Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
This game looks like Castlevania, except every single enemy has the potential to kick your rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
I watched a bit of the stream, but stopped because I would rather go in fresh. It isn't that bad. The girl and one of the guys are pretty good commentators, but the dude reading the twitters is incredibly obnoxious. I wish they would've answered my questions about equipment and the little icons under the health and stamina, but there were too many other twits twitting about.

I'm so drat excited about this stupid game. Tuesday can't come soon enough. There is a lot of variety in weapons, someone said, but how about armor? I was always disappointed in Demon's Souls lack of varied armor.

Also please click my link, soul-brothers!
http://goo.gl/qOeUg

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

LLCoolJD posted:

This game looks like Castlevania, except every single enemy has the potential to kick your rear end.
Well, only at first, eventually you will get good enough and gain enough levels that the enemies in many areas will be much less of a threat. You will slowly move outwards from the center, making a bigger and bigger area that you are comfortable moving through, until eventually almost the whole map is like that. That was my experience with SOTN as well.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, only at first, eventually you will get good enough and gain enough levels that the enemies in many areas will be much less of a threat. You will slowly move outwards from the center, making a bigger and bigger area that you are comfortable moving through, until eventually almost the whole map is like that. That was my experience with SOTN as well.

SOTN didn't really have areas where I thought "Let me come back here later, these enemies are too strong." I just kept fighting through. Is that possible here? I mean, I expect to die a lot in the process, but I don't care about that. And there is always NG+ for a whole new level of challenge.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

LLCoolJD posted:

Yes and no. If it's anything like Demon's Souls stuff will ruin you until you get the mechanics and the enemies figured out.

For the hell of it I went from a NG++ character to a NG character. Demon's Souls feels tremendously easy now, to the point where I'm baffled how I had so much difficulty on my original playthrough. Of course now I'm familiar with the enemies, what weapons I like and how to tear apart bosses. Also how to farm and dupe upgrade shards to save myself hours of farming :ssh:.

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011
But of a crap post, but click my link: http://goo.gl/xJ5sS

Let's goon the hell out of this poo poo.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Darth Windu posted:

SOTN didn't really have areas where I thought "Let me come back here later, these enemies are too strong." I just kept fighting through. Is that possible here? I mean, I expect to die a lot in the process, but I don't care about that. And there is always NG+ for a whole new level of challenge.
Well, the two areas that I have access to that are like that, I think they are both because I don't have the right kind of equipment, not that they are too strong as such. The real thing is the environment and not knowing where the enemies are.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

http://goo.gl/0e9k9

Clicking on all the links, tempted by so many of the spoilers :ohdear:

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Here's my link for the website thingy: http://goo.gl/aYyhc I clicked everyone who has posted their's so far.

Why isn't it Tuesday yet?

AllisonByProxy fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Sep 30, 2011

Jetpack Postman
Jun 30, 2011

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, the two areas that I have access to that are like that, I think they are both because I don't have the right kind of equipment, not that they are too strong as such. The real thing is the environment and not knowing where the enemies are.

I think it's safe to say that "strength" is still closely tied to equipment rather than stats. The guys on the IGN stream exploited their dozens of hours of experience to get a great early-game sword and are easily rolling through the early areas. So yeah, if you have crap equipment you probably won't get very far very quickly.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The more souls, the better!

http://goo.gl/P7lIc

So has anyone ordered from Amazon.com up to Canada for release day games? How fast are they? At the time the CDN site didn't have the preorder up.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Jetpack Postman posted:

I think it's safe to say that "strength" is still closely tied to equipment rather than stats. The guys on the IGN stream exploited their dozens of hours of experience to get a great early-game sword and are easily rolling through the early areas. So yeah, if you have crap equipment you probably won't get very far very quickly.
Well, more like a specific kind, there is one group of enemies that my weapons all do a flat 10 damage per hit to, and another that my attacks go right through without touching.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

The more souls, the better!

http://goo.gl/P7lIc

So has anyone ordered from Amazon.com up to Canada for release day games? How fast are they? At the time the CDN site didn't have the preorder up.
If you're in Canada pre-order from BestBuy. They don't guarantee release day shipping but I got my last game off them same-day release. Plus your get 800 BB reward zone points (aka. $10 gift certificate) which you can put toward and in-store purchase.

Plus they actually have the Limited Edition stuff available with no hassle.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, more like a specific kind, there is one group of enemies that my weapons all do a flat 10 damage per hit to, and another that my attacks go right through without touching.
Haha, that's fantastically cruel.

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Sep 30, 2011

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hmm, maybe I should just cancel my pre-order than...

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

It seems chances are good that the website tokens aren't going to do anything. After reading some threads on the forums over there, it seems like a lot functionality broke some weeks ago - for example, you can't register a forum account because the image that has your anti-spam code won't load. You're also supposed to get tokens at 25 (edit: this one still works, it just takes a while to register) and 50 likes on Dark Souls Facebook page, but that isn't happening anymore.

There's another puzzle on the pre-order page: click on the bottom right of the grate and a screenshot pops up with three choices - attack/magic, block, and run. There are a dozen screenshots and the same response won't work on the same screenshot. <--Apparently this can remove souls from your little meter if you get it wrong, be careful.

