Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Jetpack Postman posted:

This is an "Oh poo poo, help!" option rather than full-fledged Co-Op. There's no Voice Op on PS3, Party Chat AND Private Chat is forbidden on Xbox Live - the game will kick you to the title screen if it detects Party/Private Chat - and the players that are summoned are the first ones who touch the mark left by your White Soapstone. You can't play privately with friends unless you can constantly and consistently orchestrate some complex, failsafe plan to make sure they're the first ones to reach the mark and you can only chat with them through 3rd Party programs like Skype or Ventrilo.

Does the game check against who you're playing with, or does it just boot you out if it sees any Party/Private Chat going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

9999DMG posted:

Does anyone who was watching the IGN stream know what that weird enemy was? It was hard to see with the bad compression, but I thought it looked like a glowy white squid-thing with a crab claw.

I was thinking it might have been perhaps one of those things that were said to spawn from other people's dropped loot and all that?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

k3nn posted:

If anyone's watching the IGN stream, is the game actually that difficult or is she just poo poo? It looks like she's dying to tons of avoidable stuff but I dunno if thats just part and parcel of console games.

Both of them have actually beaten dark souls, so it is probably a mixture.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic

gravyflood posted:

Does the game check against who you're playing with, or does it just boot you out if it sees any Party/Private Chat going on?

You can't use it at all.

If you've played Modern Warfare 2, it's similar to that. It won't let you play if it sees you in a chat.

Reive
May 21, 2009

gravyflood posted:

You can't invite anyone particular anyway, and they'd have to already be in game to see the markers for co-op, therefore they'd never be in a chat.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

So do we know for certain now that wanting to invade others as a black phantom is based on using a consumable item, as opposed to whenever you want?

http://goo.gl/FE4sk

Oddhair
Mar 21, 2004

I clicked on someone else's referral for preparetodie, and I can't see where to get my referral code. Nothing seems terribly interactive, I even connected with Facebook which I never do. What gives?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

ireladd posted:

So do we know for certain now that wanting to invade others as a black phantom is based on using a consumable item, as opposed to whenever you want?

http://goo.gl/FE4sk
Yes, but covenants also provide different avenues to PvP, like gravelords, or hunting down and punishing 'sinners'. I'm trying to stay mostly unspoiled, but I do know that much.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Oddhair posted:

I clicked on someone else's referral for preparetodie, and I can't see where to get my referral code. Nothing seems terribly interactive, I even connected with Facebook which I never do. What gives?
Bring the top bar down by hovering over the soul bar (top center), it will open a pane, there's a Refer a Friend link under your rank and tokens on the left side.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
How do you "play" the glyph wall puzzle? I went through it with the google chrome developer tools but now all the glyphs are lit and nothing has happened.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

sighnoceros posted:

How do you "play" the glyph wall puzzle? I went through it with the google chrome developer tools but now all the glyphs are lit and nothing has happened.

Log out, clear history, and log back in, then do it over. You should be getting little messages every 5th or so. Thats how you know its working. At the end you put in your email and get a code.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
OK, thanks. How are you supposed to actually "play" it legitimately? I found the first glyph glowing but then I didn't see anything else. Is there some indication as to which glyph is supposed to be next?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

sighnoceros posted:

OK, thanks. How are you supposed to actually "play" it legitimately? I found the first glyph glowing but then I didn't see anything else. Is there some indication as to which glyph is supposed to be next?

I think you're supposed to play it like the game, in a brutal, soul crushing trial and error??? I dont think there is a way to beat it tactically.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

homeless snail posted:

Yes, but covenants also provide different avenues to PvP, like gravelords, or hunting down and punishing 'sinners'. I'm trying to stay mostly unspoiled, but I do know that much.

Can anyone expand on how you get the consumables? I'm getting it's guessing it's certain mob drops, or something you can buy, and I'm hoping it's not going to be anything too rare. I want to invade as much as possible.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
The biggest mistake in this game so far, that I can see, is that it takes forever to get an item that allows you to leave messages on the ground. I believe Samurai Sanders said he got fifteen or so hours in before he found it. That is absolutely ridiculous.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

sighnoceros posted:

The next glyph glows periodically if I remember correctly. You can force it to glow with some javascript call but I don't remember what it was now.

