a refurb 2011 MBP i7 2.0 HR-AG and I was wondering if I could just take the SATA 7200rpm 500GB HD that I have in my 07 Macbook and put it it right into the MBP?

It has Lion installed and is up to date. Anyone see any trouble from this?

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

movax posted:

You might find it cheaper online, but other than that, nope. There are some fashion/style options out there as well, but the humble neoprene sleeve has done its job for every single laptop I have owned, PC or Mac.

FWIW, it turns out Incase doesn't actually make a basic neoprene case specifically for the 13" MBA. The only 13" one they have fits the 13" MBP, and is advertised as suitable for the MBA as well. If you've seen a 13" MBP and MBA side by side... that's how loose the MBA is inside it. Tried it with one of the in-store models.

Tryke
Jun 27, 2008
Can anybody recommend a case for a Macbook Air 13" with a shoulder strap & pocket for the AC adapter?

Essentially, I'd love something like this except with a pocket for my AC adapter.

I also saw this bag, which has the pockets but might be kinda loose since it was meant for the 13" Macbook Pro.

I guess I've mostly answered my own question, I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking something in between the two bags I linked above.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I have this one for my 11", it's great

http://www.macworld.com/article/156205/2010/12/stm_jacket_xs.html

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I've noticed my Aluminum MacBook no longer uses safe sleep when the battery dies. When I charge it and power on it boots cold. I'm running Lion and an SSD, with the hack to enable TRIM. Is this normal for SSDs or is something hosed?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

UnbornApple posted:

I've noticed my Aluminum MacBook no longer uses safe sleep when the battery dies. When I charge it and power on it boots cold. I'm running Lion and an SSD, with the hack to enable TRIM. Is this normal for SSDs or is something hosed?
What does
code:
pmset -g | grep hibernatemode
return if you enter it into Terminal?

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

hibernatemode 3

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

That's odd since that's the correct mode for safe sleep. RAM contents are kept persistent and also written to disk. In the event of a power loss, it should resume from hibernation on boot. Are you sure it's cold-booting and not coming out of hibernation? I don't even know what the hibernation loading process looks like since I've never done it.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Oct 2, 2011

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Pre-Lion there was a loading bar you'd see at the bottom of the screen. I do have a 4GB sleepimage file, so maybe they removed that special loading bar in Lion?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

In theory, you could change to hibernatemode 1 (sleep disabled, hibernate only) just to see what coming out of hibernation looks like, then change back.

I'm actually sort of curious now.

http://www.macworld.com/article/53471/2006/10/sleepmode.html

Tryke
Jun 27, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

I have this one for my 11", it's great

http://www.macworld.com/article/156205/2010/12/stm_jacket_xs.html

Exactly what I needed, and Amazon had the 13" version on sale. Thanks!

tikan
Apr 30, 2009
My Air has decided to take about 10 seconds or more to be usable again after sleeping, sometimes black screen, sometimes just mouse/kb not doing anything. Is this a thing to be fixed or should I just stroll by the fruit stand?

jubles
Oct 25, 2010

tikan posted:

My Air has decided to take about 10 seconds or more to be usable again after sleeping, sometimes black screen, sometimes just mouse/kb not doing anything. Is this a thing to be fixed or should I just stroll by the fruit stand?

But it eventually wakes up, yes? This also happens to me. I think it's a Lion bug.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

In theory, you could change to hibernatemode 1 (sleep disabled, hibernate only) just to see what coming out of hibernation looks like, then change back.

I'm actually sort of curious now.

http://www.macworld.com/article/53471/2006/10/sleepmode.html
They should update that article with the newer MBA's sleep mode which is 25 or some weird number. Not sure if anything else is new or changed though.

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008
If you have any sort of issue with sleep and are running filevault, try decrypting and see if you can reproduce.

I was having an issue with my 2011 macbook pro not waking from sleep after closing the lid, it was all resolved after a decrypt of the drive. I'm waiting for my SSD to come in before I reencrypt to see if it's still happening and an actual hardware issue.