Ornamented Death fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 30, 2011

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Since I've been clicking on people's links might as well toss mine in here too although I have no idea what it does: http://goo.gl/DnL5p

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

evilalien posted:

Yes, you get a unique weapon that requires a ton of strength to use. Because it requires such high stats, it's advised to just get it at the beginning of your NG+ where you can just decimate him easily.

Is it confirmed that you redo the tutorial area in a NG+? You didn't in Demon's Souls- it just kicked you right to the Nexus.

9999DMG
May 20, 2007
Gently caress this poo poo.
Now on the IGN stream: Karoake! DOOOOOON'T STOP! BELIIIEEEEVING! If this is what they're like after 9 hours, I'd love to see what they're like after 24 hours of Dark Souls. Sadly, I'll be at work, and won't have access to a computer.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Schwartzcough posted:

Is it confirmed that you redo the tutorial area in a NG+? You didn't in Demon's Souls- it just kicked you right to the Nexus.

You definitely could redo the tutorial in Demon's Souls, the choice would come up when starting a NG+ from a cleared game save.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Well, its not a big deal since you can travel back to the tutorial area any time you want, I assume in new game plus as well. New enemies are there though.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

You definitely could redo the tutorial in Demon's Souls, the choice would come up when starting a NG+ from a cleared game save.

But you start NG+ immediately after the final cutscene, how would you ever have a 'cleared save'? :psyduck:
It'll give you the choice if you start a new profile in another slot after already playing it though.

EDIT: Any really good Dark Souls wallpapers? I need something fresh.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
So I haven't actually been watching the stream, is it a group of people that have actually played the game/its predecessor before or is it a bunch of screaming newbies that have never played demon souls let alone dark souls?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

DeathSandwich posted:

So I haven't actually been watching the stream, is it a group of people that have actually played the game/its predecessor before or is it a bunch of screaming newbies that have never played demon souls let alone dark souls?

The former. The girl has played it the most, I think, and one of the other guys has played a bunch too. They're both very good, beating several bosses on the first try. The third person is a catch-phrase screaming, awful-bearded idiot.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Darth Windu posted:

The former. The girl has played it the most, I think, and one of the other guys has played a bunch too. They're both very good, beating several bosses on the first try. The third person is a catch-phrase screaming, awful-bearded idiot.
Was there a catch-phrase screaming, awful-bearded idiot quota that they had to fill or something?

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Samurai Sanders posted:

Was there a catch-phrase screaming, awful-bearded idiot quota that they had to fill or something?

It's IGN.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, its not a big deal since you can travel back to the tutorial area any time you want, I assume in new game plus as well. New enemies are there though.

The issue isn't getting back to the tutorial area, the issue is that the tutorial boss only drops a special item if you kill him the FIRST time you see him in the tutorial. People were suggesting getting it on NG+, but if it skips you over the tutorial like it does in Demon's Souls, your only chance to get it would be during your first run.

And you could redo the tutorial on NG+ in Demon's Souls? Did you have to turn the game off before the credits were done or something?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Wow, I mean I know this whole game is meant to be hard as hell but the boss fight with the smaller fast guy and the giant slow fat guy looks absolutely insane.

Yeehaw McKickass
Dec 15, 2004
I was pretty iffy about buying this until I saw GB's quick look. It seems that if you play smart, you generally will be okay.

...Right?

Viash
Mar 17, 2003

actionjackson posted:

Wow, I mean I know this whole game is meant to be hard as hell but the boss fight with the smaller fast guy and the giant slow fat guy looks absolutely insane.

A lot of people have been saying that's one of the hardest, if not the hardest fight in the game.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Yeehaw McKickass posted:

I was pretty iffy about buying this until I saw GB's quick look. It seems that if you play smart, you generally will be okay.

...Right?
Well, there's smart, and then there's knowing that less than a second after you walk into that boss room, the boss will lunge at you and knock you down.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
What a strange game. The only winning move is to not play.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
It really boggles me that a game like this exists. It's really wonderful. Just great, all around.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
This game will blow you away... a thrilling, visceral experience. 11/10
-IGN.com

http://goo.gl/KsHi4

Someone figure out what this does.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Rexicon1 posted:

-IGN.com

Counting all sources of bias, I'm expecting low-to-mid 9.x from IGN.

vvvvv Well that's certainly a welcome surprise. I was getting sick of Panterabeard not answering my tweets about stairs, pretzels, and proper exercise warm-up techniques.

enojy fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Sep 30, 2011

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
The IGN stream is currently being played by the guy who runs the wikidot, with the Namco community manager doing commentary. Considerably less annoying than the people who were playing when the stream started.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008

Gyoru posted:

Every gift aside from the Master Key can be found or purchased throughout the game.

From the last page, but just to confirm - does this include the pendant?

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Rexicon1 posted:

-IGN.com
Maybe if it was GTA Dark Souls.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

doctor 7 posted:

Maybe if it was GTA Dark Souls.

NITO, My cousin! Let us go find some TEETEES.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
So uh...I ran into a normal enemy that took six critical hits in a row to kill, with a knife that is +100 to critical hits. I think I might be underleveled.

I'm still amazed that I was able to do six parries in a row. I doubt I will be that lucky again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeedyV
Nov 10, 2005

Water Triiiiibe
I cannot recall the last time I anticipated a release of any sort like I am this one. Thank goodness there's the first round of the MLB playoffs to take up my attention through the 4th...

I am a lemming. http://goo.gl/9A8Ol

• Locked thread