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

I was made to understand there were grilled cheese sandwiches here.

Smelly posted:

You can't use it at all.

If you've played Modern Warfare 2, it's similar to that. It won't let you play if it sees you in a chat.

Minor nitpick, but MW2 still allows private chat - I haven't seen anything saying this game forbids it as well. Party chat yes, but not private chat. Pretty sure they can't disable that.

vv that all came from a Kotaku article which only says you can't use party chat - they didn't say anything specific about private chat even though they paint them with the same brush:

quote:

Curious players have also wondered about how Dark Souls on Xbox 360 will handle Party Chat and Private Chat functionality. Well, the game does not support player-to-player voice chat over Xbox Live. No real surprises there. However, if players engage a Party Chat session, Dark Souls will instantly kick you out of your current game and boot you to the main menu.

weinus fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 29, 2011

Reive
May 21, 2009

weinus posted:

Minor nitpick, but MW2 still allows private chat - I haven't seen anything saying this game forbids it as well. Party chat yes, but not private chat. Pretty sure they can't disable that.

There was a big discussion about it in the previous thread, they got special permission from MS to disable all forms of voice chat.

9999DMG
May 20, 2007
Gently caress this poo poo.
Wow, that British chick on the IGN stream just did a suicide run past a half-dozen small dragons to get some loot, then ran back past all those dragons again. Now they're reading equipment stats in fake nerd-lisp. gently caress the haters, this stream is good stuff.

EDIT: The non-HD stream was lagging like crazy for me, but the HD stream is smooth as silk. Try watching the HD stream if the normal one is giving you problems.

Double-EDIT: Those are some sweet looking sculptures.

9999DMG fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Sep 30, 2011

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

9999DMG posted:

Wow, that British chick on the IGN stream just did a suicide run past a half-dozen small dragons to get some loot, then ran back past all those dragons again. Now they're reading equipment stats in fake nerd-lisp. gently caress the haters, this stream is good stuff.

EDIT: The non-HD stream was lagging like crazy for me, but the HD stream is smooth as silk. Try watching the HD stream if the normal one is giving you problems.

Double-EDIT: Those are some sweet looking sculptures.

I'm enamored by the dude making the Dark Knight bust LIVE ON CAMERA. It's probably weird, but I like watching the dull, very skillful work that it takes to make that stuff.

9999DMG
May 20, 2007
Gently caress this poo poo.

Jetpack Postman posted:

I'm enamored by the dude making the Dark Knight bust LIVE ON CAMERA. It's probably weird, but I like watching the dull, very skillful work that it takes to make that stuff.

They should make that the PIP instead of the players.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
This stream is significantly better than I was expecting. The woman playing is actually pretty good and they're not really all that annoying.

So yeah, safe to watch.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
The beard guy is kind of annoying but the stream is alright. No problems with the SD stream here.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So in the tutorial area is there any reward for killing the tutorial boss the first time you meet him before you get your primary weapon/shield? I was thinking when I got the game my first character is going to be a bandit with the black turpentine bombs as my initial gift so I can just burn his rear end out the first time I meet him.

So are there any ideas what some of those more obscure starting gifts do?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
The only thing wrong is the British chick getting to play before Friday :argh:

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

DeathSandwich posted:

So in the tutorial area is there any reward for killing the tutorial boss the first time you meet him before you get your primary weapon/shield?

Yes. Good luck.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

DeathSandwich posted:

So in the tutorial area is there any reward for killing the tutorial boss the first time you meet him before you get your primary weapon/shield?

Yes, you get a unique weapon that requires a ton of strength to use. Because it requires such high stats, it's advised to just get it at the beginning of your NG+ where you can just decimate him easily.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

DeathSandwich posted:

So in the tutorial area is there any reward for killing the tutorial boss the first time you meet him before you get your primary weapon/shield? I was thinking when I got the game my first character is going to be a bandit with the black turpentine bombs as my initial gift so I can just burn his rear end out the first time I meet him.