Harry Totterbottom fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 2, 2011

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

jubles posted:

But it eventually wakes up, yes? This also happens to me. I think it's a Lion bug.
Yeah it seems to affect all new Airs right now.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Did the multitouch trackpad become most sensitive with lion or something? I find myself messing with my own scrolling a lot lately because I've rested the base of my thumb in the corner.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

My PIN is 4826 posted:

Did the multitouch trackpad become most sensitive with lion or something? I find myself messing with my own scrolling a lot lately because I've rested the base of my thumb in the corner.

Feels like it to me. Especially in Safari, they changed page back to 2 finger swipe and it causes me to accidentally go back pretty often when just scrolling around. They also seemed to have removed the reload page feature when you click back that used to be there for me in SL. Pretty loving annoying to accidentally go back a page and get stuck in this loop of the page needing refreshing.

Then there's the drat auto-refresh that's also hosed me over when working on projects. I wish I didn't dislike Firefox and Chrome on OSX so much :/

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

tikan posted:

Oh hey, it's not just me. I went from instant to delayed in a couple of weeks.

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

Tryke posted:

Can anybody recommend a case for a Macbook Air 13" with a shoulder strap & pocket for the AC adapter?

Waterfield Designs in San Francisco make amazing products. You're going to pay a bit more, but the design is first rate, the quality and materials are awesome, and it's 100% made in the USA. I have a couple of their products and couldn't be happier.

http://sfbags.com/products/air-travelexpress/macbook-air-travelexpress.php

SeventySeven
Jan 18, 2005
I AM A FAGGOT WHO BEGGED EXTREMITY TO CREATE AM ACCOUNT FOR ME. PLEASE PELT ME WITH ASSORTED GOODS.

UnbornApple posted:

What SSD? My machine has an issue with safe sleep using a OCZ Vertex 2, namely it would go into a safe sleep mode but would freeze up coming out of it requiring a power cycle. This is on Snow Leopard, maybe something changed in Lion where it will just cold boot if it can't bring it back out of safe sleep?

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring

pipebomb posted:

My TBD finally shipped - so excited!
In this vein...my Macbook Air shipped yesterday. I really can't wait to get it and fully expect it to replace my iMac as the go-to-machine for all of my work.
If it turns out that the 1,8GHz i7 is fast enough for what I am doing (writing, internet, the lightest of gaming), I'll probably flip the iMac into a Thunderbolt Display.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 2, 2011

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Someone on the last page asked about iMac 27 inch glare, and I'm interested in that too, since I'm in the market for either a 27 iMac or an LED Cinema Display. I'd love to hear anyone's experiences, either living with the glare or effective anti-glare methods.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Zas posted:

Someone on the last page asked about iMac 27 inch glare, and I'm interested in that too, since I'm in the market for either a 27 iMac or an LED Cinema Display. I'd love to hear anyone's experiences, either living with the glare or effective anti-glare methods.

I have no problems with it and I'm pretty fussy about things like that. Calibrated it fine with a spyder.

Depending on the positioning you might get some glare - my office has direct sunlight during the morning so I have to keep the blinds down for it.

You might have to replan your office but it definitely isn't a deal breaker.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
If you do find that the glare is a problem for you, both HP and Dell make 27-inch displays with the same panels, and I believe both are finished with a matte surface.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

mediaphage posted:

If you do find that the glare is a problem for you, both HP and Dell make 27-inch displays with the same panels, and I believe both are finished with a matte surface.

They just don't make one with a computer built into it.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
My girlfriend's 13" Late 2010 Macbook Air slipped off her bed and crashed to the ground, cracking the screen. She doesn't have AppleCare but I don't think that even matters in this case (aside from hoping for a nice Genius). Anyone know how much this repair normally costs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Bob Morales posted:

They just don't make one with a computer built into it.

Not at the moment, but the question did also suggest the Cinema Display (which is actually now called the Apple Thunderbolt Display).