To answer your question, yes! The demon drops his massive hammer. It requires over 45 strength to use. It is an entire waste to get on your first playthrough, because there is almost no way you'll have that much strength by the end of your playthrough - and you can get it on NG+ when you have your better gear and stats. And will have the chance to use it.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity
Yeah - the IGN stream is surprisingly enjoyable. I don't want to spoil myself much further, though, as the game looks absolutely incredible. The less you know going in, the better ( I think ).

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

DeathSandwich posted:

So are there any ideas what some of those more obscure starting gifts do?

People have already answered your question but here's a video of a japanese guy who killed him by punching him in the butt for 45 minutes, enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzrQC5hlKOg&feature=player_embedded

waspinator
Oct 18, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
This IGN stream is definitely good stuff. I wasn't expecting it to be, but I'm impressed.

http://goo.gl/Me1sl

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

KezzKezzan posted:

To answer your question, yes! The demon drops his massive hammer. It requires over 45 strength to use. It is an entire waste to get on your first playthrough, because there is almost no way you'll have that much strength by the end of your playthrough - and you can get it on NG+ when you have your better gear and stats. And will have the chance to use it.

Using a weapon two-handed applies 1.5x your strength to the weapon; that means a bigger damage boost to smashier weapons like hammers as opposed to dexier weapons like rapiers, and relaxed equipment requirements. So really, you only need 31 or 32 str to swing that daemonic gently caress-hammer around, which is a bit of a strength-heavy specialization but easily attainable in one playthrough.

StringOfLetters fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 30, 2011

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

waspinator posted:

This IGN stream is definitely good stuff. I wasn't expecting it to be, but I'm impressed.

http://goo.gl/Me1sl

Yeah, definitely a pleasant surprise. That woman is pretty good at the game, and while the commentary is a little frayed around the edges they're doing a great job showing off lots of cool stuff. Now I'm just even more peeved that I have to wait for the UK release date because it looks like everything I could've asked for in a follow-up :argh:

It's funny though how IGN is just all-out whoring this game out. Is this how they roll generally nowadays, or did Namco-Bandai just give them tons of cash, or what?

Ralconn
Aug 2, 2006

I really need to stop watching these streams but they keep pulling me in. The IGN one is really good quality too.

Here is my referral link, whatever it does. http://goo.gl/KNACU

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

StringOfLetters posted:

Using a weapon two-handed applies 1.5x your strength to the weapon; that means a bigger damage boost to smashier weapons like hammers as opposed to dexier weapons like rapiers, and relaxed equipment requirements. So really, you only need 31 or 32 str to swing that daemonic gently caress-hammer around, which is a bit of a strength-heavy specialization but easily attainable in one playthrough.

I don't know if that strength bonus gets applied to damage. I'm not sure about Dark Souls, but every weapon you two-handed in Demon's Souls gave close to a %20-30+ damage boost regardless of weapon, even Dragon weapons that didn't scale with any stat.

DotyManX
Aug 9, 2004
Yeah I drive a minivan, big deal, wanna fight about it?
My own referral link: http://goo.gl/Em5AQ

Any chance Amazon will deliver preorders early?...please?

Wang
Apr 10, 2003

dance dance ferret revolution

I don't think Amazon will early distribute the pre-orders, I pre-ordered madden 12 and live in arizona where there's a distribution center so I get things super fast and it still came release date at like noon.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

The IGN stream just had a severe framerate drop on the 360 version for a couple seconds while descending a ladder. :ohdear:

Agnostic watermelon
Jul 1, 2009

I'm a lil' Brony!
I have a few questions about the starting items

1- Is it possible to find a master key elsewhere in the game?

2- Does the pendant really have no purpose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Gyoru posted:

The IGN stream just had a severe framerate drop on the 360 version for a couple seconds while descending a ladder. :ohdear:

Have they had any other issues so far? From what I've heard it's mostly fine so I'm hoping that was just a fluke.

• Locked thread